Start by marking “Food Photography: From Snapshots to Great Shots” as Want to Read:
Food Photography: From Snapshots to Great Shots

Food Photography: From Snapshots to Great Shots

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  202 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Are you a “foodie” looking to take eye-catching photos of your culinary concoctions? Do you have a food blog that you’d like to enhance with better visuals? Do you want to create photos that conjure up the flavors of your favorite foods but lack the photographic technique to make it happen? Then this book is for you!

In Food Photography: From Snapshots to Great Shots, phot
Published August 3rd 2011 by Peachpit Press (first published August 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Food Photography, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Food Photography

Bobbie
I'm still figuring out all the ropes to my DSLR camera, but one thing I have wanted to learn for awhile is food photography. While a good camera can help with your photographs, I've learned that it's really the photographer that creates beautiful shots.

Food Photography: From Snapshots to Great Shots is a book that I devoured. I have read a few photography books, but this one was simply awesome. I loved how in depth it was.

I found that it was easy to understand and I learned alot from it. This
Yasmine Alfouzan
This is it.
This is the most detailed step-by-step food photography book I've ever seen that shows you EVERYTHING you need to know in order to become a food photographer. From styling your food till post-processing. A LOT I already knew, but I guess it helps people who know a lot as well. It shows you every single result for every single step so you will never be confused. I wish all books were like this one. Must-have if you're interested.

P.S.
Even though the equipment used is very expensive for
Amanda Powell
Some good info

I originally bought this to get tips and ideas on food styling and composing photos to tell a story. I did get a lot of good tips, but this is better for someone w/o wants to learn about food photography as a whole. It provides a lot of beginner info (making it a great refresher course), but also delves into more technical points of photography as well. There is also a great resource for editing photos (something you can never learn too much about) I love how she analyzes each phot
Lacie
Apr 26, 2012 Lacie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: arts
I'm not a food stylist; I'm a portrait photographer, but this book was available through our library system, and I'm always interested in photography resources - portrait or other. Interestingly, this book isn’t confined to food photography. While the authoress does discuss and apply her points to food photography, everything in the book, with the exception of chapter 4 on food styling, can and should be applied to other photography genres, as well. A chapter is devoted to each of the following ...more
Ingrid
Comida y fotografía. Oh wait! Hay gente que se gana la vida fotografiando comida y hace fotos realmente buenas por las que le pagan (/mode pulla off).

Es un libro interesante. Todo lo que se nos puede ocurrir que hay detrás de este tipo de fotografías y más (fotógrafos, estilistas, etc.). Trata la iluminación de la escena, hay algún que otro truco sobre preparación de la comida (y cómo escoger el producto que vamos a fotografiar), y aspectos fotográficos básicos que se pueden aplicar a cualquier
Mahdi Meskin
the best thing about this book was order!
it learns you every thing in a neat and tidy order. so if you dont know anything about food photography (and even photography), you can start by this. of course you should be interested to learning and try the challenges.
anexactinglife
I have not improved the food photography on my blog which is ENTIRELY my fault. If I had practiced the tips in this book, I'd be a pro by now!
Lana Svitankova
Хороша книжка для початківців на теренах фудфото, особливо цінна тим, що дає конкретні поради по обробці фото. Про композицію зовсім трохи, так само, як і про секрети з фейк-іжею, але для тих, хто знімає те, що готує сам - практично найкраща з можливих книжок.
Rohini
Good read for a beginner food photography. I wish there was more on food styling though as it is an essential componenet to a mouthwatering shot!
Michelle
Helpful. Definitely helpful. It covers the gamut of not only styling and setting up your shot, but how to post-process in Photoshop. Of course some of it was very "duh," and if I care enough to shell out the money for some of the lighting setups, I know my shots would be much, much better. I figure if it caused me to reflect upon my shot a little more when I'm taking it, it was definitely worth it.
Bobby
Jun 03, 2015 Bobby rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Bobby by: Kirk Tuck's photo blog
Very clear and approachable, particularly for beginners. As a very experienced amateur, I did learn some things here I didn't know before. Minus one star because many of the lighting setups and post-processes are too similar. Could also use more food styling and prop tips, though what is here is valuable.
Gaurav Prabhu
A very good book for understanding the basics of Food Photography. Nicely explained by Nicole. The simplicity of this book is a great appeal. The icing on the cake are the few tips & tricks which Nicole shares throughout. Recommended for Food Photographers.
Brian Evans
Solid take on the basics of food photography, covering lighting, composition, styling, and editing (which is probably the weakest portion of the book, but honestly what are you going to do there that hasn't been done). Easy to read.
Kevin
LOVE this book. Such a great way to look at photography. How she did the set up is GREAT. What I DIDN'T like, was the basics of shooting. I feel like EVERY book is fluffed with that stuff.
Melissa
Fantastic introduction to food photography, outlining everything from basic styling and props to editing in Photoshop. Great full color photos throughout and lots of step-by-step instructions.
Saira
I bought this book to learn more about how to photograph my desserts for my business and baking blog. This includes a lot more info for entrees but it was still all useful.
Pam
Goes through quite a bit of the basics that I already knew. The best part to me was towards the end when she goes through her step-by-step photoshop edits.
John
I picked up a couple neat food styling tips, and it reinforced that I already know the basic lighting setup for food.
Kim P
Love this book! Full of great tips, beautifully photographed examples and lots of inspiration.
Ingrid Williams
I highly recommend this book to anyone who is interested in food or product photgraphy.
Colette Martin
Great resource. Since Nicole uses the same camera as I do, I found this book very helpful.
Dana
Dana marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2015
Michael Laney
Michael Laney marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
Quynh Anh
Quynh Anh marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2015
Silver
Silver added it
Aug 22, 2015
Azmat
Azmat marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2015
LY
LY marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2015
  • Plate to Pixel: Digital Food Photography & Styling
  • The Photographer's Mind: Creative Thinking for Better Digital Photos
  • Understanding Close-Up Photography: Creative Close Encounters with Or Without a Macro Lens
  • Within the Frame: The Journey of Photographic Vision
  • Creative Black & White: Digital Photography Tips & Techniques
  • Composition: From Snapshots to Great Shots
  • Night Photography: Finding Your Way In The Dark
  • On-Camera Flash Techniques for Digital Wedding and Portrait Photography
  • People Pictures: 30 Exercises for Creating Authentic Photographs
  • The Hot Shoe Diaries: Big Light from Small Flashes (Voices That Matter)
  • The Adobe Photoshop CS5 Book for Digital Photographers
  • Photography and the Art of Seeing: A Visual Perception Workshop for Film and Digital Photography
  • Light: Science and Magic: An Introduction to Photographic Lighting
  • Picture Perfect Practice: A Self-Training Guide to Mastering the Challenges of Taking World-Class Photographs (Voices That Matter)
  • Skin: The Complete Guide to Digitally Lighting, Photographing, and Retouching Faces and Bodies
  • Speedliter's Handbook: Learning to Craft Light with Canon Speedlites
  • Painting With Light
  • Mastering Digital SLR Photography
I’m a full-time photographer and author, with books published through Peachpit Press, Craft&Vision, and also self-published titles. I love all things photography, and enjoy photographing landscapes, food, and also travel as much as possible.

I also have an online store, where I sell post-processing tools, such as preset, actions and textures, along with some of my own self-published eBooks, all
More about Nicole S. Young...
Canon EOS 60D: From Snapshots to Great Shots Canon 7D Plug in with onOne Software: A Photographer's Guide to Vision and Creative Expression Canon EOS 70D: From Snapshots to Great Shots The Inspired Photographer