Start by marking “Black Ship (Daisy Dalrymple, #17)” as Want to Read:
Black Ship (Daisy Dalrymple, #17)

Black Ship (Daisy Dalrymple #17)

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  737 ratings  ·  68 reviews
It is 1925 and the Honorable Daisy Dalrymple, her husband Alec Fletcher and their recent twins move to a new, large house on the outskirts of London. Set in a small circle of houses with a communal garden, it seems like the idyllic setting – that is, until a murder victim turns up under the bushes of the communal garden.

Now rumours of bootleggers, American gangsters and an
Published June 22nd 2011 by Robinson (first published September 2nd 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Black Ship, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black Ship

Daisy Fletcher and her husband Alec have a windfall and move into a spacious new house, along with their new twins and a bevy of servants. Daisy likes their next door neighbors the Jessups, wealthy wine merchants, but loathes the scandalmongering Bennetts. Meanwhile, in a series of interludes, an unnamed character experiences the excitement of rumrunning to the US...which just happens to be what hapless federal agent Lambert, formerly of the FBI and assigned to protect Daisy when she was in NYC, ...more
I picked this series up in the middle for a project on Cozy Mysteries. The hallmark of cozy mysteries usually follow some sort of amateur detective and tend to shy away from really gruesome crimes. Think of Ms. Marple in Agatha Christie's novels or any number of extra-lawful observers who just happen to help the police: Nero Wolfe and Archie, Peter Wimsey, and Hercule Poirot. These literary figures are generally just normal people who have a knack for solving puzzles, sometimes they are very una ...more
I always enjoy a Daisy Dalrymple mystery. The writing style and characters are charming. These books really fit the bill when I want a light, stress-free, but well-crafted read. I would say that Black Ship is true to form in all but one respect--the end felt rather weak to me.
Alec has been left a house and a legacy so the Fletchers are moving. The lawyer handling the bequest seems to not want the Fletchers to move in to the house which happens to be next door to his daughter and her in laws. Prior to actually moving in the bumbling FBI agent Lambert from Daisy's New York adventure appears on the doorstep having been mugged upon arriving for his new job as a Prohibition officer investigating the gangs in roads with British suppliers. The neighbors happen to be in the ...more
Nancy Reynolds
Book Number 17 - and I am fast approaching the last of the written books. Only a few more to go. But 17 is just as pleasing to this reader as book 1. Daisy and Alec move to a new home - inherited by Alec by an uncle he never knew. What a lovely inheritance. Unfortunately, as usual, there is a dead body found in the vicinity of Daisy - only this time Nana, the dog, is actually the one to discover the body. What a welcome to the new neighborhood because, of course, Alec is assigned the case. It's ...more
This wasn't so much a bad book as one with a topic that didn't interest me that much. I just never cared very much about prohibition-era-themed stories and Black Ship (even though it's set in England) deals with the prohibition so I was just sitting there going 'meh'. The case itself was also quite easy to see through. However the characters were lovely as always and I hope we'll see more of the Jessups in the following books.
I could have done without the random and very forced bringing up of t
BOTTOM LINE: #17 Daisy Dalrymple/Alec Fletcher, September 1925, London; amateur sleuth/cosy police procedural, historical. Having inherited a rather nice suburban house with garden square (but it’s round...) - albeit in somewhat peculiar circumstances - Alec and Daisy finally get enough room to spread out their growing family. Some of the neighbors are downright disagreeable, and several appear to be hiding lots of secrets, catnip to the curious Daisy, and when a body appears on the Green in fro ...more
Janet McCord
I always enjoy spending time with Daisy Dalrymple and her family and this one was an especially fun and enjoyable one. Daisy has the responsibility of moving the family into a new home her husband has inherited from a wealthy great-uncle outside of London. What seems to be a favorable event in the family's life turns out to be something else as, in the process of getting to know her new neighbors, a dead body appears in the communal gardens and one of the neighbors' families is implicated. As Da ...more
Another great Daisy Dalrymple mystery! Daisy, Alec and the kids move into their first very own home. But wouldn't you know it, a dead body shows up in the neighborhood. This storytakes place in the Twenties, so Carola Dunn slips American prohibition into this great story.The British view of Prohibition is quite interesting. I truly love the Daisy Dalrymple mysteries. They keep getting better and better.Thank you Ms. Dunn!
Laura Edwards
This one started out slowly which is the reason it is four stars instead of five. The Sea Interludes were boring, if necessary to set up background for the crime. But once all action took place in England, the pace picked up. Daisy is in rare form in this book and she had me laughing throughout. Much better than the last one!
Nancy Wilson
Reading this immediately following the much more serious Jacqueline Winspear is a bit like a breath of fresh air--and that is not to take anything away from either authors or heroines. Daisy is a delight. No one is ever killed who isn't a bad guy, and the good guys who occasionally turn out to be murderers quite often find themselves getting away with it in some twist of fate. Just plain complicated fun.
I like this series for the charm and setting more than the deep mysteries or intrigue. I wish she would have given her main detective (Daisy's husband) more to do in this book, but there will always be another in the series, and therefore another chance.
I really enjoyed most of this book. All except for the last few pages when the author realized she needed a murderer to go with the murder. There is misdirection, and then there is this ending.

Actual rating: 3.5 stars, but I round up.
Kaitlyn Dunnett
Better than I remembered, although I did actually figure out who dunnit (very rare event for me!). I enjoyed the return of a couple of characters from earlier books in the series, including an American.
Better than the abysmally boring one about the Tower of London, though this one reminds me quite a bit of a cozy version of an episode of Boardwalk Empire.
I liked some of the characters enough to try another in this series, in case this installment was a fluke. The police procedural sections really dragged and the ending was entirely disappointing.
Though not my favourite book in the Daisy Dalrymple series, it was still very readable and helped develop the characters further by creating a defunct relative who wills Alec a large house - just when wanted. For once, Daisy does not find the body, but inevitably sets about meddling in her own inimitable way whilst simultaneously throwing a protective wing over several of the suspects. Disbelief does need to be suspended when reading these (Daisy is fast becoming the Typhoid Mary of her set), ho ...more
Alan Leach

Carola Dunn,s Daisy Dalrymple Series of crime books based in the 1920's make for a nice relaxing read you could let your Granny read
This is more like it. CD is back on form with this - everything is sitting pretty as I learn more as I read more. Back on course.
Jennifer Sheffield
Enjoyable read - period detail was great as always and I liked how initially there were two stories intersecting. The identity of the murderer was fairly obvious because of this, however. The later books in the series don't quite match up to the interest of the earlier ones, but I think this is largely due to the characters themselves settling down into a domestic lifestyle.
Carol Randall
An enjoyable light read but a weak ending.
It is 1925 and Daisy's husband inherits a house from his great uncle. They discover that their new neighbors are wine merchants. One rainy morning the maid finds a body hidden in the bushes. Who is the stranger? How are the neighbors involved? Why did the son take the train to the north? How are they involved with the illegal exportation of wine to America when prohibition is in effect? I love this period piece. It is interesting to see how the "upper crust" lived back in.
I picked this book up on a whim--because the cover is cute--and because I wanted to expand my knowlege of detective fiction, and was pleased with what I read. The characters are likable and believable; the setting is interesting and British (for the Anglophile in me); the plot is historically accurate (as far as I am aware) and had enough twists and turns to keep me interested. This is my first Daisy Dalrymple mystery and I think I will likely read more.
On rereading, I found the mystery in this one really, really slight. The Fletchers are moving into a new house, an American acquaintance comes to stay, and Daisy finds another body. Actually, the dog finds the body this time. Right in their new neighborhood. And the next door neighbors are the prime suspects.

The solution is painfully obvious, but the American is not quite such a cliche this time around. Still, not really worth the reread.
Charming Daisy Fletcher and her police inspector husband move into a house he's inherited near Hampstead Heath. Daisy is especially taken with her new neighbors, but senses that they have a problem with a mysterious, rude American who keeps calling on them. Meanwhile, the reader follows the adventures of the youngest son of their family, who's helping smuggling liquor into Prohibition-era America.
This is the first in the series that I actually read on paper - the rest were audiobooks. Carola Dunn is a clever writer, and I found this story adventuresome and fun, but it's still total historical chick lit! I wouldn't recommend actually paying for any of these books, but if your library has them, they're definitely worth checking out for an easy and fun woman's detective story.
Who knew that this book was the 17th in a series. It's the first of the series that I've read and I'm not sure that I'm going to check out any of the others. The book takes place in 1925 in London and provides some interesting insight into the changing social mores of post World War I England. The plot was thin, but on the plus side, it only took 2 hours to read.
Diane Heath
This installment of the Daisy Dalrymple mysteries takes place after Daisy has twins. Alec has inherited a home from a great-uncle and the Fletchers get to move to a much needed larger home. The dog finds a body in the garden and the new neighbors have to be investigated. It all ties in with the prohibition in America (this particular book taking place in 1925)
Got off to a slow start, but the real story makes up for it. Not my favorite in the series though. Organized crime comes from America during prohibition smuggling.
Karen Cox
The least interesting book in the series. The best parts of the plot describe Daisy's reaction to the new neighborhood. The mystery itself, however, is an afterthought. The main characters are still amusing, even if Daisy's attitudes are more early-21st- century than mid20th. The series is engaging, however, and still worth following.
  • Murder in the Dark (Phryne Fisher, #16)
  • The Affair of the 39 Cufflinks (Burford Family Mysteries, #3)
  • The Tale of Cuckoo Brow Wood (The Cottage Tales of Beatrix Potter, #3)
  • A Royal Pain (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #2)
  • Sick of Shadows (An Edwardian Murder Mystery #3)
  • Death at Daisy's Folly (Kathryn Ardleigh, #3)
  • Sweet Poison (Lord Edward Corinth and Verity Browne, #1)
  • Murder at the Feast of Rejoicing (Lord Meren, #3)
  • A Woman of Consequence (A Dido Kent Mystery, #3)
  • The Necklace Affair (Captain Lacey, #4.5)
  • Consequences of Sin
Carola Dunn is the author of more than 30 Regency romances, as well as 16 mysteries (the Daisy Dalrymple mystery series is set in England in the 1920s). Ms. Dunn was born and grew up in England, where she got a B.A. in Russian and French from Manchester University. She travelled as far as Fiji before returning to settle in California. After 30 years in the US, she says she still sounds as if she a ...more
More about Carola Dunn...

Daisy Dalrymple (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Death at Wentwater Court (Daisy Dalrymple, #1)
  • The Winter Garden Mystery (Daisy Dalrymple, #2)
  • Requiem for a Mezzo (Daisy Dalrymple, #3)
  • Murder on the Flying Scotsman (Daisy Dalrymple, #4)
  • Damsel in Distress (Daisy Dalrymple, #5)
  • Dead in the Water (Daisy Dalrymple, #6)
  • Styx and Stones (Daisy Dalrymple, #7)
  • Rattle His Bones (Daisy Dalrymple, #8)
  • To Davy Jones Below (Daisy Dalrymple, #9)
  • The Case of the Murdered Muckraker (Daisy Dalrymple, #10)
Death at Wentwater Court (Daisy Dalrymple, #1) The Winter Garden Mystery (Daisy Dalrymple, #2) Requiem for a Mezzo (Daisy Dalrymple, #3) Murder on the Flying Scotsman (Daisy Dalrymple, #4) Damsel in Distress (Daisy Dalrymple, #5)