Start by marking “Picket Line” as Want to Read:
Picket Line

Picket Line

This is the story of Beatrice, a Midwestern girl in northern California, caught in a mounting battle between environmentalists and an unpopular land developer. In order to soothe her restless craving to belong, she must pick a side between her well-meaning boss Rex and a growing mass of protesters fighting to save their treasured Redwoods. In this in-between state, Picket ...more
Paperback, First, 259 pages
Published August 2011 by Easel Ain't Easy (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Picket Line, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Picket Line

Raina
Apr 28, 2014 Raina rated it really liked it
When you need a job, how badly do you REALLY. NEED. A JOB?
Bad enough to mow lawns for an evil developer trying to cut down old growth forests? Bad enough to picket your former coworkers when you finally have enough of working for the man?

I picked up my copy of this story at the Olympia Comics Festival a few years ago, but didn't get around to reading it (when I own something, that usually takes longer) until this month.

The story reads like a memoir, though Wiederhoeft (according to her site - ht
Hannah
Aug 27, 2011 Hannah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Great graphic novel about being a stranger in a new place and trying to find your place in life. I love Breena Wiederhoeft's drawing style and her characters' honest expressions.

Easel Ain't Easy
Amy
Dec 13, 2011 Amy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comix, 2011
This charmingly drawn graphic novel tells the story of Bea, a college graduate who is searching for her place in the world. Her search takes her to northern California, where she lands a job with a landscaping company run by a man with tiny arms named Rex. At first, the job is just a way for Bea to pay the bills - but it turns political when Rex accepts a contract to maintain the grounds of a fancy lodge located in a centuries-old redwood forest. Chase Hedgeburn, the owner of the lodge and the f ...more
Kilean
Dec 11, 2011 Kilean rated it really liked it
Entirely deserving of a wide audience and plenty worth the time and money, Picket Line is funny, humane, and full of good storytelling. I’ve no solid recollection of how I found/clicked/stumbled upon this book and the work of Breena Wiederhoeft, but I’m glad for the discovery. There’s a little of everything on these pages in what seems, at first, the pretty straightforward story of a young woman in search of her place in the world, as it were, but soon reveals itself to be something much more la ...more
Lisa Reitz
Jan 06, 2014 Lisa Reitz rated it really liked it
This is the first graphic novel I've every read. Frankly, I never knew graphic novels existed beyond the superhero type! I enjoyed the art, the writing, and the environmental emphasis in this book. The main female character seeks to find her self, and gets wrapped up in something much bigger. Great read! Also cool that the author is from northern Wisconsin :)
Jason
Sep 15, 2011 Jason rated it it was amazing
Picket Line immerses the reader into the the gray area between right and wrong through the eyes of the main character Bea. It is a well crafted story, with memorable characters, humor, twists, drama and beautifully drawn panels that really bring the writing to life.

This debut is very impressive and has me excited for her next graphic novel!

Celica Jones
Feb 13, 2012 Celica Jones rated it it was amazing
Engaging storyline and well-rounded characters inhabit the grayness of the real-world. Beatrice, Rex, and their friends and foes feel like old friends by the final page. A beautiful and winning novel.
graham
Sep 30, 2011 graham rated it it was amazing
Granted, I'm friends with the author, but still: her debut graphic novel is charming, deftly drawn (both literally and figuratively) and nuanced in very satisfying ways.

Grab it off powells.com and help her sell some books!
Mandi
Apr 30, 2012 Mandi added it
Excellent artwork and a relatable story. Her characters are imaginitive and the detail in her drawings brings you back again and again to find new detail.
Ben
Ben rated it liked it
Mar 19, 2012
Katie
Katie rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2014
Kris
Kris rated it it was amazing
Sep 02, 2012
Ali
Ali rated it really liked it
Nov 05, 2014
Michael Labone
Michael Labone rated it liked it
Dec 06, 2016
Gerard
Gerard rated it liked it
Oct 27, 2012
Raina
Raina rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2012
Bunderlai
Bunderlai rated it it was amazing
Dec 18, 2015
E
E rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2015
Eriq Nelson
Eriq Nelson rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2013
Faith Hicks
Faith Hicks rated it really liked it
May 24, 2013
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Nov 23, 2014
Caitlin
Caitlin rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2012
Dana
Dana rated it liked it
Feb 11, 2013
Steve
Steve rated it really liked it
Aug 25, 2011
Andrea
Sep 15, 2011 Andrea rated it it was amazing
Loved it. Can't wait to read the next one!
Kelly
Kelly rated it really liked it
Mar 21, 2012
Greg
Greg rated it liked it
Nov 12, 2011
Phoebe Macdonald
Phoebe Macdonald rated it really liked it
Apr 05, 2014
Emilie
Emilie rated it it was amazing
May 15, 2016