Start by marking “Excellence in Preaching: Studying the Craft of Leading Preachers” as Want to Read:
Excellence in Preaching: Studying the Craft of Leading Preachers

Excellence in Preaching: Studying the Craft of Leading Preachers

liked it 3.0  ·  Rating Details ·  27 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Preaching is a dangerously high calling in which mere mortals dare to speak on behalf of God. All too often, well-intentioned preachers preach poorly. But what do good preachers do well? And what can we learn from them? Simon Vibert has studied the work of today's leading preachers with an eye for discerning the dynamics of effective preaching. Each chapter profiles a cont ...more
Published November 18th 2011 by IVP Books

To ask other readers questions about Excellence in Preaching, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Excellence in Preaching

Aaron
Apr 17, 2012 Aaron rated it really liked it
This was a really great book that examines some characteristics of what makes some well known preachers good communicators. Vibert gives a short bio of each and then examines what makes their preaching so powerful. The conclusion of each chapter he gives four or five principles that preachers can begin to apply and integrate into their ministries. I especially like that he profiles preachers from different theological stripes.
Bob
May 13, 2014 Bob rated it liked it
I was attracted by the idea of this book. Study great preachers to look for the qualities that define the greatness of their preaching. Vibert starts with the greatest of all, Jesus and his Sermon on the Mount. He then explores the work of twelve others, ranging from Tim Keller to John Piper to Nicky Gumbel to Mark Dever and even Mark Driscoll (obviously before some of the controversies surrounding his ministry).

The plan of each chapter is a brief personal profile of the person, a digest version
Clint Walker
Oct 13, 2011 Clint Walker rated it really liked it
Shelves: preaching
Overview
Simon Vibert has written a unique text on preaching. In Excellence in Preaching, Vibert chooses twelve well-known, leading evangelical English-speaking preachers from three continents. He analyzes one or two of each of their messages, and points out the strengths of that particular message. Then, he has some take-away tips for preachers to better the execution of their craft.

Personal Response
I enjoyed reading through Excellence in Preaching. There is a lot to learn from this text. There
Joe Valenti
Nov 24, 2014 Joe Valenti rated it liked it
Shelves: own, preaching
This was a good little book. Vibert explores some of the best preachers alive today (in his opinion) and breaks down the details of what makes them excellent preachers. I was quite familiar with most of the American preachers, but knew only a few of those representing the UK. It was really good to learn about the preaching ministries of some new men from the UK.

One thing to note is that some of these men have preaching ministries that work particularly well due to the fact that they know their
Omar
Sep 20, 2013 Omar rated it it was ok
Shelves: preaching, 2013
This book has a very interesting strategy: determine what makes the most influential preaches so influential. Vibert book is based off surveys he performed. The strength of the book was really the conclusion where he brings together all he found into a succinct argument. The chapters on preachers I already knew were interesting, but I skimmed most of the chapters of pastors I was not familiar with. If you pick up this book I would encourage you to read the conclusions of all the chapters and the ...more
Anna Bell
Jun 29, 2012 Anna Bell rated it it was ok

This book is not helpful for anyone trying to improve their own preaching. While it does as advertised and provide short case studies of leading preachers, they are all over the map. Maybe I'm seriously out of the loop, but I only recognized a few of them by name in the first place. If you're looking for help, look elsewhere.
Michael Locklear
Simon Vibert shares the strength of 12 pastors who come from various backgrounds, pastoring throughout the world with contrasting beliefs, passions and styles. Vibert closes each chapter with his own "Lessons For Preachers." The book was informative and an easy read.
Bob Wolniak
Feb 13, 2015 Bob Wolniak rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian
A quick read with insights drawn from observing famous preachers. A few of my own favorites were in there and I felt that the author captured their peculiar genius quite well. However, I would've liked to have seen some women in this list as well.
John Wiley
Aug 16, 2013 John Wiley rated it liked it
Was really looking forward to this read. It was pretty good, but honestly I already knew a lot of what Vibert had analyzed. The intro was insightful, though.
Josh
Josh rated it it was ok
Jan 05, 2015
Michael Chen
Michael Chen rated it liked it
Mar 25, 2013
Dan Franklin
Dan Franklin rated it liked it
Feb 19, 2013
Brian Veal
Brian Veal rated it liked it
Jun 02, 2016
Greg Smith
Greg Smith rated it liked it
Dec 02, 2014
Jeffrey Backlin
Jeffrey Backlin rated it liked it
Jun 09, 2014
Mark Bates
Mark Bates rated it liked it
Dec 23, 2014
David Sunday
David Sunday rated it it was ok
Jul 04, 2013
Brian Johnson
Brian Johnson rated it it was ok
Jan 14, 2013
Bryce
Bryce rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2012
Tobias Svensson
Tobias Svensson rated it liked it
Dec 08, 2015
Tim
Tim rated it liked it
Feb 09, 2012
Dj Timbits
Dj Timbits rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2016
Dustin Dejong
Dustin Dejong rated it liked it
Apr 18, 2014
Ryan Swale
Ryan Swale rated it liked it
May 17, 2014
Jay Johnson
Jay Johnson rated it liked it
Jan 09, 2016
David
David rated it liked it
Jan 21, 2016
Russ
Russ rated it liked it
Aug 02, 2013
Elisabeth
Elisabeth marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2012
Louis
Louis marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2012
Joseph
Joseph marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2012
Pops
Pops marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2012
Amy Jacobsen
Amy Jacobsen marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2012
Daniel Mcgregor
Daniel Mcgregor marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2013
Michael Whitworth
Michael Whitworth marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2013
Freddy Lam
Freddy Lam marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2013
Jonathan Roberts
Jonathan Roberts marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2013
Joe
Joe marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2013
Floyd
Floyd is currently reading it
Nov 23, 2013
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2013
Gavin Brown
Gavin Brown marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2014
James
James marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
Ross Estep
Ross Estep marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Jacob Sweeney
Jacob Sweeney marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
Floyd
Floyd is currently reading it
Dec 29, 2014
InterVarsity Pres...: My review of Excellence in Preaching 1 5 May 13, 2014 08:42AM