Start by marking “War and Peas” as Want to Read:
War and Peas

War and Peas (Jane Jeffry #8)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  762 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Suburban Chicago housewife and part-time sleugh Jane Jeffry returns in her eighth cozy mystery in an award-winning series. Jane Jeffry is a cross between Miss Marple and Erma Bombeck.--Mysteries by Mail.
Published 1996 by Avon Books

To ask other readers questions about War and Peas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about War and Peas

Drebbles
It is the annual Pea Festival in Jane Jeffrey's hometown and Jane and her friend Shelley Nowack are participating in a number of activities including sorting through items at the Snellin Museum and taking part in a Civil War reenactment. Jane thought the reenactment would be interesting, but she wasn't expecting museum director Regina Price Palmer to be murdered during the battle. Jane's boyfriend, police detective Mel Van Dyne, is investigating the case, but Jane's work inside the museum gives ...more
Cozy mystery series usually have a general theme. Jane's a stay at home mom who participates in the PTA and has preformed volunteer work numerous times during the series. Therefore, this specific series doesn't have much that holds it together and the theme varies as to what Jane is involved with in each specific book. Because of this, it's difficult to go into the books knowing what to expect. One book may have everything you love in a mystery and the next could easily bore you.

In War and Peas,
Pat
Civil War re-enactment.
Pea museum.
Director and Assistant Director killed.
Peas - seeds in stuffed cat.
Elicia Holly
Wonderful book, anyone that loves mystery will love jill Churchill! She's exceptional!
Nancy
Two funny detectives?? Like the banter between the two friends, but too much what if!! Or who done it.
Pat
The legendary "Pea King" is dead. Jane Jeffry & friend Shelley Nowack have part-time jobs at the Snellen Museum, an institution dedicated to legumes & local lore. As always there, Jane & Shelley have to do their detective work trying to find out who murdered the museum's director. This author is a slow read but the books always end up with which one done it to the very end.
Carol
I love the Jane Jeffry series and this one did not disappoint! Set in a museum dedicated to peas, yes peas, and filled with petty and not so petty jealousies it's a fast read and even has a little humoe in it. It would be fun to be Jane or Shelley and have adventures in my neighborhood like they do!

George
Another in the Jane Jeffry mystery series. In this one, Jane and her friend Natalie become involved in two murders at a museum they are volunteering at. Jane and Natalie work through the various clues and piece things together as they work their way through the various secondary issues in the story.
Sandra Strange
These cozies are harmless and entertaining, especially if you are a homemaker and mother who can relate to the protagonist's stresses (although she sure finds time to eat with her friend at nice restaurants A LOT). The plots are ok, but not overly complex. Fun light reading.
Mary Newcomb
The local museum director is killed during a Civil War re-enactment. Jane and Shelley learn about that and much more while volunteering there. My local museum does not offer that level of intrigue to its volunteers. Hmm!

Kyrie
Again, I had a hard time caring about the victim. The story does contain some odd facts about peas and re-enactors. And hey, there is a whole museum dedicated to peas?
Joanie
Jane and Shelley worked at the "Pea Museum" and tried to solve a recent murder. This was and funny but entertaining, amusing and mysterious!
angeljoy
War And Peas was ok, but I feel that some of her other books in this series are better. Maybe I've just outgrown these...
Raven Ivanov
The last of my currently reading books...I think lol. This mystery is a bit slow for me but who knows it could pick up.
Elaine
what...... That ending came out of nowhere. Reminded me of the Law & Order where the blonde ass't DA quit.
Jane
A patron recommended this book to me but I did not like it. Did not even get through the 2nd chapter.
Mosunflower
A"cozy" mystery that makes an easy read while vacationing. But over-all the story is pretty weak.
Barbara
I like the way this author writes her mystery books. I also like to read books in a series.
Dee
Another light read from Jill Churchill's character, Jane Jeffry, and friend, Shelley.
Joanne
To me this book and characters were boring. Had trouble picking it up to finish it.
Mollie
Feb 27, 2009 Mollie marked it as wishlist
War and Peas (Jane Jeffry Mysteries, No. 8) by Jill Churchill (1997)
Kathy
Cute book - easy read
Brenda Benoit
Brenda Benoit marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
  • Yankee Doodle Dead (Death on Demand, #10)
  • Southern Ghost (Death on Demand, #8)
  • Dune to Death (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #4)
  • Gruel and Unusual Punishment (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #10)
  • Fat Free and Fatal (Savannah Reid, #12)
  • To Love and To Perish (Annabelle Archer, #3)
  • Bound for Murder (A Scrapbooking Mystery, #3)
  • Perfect Sax (Madeline Bean, #6)
  • A Diet to Die For (Claire Malloy, #5)
A pseudonym used by Janice Young Brooks.

Jill Churchill, winner of the Agatha and Macavity Mystery Readers Awards, and nominated for an Anthony for her best-selling Jane Jeffry series, lives as Jane does, in a midwestern suburb. On purpose! She says writing this series and the Grace and Favor series is the best treat she can have without a knife and fork.

Under her real name, Janice Young Brooks, an
More about Jill Churchill...

Jane Jeffry (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Grime and Punishment (Jane Jeffry, #1)
  • A Farewell to Yarns (Jane Jeffry, #2)
  • A Quiche Before Dying (Jane Jeffry, #3)
  • The Class Menagerie (Jane Jeffry, #4)
  • A Knife to Remember (Jane Jeffry, #5)
  • From Here to Paternity (Jane Jeffry, #6)
  • Silence of the Hams (Jane Jeffry, #7)
  • Fear of Frying (Jane Jeffry, #9)
  • The Merchant of Menace (Jane Jeffry, #10)
  • A Groom with a View (Jane Jeffry, #11)
Grime and Punishment (Jane Jeffry, #1) Anything Goes (Grace & Favor, #1) A Farewell to Yarns (Jane Jeffry, #2) A Knife to Remember (Jane Jeffry, #5) The Class Menagerie (Jane Jeffry, #4)