In the Window Room (The Histories of Earth, #1)

In the Window Room (The Histories of Earth #1)

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  50 ratings  ·  27 reviews
"There are secret passages all around you if you know where to look for them."

Delany was being punished, and deep in her heart, past the excuses she'd like to make for herself, she knew she'd almost deserved it. And even though that girl, Mattie, had said something dreadful about her father, she knew that she should not have fought with her. Though one can never rewind his...more
Published August 19th 2011 by Globe Light Press

To ask other readers questions about In the Window Room, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Window Room

Lindsay Mead
Truly a delightful and interesting read. For more details check out my spoiler-free video review here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tD9O5...
Rach
This book was GREAT! The way Mr.Carroll described the setting and the events made it to were I didn't want to put the book down. In The Window Room was very well written. For a short novel, I would recommend this book. Keep up the good work Mr.Carroll! I recieved this book, for free, from the Goodreads First Reads.
Vicky
This is a great fantasy fiction book that is full of adventure. I enjoyed this book a lot.I have even checked out the author's music videos on you tube, that are great as well. He has a lot to offer from this book to music. This book is about two young girl's who go on adventures in the window room of a house and they make a lot of friends along the way. It has a king that's bad, lazy guards and a prince who is up for murder. I liked this book a lot. I can't wait to read the other books that the...more
Carlotta
I really loved this book! It has many twists and turns. I think it would be perfect for the 'tween age. I used to read a ton at that age and it was great to be able to sit down and read a book from an author that was clean, intriguing, and perfect for that age group. As a 20-something, I really enjoyed this book and found it to be a page turner. I couldn't put it down! Thanks to the author for writing such a great story with such a different style!
Betsy Pauzauskie
Steven J. Carroll kindly sent this initial book in The Histories of Earth Series with my copy of A Prince of Earth, second book of The Histories of Earth Series, which I won on Goodreads.

When Delany Calbefur (a Mayfield School For Girls student) misbehaves, she is sent from her dormitory room to live alone in the large and vacant Greyford House as punishment. A maid makes her bed and fills the refrigerator with food, yet Delany is isolated from classmates when she isn't attending classes. While...more
thebookfox
Delightful!
Maren
Very cute for a younger audience. I liked the idea and the fantasy elements, but there were some inconsistencies and the writing was a little choppy. He kept alternating between telling the story, telling a joke, and addressing the reader, which in and of itself is not a problem but it didn't always flow. I encountered a couple instances where I was a little confused, like why did Mattie have to go rescue Meris when what ended up happening when she got there was Meris helped Mattie get out? So w...more
Jenna
I won #2 in the series, The Histories of Earth, a Goodreads Giveaway. The author was nice enough to send this book as it is #1 in the series. This book is a very good short story. It seems most of the short stories I read usually miss the mark by being in a hurry and jumbling details or just leaving out important things all together. This book did a very good job of conveying a good story.
Barbara
This is a fantasy story, and the writing seems to be aimed at middle school to high school students, although adults will also enjoy reading it. I would actually give it 3.5 stars if that were possible. The action in the story is well-paced, and it definitely holds your interest. It is such a short book, however, that there were many places where I wished I had more background information to help me empathize with the characters to a greater degree. I didn't find myself caring about the outcome...more
Shayla Drumm
In the Window Room is written for an audience of pre-teen to teenage children. While the subject matter seems appropriate and interesting to children of this age, I think the writing style may be a little complex and duanting. This is a relatively short book so the plot moves along at a brisk pace; however, I found myself distracted by the ever-present tangents and bogged down with unecessary comments from the author. I would not recommend this book for everyone, but there are some avid young re...more
Kelly
My Rating: 2.5

Obtained: Through Goodreads First Reads

In the Window Room is truly a simple book. It is a book that I would have found myself lost in - when I was younger. Now, as a young adult, I don't daydream about getting lost in another world or finding treasures burrowed away. I agree with the other reviewers, In the Window Room is most likely aimed for preteens to young teens.

The ending ended a little too soon for me, maybe it's because In the Window Room is such a thin book that I can...more
Andrea Chairez
I think this is a great book for young readers. The basic story line is interesting and kept you wanting to read more. However I found that the constant asides were very distracting and frustrating.
Even with that I found the book enjoyable and wanting to continue to read it. I plan on giving it to my middle school child to read, as I think she will enjoy it.

Rhonda
I won the Prince of Earth in a give a way from good reads, and the author was kind enough to send me the first book in the series--In the Window Room also. My grandchildren could not really grasp the concept of the words and sentence structures, so I read it on my own.

Sometimes there isn't enough details about the house, globe, Prince's murder charge,or her father's death. Otherwise, the book is still interesting, and I really liked it. I would recommend it to others.
Desiree
So I received this book thought Goodreads First Reads.
This book would be a delightful read for a younger person; probably older child to early teens. It is a fast read, not too overly difficult to understand. The only problem that may arise is some o the words used may not be commonly known to this age group. However, that is not such a bad thing as it may (or may not, depending on the child) encourage the kid to learn and add more words to their expanding vocabulary.
Conny
I was fortunate enough to be a first-reader winner and had a chance to read this delightful book. I believe it is slated for pre-teens to teenagers but I believe adults would enjoy it as well. It is a fairly short book, so the plot moves pretty quick. I was just a little worried about parts of the end that could be upsetting to younger readers. I don't want to give anything away but it involves events that happen after the trial. But overall it was a nice read.
Georgiann Hennelly
This is a great fantasy story with many twists and turns. The action is well paced, and it holds your interest. I really enjoyed this book and found it to be a real page turner.It reminded me of the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe.You get a little something for everyone from an evil King totalking animals.I believe people of all ages will enjoy this book.Even though it is for young adults its a quick read. I look forward to reading more from this author
Heather
This is a goodreads first-reads win.

I'm torn about my feelings for this book. I really like the way it's written and the story idea is really good. The problem is, the book is way to short, you do not get to know the characters, and the world building is basically non-existent. I hope the second book is better.
Lori
English fairy tale at its best. Moves quickly with lots of action. C.S.Lewis would have like this. Good clean reading.
In the Window Room
Daleine
Jun 18, 2012 Daleine added it
Recommends it for: 4th graders and up
Recommended to Daleine by: goodreads book
Good book. It reminds me of Lion, witch and the Wardrobe. It has a rat that can talk and goes from into another world. This book can be read by all ages. Could build on descriptions better but it is a thin book and would be easy to read by 4th graders up. This was a Goodreads book.
Jessica
It's not a new concept a child finding an entry way into another alternate world but still it was a ok read. 2 things that I wasn't a fan of though, I felt the author spoke down to the reader and I didn't feel it ended completely (maybe just not neat enough for my liking)
Katie
I loved this, very sweet and very cute.
Delany was a good character, not too deeply explored, but enough for the story at hand, and in a way that makes her seem unique without the usual Mary-Sue complex.
Jeana
I got the kindle version for free. It is a middle school book. Very short, I felt it ended too quickly.
Grace
It was a AWESOME book! A nice adventure for anyone.
Lily
* Review coming soon *
Qiu Ying
Qiu Ying is currently reading it
Aug 27, 2014
Amy Coffey
Amy Coffey marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Q&A with Stev...: Ask me something... 1 1 Oct 09, 2012 11:30PM
  • Canary in the Coal Mine
  • Gasparilla's Treasure
  • The Golden Scarab (Quest, #1)
  • The Serpent in the Glass (The Tale of Thomas Farrell, #1)
  • Shadowbloom (Rhyme of the Willow, Book 1)
  • Neverdark
  • Hapenny Magick
  • Whirl of the Wheel
  • Neversink
  • The Wounded Heart (Amish Quilt, #1)
  • A Horse Called September
  • Andi Unexpected (Andi Boggs, #1)
  • Nimpentoad
  • The Cabinet of Earths (Maya and Valko, #1)
  • Keeper of Reign
  • The Wizard of Dark Street  (Oona Crate Mystery, #1)
  • Falcon Quinn and the Black Mirror (Falcon Quinn, #1)
  • Nate Rocks the World (Nate Rocks, #1)
Twitter Facebook

Steven J Carroll is the author of In the Window Room and The Road to Jericho. For ten years, he has been an indie songwriter.

In 2011, after being inspired by fellow SoCal author Toby Hoff, Steven J Carroll began to write a book of his own. Which became In the Window Room, a novel about the adventures of young troublemaker, and the fantastic journey she finds in a mysterious old house.

His sec...more
More about Steven J. Carroll...
The Road to Jericho A Prince of Earth (The Histories of Earth, #2) All the Worlds of Men (The Histories of Earth, #3) Worlds Unending (The Histories of Earth, #4)

“Nearly all men have weak hearts, in one way or another.” 3 likes
“There are secret passages all around you if you know where to look for them.” 1 likes