Start by marking “Hollow City (Miss Peregrine’s Peculiar Children, #2)” as Want to Read:
Hollow City (Miss Peregrine’s Peculiar Children, #2)
Read Excerpt

Hollow City (Miss Peregrine’s Peculiar Children #2)

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  47,007 ratings  ·  6,190 reviews
The Hollow City by Ransom Riggs is...well...a little hollow. It lacks the surprises and gradual unfolding of revelation that made Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children a special kind of read. In this continuation, the fantasy is foremost and the book is typical, though well-written, fantasy-journey.

This second novel begins in 1940, immediately after the first book ended. Havi
Published January 14th 2014 by Quirk Books

To ask other readers questions about Hollow City, please sign up.

Jami Late 2015 is when the 3rd book will come out and Tim Burton is making a movie from the first one.
Christina I thought it was a little less suspenseful, but other than that, it's a splendid read.
City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra ClareThe Blood of Olympus by Rick RiordanThe One by Kiera CassCress by Marissa MeyerDreams of Gods & Monsters by Laini Taylor
Can't Wait Books of 2014
26th out of 2,641 books — 15,824 voters
YA Novels of 2014
21st out of 1,499 books — 8,164 voters

More lists with this book...

Kat O'Keeffe
More like 4.5 stars. Really enjoyed this book, just not quite as much as the first one! Loving the series overall so far, and can't wait for book 3 this fall!
Jon
Check out Scott Reads It for more reviews!

Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children is one of my all-time favorite books and I've been waiting to read Hollow City for ages! As soon as I received Hollow City, I began to devour this strange book and I believe Hollow City is even better than Mrs. P's. Hollow City does an excellent job of creating a captivating, magical world and accompanying the plot with finely selected vintage photos.

The photographs in Hollow City are just as bizarre and out
Ivana
Dec 04, 2013 Ivana marked it as to-read
what is it with you people and rating books that arent even PUBLISHED??!!! COME ON!! ...more
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
HOLY CRAP. I CAN'T EVEN. I'll write my thoughts when I'm able to GATHER my thoughts, but know that I LOVED THIS BOOK SO MUCH.
Ferdy
Spoilers

Disappointing. The plot was uninteresting, the characters were unremarkable, and the romance was lame.

-Summary: Miss Peregine's school and the time loop she created destroyed by hollows/wights/the bad guys, the peculiars/students on the run, Miss Peregine poisoned and not able to fix the loop and protect her kids, Jacob and the other peculiars have to avoid the bad guys and find another headteacher to help Miss Peregine get back to normal.

-The majority of Hollow City was dull, there was
Trina (Between Chapters)
3.5 stars.

Unfortunately, Hollow City is a case of Second Book Syndrome.

Extremely slow start, with many scenarios that I found just too far fetched. (view spoiler) There has to be a suspension of belief when reading any work of fiction, especially fantasy. But it was too far a stretch for me to believe that the events could happen so easily. Not that the characters
Carla
That ending: WHAT THE HELL JUST HAPPENED?
Lindsey Lewis
I won Hollow City as part of Goodreads First Reads giveaway. Can we say BEST CHRISTMAS PRESENT EVARR? The waiting thing is destroying me though and I may just sit at the mailbox until I get it.

REVIEW: Jacob and the Peculiar Children we've grown to know and love are back. Their adventure opens immediately after the close of the first novel, and as they set out to save Miss Peregrine, new danger and excitement awaits them. Jacob struggles with his newfound abilities, and the pressure of leaving hi
Laz
What a disappointment..

I had so many expectations about this one but it only let me down.. I had loved the first book in the series, Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children & I wanted so much to love this one too but unfortunately the only good thing about this book was the photos, which like in the first book, they blew me away by how real and authentic they look.

This one lacked the magic the first book had, it was kind of idiotic and the author tried to take an even darker turn to the
Jonathan

Hollow City is one of those sequel novels that irons out many of the kinks in the first novel. It further goes to prove that the quality of children's and young adult' fiction is improving all the more in this day and age. Where once such books were throw away pieces to pass the time till younger readers could engage with more serious pieces of literature, today they are or should be recognised as being equally serious and nuanced - with the same level of power as books regarded as more mature.

I
Luke
This novel features a picture of a bulldog smoking a pipe. It was my everything.

If you have forgotten the events of the first entry in this series or read it a long time ago, I'd highly suggest a quick re-read or a glance at the wikipedia synopsis to familiarise yourself with the events from the first book. The reason for this is that the second novel in the 'Miss Peregrine' series picks up directly at the end of the first one, with our bunch of peculiar children heading to the mainland in their
Katie
L. O. V. E. D.

This was even better than Miss Peregrine, IMO. Both the character and world development were intricate and wonderful to read. The peculiars we met before really start to become strong characters of their own, and I love Jacob's development. I would also just love to get my hands on a Map of Days and a few of the other peculiar books mentioned!

My only regret is that I read it so quickly and now have to wait another age for #3...
Melki
"At the heart of nature's mystery lies another mystery."
Perplexus Anomalus

Once upon a peculiar time...

Whew! It took me a while to get into this one because - 1) I read the first book in June 2011 and then basically forgot most of it, and 2)the first seventy-five pages are mostly about the kids being chased by one thing or another.

BUT...

Once they are given a quest - head to London and save every peculiar thing on the planet - things perk up a bit, the magic begins to creep back in, and it turns o
Julie Covington
Well to say I am disappointed would be an understatement. This book had so much potential. The first had a slow build but was full of mystery, intrigue and just all together peculiarness with an ending that screamed more more more. The "Map of Days" was sure to be a central focus of the book as the Peculiar Children started their adventure. Well...and I do not feel this is a spoiler as it happens in the first 5% of the book...but the Map along with 98% of their belongings are lost at sea. So wha ...more
Jessica-Robyn
I'm interested to see where the story goes after the events the first book left us on. Hopefully we'll get to see a lot more character development! 2013 2014 still seems is a long way off.

September 2013: While exploring my library's website I discovered that they had already put out an order for Hollow City. For those interested in getting library copies you may want to check out your library to see if you can get your requests in early. Only four months till the scheduled release date!

June 20
Joost
Wauw, wat een leuk vervolg! Mijn recensie kan je hier lezen: http://nerdygeekyfanboy.com/recensie/...
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

Jacob and the Peculiars may have escaped immediate danger at the end of Book #1, but their adventure is only beginning. Not only will they have to avoid being killed or captured, they also have a limited time in which to save Ms. Peregrine – or else she will never be able to take human form again.

There just aren’t enough words to express how much I loved this book. Thank bird Miss Peregrine’s was popular enough that Riggs was able to c
Sue
The peculiar children have a tremendous task ahead of them as they begin this second episode in Riggs' series (I hope it continues for a while and maintains its quality). They merely must save their world! And Jacob is now truly one of this group. This is not a stand alone story; you really need to read the first book first in order to know what is happening...and I do recommend it.

So...if you enjoy fantasy, had some fun with Harry Potter and miss those wonderful adventures, this might be a nice
Phrynne
I enjoyed this book every bit as much as Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. The photos were outstanding and I really liked the little list of personae at the beginning. The story was paced well and we came to know the individual characters of the peculiar children much better. For most of the read I was thinking how much Ransom Riggs writes like Philip Pullman. It was like being in another episode of His Dark Materials. Nevertheless this is an excellent book in its own right and since ...more
Amy
Can't wait for book number three, this is one of the most original young adult trilogies I have read in a long time!

- This is the second in the Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children trilogy and I loved it! The story picks up exactly where book one left off so I was immediately sucked back into the creepy and exciting world of the Peculiar Children. The children are on a mission to save Miss Peregrine before she is lost to the world forever and this takes them across the country and into London. Alo
Rebecca

This review is also on my blog

Like a lot of people, I was really excited when I heard that Miss Peregrine s Home for Peculiar Children was getting a sequel. I really enjoyed the first book and the combination of vintage photography with the story. Hollow City was a great read for the same reason and I can’t imagine many people being disappointed by the sequel.

It amazed me how quickly I re-familarised myself with the world and its characters. There’s just something so memorable about these books
Denis Vukosav
“Hollow City” by Ransom Riggs is the second novel in the Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children series, a sequel of the one of most innovative releases in recent years that even having children in its name is certainly not a title that will interest (only) children.

Seems a lot longer than two and a half years have passed since the release of the original first part in series, but after reading this sequel all can be said that we are glad the author waited to publish it because its quality is at leas
Lauren Kimberly
ABSOLUTELY AMAZING! The writing style is absolutely flawless and unique! This story is full of plot twists that are so unpredictable. exciting, terrifying, breathtaking it'll leave you begging for more! YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO PUT THE BOOK DOWN! You'll never want it to end, but when it does you'll just be hungry for more! This whole series is an addiction and once you start you CAN NOT stop! Its my FAVORITE book series BY FAR! I couldn't say enough good things about this book! You really just have ...more
O
Hollow City is a sequel to Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. I remember reading Miss Peregrine's Home and loving the entire story.

Spoilers for book one follow below:

In book one we have our main character, Jacob Portman, going to Wales to find out about his grandfather's past and what his last words meant. Jacob finds out about his grandfather's younger days when he lived in an orphanage with other peculiar children. Jacob meets Emma who ends up taking Jacob back to a time loop (1940
Joel
:'(
Jason
I’m vaguely reminded of Gaiman’s Neverwhere. It’s kinda a cool world, but the main character is so very bland and his lady friend is only slightly better. And the book is redeemed by some of the more colorful side characters - here the best one being the invisible nerd Millard who I find very relatable and amusing. Hugh also has a nice moment with his bees, and Horace with his sartorial obsession. Though at least for me only Millard really seems like a person, perhaps because his particular powe ...more
Morgan Walsh
Oct 07, 2012 Morgan Walsh marked it as to-read
A note: Let people who pre-review books with starred ratings be. Rating books before they're published can either be beneficial or detrimental; based off of what the community thinks about a book series and how it can be improved, this knowledge might help an author to create a more-likable story.

Another note: I, too, look forward to the untitled sequel to Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. Waiting eagerly for sequels is always a bit of a pain, but it's usually well worth it when I can
Annamarie
I really this book but not as much as the first book. I thought the plot was a little slower and not as gripping as the first book. I still thought it was a good sequel to a fantastic book. I cannot wait to read the next book in the series.
I received this book as part of a giveaway from goodreads first reads and this is an honest opinion of the book
lauren kellie
Okay so I think I liked Hollow City more than Miss Peregrine's.

In this installment, you get to see a lot more of the Peregrine wards, which I loved. I love these kids a lot. Ransom has done an excellent job developing all their individual quirks and abilities, and they're so lovable and I don't want anything to happen to any of them ever at all andIjustwantEmmaandJacobtobehappyandalsoeveryoneelsetooevenEnochIlovethemsomuchplshelp.

Also, there was a lot more action in this book than there was in t
This weird book!!! 3 29 Jun 16, 2015 08:56PM
When is the third book coming out?? 8 137 Jun 15, 2015 07:46AM
The whole book 6 18 Jun 15, 2015 07:40AM
The Nooks of Books: Hollow City 3 4 Jun 04, 2015 06:37PM
Hollow city 2 16 May 21, 2015 11:52AM
Free Book Giveaway: Win Hollow City by Ransom Riggs! (US/Canada) 2 11 Apr 28, 2015 02:29PM
  • The Shadow Cabinet (Shades of London, #3)
  • The Unbound (The Archived, #2)
  • The Mirk and Midnight Hour
  • Her Dark Curiosity (The Madman's Daughter, #2)
  • Necromancing the Stone (Necromancer, #2)
  • Lair of Dreams (The Diviners, #2)
  • In the Shadows
  • Wildwood Imperium (Wildwood Chronicles, #3)
  • Emergent (Annex , #2)
  • The Cabinet of Curiosities: 36 Tales Brief
  • White Space (Dark Passages, #1)
  • The Nightmare Dilemma (The Arkwell Academy, #2)
  • Teacher's Pest (Tales from Lovecraft Middle School #3)
  • The Song of the Quarkbeast (The Chronicles of Kazam, #2)
  • Gasp (Visions, #3)
  • Ruin and Rising (The Grisha, #3)
  • Midwinterblood
  • Stand-Off (Winger, #2)
I grew up in Florida, went to Kenyon College in Ohio, then film school at USC in LA, where I still live. I write books and screenplays, blog daily for mentalfloss.com, and make short films.

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children is my first novel. I'm really excited about it -- it was challenging and rewarding and I hope people like it. If you read that and like the found photographs in it, y
More about Ransom Riggs...

Miss Peregrine’s Peculiar Children (3 books)
  • Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children (Miss Peregrine’s Peculiar Children, #1)
  • Library of Souls (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, #3)
Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children (Miss Peregrine’s Peculiar Children, #1) Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children: The Graphic Novel Talking Pictures: Images and Messages Rescued from the Past The Sherlock Holmes Handbook Library of Souls (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, #3)

“Strange, I thought, how you can be living your dreams and your nightmares at the very same time.” 153 likes
“Laughing doesn’t make bad things worse any more than crying makes them better.” 134 likes