Learn Me Gooder

Learn Me Gooder

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  288 ratings  ·  53 reviews
In this sequel to Learn Me Good, Jack Woodson (no longer a green behind the ears teacher) returns to recount another school year’s worth of challenges, triumphs, and mishaps with a brand new cast of wild and crazy students.
Six years have passed, and this time around, Jack gets a talking monkey sidekick, a beautiful love interest, and a top-secret undercover CIA assignment...more
Published August 20th 2011 (first published August 17th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Learn Me Gooder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Learn Me Gooder

Al
For those who read "Learn Me Good," you know exactly what to expect from "Learn Me Gooder." If you liked the first book, you’ll like this sequel. If not, the sequel isn’t for you, either. Everyone else, read on.

I’ve been wondering lately if I’m losing my sense of humor, at least where books are concerned. I find plenty to laugh at in books from non-humor genres. Snappy, smart-ass dialogue and funny situations that are part of a bigger story still unleash the chuckles. But most of the books I’ve...more
Arni Vidar Bjorgvinsson
I was quite skeptical at first about a sequel, fearing that it wouldn't match up to the first one, but I must say this book is just as endearing and funny as the first one.

I read most of it on trains and airplanes on my recent trip, and I am sure that many people thought I was quite insane, sitting in a corner somewhere with a book and laughing like a maniac.

I loved this book. Great job Mr. Pearson :)
Bridget
What a fun read! Clever laugh out loud moments. Tales from the 3rd grade class room told from a fantastic teacher who is on the front line. Told over the course of a school year through an email exchange with a former co-worker who isn't a teacher. Loved the format & it's a great read for anyone especially teachers & parents.
Candy
Memoirs are my favorite genre. I love learning about people's lives, hearing their stories, digging into themselves with them. I find the whole genre fascinating. I first heard about this author when I stumbled on a post on his blog and bought his book, Learn Me Good, after reading a funny and heart-filled blog post. I got distracted and it took almost a year before I finally read it. I won't rehash it, but I absolutely loved it. Heck, I even bought a paperback copy for the teachers at my kid's...more
Nicole
Loved this book! Just like the first one, it's full of funny and cute stories from the life of a 3rd grade math teacher. What could be better than that? :)
Leigh
I was jealous of Jill! ;) Jack is such a great guy. I love these books... hilarious!
Robert
Over the years I have joked with my students that I was going to write a book called What I Learned in Fourth Grade. I don't have to now as this book is that one. Pearson is a mathematics teacher. Only a teacher could find the humor that makes other teachers chortle aloud as I did numerous times while reading this.

This is by no means a literary tour-de-force, but elementary school teachers will undoubtedly connect with this tale. We have all taught Marcus's, Tiny Annas, etc. Pearson's witty e-ma...more
Kevin Hodgson
A few years ago, I picked up John Pearson's book, Learn Me Good, during a rather difficult year of teaching. His fictional book about a teacher (Jack Woodson) writing to a friend about all the craziness of teaching elementary school was a helpful reminder that some years are like that, and there is a way through it: finding your sense of humor.
I then found John's blog and even guest-wrote a post once. It was a nice connection.
Now, he is back with Learn Me Gooder, and I am making my way through t...more
Stacy
Ok, so I'm biased, because I'm close friends with the author. But I can say with confidence that he is a fantastic teacher and writer. This is his sequel to Learn Me Good which is told in the format of emails to a former co-worker (he changed from the corporate technical industry to being an elementary school math teacher). The names and details have been changed slightly to protect the real people, but these stories come from real life! Plus, this book has a romantic plot thread running through...more
Joel
Jack Woodsen, a techie turned third grade math teacher, documents an entire school year through e-mail messages with his co-worker Fred. The class is apparently so developmentally challenged by the subject that each day offers new adventure in the society of public education. Jack attempts to liven up his lessons with real life situational word problems, often with interesting results coming from his students. There is a strong sense of humor throughout; some of this as one would suspect come st...more
Todd Cannon
Apr 29, 2012 Todd Cannon rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone but especially teachers
I liked this book even more than "Learn Me Good". I am sure that Mr. Woodson cares about his students in both books but it is even more apparent in this second one. I am not a teacher but I know many teachers and they have all told me similar stories. As with Pearson's first book some of these incidents were so funny that I laughed out loud while reading them. I tried to read some outloud to my wife (a second grade teacher) and laughed so hard a couple of times I could not get the words out. I r...more
Mary
What a riot! I loved this book for so many reasons. I enjoy the references to movies et al ESPECIALLY to THE GOONIES (my all time favorite). In addition, as a special ed. teaching assistant for many years, I could identify (and could have written) some of the anecdotes. The book may have been fiction, but to me it was reality in its truest form.

Following the turn of the last page (borrowed, again from my daughter), I promptly added the book to my Kindle so I could return to Jack's classroom at w...more
Bonnie
I read the first book Learn Me Good several months ago & just about died laughing. But I certainly didn't expect Learn Me Gooder to be even better. It was. I usually read at night after my kids are in bed. More than once my 11 yr old woke up to the sound of me laughing so hard I was crying. A highly recommended read for anyone who has kids or who teaches kids!
Bill Semk
Mr. Teacher's second book is a continuance of the stories (emails) that you didn't want to end in Learn Me Good. It's like spending more time with a good friend who tells funny, interesting tales about the kids he teaches, but includes some hints at his personal life too. Mr. Woodson is undoubtedly Mr. Pearson, and he's a very likeable guy.
Donna
Funny follow-up to Learn Me Good. After reading the first book I started following his blog and I actually enjoy it more than the books. The real everyday humor of the classroom is funnier than the polished humor of his books.
Michelle
Just as good as the first one. I couldn't put this book down. I laughed, I cringed, I feared for my own daughter who will be starting school next fall. I know that not all of it is true (obviously), but I can see kids that I know in a lot of these characters. Funny!
Vicki
Mar 21, 2012 Vicki added it
This was the funniest book I have read in a very long time. I got so into it that I was reading it at work (trying to hide my kindle) but I probably gave myself away by rolling on the floor laughing!!!
Scott
Oct 11, 2011 Scott rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: ibook, own
I enjoyed this second helping as much, if not more than the original. A GoodRead for teachers, parents, grandparents, or anyone with exposure to the contemporary third-grader. It will make you laugh.
Kasia
I started reading this as soon as I finished Learn Me Good a couple of days ago. Some parts felt more forced than the first book, but it did have plenty of laugh out loud moments by the end.
Eric
Entertaining. I have a continuing appreciation of the patience that elementary school teachers must exhibit. And not just patience with the kids - parents too!
Eileen
Apr 20, 2012 Eileen rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who has ever taught, is teaching or plans to teach.
Recommended to Eileen by: John Williams
An outstanding humorous book. Teachers of any grade level will appreciate the author's insight of the life of a teacher.
Hanna Bair
Not quite as funny as the first one, but still funny enough to make tear come out of my eyes occasionally. Loved it!
Maryellen
This was a great read! If you read the first book Learn me good, then you will enjoy this one!
Kirei
Funny sequel about teaching underprivileged kids. The part about Pluto cracked me up.
Devra Pickett
More of the same from Learn Me Good. Good teacher read.
Kathryn
Another enjoyable book by John Pearson based loosely on his teaching of the third grade at an inner city Dallas grade school. His fictionalized account of one year in one of his third grade classes is told through the teacher, Jack Woodson's e-mails with his former engineering co-worker. Very entertaining!
Kristine
LOVE these books! Mr. Pearson may teach elementary, but I can assure you that it translates well to middle school! I often read one or both of these books at the beginning of the school year to help me remember to see the humor in the often insanity. Thank you, Mr. Pearson!
Jennifer Zartman
This book follows Learn Me Good, adding a touch of romance to the picture. I really enjoy the authors insight into human nature, his love for children, and the wisdom he gains from working with families. Both books are fun reads.
Angie Fox
Loved John Pearson's first book... "Learn Me Good" Laugh out loud book about his experiences as a teacher. "Learn Me Gooder" did not let me down! A fun light read for everyone... but teachers would especially love it!
Sherri
Yet another humorous book about teaching 3rd graders. Cleverly written and easy to read. Usually don't enjoy sequels but this one was good.
  • The Last Bookstore In America
  • RUNNING
  • Daughters
  • Waiting For Spring
  • The Myths, Legends, and Lore of Ireland
  • That Bear Ate My Pants!
  • An Angel With Fur
  • I Used to Know That: Stuff You Forgot from School
  • Momnesia
  • For Fukui's Sake: Two Years In Rural Japan
  • The Mancode: Exposed
  • Infinitely More
  • The Third Floor
John Pearson was born just outside of Washington, DC, but moved to Texas as quickly as he could. Growing up with a passion for science, math, and calculator watches, he obtained engineering degrees and basketball (watching) accolades from Duke University and Texas A&M. His first job out of college was designing small solid-state heat pumps, where his cubicle simply was not big enough to contai...more
More about John Pearson...
Learn Me Good I Coulda Caught That Pass!

“she doesn’t want to hear any complaining unless it involves one of the 3 B’s – Barfing, Bleeding, or Broken.” 0 likes
“if teachers didn’t receive any base salary at all, but they were given $25 every time one of their students tattled on someone, they could all retire to the Bahamas by the end of the second year.” 0 likes