Start by marking “Les Sorcières de l'épouvanteur (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles)” as Want to Read:
Les Sorcières de l'épouvanteur (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles)
Preview

Les Sorcières de l'épouvanteur (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles)

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  2,007 ratings  ·  88 reviews
Florilège de cinq nouvelles par le biais desquelles Joseph Delaney approfondit le passé, le mode de vie et l'univers des sorcières de sa célèbre saga, de même que les liens qui unissent ces créatures terrifiantes à l'Épouvanteur et à son apprenti. Le premier récit cède la parole à John Gregory, qui se remémore son amour interdit pour la lamia Meg Skelton et les événements ...more
Broché, 216 pages
Published August 2011 by Bayard (first published October 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Les Sorcières de l'épouvanteur, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Les Sorcières de l'épouvanteur

Glamdring
I really loved how Joseph Delaney told each short story using each time a different voice. And I want to learn more about Grimalkin!!!

I started reading this series because my youngest son asked me to read it with him and I'm absolutely fan. :)
Larissa
performing sacrifices and causing deaths. They are greatly feared and rightly so, for Witches in the world of The Spook's are some of the most dangerous and complicated creatures you will ever find.

Meg Skelton.
John Gregory is a Spook and deals with all manner of creatures of the dark including ghosts, boggarts and witches. Meg Skelton is a damsel in distress rescued by the Spook, John. It was love at first sight. However when John discovers that Meg wears pointy shoes things became complicated.
colleen the contrarian  ± (... never stop fighting) ±
A collection of short stories, we see a glimpse into the different lives and backstories of some of the characters including Alice and the Spook - specifically Alice's earliest days with Lizzy and a story from the story of how the Spook met Meg. We also get a story from a witch's perspective, and one from Tom during his time with Bill Arkwright - though where that fits into the novel version of his time with Bill, chronologically speaking, isn't entirely clear.

Anyway - the stories were interesti
Amanda
Like many other Last Apprentice fans, I was disappointed when I found out that A Coven of Witches wasn't the next book in the series, but just another supplement of short stories similar to The Spook's Tale. While I was grateful to at least get a taste of the dark, I was hoping for a little more.

A Coven of Witches includes four short stories plus a twenty-page preview of Rise of the Huntress, the next book in the series. The first short story follows Gregory in his younger years and the tale of
Eden
There are four short stories in this book. The first story is told by John Gregory. It is about Meg, the witch he fell in love and what happened after finding her.

The second story is told by Dirty Dora Deane. She is a dead witch that lives in the Witch Dell. The story is about how she died and soon after, took her revenge on those who killed her.

The third story is told by Alice. It is about her first week with Bony Lizzie and how she survived.

The fourth and final story is told by Tom. It is abou
Charlotte Jones
Joseph Delaney has a writing style that completely draws you in to each story and although, like in most short story collections that I have read, some stories are better than others, each one is action-packed and is so engrained in the world of spooks that the author has created that you get sucked into each one.

This collection of five stories can be read separate from the main series and would still make complete sense, as it did for me.

Each story was written from a different character's pers
Lex (Fastidious Reader)
Grimalkin's Story is pretty good! I liked her story a lot. She's a kick-ass character, that's for sure! She wants to kill the Fiend, or at least take revenge for what he did to their son. Poor, Grimalkin.

In any case...

[image error]
Hector Barrera
Kat
3.5 rounded up to 4

Alice's story was honestly pretty awesome, and it showcased Joseph Delaney's real talent for coming up with creepy creatures and situations, like the brain-guzzlers and the headless, undead witch.

The story of the wick witch was also a nifty addition, and could almost stand on its own. It's also the first time we've gotten the perspective of a malevolent witch.

The story of Meg was a lot less interesting than it should have been. It's not really anything that we didn't already k
Catherine
So enjoyed all the stories, especially Alice and the Brain Guzzler. Couldn't put it down.....read most of it in one sitting!
Jeannie Mancini
Which Witch Will Bewitch You?

Just when I think Joseph Delaney’s Last Apprentice stories can’t get any scarier, he comes back and frightens me even more! A Coven of Witches is Delaney’s second volume of short stories involving the characters that we see in the ongoing saga of the Spook’s Apprentice Tom Ward. Teasing us with another intermediary volume of mini tales of terror that will scare the breath out of you, this book offers up some pretty gruesome, gross and gory vignettes starring the many
Mallou14
Les Sorcières de l’Epouvanteur est un livre hors série qui complète un peu la série de l’Epouvanteur de Joseph Delaney. Je n’ai pas encore chroniqué de livre de cette série vu que le blog est encore tout neuf, alors il faut savoir que ce sont des livres que j’aime beaucoup. On y trouve des sorcières méchantes et hideuses à souhait. Les créatures du mal ont chacune leur spécialité. Ce sont des tomes très agréable à lire. Ce livre est divisé en plusieurs histoires.

Première histoire : Meg Skelton.
Clay!
This book is kind of part of The Last Apprentice series. There are about four or so stories in the this book. Most of them about characters and their stories before the begining of the series. It begins with the main character's master. It is about when he becomes a spook. Then it tells about a girl named Alice and how her aunt takes her then teaches her how to be a witch. Another witch who is now dead (she is kind of like a zombie, long story), well she tells about her story. I think it's kind ...more
Karissa
This is another set of four short stories set in the The Last Apprentice world all featuring witches.

- Meg Skeleton: Fills in the story of how the Spook met Meg and details the events that happened with Meg and her sister that lead to their imprisonment. Most of this you already know if you are reading the series, but it was nice to have this subplot filled out.
- Dirty Dora: gives some insight into how dead witches become dead witches. This was an okay story but nothing too exciting.
- Alice and
Kyan
I like this book because it has multiple stories in it. The stories are about witchcraft and stuff like that. I do not have one specific favorite story, but I can tell a summary of a story.

There is a witch, and the witch adopted someone. I'm not quite sure what happened, but I'm pretty sure out of my memories that she was adopted. She learns the new rules of the house and she meets the pet of the house which is one of the most dangerous creatures, it is called a brain guzzler. The young witch ma
Matt Richter
This is a supplemental book to Joseph Delaney's Wardstone Chronicles Series (which I'm a big fan of) containing 5 short stories. It should definitely be read after reading the first 6 books from the main series. I wasn't expecting too much from this one, cos I haven't really developed much of an appreciation for short stories when compared to normal length stories. My expectation was probably something akin to viewing the deleted scenes in the DVD release of a film. But I was pleasantly surprise ...more
IndyPL Kids Book Blog
The Last Apprentice series is about Tom, the seventh son of a seventh son, who is an apprentice to the village spook. The spook’s job is to protect the village from ghouls, boggarts, witches and all kinds of nasty, scary creatures. Tom has all kinds of adventures with creepy creatures he has to outsmart and out-conjure. The author relishes the descriptions of creepiness that will give you goosebumps. These are great Halloween reading.

A Coven of Witches is a companion to the series. It includes t
Pauline
This is the first book by Joseph Delaney that I read, I do not know the other titles he wrote, but I really liked this one and I think I am going to read all the others!

This book is really "cool". So interesting I could not stop reading it, it was a real pleasure.
I like Delaney's universe, this magic/fantasy/mythical/celtical one. This book has all the elements I like in fact.

It contains 5 stories, 3 from witches' point of view, which was a change. All the stories are quite full of actions. Som
Ramsey Isler
I liked this book for its interesting chapters told from the perspective of witches both young and old, alive and dead. The mythology here is rich and fitting for the time period, and each witch exposes the reader to a different part of what it means to be a witch. Sometimes you sympathize with them, sometimes you just want to throw that witch's ass in a bonfire.

What I didn't like so much was the chapters told from the perspective of the Spooks, the witch hunters. Compared to the witches, they'r
Scott
I stumbled across this book in the library - didn't even realize it was part of a series. But I was very impressed! A nice little collection of short stories that really has the feel of an Old World fairy tale. By which I mean, these stories may be a bit intense for children (even YA) who are squeamish. They're not "graphic" but they are filled with the kind of scare and creep that leave a lot to the imagination. And, like real fairy tales, they are full of events involving people doing "bad thi ...more
Matt
It was refreshing to see Delaney's world from a few other perspectives. The stories were short but still complete and give some interesting context to events that occur in the series.
Michelle E.
A nice compliment to the main series. I really liked Alice's story and how she delt with Bony Lizzie's little creep of a familiar!
Angelic Zaizai
Kumpulan side-story tentang John Gregory, Dirty Dora, Alice, Tom Ward.
Cerita John Gregory tentang awal-awal kenalan sama Meg, sampe Meg dan kakaknya ditinggal di rumah musim dinginnya.
Dirty Dora ga terlalu suka, abis serem sih yak, udah mati juga, tapi tetap cerita
hihihi
Suka juga cerita Alice, waktu dia pertama diambil sama Bonnie Lizzie dan diajarin sihir.
Cerita Tom Ward juga bagus, ketemu banshee yang bukan banshee, dan ceritanya sewaktu dia dititipkan ke Bill Arkwright. Ada cerita kutukan ju
Kenna
Review coming.

3.5 stars for A Coven of Witches

.75/1 star for plot

.5/1 star for writing

.75/1 star for characters

1.5/2 stars for personal enjoyment
Angie
I enjoyed these short stories and wouldn't mind more.
Corinne
Some consider this book 6.5 and I would agree.

It has (1) Meg Skelton (2) Dirty Dora (3) Alice and the Brain Guzzler (4) The Banshee Witch. Maybe the publisher should make it stand out with the title or cover that it's not the next book in the story to reduce complaints. But I did enjoy the stories. I love that he is able to go back in the storyline and give us some more information, ("in between" stories). I hope he continues to publish shorts and publish longs and to keep writing. I love enteri
Angie
One of my wishes is to read about Meg's story, and finally in this second addition book I know how the spook first met her. Hope in the next book the author will write about Tom Ward's Mam.
The story I like most is about Alice and Old Spig, from the first book Tom met Alice, she's so mysterious and you can't always tell what's on her head. This is the story of her first experience training and practicing witchcraft.

"I'm going to survive. You can be sure of that. It's as certain as my name's Alice
Jenn B
Seemed like just more filler.
Joey the J in R.J. Spindle
Young Gregory was a hero when he saved Meg. She claims him like Alice claimed Tom in the main series. I like how Gregory doesn't start as black and white as he becomes later in life. Old Gregory would put the witch in a pit, or just walk away if she was lucky! And Now for sexy spook time.

Read more and add your own commentary at R. J. Spindle
Don
  • The Branding
  • Last Seen After Midnight (Trese, #4)
  • Dead Drop: A Lawson Vampire Bonus Story
  • The Revenge of the Wizard's Ghost (Johnny Dixon, #4)
  • The Knight of Death: The Assassin Chronicles (The Red Cross of Gold #1)
  • The Crowfield Curse (Crowfield Abbey, #1)
  • The Lost Barkscrolls
  • Lifeblood (Darkside, #2)
  • Reborn! Vol. 14: The Sky Match Arrives!
  • Fire on the Mountain
  • Shattered: A Daughter's Regret (Secrets, #2)
  • The Hand of the Necromancer (Johnny Dixon, #10)
  • Alice at Heart (Waterlilies, #1)
  • Once Upon a Time is Now (The Grimm Curse)
  • Young Lord of Khadora (Forgotten Legacy, #1)
  • My Sparkling Misfortune (The Lakeland Knight #1)
  • Candle Man: The Society of Dread (Candle Man, #2)
Joseph Delaney is a full time writer living in Lancashire, in the heart of Boggart territory. He first got the idea for the Wardstone Chronicles series when he moved to the village where he lives now and discovered there was a local boggart - ‘a man like me needs boggarts around’. He made a note in his notebook ‘a story about a man who hunts boggarts’ and years later when he had to come up with an ...more
More about Joseph Delaney...

The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Revenge of the Witch (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, #1)
  • Curse of the Bane (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, #2)
  • Night of the Soul Stealer (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, #3)
  • Attack of the Fiend (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, #4)
  • The Spook's Mistake (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, #5)
  • The Spook's Sacrifice (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, #6)
  • Rise of the Huntress (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, #7)
  • Rage of the Fallen (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, #8)
  • I Am Grimalkin (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, #9)
  • The Spook's Blood (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, #10)
Revenge of the Witch (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, #1) Curse of the Bane (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, #2) Night of the Soul Stealer (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, #3) Attack of the Fiend (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, #4) The Spook's Mistake (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, #5)