Start by marking “Mariner's Compass (A Benni Harper Mystery #6)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Mariner's Compass

Earlene Fowler

Mariner's Compass (Benni Harper #6)

4.04  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,619 Ratings  ·  74 Reviews
Jacob Chandler knew everything about Benni Harper, and in his house were pieces of her life: a hand-carved statue of her childhood horse and a scrapbook of newspaper clippings that covered her work, her marriages, and the death of her first husband. And when Jacob Chandler died, he left his home in Morro Bay and all its contents to Benni - the only stipulation being that B ...more
Published (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Mariner's Compass, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mariner's Compass

Betty
Aug 26, 2015 Betty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this the first time several years ago. Earlene Fowler is one of my favorite authors. This book is one of my to books to relax. Bernie is surprise to receive an inheritance from someone she doesn't know; the will requires her to spend 2 weeks in the house. As begins her time she finds a dog who seems to know her. Bernie discovers a scrapbook with all the stories about her life. Grandma is holding the historical society hostage to save it. Bernie spends the days learning who the man was and ...more
George
Mar 10, 2014 George rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
#6 in the Benni Harper California rancher mystery series set in ranch country in the Coastal Mountains in the Santa Barbara area. Someone Benni doesn't know dies and leaves his whole estate to her with the condition that she lives for 2 weeks in his home in Moor Bay about 20 miles away from where Benni lives. This starts Benni on a quest to discover who he was and how she she is connected to him.

Toss in the at times strained relationship between Benni and her husband Gabe, the chief of police, c
Sabine
Sep 11, 2015 Sabine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: special-books
Benni hat geerbt - und keine Ahnung, wer dieser mysteriöse Jacob Chandler ist, der ihr einfach so sein Haus und sein ganzes Hab und Gut vermacht hat. Sein Haus in Marino Bay, nur wenige Kilometer von San Celina entfernt, scheint viel wert zu sein, doch die Erbschaft ist mit einer Bedingung verknüpft: Benni erbt nur, wenn sie zwei Wochen in diesem Haus verbringt - allein.

Natürlich ist klar, dass Gabe diese Bedingung überhaupt nicht schmeckt und er möchte, dass Benni verzichtet. Sollte sie das abe
Jim
Feb 21, 2011 Jim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I purchased this book at a local used bookstore without knowing much about it. The title "Mariner's Compass" caught my eye. In my work as a land surveyor, a compass is something I use almost every day and I liked the broader implications of a compass, something you can trust to point you in the right direction.

As I read the book, I discovered the mariner's compass the author refers to is a quilting design based on the compass rose pattern seen on the face of many compasses, not an actual compass
Sue
Feb 25, 2013 Sue rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Benni receives a mysterious bequest from a dead stranger: stay in his home alone for two weeks and inherit his entire estate. The home is 12 miles away in Morro Bay and as she stays in the home she is led on a scavenger hunt to find the true identity of the late Jacob Chandler. His identity was an easy guess at the beginning from the foreshadowing that's gone on in the previous books, but the trail of obscure clues was fun to follow with Benni as things became more strange and dangerous. She is ...more
Milly Dunaway
Jul 18, 2007 Milly Dunaway rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was was 6th book I've read in this series and each one gets better and better.

Benni Harper unexpectedly inherits the estate of a stranger named Jacob Chandler. His house in Morro Bay is worth $200,000, but Chandler's will stipulates that Benni can keep the house only if she lives in it for two weeks alone. Her over-protective husband, police chief Gabe Ortiz, is none too happy about this. But Benni is unwilling to turn down the money, and more important, her curiosity is piqued. Jacob leave
Pam Bales
Jan 22, 2016 Pam Bales rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, cozy
Benni Harper lives an interesting life in southern California running a quilting museum and helping her husband Gabe in the various crimes he solves. Her family keeps the story going and adds texture to the series. She includes a quilt block pattern as well. Good cozy read. This is book 6.
Joan M
Nov 20, 2015 Joan M rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed it very much. I loved the quilting references and the "food" references were also educational. The story was realistic, and the dialogue witty and fun. Entertaining with a few pearls of wisdom to make the time well spent.
Maureen
Jul 28, 2015 Maureen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
The Benni Harper series is one of my favorites. They are so well structured. I didn't see what the solution would be! Meeting the people and places in this book was a delight! So many layers...
Sjfstudio
Mar 19, 2014 Sjfstudio rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: quilting
Mariner's Compass was a real who done it, and well done at that. Still have a few more books in the series to read and having them come one after the other is a treat.
Judy
Feb 09, 2013 Judy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I fell into the story easily as I do with all the Benni Harper Mysteries. This one had me reading wanting to get to the conclusion so I could find out who Jacob Chandler really was. Sometime I can figure it out before the story tells me the answer, but not this time. The mystery had lots of clues and though I should have been able to solve it, I didn't solve it until Benni did. Earlene Fowler writes a fun story with lots of lovable character that are well developed. She let you really know them! ...more
Lori Limberger
Nov 07, 2013 Lori Limberger rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Katherine Clark
I read this for the Cozy Monograph. I will be referring to it in Chs. 4 and 5. It was the Best Novel Agatha for 1999.
❂ Jennifer
Dec 03, 2011 ❂ Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mystery
This was one of those mysteries that don't involve a dead body - or at least a murdered one, and it involved a bit of a scavenger hunt. I really like this series and this book didn't disappoint. The scavenger hunt part of the story kept losing my interest, I think, because she spaced the steps so far apart, with lots of other action in between. Normally I really get into hunts like that. Dove was a hoot, and the highlight of this particular story for me, although I always enjoy the interaction b ...more
Rachel
Jan 16, 2012 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
When the blurbs indicate that a book is both a western and a mystery, I get prepared for a rather mediocre story and characters, but I was happily surprised with the books in this series that I've read. The characters were interesting and well drawn out, and the plots were intriguing as well as amusing. Also, just because the stories take place in the west with ranches and deserts nearby, that doesn't mean it is a western, which generally contains a whole bunch of stereotypical cowboy, black hat ...more
Shannon Dykes
Emily
Nov 13, 2014 Emily rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3 1/2 stars: keep it up Fowler! Excellent and awesome story in the series.
Felicia
Mar 28, 2010 Felicia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, read-in-2010
"In an instant, your life is forever altered and you think the rest of your days will become an agonizing before-and-after until you realize from the measured, thoughtful perch of old age that life is simply a series of befores and afters, a long line of them and each one can either harden your heart to sunbaked leather or turn it pliable and welcoming, into an organ of infinite capabilities, a dwelling place for compassion, a vehicle for grace."

Excellent mystery! The setting makes me homesick f
Marilyn
May 08, 2014 Marilyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story!!
Sheryl
Jan 31, 2012 Sheryl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this is my favorite so far. It was a different mystery for her and let us in a little more on the characters. These books are like a television series. You don't need to read them in order, but if you do, you understand them as well as the characters a lot more so I have gone back and am trying to read them in order. In this book Benni inherits a home from a man she has never heard of before so the mystery is to discover why this man would leave everything to her. I enjoyed it.
K. East
Jan 04, 2013 K. East rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nicely done mystery. I can see why Fowler has won several Agatha Awards for Best Mystery. The premise was interesting, the mystery engaging and the "threats" to the main character fairly mild. I have too active an imagination to find much entertainment in the current genre of highly suspenseful, often very gruesome murder mysteries. Not as much about quilting as I might have liked, but he mystery was good enough to search out more in the series.
Brooke
Oct 09, 2011 Brooke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Catherine Woodman
As quilts go--Earline Fowler has picked some excellent one's. This one is technically challenging to make, and I am not n love with the geometry. This continues to go well. The writing is not at a high caliber but it is pleasant. I like the quilt references, and Benni Harper is good--sometimes I find her a little annoying but she is largely a good character
Rachel
Oct 03, 2013 Rachel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
This is my favorite in the series so far - probably I would go 3 1/2 stars if I could. Benni inherits a house and money from a man she has never met - so of course she has to figure out why. I think I liked it because I do like Benni and Gabe and the mystery was about Benni, not some murder of a throw-away character with other throw-away characters as suspects.
Arlene
It is spooky when Benni Harper is named the beneficiary to Jacob Chandler's estate. The only problem is that she has no clue who this man was. He also made the stipulation that she had to live in his house for two weeks in order to inherit. She follows the clues that the mystery man left to find out why he has left everything to her. A satisfying mystery.
Verity
Jun 07, 2011 Verity rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some cute ladies at the library recommended this to me. I'd never heard of Earlene Fowler, but her writing was fun. I honestly devoured it and will definitely try out more of her books. I'm giving it a three instead of a four because I can't recommend it to my younger daughter--there's a bit of language and some brief adult situations in it.

Fun mystery.
Mary
Nov 08, 2007 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery lovers
This is one of a series of mysteries that my sister and I have been reading. The others all revolve around a murder but this one revolves around a natural death with a mysterious inheritance.
I like this author because she develops many characters throughout the series - not just that main character Benni Harper.
Karol
This was a rare re-read for me. I first read this story 4 years ago and loved it then. Recently, I decided to read the entire series from beginning to end, and now reached this novel for the second time. I loved the story even more, reading it in context within the series.
Ellen
Feb 28, 2011 Ellen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you like mysteries and scavenger hunts, you'll love this book. This is the 6th book in the Benni Harper series and Fowler continues to impress me with her ability to make every book fresh and new. Don't start reading unless you have lots of time becuase it's hard to put down.
Kieraanne
Sep 06, 2011 Kieraanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: murder-mystery
I like this book in the series because it is a different type of mystery than the other books. I like how Benni gets to know a little more about her mother and family. I like how much she and Gabe miss each other while they're apart and I like getting to see a different town.
  • Framed in Lace (A Needlecraft Mystery, #2)
  • Grave Consequences (An Emma Fielding Mystery #2)
  • Anne Perry's Silent Nights: A Christmas Beginning / A Christmas Grace (Christmas Stories, #5-6)
  • The Sugar Camp Quilt (Elm Creek Quilts, #7)
  • Angel's Verdict (Beaufort & Company Mystery, #4)
  • A Drunkard's Path (Someday Quilts Mystery, #2)
  • Mistletoe Man (China Bayles, #9)
Earlene Fowler was raised in La Puente, California, by a Southern mother and a Western father. She lives in Southern California with her husband, Allen, a purple pickup truck, and many pairs of cowboy boots. She is currently working on the next Benni Harper mystery.

Series:
* Benni Harper Mysteries
* Love Mercy Johnson Mystery
More about Earlene Fowler...

Benni Harper (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Fool's Puzzle (Benni Harper, #1)
  • Irish Chain (Benni Harper, #2)
  • Kansas Troubles (Benni Harper, #3)
  • Goose in the Pond (Benni Harper, #4)
  • Dove in the Window (Benni Harper, #5)
  • Seven Sisters (Benni Harper, #7)
  • Arkansas Traveler (Benni Harper, #8)
  • Steps to the Altar (Benni Harper, #9)
  • Sunshine and Shadow (Benni Harper, #10)
  • Broken Dishes (Benni Harper, #11)