The Price of Liberty

The Price of Liberty

3.03 of 5 stars 3.03  ·  rating details  ·  37 ratings  ·  10 reviews
It's a new day in America--but old contracts must still be paid.

Jack McEnroe is a construction worker with an unusual job: building a prison for terrorists. Like his neighbors in Red Rock, Wyoming, Jack isn't particularly concerned about politics. In a depressed rural economy, he's just grateful to have a job.

Jack's boss, Dave Fetters, is grateful, too: he has a no-bid, co...more
Published (first published July 1st 2010)

Julie
The genre of this book is hard to classify. It starts off as sort of a literary vein, with a lot exploration of Jack McEnroe, the main character, and others in his life. The writing here is eloquent, and the setting and the people of this small town really come to life.

The mystery/thriller portion of the story takes awhile to start, and that is where I had some troubles. Kyla, Jack’s ex-wife, discovers the billing fraud--and this discovery and attempted cover-up is the impetus for the entire act...more
Endelea
The Price of Liberty came with one surprise after another. Even though it's a suspense novel it is filled with some serious bouts of humor that I was not expecting but thoroughly enjoyed. I often looked forward to getting back to it because it was so entertaining and fast paced. I loved the way Graff tied up all the loose ends with irony, wit and a few unexpected events. He also did an excellent job of getting in each characters head, you never had to wonder which POV the story was being told fr...more
Wilde Sky
A construction worker and his wife get involved in a life threatening adventure when a fraud is discovered.

I found this book to be a real page turner, with a series of believably weird / stupid characters and events that spun out of control.
Helen
Lots of action and even humour at times. I though it should have been called "The Price of Justice". Great sense of place (in Wyoming) and time with well developed characters
Rachel
Disappointing book. Started out with a very interesting plot- characters were well-rounded- complicated, like real life is- and set in Wyoming which is one of my favorite places in the US.
But the author ruined it for me by inserting too much of his opinion and making the book political- made it hard for me to enjoy the story b/c of his dismissal of the other viewpoint through shallow arguments.
I don't like it when I feel the author pushing their agenda on the reader.
Just my opinion of course....more
Kathy
I liked this book right up to the end. The ending was disappointing. It seemed once again that this author, like many others, ran out of steam before the book was finished and did not know how to bring all the story lines to a close. I won't say anything to spoil the story but really expected to see some kick-ass justice to happen at the end. What did happen did not satisfy MY sense of justice.

Characters were very well developed, you hated the bad guys and believed the good guys were doing their...more
Bryan
Great read, suspenseful with a wry sense of humor. A splendid sense of place and character amid smooth transitions from one point-of-view to the next. The ending's a little too shoot-em-up for me, but that's just me. Definitely recommended.
Mary Kay
Book abour a rugged construction worker who is helping build a prison for terrorists in the middle of nowhere. Plenty of action & underhanded shenannigans, as well as government-type snafus.
Moretta (Meetta)
Moretta (Meetta) marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Chris Winfield
Chris Winfield marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Wendy
Wendy marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Shallotte Elminus
Shallotte Elminus marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Sid333
Sid333 marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
Christy Parker
Christy Parker marked it as to-read
May 25, 2014
Lucie
Lucie marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
Shawna Reid
Shawna Reid marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
Jenn Baggett
Jenn Baggett marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
Tracie Solarte
Tracie Solarte marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
Marta Grace
Marta Grace marked it as to-read
May 10, 2014
Fernando Morales
Fernando Morales marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Keir Graff is the author of One Nation, Under God, My Fellow Americans, and, writing as Michael McCulloch, Cold Lessons. His short stories have appeared in a wide variety of publications. He lives in Chicago."
More about Keir Graff...
The Other Felix My Fellow Americans One Nation, Under God Reference Books Bulletin