Start by marking “The Price of Liberty” as Want to Read:
The Price of Liberty

The Price of Liberty

It's a new day in America--but old contracts must still be paid.

Jack McEnroe is a construction worker with an unusual job: building a prison for terrorists. Like his neighbors in Red Rock, Wyoming, Jack isn't particularly concerned about politics. In a depressed rural economy, he's just grateful to have a job.

Jack's boss, Dave Fetters, is grateful, too: he has a no-bid, co
Published (first published July 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Price of Liberty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Price of Liberty

Kathy
Oct 02, 2011 Kathy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book right up to the end. The ending was disappointing. It seemed once again that this author, like many others, ran out of steam before the book was finished and did not know how to bring all the story lines to a close. I won't say anything to spoil the story but really expected to see some kick-ass justice to happen at the end. What did happen did not satisfy MY sense of justice.

Characters were very well developed, you hated the bad guys and believed the good guys were doing their
Julie
The genre of this book is hard to classify. It starts off as sort of a literary vein, with a lot exploration of Jack McEnroe, the main character, and others in his life. The writing here is eloquent, and the setting and the people of this small town really come to life.

The mystery/thriller portion of the story takes awhile to start, and that is where I had some troubles. Kyla, Jack’s ex-wife, discovers the billing fraud--and this discovery and attempted cover-up is the impetus for the entire act
Endelea
Sep 09, 2011 Endelea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Price of Liberty came with one surprise after another. Even though it's a suspense novel it is filled with some serious bouts of humor that I was not expecting but thoroughly enjoyed. I often looked forward to getting back to it because it was so entertaining and fast paced. I loved the way Graff tied up all the loose ends with irony, wit and a few unexpected events. He also did an excellent job of getting in each characters head, you never had to wonder which POV the story was being told fr ...more
Debbie
Jun 11, 2016 Debbie rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle, free
I had planned to rate this book 4 stars, but then got to the ending....bleh.
Quoting Kathy from GA's review-
"I liked this book right up to the end. The ending was disappointing. It seemed once again that this author, like many others, ran out of steam before the book was finished and did not know how to bring all the storylines to a close. I won't say anything to spoil the story but really expected to see some kick-ass justice to happen at the end."
There definitely was suspence, a smidgen of roma
Rachel
Oct 17, 2011 Rachel rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Disappointing book. Started out with a very interesting plot- characters were well-rounded- complicated, like real life is- and set in Wyoming which is one of my favorite places in the US.
But the author ruined it for me by inserting too much of his opinion and making the book political- made it hard for me to enjoy the story b/c of his dismissal of the other viewpoint through shallow arguments.
I don't like it when I feel the author pushing their agenda on the reader.
Just my opinion of course.
Wilde Sky
Apr 22, 2014 Wilde Sky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A construction worker and his wife get involved in a life threatening adventure when a fraud is discovered.

I found this book to be a real page turner, with a series of believably weird / stupid characters and events that spun out of control.
Bryan
Mar 30, 2011 Bryan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great read, suspenseful with a wry sense of humor. A splendid sense of place and character amid smooth transitions from one point-of-view to the next. The ending's a little too shoot-em-up for me, but that's just me. Definitely recommended.
Mary Kay
Book abour a rugged construction worker who is helping build a prison for terrorists in the middle of nowhere. Plenty of action & underhanded shenannigans, as well as government-type snafus.
Helen
Mar 13, 2014 Helen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of action and even humour at times. I though it should have been called "The Price of Justice". Great sense of place (in Wyoming) and time with well developed characters
Cindy
Cindy rated it liked it
Jul 07, 2013
Timothy Evavold
Timothy Evavold rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2015
Junofive
Junofive rated it liked it
Nov 10, 2011
Jim
Jim rated it liked it
Oct 13, 2011
Annab
Annab rated it liked it
Apr 13, 2012
Christen
Christen rated it it was ok
Dec 12, 2016
Paul Rivard
Paul Rivard rated it it was ok
Mar 17, 2013
Brian Gore
Mind candy.
Kirstin
Kirstin rated it really liked it
Jun 21, 2013
Margaret
Margaret rated it liked it
Feb 07, 2015
Jose L Nunez Rosa
Jose L Nunez Rosa rated it it was amazing
Feb 15, 2015
Scott Buskirk
Scott Buskirk rated it really liked it
Jul 06, 2016
John Burns
John Burns rated it it was amazing
Jul 04, 2014
Adam
Adam rated it liked it
May 02, 2011
DeAnn Oneill
DeAnn Oneill rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2016
Charles Pietroforte
Charles Pietroforte rated it it was ok
Apr 11, 2014
Treasa
Treasa rated it liked it
Aug 10, 2012
Kari Carlson
Kari Carlson rated it liked it
Jul 03, 2012
Ryan
Ryan rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2014
Beth
Beth rated it it was ok
Jul 29, 2011
Courtney
Courtney rated it liked it
Feb 10, 2012
Keir Graff is the author of One Nation, Under God, My Fellow Americans, and, writing as Michael McCulloch, Cold Lessons. His short stories have appeared in a wide variety of publications. He lives in Chicago."
More about Keir Graff...