Start by marking “A Still, Small Voice” as Want to Read:
A Still, Small Voice

A Still, Small Voice

3.28 of 5 stars 3.28  ·  rating details  ·  205 ratings  ·  46 reviews
After a student’s accusation of sexual assault destroyed his reputation, Noah Birchwood left the teaching career he loved. The school system that should have protected him and an ex-lover who should have known better shattered his confidence, and it took Noah six years and another university degree to finally get his life back on track.

He loves his new job as a computer pr
Published September 16th 2011 by Dreamspinner Press (first published September 15th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about A Still, Small Voice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Still, Small Voice

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick

A Still, Small Voice is a m/m story that touches on a sensitive issue, and had the potential to be a very powerful tale about letting go, moving on, and living rather than merely existing. I was drawn in to Noah’s world as he was finally able to recount the details of the most devastating event in his life, but sadly, that’s where the potential for a poignant story ended, and this book almost landed on my ‘did not finish’ shelf. I am, however, very glad I stuck it out because in the end, it was
Deeze
Sad to say that after a great start this turned into a big disappointment.

(view spoiler)
Chris
Ok m/m romance about a teacher who left his job after being falsely accused of raping a student. Now, six years later, that time comes back to haunt him. The beginning of the book was hampered by awkwardly integrated flashback infodumping, while the end suddenly tried to morph into a mystery without much success.
Heather♥

I was immediately drawn into the book by Noah's recounting of the humiliation and pain he suffered for being arrested and falsely accused of raping a student. His best friend Aiden was wonderfully supportive and added a lot of humor to the story. But then it felt like we spent way too long taking a trip down memory lane about Noah's relationship with his ex Paul. In fact, I had to re-read the blurb to make sure this wasn't supposed to be about Noah and Paul getting back together. It did
Kristie
I think I liked the MC's, but not the best friend. No, he was an annoying ass. The big "thing" was not so big and seriously, how Noah could have let himself brush so much off at the time the charges happened is beyond me.

The parts that were okay were the sweet way Oscar was with Noah. How Noah was with Oscar. They are nice together but I think if it wasn't for Oscar, I'd have not finished the book. Really. That's it. I didn't even really like the sex. I know! ME! Me not liking the sex! What is
Mandi
3 stars. Okay read, and well written, but way too much emphasis on the ex in the beginning of the book. (according to my kindle, the two main love interests didn't meet until after the 36% point) I never really connected to Noah or Oscar either.
LaShonta
I'm not sure what to say about this one. Let me start I guess by saying what I liked about the book. Not much I'm afraid. I didn't feel a connection between Noah and Oscar at all. It seemed to me Noah was to busy thinking about Paul, his ex. The flashbacks were horrid. They would come out of no where in the middle of the present. It was very nauseating. The constant flashbacks about Paul for 60% of the book was overkill. I actually felt bad for Oscar. I understand you have issues with your ex an ...more
Meggie
The story of this book was well developed and written. But somehow I didn't connect to neither Noah nor Oscar. The emotions around the plot were real and could feel them, but like I said, I simply didn't connect to this couple.
Kiki
3.5 I enjoyed it, but awkward digressions into memory and too much focus on the ex at the beginning of the story diluted the impact of the actual romance somewhat.
SheReadsALot
Free until Noon EST 11/7/14

GO! A Still, Small Voice by DW Marchwell is FREE for one hour ONLY in today's #tweetaway! http://t.co/jhxeE3SPQB
Kristy Maitz
D.W. Marchwell really wasted his time with his new book. Plot of this book is idiotic. The start is good and it pulls you in. But then he starts with past/present chapters and as a reader you don't gave a shit about past mostly because Paul character get negative sound from point A.

From my point of view Marchwell also made mistake with Paol character, and then with Oscar which is not interesting in any way.

If the writer don't have anyone who could read book before released day and gave him poin
Dreamer80
Ok…I’ve to say I really liked the blurb of this book but unfortunately, I can’t give more than 3.5 stars.
I liked the love story between Noah and Oscar, full of passion and very HOT!!
I loathed Paul and his “I’m sorry I ruined your reputation and left you alone while that student called you a rapist but I had my secret to protect” attitude. People can really be vile but what I hate the most is when they think it’s ok to use you, throwing you away when you’re not useful anymore and then, thinking t
Jess Candela
I didn't get past the first chapter, it was far too full of exposition about past events, left me feeling like a distant observer rather than engaged in the story or characters. And Paul sounded horrible, and I really couldn't understand why Noah would want him or be willing to forgive him. I think that was actually the last straw for me, when Noah thought how he'd forgive Paul in a second if he had the chance.
Kathleen
This was an enjoyable read. I liked the sort of twisty past/present plot lines altho I got to the point where I was just skipping the sex scenes. 3.5 stars rounded up to 4 for goodreads.
Kerry  sullivan
This book was reviewed for Musings of a bookworm

The Blurb

He loves his new job as a computer programmer and keeps busy on weekends performing at a drag club w
Sadonna
This is the story of Noah - a teacher who is betrayed and accused of sexual assault. He leads a fairly closeted life - not wanting his sexual orientation to be an issue at the high school where he teaches. He begins an affair with a new teacher, Paul, only to discover that the man is also seeing a woman - another coworker.

After he is arrested and then exonnerated, Noah cannot go back to teaching. He ends up getting a degree in computer science and becoming a successful programmer with a complet
Larena
Contemporary, Canada

Noah Lowe loved his job as a teacher until the day he was falsely accused of a sexual assault by a student. That was when he had to find another career. Now six years later he has found a career he loves more but he still needs to rebuild the confidence he lost due to the accusations. Noah is now a computer programmer during the day and a drag queen with his best friend, Aiden in the evenings he is finally finding a measure of happiness that they accusation stole from him.

O
ManOhMan
Annette Gisby
Suze
Mar 09, 2015 Suze rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Suze by: 2014 DSP Tweetaway
At the start, we follow the demise of Noah's teaching career and his relationship with Paul through a series of flashbacks. These are triggered by Paul moving in next door.
Then there is the gentle courtship of Noah and Oscar. This is very sappy but sweet - and soon turns into the Noah and Oscar sex show! Those guys are all over each other. I did feel there could have been more of Oscar's history here, it did feel almost like bits of the story were missing.
Paul's part in Noah's life was working u
Stacey
A Still, Small Voice is a flawed book. It has so many promises from the beginning that become more ethereal as the book moves on - scandal, relationships, true romance, self-acceptance - these topics are all there, ready to be mixed. You continue reading, hoping that the moment will come when disparate pieces suddenly start to gel, but it never comes. Disappointing.

There is a depth to Noah that is hinted at, it clings to him chapter after chapter, but Marchwell is never able to make Noah a cohe
TracyG.

I enjoyed most of this book... I did not like Paul or the fact that midway through a chapter the book flashed back 6 years repeatedly... This kept happening until I was 50% through... The book was a great read after that.
I did like Noah and Oscar, I thought they fit together perfectly. I'm glad they got there HEA
Angela
Sep 22, 2011 Angela rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Erotica, m/m, romannce,
I wasn't as impressed with this book as I usually am with Mr. Marchwell's writing. While I really liked the storyline I didn't really like the characters involved at first. Noah was a little too hung up on the past and I do realize that being accused of a crime he didn't commit can mess with his mind. Not to mention being screwed over by his boyfriend at the same time, but he spends most of the book almost obsessed with it. Then up pops Oscar and even before their first date he is planning a lif ...more
jules0623
Chris
I won't bore you with another retelling of the plot.

I read this book all in one sitting last night and enjoyed most of it. Noah is a great character who I really found myself rooting for. His best friend Aiden stole the show in the scenes he was in (in a good way). Oscar was a little more one dimensional but a good character none the less.

Paul was a good antagonist but the conflict was not really clear on why he did what he did. I never really got that part.

The romance was good, the main charac
Kira
a nice story.

i was disappointed that even though the blurb refers to one of the characters as a drag performer there was almost no reference in the book.
Romance
I would have given this more, but I felt as though Noah received love not justice in this story.
K
Nov 07, 2014 K marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Dreamspinner Tweetaway 7.11.14
Jayded
Apr 27, 2012 Jayded marked it as m-m-read  ·  review of another edition
I am about two thirds through this book, and I will finish it, but I do have some issues with it. One, that I haven't seen mentioned in any other reviews, is, There are timeline inconsistencies. It was very confusing jumping back and forth from past to present the way it's done here in the first place, but there were numerous mistakes in the timeline which just made it worse.
Also, the relationship between the two MC's is nothing but sex. I don't feel any other connection between them.
D
I really wanted to like this more, and I'm torn between 2 and 3 stars so I'll leave it at 3. I hate saying this but there was too much sex. I liked the characters and would have liked more of them beyond the grunting. I am all for safe sex, but I didn't understand why condoms were such a big part of the sex life of Noah and Oscar, even after they had been together for a long time. Wouldn't most people get tested and give up the condoms in a monogamous, trusting relationship?
Dreamspinner Press: A Still, Small Voice by D.W. Marchwell 10 39 Sep 19, 2011 03:36PM
  • Stranded (Stranded, #1)
  • But Not For Me
  • Spark (North Star, #1)
  • First Flight
  • Island House (Dropping Anchor #1)
  • Patient Privilege
  • Indie Radio 113.9
  • Cross Bones
  • Sweet Giordan, Please Remember (Hearts in Reverie #1)
  • Not As Easy As It Looks
  • Rarer Than Rubies
  • His Soul to Take
  • The Auspicious Troubles of Chance (The Auspicious Troubles of Love, #1)
  • Submerging Inferno (Men of Myth, #1)
  • Hot Mess
  • Breaking Faith (Breaking Faith, #1)
  • The Magic Broom
  • Wrestling Demons (Brandt and Donnelly Caper, #2)
When D. W. Marchwell is not teaching future generations the wonders of science, he can usually be found hiking, writing, riding horses, trying new recipes, or searching for and lovingly restoring discarded antique furniture. A goofy and incurable romantic, D.W. admits that his stories are inspired by actual events and has a soft spot for those where boy not only meets boy but also turns out to be ...more
More about D.W. Marchwell...
Good to Know (Good to Know, #1) Falling (Falling #1) An Earlier Heaven (Good to Know, #2) When Memory Fails (Falling #2) Roots and Wings (Good to Know, #3)