Start by marking “Sultry with a Twist (Sultry Springs, #1)” as Want to Read:
Sultry with a Twist (Sultry Springs, #1)

Sultry with a Twist (Sultry Springs #1)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  1,047 ratings  ·  227 reviews
"Hilarious, heartwarming, sexy and real-you'll fall in love, guaranteed!"-Lori Foster, New York Times bestselling author

Welcome to Sultry Springs, Texas: where first loves find second chances...

Nine years after June Augustine hightailed it out of Sultry Springs with her heart in pieces, one thing stands between her and her dream of opening an upscale martini bar: a bogus w...more
Mass Market Paperback, 314 pages
Published October 1st 2012 by Sourcebooks Casablanca

To ask other readers questions about Sultry with a Twist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sultry with a Twist

Sultry with a Twist by Macy BeckettCall of the Sea by Rebecca HartIncarnate by Jodi MeadowsPraise of Motherhood by Phil JourdanGirl Three by Tracy March
Most Anticipated Debut Novels Of 2012
1st out of 119 books — 318 voters
Easy by Tammara WebberAbout That Night by Julie JamesOn Dublin Street by Samantha YoungSlammed by Colleen HooverBared to You by Sylvia Day
2012 Contemporary Romance Novels
13th out of 224 books — 1,095 voters

More lists with this book...

Lori Foster
I got an advance read of this book. It was incredible! Macy Beckett is sure to be a star. LOVED the dialogue. I laughed out loud many times, knowing guys who would say *exactly that.* The characters are all amazing - can't wait for the book about Trey.
Slight spoiler - the scene with Lucas (hero) and Trey (best friend) in the hospital is priceless. That scene and two others are so awesome, I'm dying to talk about it with others! LOL
The entire book was a very fun ride. I think I have a new auto-...more
Jill

Debut

For June Augustine opening her own martini bar in Austin is a dream come true. But when she's served a warrant from an incident nine years ago all her plans are put on hold. Returning to her hometown of Sultry Springs for the first time in nine years, June is ordered by the judge to complete one month's community service with a local church or Helping Hands.

Luke Gallagher was June's best friend when growing up. They both lived with her grandmother after June was orphaned at seven a...more
♡Karlyn P♡
3.5 - 4 stars. A fun contemporary romance set in a small southern town in Texas. Great characters, cheeky humor, sassy dialogue, and likable characters. A great read for fans of unrequited love stories. There was too much hot/cold back and forth between H/h which felt forced in places, but otherwise a great read.
becky (rtgirl)
I was dying to get my hands on this book just from the summary on Goodreads! I was lucky enough to get an ARC from netgalley and as soon as i clicked the button on my Kindle, I couldn't put the dang thing down!

June is an absolutely adorable character who is so full of determination and back bone, I want to be her real life friend! And Luke...oh, my! That man makes my toes curl! How did it take him so long to see that what he had to offer June was simply himself? Having a history with someone can...more
Pat

Our heroine in this delightful story is June Augustine. Her full name is Mae-June July Augustine; is it any wonder she prefers to be called June? She is a young woman, about to start on her dream career. She has given up everything she owns to start a high class martini bar, in Austin Texas with her friend and fellow backer Esteban. The only thing left is to arrange for her liquor license, and Luquos will be on its way. But, she finds out there is a bench warrant on record for her from nine year...more
Kim
I got this book in the giveaway. It's an ARC book. But I have to say, I had a lot of trouble putting this book down. It is good. About a girl who got her heart broke by her best friend. Left town for 9 years and was brought back by a ticket. She meets the guy again, and it's awkward. But she reunites with the Gram she left behind and builds bridges all the while trying not to fall for the guy again. I'm not going to say to much because you need to read this for yourself. I really enjoyed this bo...more
Lady Heather
I LOVED this story!

The writing, characters, and story were AMAZING!

... and the ending *sigh*
Just when I thought I had the whole story figured out...BAM!
Kudos Ms. Beckett for the little twist!

Look forward to reading more from this author!

** Just a side note: It seems that my favorite ALL-TIME male literary leads are named Lucas (Luke), and Lucas in the story certainly meets the my criteria *grin*! LOVE HIM!! **
Guilty Pleasures
Amanda's review posted on Guilty Pleasures

5 Stars

Sultry with a Twist by Macy Beckett is the debut romance novel and for me it is definitely a hit. She blends the right amount of turmoil, anguish, heartache, drama and romance that pulled on my emotions in all different directions. Luke and June were meant to be together and it took a bogus bench warrant to get her to return to her hometown of Sultry, Texas. June vowed that she would never return, but in order to go forward with the opening of her...more
Jessica Lemmon
Ho-o-ly...sugar!

Some books explore family themes and small-town life, others offer characters so real you worry about them whenever you're not devouring the pages. And then there are books that give you a very real, sock-in-the-gut love story.

Sultry with a Twist happens to have all of the above.

Macy Beckett's debut novel is clever, funny, and sweet. I doubt you'll soon forget Mae-June July Augustine or Luke Gallagher. Even the secondary characters, Pru, Bea, and especially Mr. Dimples (Trey) con...more
Jen (RevJen)
It's exactly the sort of romance I enjoy. A little bit of conflict, a little bit of shared history, a mutual understanding eventually. The characters are smart and confident but they fumble a bit with the potential of a relationship. Even a smart and confident person gets a little clumsy when it comes to love.

Awesome author = awesome book.
Rachel Webb
Fantastic new series! I cannot wait to read the next one, but I'll have to wait til March :( The character development was so complete I felt like I knew them in another life. It was funny when it needed to be and heart-warming too. It just made me happy to read it, like a Nora Roberts book, but with the humor of a Rachel Gibson book.
Sheryl
AWESOME debut from a new writer!!! It was sweet and funny and sexy and i definitely look forward to reading more from this author in the future!!
Kristie (fabk)
I really wanted to wait and read the paperback copy that I preordered in March, but I just couldn't do it. When it came available for E-readers in September, I bought it again. I just got around to reading it this week and let me tell you. I LOVED IT!

Mae- June July Augustine was a wonderful character. She was so real, I felt like I knew her in real life. She wasn't your traditional perfectly beautiful woman, she was tall and had brown hair (lately everyone has red hair, what the heck is up with...more
Anne OK
Product Description:

Welcome to Sultry Springs, Texas: where first loves find second chances...

Nine years after June Augustine high tailed it out of Sultry Springs with her heart in pieces, one thing stands between her and her dream of opening an upscale martini bar: a bogus warrant from her tiny Texas hometown. Now she's stuck in the sticks for a month of community service under the supervision of the devilishly sexy Luke Gallagher, her first love and ex-best friend.

If Texas wasn't already hot e
Patty
Looks and sounds great cant wait to get my hands on it!!!!!
Jamie
* Originally posted at Romancing Rakes For The Love Of Romance

June Augustine ran from Sultry Springs nine years ago and hasn’t looked back. That is until she’s forced to serve one month of community service and isn’t allowed to leave the county. June plans on doing her 30 days and heading back to Austin and her new bar. She wants nothing to with Sultry Springs, or so she thinks. Now, she finds herself back in her grandmother’s house and even worse, face to face with Luke Gallagher her former bes...more
Julie (julie37619)

I'm not going to review this one because the author is actually a friend of mine - a Nestie in fact. My policy in regards to Nestie authors is that I don't do critical reviews. I'd be biased, obviously, because I love them, and I'd never critique a friend's work unasked. So that explains the lack of critical review on this one and also gives you a heads up that I may be a bit biased in my love for this book.

I don't typically read romance novels, but since this one is by a Nestie, I made an excep...more
Wanderlust
Cover & Title - 4 out of 5
Favorite Line - "Before Freddy Krueger goes to sleep at night, he checks his closet for your grandma."
Favorite Character - Mae-June July Augustine (i figure her parents lost a bet & that's why she ended up with that name, or maybe the parents were stoned?)

Now i know this is nothing to do with the book but every time i read Luke's full name all i could think about was Liam Gallagher and then Oasis songs would run through my head, it was mighty distracting.

Apart...more
Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog)
This review was posted at Under the Covers

SULTRY WITH A TWIST is a fun contemporary romance about a second chance at love. With a good amount of southern quirkiness and humor, the best part about this story was its southern charm. The little phrases and and all around small town lifestyle and people really got me.

Mae-June July Augustine *giggles* had left Sultry Springs after the man she was in love with rejected her. She never looked back and for the past few years she's been building her life...more
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
Luke can't believe his eyes when he sees June again. More so, he can't wrap his head around the fact that for the next few weeks she will be helping with the house he is repairing. Forced to work together and reconnect, Luke is suddenly remembering their good times together and doubting his decision to leave her in the first place. With a second shot at love, June and Luke learn more about each other, revealing authentic vulnerabilities and insecurities that create a solid platform for a relatio...more
Jenna (JennaHack)
LOVED this book! I laughed. I cried. I had many face-hurting smiling moments. It was great!

June is an awesome character that you can't help but adore. She's quick witted, fiercely loyal, and clumsy as heck. You just have to love her.

Luke is H.O.T. Yes, he is a completely stubborn ass, but the hotness makes up for it!

June & Luke's story is filled with so much fun, love, sexiness, devotion, and yet also stubbornness, confusion, miscommunication, tragedy and more. And I have to say...there were...more
Jess

Okay, so there are things this book did well. It gets points for world building and an atypical setting. This is one of the more believable small towns I've read recently.

It loses points, however, for the hero and the unequal amount of give and take in the h/hr's relationship. She literally gives up everything so he can have his dream and I know I'm supposed to think it's romantic and an act of love, but mostly I just thought it was stupid, especially when coupled with how he treated he...more
Kanya
Wow, what a beautiful story! I couldn't put it down! It made me laugh and cry. It has everything I want in a contemporary romance.

Now I can't wait to read Trey's story.

Macy Beckett, you rock!

P.S. Lori Foster gave 5 stars to this book. How awesome is that for a debut novel?
Yvonne
Solid 4.5 stars!
Fantastic read, really enjoyed this one. I will be definitely be reading #2 in the series.
Mason
Author Macy Beckett has made a splash with her new debut novel dealing with unending love, family problems and finding what you want in life without knowing you were looking.

Opening the pages of SULTRY WITH A TWIST, readers are transported to a small Texas town where everyone knows everyone and everything about them including how to offer second changes and a hand up when needed. It’s filled with Southern sass, sexy cowboys and steamy romance.

Mae-June July Augustine left Sultry Springs nine year...more
Caroline The HEA Lover
(This review was originally published on Book Lovers Inc)

Don’t you love it when you stumble upon a new author and realize their book is probably one of the best things you’ve read this year? Yes that IS a rhetorical question you don’t have to answer. Sultry with a Twist is the 1st book in the Sultry Spring series, and oh boy I will definitely read the next books!

I think the 1st thing I should mention is how hilarious this book is. I cannot count how many times I burst into laughter at the most...more
Cocktails and Books
June, forced back to Sultry Springs to deal with a bench warrant, discovers her best friend and first love, Luke Gallagher, is back in town and the man she must report to for her community service. And despite how things were left the last time they saw each other, the form a truce in hopes of getting their friendship back on track. But what June and Luke discover is that despite what plans they have, fate has a way of showing them what they really need.

I do love a good ole Southern man who's a...more
Amanda
Typically, I am not a reader of the romance genre AT ALL. The one and only Nora Roberts novel I ever read was an absolute chore to get through. So the fact that I found this book fun and sweet is pretty amazing. (view spoiler)

There were a couple of scenes that I felt sort of trailed off without finishing. (view spoiler)...more
Jennie
I generally wait until close to release day to post reviews, but this book is getting an early post because I want everyone to preorder it…now! Not only is the author a pretty awesome person in general (she’s part of my online book club) but this book is the perfect getaway book.

And by that I mean:

It’s light and fluffy, but still carries some emotion and drama
The romance is H-O-T but still sweet and swoony
The characters have real emotions and relationships
The writing carries you along, practical...more
Tammy
  • Once a SEAL (West Coast Navy SEALs, #2)
  • Sweetest Mistake (Sweet, Texas, #2)
  • Rescue My Heart (Animal Magnetism, #3)
  • Kiss the Bride (Includes: Amour et Chocolat, #0.5)
  • Come Fly With Me (Alaskan Nights, #2)
  • Trouble Me (The Rosewood Trilogy, #3)
  • When Snow Falls (Whiskey Creek, #2)
  • Chance of Rain
  • The Unexpected Wedding Guest (The Wedding Season, #1)
  • Crazy Thing Called Love (Crooked Creek Ranch, #3)
  • Barefoot in the Rain (Barefoot Bay, #2)
  • Good Girl Gone Plaid (The McLaughlins, #1)
  • Bungalow Nights (Beach House No. 9, #2)
  • A Town Called Valentine (Valentine Valley #1)
  • Black Widow Demon (Demon Outlaws, #2)
  • How to Misbehave (Camelot, #1)
  • Call Me Wild (Wild Thing #2)
  • Seven Sexy Sins (Love in Reverse, #1)
5142014
I write hot and humorous romances set in the fictional towns of Sultry Springs, Texas and Cedar Bayou, Louisiana, where first loves find second chances.

I also write romantic sci-fi for young adults under the name Melissa Landers. Check out ALIENATED, now available from Disney-Hyperion, and the sequel INVADED, coming February 3, 2015.
More about Macy Beckett...
A Shot of Sultry (Sultry Springs, #2) Surrender to Sultry (Sultry Springs, #3) Make You Mine (Dumont Bachelors, #1) Make You Blush (Dumont Bachelors, #0.5) Make You Remember (Dumont Bachelors, #2)

“We belong together, Junebug. Tell me what I have to do to make that happen. I'll do anything you want.” 5 likes
“As he gave, she took, burning a hole in the mirror with her gaze and repeating I love you like it was the only thing she knew how to say.” 3 likes