Excellence in Preaching: Studying the Craft of Leading Preachers

Excellence in Preaching: Studying the Craft of Leading Preachers

3.0 of 5 stars 3.00  ·  rating details  ·  18 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Preaching is a dangerously high calling in which mere mortals dare to speak on behalf of God. All too often, well-intentioned preachers preach poorly. But what do good preachers do well? And what can we learn from them? Simon Vibert has studied the work of today's leading preachers with an eye for discerning the dynamics of effective preaching. Each chapter profiles a cont...more
Published November 18th 2011 by IVP Books

To ask other readers questions about Excellence in Preaching, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Excellence in Preaching

Aaron
This was a really great book that examines some characteristics of what makes some well known preachers good communicators. Vibert gives a short bio of each and then examines what makes their preaching so powerful. The conclusion of each chapter he gives four or five principles that preachers can begin to apply and integrate into their ministries. I especially like that he profiles preachers from different theological stripes.
Bob
I was attracted by the idea of this book. Study great preachers to look for the qualities that define the greatness of their preaching. Vibert starts with the greatest of all, Jesus and his Sermon on the Mount. He then explores the work of twelve others, ranging from Tim Keller to John Piper to Nicky Gumbel to Mark Dever and even Mark Driscoll (obviously before some of the controversies surrounding his ministry).

The plan of each chapter is a brief personal profile of the person, a digest version...more
Clint Walker
Overview
Simon Vibert has written a unique text on preaching. In Excellence in Preaching, Vibert chooses twelve well-known, leading evangelical English-speaking preachers from three continents. He analyzes one or two of each of their messages, and points out the strengths of that particular message. Then, he has some take-away tips for preachers to better the execution of their craft.

Personal Response
I enjoyed reading through Excellence in Preaching. There is a lot to learn from this text. There...more
Omar
This book has a very interesting strategy: determine what makes the most influential preaches so influential. Vibert book is based off surveys he performed. The strength of the book was really the conclusion where he brings together all he found into a succinct argument. The chapters on preachers I already knew were interesting, but I skimmed most of the chapters of pastors I was not familiar with. If you pick up this book I would encourage you to read the conclusions of all the chapters and the...more
Anna Bell

This book is not helpful for anyone trying to improve their own preaching. While it does as advertised and provide short case studies of leading preachers, they are all over the map. Maybe I'm seriously out of the loop, but I only recognized a few of them by name in the first place. If you're looking for help, look elsewhere.
Michael Locklear
Simon Vibert shares the strength of 12 pastors who come from various backgrounds, pastoring throughout the world with contrasting beliefs, passions and styles. Vibert closes each chapter with his own "Lessons For Preachers." The book was informative and an easy read.
Bob
A quick read with insights drawn from observing famous preachers. A few of my own favorites were in there and I felt that the author captured their peculiar genius quite well. However, I would've liked to have seen some women in this list as well.
John Wiley
Was really looking forward to this read. It was pretty good, but honestly I already knew a lot of what Vibert had analyzed. The intro was insightful, though.
Ross Estep
Ross Estep marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
James
James marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
Gavin Brown
Gavin Brown marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2014
Brian Veal
Brian Veal marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2014
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2013
Floyd
Floyd is currently reading it
Nov 23, 2013
Joe
Joe marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2013
Jonathan Roberts
Jonathan Roberts marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2013
Freddy Lam
Freddy Lam marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2013
Michael Whitworth
Michael Whitworth marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2013
Daniel Mcgregor
Daniel Mcgregor marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2013
InterVarsity Pres...: My review of Excellence in Preaching 1 3 May 13, 2014 08:42AM
Excellence in Preaching: Learning from the Best Lives Jesus Changed The Diamond Marriage: Have Ultimate Purpose in Your Marriage Excellence in Preaching By Word And Spirit: Two Archbishops On The Doctrine Of Revelation (Orthos)