Start by marking “Thorn in My Side” as Want to Read:
Thorn in My Side

Thorn in My Side

3.53  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,879 Ratings  ·  140 Reviews
It could have been just any night, and they could have just been any two brothers -- but it wasn't, and they weren't. The scene is an Atlanta bar. The music is loud and the dance floor is packed. The good-looking brother picks up a girl. But when dark deeds ensue out in the parking lot, what happens next can only be described in two words: vintage Slaughter.
Published August 25th 2011 by Thomas & Mercer

To ask other readers questions about Thorn in My Side, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thorn in My Side

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling
Home Bookshelf
299th out of 817 books — 72 voters
The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner by Stephenie MeyerMidnight Sun by Stephenie MeyerThe Twilight Saga by Stephenie MeyerAdrian's Lost Chapter by Richelle MeadShelby’s First Glimpse by Lauren Kate
Extras
90th out of 109 books — 88 voters

More lists with this book...

Karin Slaughter
Mar 26, 2014 Karin Slaughter rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I loved writing this story. It gave me a chance to step outside of myself and have a little fun, which as Martin Misunderstood will tell you is not something that all my readers appreciate. I should also add that none of the proceeds from this story went to me. It was used solely to give grants to libraries in the US and the Reading Agency in the UK, so if you hate this story, then you basically hate libraries.

That being said, I am very glad to see that so many people got the joke in this one. (
Wanda Hartzenberg
Jul 15, 2013 Wanda Hartzenberg rated it it was ok
Shelves: horror
Karin Slaughter Thorn in my Side

Eek, ok, so I am a Karin Slaughter fan, that said this is not my favorite book by the author.

It may not be my favorite but it is one I will remember.
A short story with 1 and a half protagonists or two protagonists or two halves depending on your pov it was a story of extremes. Black vs White, Good vs Evil. Brother against brother and brothers standing together.

The book is a fast read and the ending is as shocking as is the main points of scene development. The wo
Kate BibliophileBookClub
Interesting subject matter! Not what I was expecting at all. I've not read a Slaughter book for years, and while this short story wasn't great, I'd still go and read more from this author!
Jules (Never enough time to read)
What did I just read?!?!

Well that was weird and kind of disturbing.
Fiona (Titch) Hunt
Another short Kindle and OMG Karin Slaughter at her best. Even in a short story she has packed a punch in a story that will make you want more. But very confusing with the story of Conjoined twins who want to be normal. But I think it's funny in places as if you're reading about 2 different twins who are feeling different stuff.

Not sure what I think really, but just love the way Karin Slaughter writes her Thrillers.
Conrad Toft
May 31, 2015 Conrad Toft rated it it was ok
Weird. I didn't really enjoy the story but I'd be willing to give the author another go.
Andrew
Nov 21, 2011 Andrew rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle
Review Taken From The Pewter Wolf

This short story tells the story of conjoined twins Kirk and Wayne. One night, Kirk picks up a random girl in a bar, while Wayne has to pretend he's not there. Expect dark deeds happen in the car park that night...

Now, in theory, this should be an interesting story. The idea of what would happen if a brother did a terrible thing while his conjoined twin tried to stop him and whether the law would convict one brother for the sin of another would have made interes
Lakis Fourouklas
Oct 26, 2011 Lakis Fourouklas rated it liked it
In whichever way one looks at this, it is indeed a unique or, rather, somewhat strange story.
The protagonists in Thorn in My Side are the conjoined twins Kirk and Wayne. They share between them the most important body parts, however the goddess of luck has decided to bless the one and fail the other. So Kirk is charming, tough and cunning, while Wayne is graceless, shy and weak. Having to share the same body makes them both unhappy, but just the one, the former, can openly express his feelings,
Tina Hayes
Aug 29, 2012 Tina Hayes rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
Karin Slaughter's "Thorn in my Side" is about conjoined twins, one good, one not so much. The author did an excellent job of tuning into things that two people sharing one body might be thinking, like resentment issues, bodily functions, what it would be like to be free of the other. The problem I had with this story is that Wayne and Kirk (Or at least one of them) are held accountable for an awful crime, but though some of their history and thoughts are shown, things could have been shown in mo ...more
Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥
This has to be the weirdest story I've ever read. Insane. Karin Slaughter is my favorite Romance/Suspense author...I love her Grant County & Will Trent series. I picked Thorn in My Side up simply because it was written by her. I guess I expected something similar to her other books . . . but I don't have words for this story. There is no way to talk about it without giving away the big secret that is at the core of the entire story so I won't even try. It's weird. It's insane. It's crazy. I ...more
The Cats Mother
Short stand-alone ebook, very different to her usual series, but just as dark, although with a black-comedy edge. Wayne and Kirk are twins, one is shy and thoughtful, the other confident and brash; they go out to a club and Kirk picks up a prostitute, then loses him temper... I liked it but was not expecting the suddenness of the ending - that's the problem with ebooks - you think you're half way through then realise it's over and the rest is a preview of some other book, always annoying. It's a ...more
John
Dec 10, 2015 John rated it did not like it
So this is twice now in a single month that I've stumbled across a story in which conjoined twins are forced to go to trial--with one half of the "twinship" being innocent and the other guilty. I don't know whether Karin Slaughter was purposefully riffing on Mark Twain's THOSE INCREDIBLE TWINS, but it certainly seems that way. And, rest assured, if Mark Twain can't make that plot device work, then Karin Slaughter doesn't stand a chance. THORN IN MY SIDE winds up being an utter train wreck, horri ...more
Bigd_041555
Mar 05, 2013 Bigd_041555 rated it did not like it
Okay, so Karin Slaughter is entitled to have an off day here and there.

I didn't know where this novella was going, but it should have gone in the trash bin. Way too weird for me, but maybe Ms. Slaughter had to get this out of her system!

Very strange story - thought it was going somewhere at first. Would I recommend it to anyone? Meh, only if there is absolutely nothing else to read!

Thank goodness I only paid $0.99 for it and even that hurts now.
Sharrie
Sep 20, 2011 Sharrie rated it did not like it
I've read several Karin Slaughter books and like her writing style and the Grant County series. This was a complete disappointment. Short stories are not generally up my alley so that should have been the first clue but this had no redeeming features. I don't think I'm giving anything away when I say that the ending was probably supposed to be quite clever but was really only crude.
Vicki Wilson
Mar 24, 2014 Vicki Wilson rated it it was amazing
The story about two conjoined twins with two different personalities, is morbidly actually quite funny. Especially when one has committed a crime, and the other is an 'innocent bystander'. Granted, this book is probably not for everyone, and borders on being a horror. I however, expect nothing less from Karin Slaughter.
Jan C
Oct 18, 2011 Jan C rated it it was ok
This wasn't really my cup of tea.

What happens with conjoined twins when one lives a wilder life than the other?

Actually I kind of saw the end coming.

(view spoiler)
Sam Arnold
Jun 20, 2013 Sam Arnold rated it really liked it
This is one of the most unusual short stories I have ever read but also one of the best.

This goes into the stages of being a horror as it is deeply disturbing in parts.

I loved this another excellent offering from Karin Slaughter.
Darleen Madison
Jan 15, 2015 Darleen Madison rated it it was amazing

This was a great read. I actually listened to this with narration and the gentleman who read the story made it all that much more enjoyable for me. I found myself actually laughing out loud at the banter between the brothers.

This story is about conjoined twins who battle more with each other than with life. They are completely different men with opposite personalities. They each have control over different parts of the body so combine that with constant bickering and you get a story full of con
Paris        (kerbytejas)
Dec 31, 2015 Paris (kerbytejas) rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2015
creepy little short story
Russ Skinner
Aug 11, 2014 Russ Skinner rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle, novellas
Very clever last paragraph and this book contains the strangest line I've read in a while:
“How long’ve y’all been…” “Conjoined twins?” My chest rose and fell along with Kirk’s this time as we both filled each of our lungs with air. Of all the questions we got asked, this was by far the most ludicrous.

I want to say that this book is a stand-alone book, but that would be an egregious pun (given the issues with the conjoined status of the lead characters).

Even for a Kindle Single, quite the short
Michelle R.
(Review originally published at Red Adept Reviews)

Overall: 4 stars

Plot/Storyline: 4 stars

This is a very quirky and dark story. It's also nearly impossible to review without mentioning a certain detail, and yet I'll try, because it's only hinted at in the two descriptions on the page. I think people will probably figure it out from there alone, but I won't be the one to "say" it.

While the story is very darkly funny - the last line might as well be called a punch line - it's also just plain dark
Kipp Poe
Sep 05, 2011 Kipp Poe rated it it was amazing
My first taste of Karin Slaughter’s work came when I read her novel Fallen in May, I was thrilled when I heard about her new Kindle Single coming out and Pre-Ordered it when it was announced.

This Kindle Single has 880 location that is 33 pages. The story is a twisted and disturbing tale of to male thoraco-omphalopagus twins fused from the upper chest to the lower chest.

Each one has a conflicting personality from the brother who he is harnessed to. Kirk is the aggressive and violent, and Wayne th
Danielle Choffrey
Nov 15, 2013 Danielle Choffrey rated it liked it
I got this book when I first got my kindle. I love Karin Slaughter and I have to say this book was twisted! But in a sad sick way it was great. The plot covers conjoined men and how they struggle to be independent of each other. After finishing this book the read is left with a moment of wow and then thinking about what they just read. It makes you think about how it would be to constantly joined with someone and struggle with someone being bad and someone being good. Is it just one who can be e ...more
Stuart Slingsby
Jul 28, 2015 Stuart Slingsby rated it really liked it
I have never read anything by this writer so when I saw this in the Unlimited sub I had to read it.

The Kindle Single is about 2 conjoined twins named Kirk and Wayne - Kirk is hot headed and always getting into trouble while Wayne is the opposite - a polite brother with manners.

They are both written very different and the story is about the annoyance of being joined. The story is quite good and different from anything I have read.
Book-Lover Book Blog
Mar 26, 2016 Book-Lover Book Blog rated it it was amazing
Honestly, I think Karin Slaughter can write just about anything and it would amazing. This short story proves that point.

Yes, it was short. Yes, it was different to her usual crime novels but this right here is informative with a hint of amusement. It's an eye opener that people should read to understand conjoined twins. The different types and how they work....even if they don't get on.

Oh I loved this story :D
Matthew Williamson
Sep 20, 2015 Matthew Williamson rated it really liked it
I don't think I've ever seen the blurb of a book surmise as well as with this one "vintage Slaughter".

Even in just 3 chapters, Karin manages to paint a sleazy environment for her characters to thrive. Even as an avid lover of her work, this took me aback in places. And although it feels like there could have been more to their story, it sits with you for a while, and so manages to feel truly satisfying.
Nancy Silk
Apr 05, 2013 Nancy Silk rated it it was amazing
"Twice The Fun!"

I could not put this short story down! It reminded me of the Saturday night macabre radio show decades ago. Kirk Edgerton loves to dance and has performed in nightclubs throughout Atlanta. Kirk, 38 years old, has a twin brother, Wayne, who just doesn't muster up the good vibes that Kirk gets. People love to see Kirk dance and entertain. Kirk always gets lured by ladies of the night who frequent these nightclubs where he performs. Kirk always gets a good bargain. Kirk always gets
Jason Kirk
Oct 20, 2013 Jason Kirk rated it did not like it
Amazon.com Review: Wayne and Kirk are twins, real close-like. Yet in some ways, they couldn't be more different. One is a devout Christian, the other godless. One is a virgin, the other a notable debaucher. But despite being intimately related opposites--think "night and day," "right and left," "fore and aft"--you can say this for the twins: they stick together, be it through thick and thin, work and play, or rape and murder. Regarding the latter, author Karin Slaughter's inseparable pair engage ...more
Katie
Jan 28, 2014 Katie rated it really liked it
I only wish that I hadn't known (view spoiler) prior to reading this. It would have made the reveal a lot more spectacular. That being said, I loved this as much as anyone can love something so creepy and unsettling. It reminds me of one of my other favorite books, Geek Love, but in a gorier way.
Robert Banfield
Aug 28, 2015 Robert Banfield rated it did not like it
This is a short story in three chapers about the psychological problems confronting conjoined twins. It has some merit as a short psychological study but the seaminess of the storyline left me cold: its only saving grace is its brevity which enabled me to read it comfortably in one sitting.
  • Triple Threat
  • Floaters (A Jack Daniels/Alex Chapa Mystery, #1)
  • Other Than Murder (Frank Quinn #3.5)
  • Ten Rules for a Call Girl (Anna Curtis, #1.5)
  • Summer and Smoke and Murder
  • The Cleverness of Ladies
  • Telling Tales
  • Cuffing Kate (12 Shades of Surrender Series)
  • Oh, Whistle, and I'll Come to You, My Lad
  • Manna From Heaven
  • Dirty Secrets (Romantic Suspense, #15.5)
  • Death Will Have Your Eyes
  • Claws
  • Happy Money (Increase the Flow of Money with a Simple 2-Step Formula)
  • Alaeddin And The Enchanted Lamp
  • The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: The Secondary Phase (Hitchhiker's Guide: Radio Play, #2)
  • Aces Wild (Angels Avengers #1)
  • A Nail Through the Heart (Poke Rafferty Mystery, #1)
Karin Slaughter is the New York Times and #1 internationally bestselling author of fifteen thrillers, including UNSEEN, CRIMINAL, FALLEN, BROKEN, UNDONE, FRACTURED, BEYOND REACH, TRIPTYCH, FAITHLESS, COP TOWN, and the e-original short stories “Snatched” and “Busted.”

Slaughter was born in a small southern Georgia community, and now resides in Atlanta. She is widely credited with first coining the
More about Karin Slaughter...

“I told her, “I’m Wayne, and this is—” 0 likes