Start by marking “The Chalet School in the Oberland (The Chalet School, #30)” as Want to Read:
The Chalet School in the Oberland (The Chalet School, #30)

The Chalet School in the Oberland (The Chalet School #26)

4.09  ·  Rating Details  ·  129 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
A finishing branch of the Chalet School is opened in the Oberland headed by Miss Wilson with a supporting cast of Mlle Berne, Miss Nalder, Matron, new staff member Miss Norton and former 'much loved' head girl Gillian Culver as secretary. The pupils are drawn from the Chalet School in England, Red Gables, Dulverley High and Branscombe Park.
Published 2011 by Armada (first published 1952)

To ask other readers questions about The Chalet School in the Oberland, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Chalet School in the Oberland

LH Johnson
Coming back to the Chalet School after some time away is the most comforting of things. Whilst my books have been in storage, I've been relying on public libraries and second hand bookshops and the odd, hysteria-inducing car boot sale ("Quick, they've got a hardback copy of Princess! You chat to him nonchalantly whilst I pretend to look calm!").

But lo, now my books are out of storage, and I have been reunited with them, it is time to begin the great 'let's read the titles I've forgotten about'
Deborah
Jan 04, 2014 Deborah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Actually mine's a hardback copy and quite possibly a first edition - so Elma and her friends are smoking as well as playing cards on a Sunday!

This version of the autumn term, covered on the island by 'Shocks', is all about the new 'finishing' branch of the Chalet School, in Switzerland. An old girl has been left a chalet by her aunt (Frieda, perhaps? Wasn't it her aunt in Switzerland that they escaped to in 'Exile'?). Rather than use this as a holiday home, or sell it, the old girl gives it to t
Sally
Feb 07, 2012 Sally rated it liked it
Recommended to Sally by: Sängerin
I had to read this after Shawne and I were discussing the Chalet School on Saturday! Now there's only one official CS book left for me to read - though a fair few are in need of a re-read.

I can't say that I loved it as much as I have some of the others. I liked the set-up and the idea, the beginnings of the finishing branch of the school in the Swiss Oberland, but the book itself just wasn't as awesome. Too many new and unfamiliar faces! Sure there was Peggy Bettany and a couple of others hoveri
Sarah Adamson
Jun 07, 2015 Sarah Adamson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, ya
This is a very different Chalet book!!
This book features the students during their first year on the Oberland. Miss Wilson and some of the less well known Chalet staff are setting up the finishing branch in Switzerland. There are some well known students including Peggy Bettany and Dickie Christie. However the book allows for great focus on new students adapting to the chalet beliefs whilst already being well developed young ladies.
Discussions on smoking, the use of make up and boys are all br
Mar 21, 2010 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is set concurrently with the previous book in the series, Shocks in the Chalet School.

The Chalet School is opening a new "finishing" branch in the Oberland (Swiss Alps), so that girls can spend their last year or two in a foreign country, and learn a bit more about culture, and other things that are not taught in a normal school.

Peggy Bettany and her friends are the first batch in the new Chalet School, and they need to carry on the traditions of their previous school. Midway through
Sue
Sep 18, 2012 Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Chalet School opens a sixth-form 'finishing school' in Switzerland. A mixture of 38 girls from various schools begin the term together, headed by Miss Wilson and one or two other familiar faces from the series.

Gradually the girls learn to work and play together. There are some old favourite characters, including Peggy Bettany who goes through a very difficult period. There are also some new folk, some of whom struggle with the Chalet School ethos until a crisis happens. This book is a little
KarenV
Feb 01, 2010 KarenV rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school-stories, 2010
I was so glad to snag this off Ebay recently - it's one of the few that I don't/didn't own and I really wanted it to fill the gap in my collection. The emphasis was slightly different to the regular series, as it concentrates on the new finishing branch of the school, so the set up is slightly different, but with many familiar characters. I was also pleased to have some of the storylines from other books fleshed out and as usual, it was a fast, nostalgic and enjoyable read.
Susan
At least the 3rd re-read. I never tire of these books.
Donna Boultwood
Jul 02, 2015 Donna Boultwood rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was great to read about the chalet school finally back in the Alps and to read more adult issues too. Loved Miss Wilson's line about not yet liking men in that way! Good old Elma and Edna came around in the end.
Heather
Heather rated it it was amazing
May 27, 2016
Nicola
Nicola rated it really liked it
May 21, 2016
Nicola
Nicola marked it as to-read
May 14, 2016
Cassidy Mallett
Cassidy Mallett marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
Emma Kellogg
Emma Kellogg marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Heather Ong
Heather Ong marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
Lise
Lise marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Awesome Momi
Awesome Momi rated it it was amazing
Apr 19, 2016
Catherine Wright
Catherine Wright rated it it was ok
Apr 14, 2016
Lisa Raynor
Lisa Raynor rated it it was amazing
Mar 20, 2016
Jessica Hilton
Jessica Hilton marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2016
Jay Vaux
Jay Vaux rated it it was amazing
Feb 27, 2016
Zoe
Zoe marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Prue
Prue marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
Karen
Karen rated it it was ok
Jan 17, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • End of Term (The Marlows, #4)
  • First Term at Trebizon (Trebizon, #1)
  • In the High Valley (Carr Family, #5)
  • Silver Brumbies of the South
  • Alice-Miranda on Holiday
  • The Glass Bird Girl
  • A Dream of Sadler's Wells (Sadler's Wells, #1)
  • The Whitby Witches (The Whitby Witches, #1)
  • Kidnap in the Caribbean (Laura Marlin Mysteries, #2)
  • Girl With a White Dog
  • Cherry Cake and Ginger Beer: A Golden Treasury of Classic Treats
  • Family Reunion
  • Nevermore
  • My Brother Is A Superhero (My Brother is a Superhero, #1)
  • Slog's Dad
  • The Exiles at Home (The Exiles, #2)
  • Beswitched
  • Party Shoes (Shoes, #5)
21978
Elinor M. Brent-Dyer was born as Gladys Eleanor May Dyer on 6th April 1894, in South Shields in the industrial northeast of England, and grew up in a terraced house which had no garden or inside toilet. She was the only daughter of Eleanor Watson Rutherford and Charles Morris Brent Dyer. Her father, who had been married before, left home when she was three years old. In 1912, her brother Henzell d ...more
More about Elinor M. Brent-Dyer...

The Chalet School (1 - 10 of 58 books)
  • The School at the Chalet (The Chalet School, #1)
  • Jo of the Chalet School (The Chalet School, #2)
  • The Princess of the Chalet School (The Chalet School, #3)
  • The Head Girl of the Chalet School (The Chalet School, #4)
  • Rivals of the Chalet School (The Chalet School, #5)
  • Eustacia Goes to the Chalet School (The Chalet School, #6)
  • The Chalet School and Jo (The Chalet School, #7)
  • The Chalet Girls in Camp (The Chalet School, #8)
  • Exploits of the Chalet Girls (The Chalet School, #9)
  • The Chalet School and the Lintons (The Chalet School, #10)