Start by marking “Talon of the Unnamed Goddess” as Want to Read:
Talon of the Unnamed Goddess

Talon of the Unnamed Goddess

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  206 ratings  ·  42 reviews
Aisha is the newest Talon of the Raptor Clan, mercenaries prized by rulers, nobles, and the wealthy as elite bodyguards. Her skill with a blade and her magical rune have won her a prized place as a Talon, but she wins her fights through wits as much as her skill. Guarding a spoiled young princess is Aisha's first assignment for the clan. Surrounded by dangerous plots, keep ...more
Paperback, 2nd edition, 234 pages
Published June 20th 2011 by CreateSpace (first published July 24th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Talon of the Unnamed Goddess, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Talon of the Unnamed Goddess

Alicia
I give the content four stars. I enjoyed this book immensely. In fact, I spent most of my Saturday reading it, which is saying a lot because I generally have a very short attention span. There was a lot to like about it: a beautiful and original fantasy world, a great main character, and a solid plot. But I'd like to detract half a star for the typos. I'm not saying they were on every page. But I accept a maximum of three typos per book without being annoyed; this one had more like thirty.

In the
Quentin Stewart
The story of Aisha a young women newly graduated to Talon in the Raptor Clan. The Raptors perform body guarding services for those who contract with them to do so. After graduation Aisha is to guard undercover, as a chaperon, one Rhiannon who has through the death of her mother and brother become the sole heir to the throne. After thwarting one attempt in the castle and saving Rhiannon's life in an attack on father's traveling camp Aisha finds herself alone with her charge searching for help.

The
J L R Webbie
Talon of the Unnamed Goddess by J.R.Tomlin and C.R Daems is a fantasy adventure story about Aisha, a young woman who has just completed her training to become an elite warrior of the Raptor Clan. Political assassination, prejudice, friendship, and love are just a few of the obstacles Aisha must face. An excellent tactician, Aisha must help a teenage girl, Rihannon, reclaim the throne of her father after a usurper murdered the rest of her family, an alliance through marriage with an honorable ne ...more
Maxine
Aisha is the newest Talon of the raptor Clan. She is not the strongest or the fastest but she has learned to use her wits to make up for this. Her first assignment is to protect Rhiannon, princess and heir to the throne. Aisha manages to avert several assassination attempts but can she win a war?

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and that has a lot to do with Aisha and her charge, Rhiannon. These are two very strong, independent women, capable of making important decisions on their own, a nice chang
Tammy Ramey
i greatly enjoyed the heroine of the book and that she was an independant and smart women. all of
the characters were intriguing and full of depth and vitallity. it was very easy to become emotionally connected to each of the characters and to empathize with them and what they were going through.i was a joy to watch them grow and change and become the people they wanted to be. if you love a book that makes you feel laughter,sadness, angry and all of the other emtions it is that we feel as people
SuperHeroQwimm
*I received this for free from Goodreads First Reads*

I found this book EXTREMELY to my liking. The main character is a strong female skilled in the ways of war/fighting/etc and she was awesome. This book isn't predictable, but everything I wanted to happen happened, there was no "why the heck did that have to happen?!" moments =) I felt it was a fast paced book and the author didnt dwell in one area too long. It grabs your attention quickly because action starts happening almost immediately.
Sabrina Queen
I liked this book and the beginning really impressed me. Unfortunately it was a little hard for me to finish. And the love component of this novel...yeah...I could have lived without it. I felt like the author thought a love story had to be thrown in there and just quickly added it in. It was way too rushed and that made it so unbelievable to me.
Muhammad Gibran
Don't think, just read....

that gonna be my advice to whoever read this book. If for one sec you think and analyze this book you're gonna be disappointed. there are many hole in the plot and character.

If you are looking for light reading in 4-5 hours journey maybe you can read this book.
AngryMab
I received this book as a goodreads giveaway.
I have mixed feelings. For me it was just ok. I felt the names of places and characters a little tedious. So it was just difficult for me to maintain the picture in my mind. I would give the sequel a shot if there is one.
Kel (Bookworm)
Amazing, epic adventure. Very captivating and hard to put down. A very gripping tale of honor. I loved it!!
Martin
The first half of the book was excellent. Aisha's origin story as a Talon and the time when she served as a bodyguard for the princess was mostly well written and developed - although she is kind of a wunderkind (view spoiler)
The second part of the book felt like the author had lost her focus. It was less well developed and partially confusing (e.g. Where did this third faction in the war suddenly come from?).
Aisha's role as
Alexis
So this story is about Aisha Talon. She is a new Talon which are a type of warrior/assassin and they get some kind of power/magic kind of in the form of sigils. Well Aisha doesn't receive one of them but instead can make any type of sigil not work. We follow Aisha as she graduates the Aerie and gets her first assignment as a bodyguard/chaperon to Rhiannon the heir to a throne.
As the story continues we follow the growth of both Rhiannon as she becomes a young ruler and the growth of Aisha as a Ta
Tiffany
Another book I'd recommend. I wasn't expecting to like it as much as I did, but it is the type of book a would read again in a few months. The kindle price is only $2.99 and if you are a prime member you can get it free.

Likes:
1 - Aisha. Very good character. I really enjoyed how she was developed and how her relationship evolved with Rhiannon. She was the tough, incredibly intelligent, but still an imperfect character. Exactly what I always hope for in a book like this.
2 - It's odd for me to say
Jojo
Aisha recently graduated and became a full-fledged Talon (an assassin/mercenary). Her first assignment is to protect a spoiled princess from assassination attempts. However, the princess has to grow up quickly if she wants to save her kingdom from usurpers. Aisha is talented but she can only do so much...

I really enjoyed this book in the beginning. There was plenty of action and intrigue. Since Aisha isn't the strongest or the fastest, she makes up for it by exploiting the enemy's weakness.I lik
Avry15
originally appeared on:Bookshelf Confessions

*I won a free copy of this e-book in a LibraryThing Member Giveaway*

Alisha is the newest Talon of the Raptor Clan, mercenaries prized by rulers, nobles, and the wealthy as elite bodyguards. Like all Talons, she survived five Ordeals and ten years of grueling training.

Alisha is not the strongest mercenary in the Raptor Clan, but she is the craftiest. Only tricking her opponents into underestimating her got her through the long years of Clan training. Th
Tim
I thought this was a great novel. It was full of action and the plot was well crafted and intriguing enough to keep readers engaged and invested in the story.

This is the story of a young girl who joins a warrior clan after she is orphaned. She basically grows up on the training grounds for the clan; she uses her mind to overcome any physical shortcomings she may have in the challenges she faces. While she has learned the physical aspects of being a Talon, she also develops her mind to help her.
zjakkelien
I rather liked 'Talon of the unnamed Goddess'. It has the type of story I like, about a woman in a men's world (that of a Talon: a bodyguard and warrior). Clearly she’s at a disadvantage, but she also has two advantages: she thinks things through more than her fellow warriors (and her enemies), and she gets chosen by the unnamed goddess. Using those characteristics allows her to protect her charge when her kingdom is taken over by her neighbour. This book is an easy read and definitely has poten ...more
Rachael Woohoo
Please stare at this GIF for a perfectly realistic representation of how I looked when I was reading this book:

In case you're wondering, I do awkwardly smile as I enjoy a book...

Moving on.

I definitely enjoyed this book. If you look at most of my negative reviews I either complain about stupid heroines or heroes, or too much romance for my taste. Talon of the Unnamed Goddess had none of that. Aisha was a no-nonsense heroine who will literally (and quite seriously and mercilessly) kill you if you
Douglas Cook
Nicely written fantasy with good characters who change across the novel. Female main character.

First paragraphs
CHAPTER ONE
I knelt on the hardwood floor with the other five remaining members of my seventh year aerie. We waited for Master Jiang to speak. He was a thin man, average height with long gray hair and goatee, and the piercing gaze of a deadly bird of prey. I froze when his eyes settled on me for a moment. "You six are what remain of the one hundred and four candidates we admitted seven
Elizabeth
Aisha finishes her training and joins the Raptor Clan of Talons, a group of highly trained mercenaries used by the wealthy, rulers and nobles as body guards. Aisha's first assignment is to be the body guard and chaperone of pri'Rhiannon, the daughter of Hi'Lord Varius who's kingdom is under threat. The hi'Lord with Rhiannon and entourage set of to sign an alliance with another kingdom but are attacked on the way, Aisha and Rhiannon escape with their lives which is more than can be said for the r ...more
Kara
A fun fantasy adventure

This fast-paced and fun adventure has a strong heroine and an interesting world. Its only drawback is that it is awfully long-winded in places. I would have enjoyed it more if many of the discussions had been trimmed and summarized.

Overall, though, this is a tale that people who like ninjas, wars, and strong female heroes should check out.
Sharon Michael
Well crafted fantasy with predictable storyline with some interesting twists that kept it individual. Very good characterization, my type of main character, although at times she seemed a little mature for her stated age, despite the training that molded her. I think she might have worked even better as an older woman in some ways.

The romance line seemed a bit forced and extraneous but perhaps made it more interesting for some readers. I found the actual battle scenes a little lacking in effect
Melvin Patterson
Excellent fantasy. Engaging and fun to read. The authors meld an interesting young protagonist with deadly martial arts and an intriguing story for a great read.
Ronda Blanke geiger
This was a very good read. I enjoyed the story line and the characters. I would recommend for anyone.
Elizabeth
High adventure and lots of action make for an enjoyable read and I don't normally like war stories. Aisha Talon, one a few warriors of the Raptor Clan has fought most her life for the honor of being a clan member. Her first mission is as a body guard for the highest lords daughter after the rest of his family has been killed. Aishe and her ward Rhiannon have to run for their lives as Aishe's talents are put to the test. Nice story with strong female heros. Not a bad way to spend an afternoon in ...more
David Teachout
A wonderful female character, strong and intelligent yet still well-rounded and capable of feeling. The rest of the characters are less full and serve often to simply move the plot forward for the purposes of showcasing how amazing the central character is. Add in numerous phrases repeated ad nauseum, a plot that doesn't require much in the way of difficulty to overcome and what's left is a simple story that could have been a whole lot more. Still fun to read though.
Tona
Alisha has relied on her wits and the ability to out think her opponents. This is what has made her one of the best Talon of the Raptor Clan. They have been her family since her real family was murdered or imprisoned.

Along with her gift from the Unnamed Goddess she will fight for her Friends and Clan.

Two strong women are the main characters which make for an exciting read.
Jenna
This book probably deserves a 3-star review because the tone felt a bit juvenile. I almost didn't want to continue reading by page 75. However, I'm genuinely glad I did. It was entertaining, held my attention, and I enjoyed what they (the authors) were attempting to do with it. It was a nice light read, with good lessons throughout. So, four stars from me.
Dbaxleydance
I really enjoyed this book. It grabbed my attention and I couldn't put it down. It was well written, elaborate, and fanciful. The heroine, Aisha, was wonderful. Strong, yet humble. Brave, yet careful. And oh, so clever. I hope there will be another with either her, or someone like her. Keep writing these.....I will keep reading!
Rebecca
Overall I really liked this book. It did have some wrong word issues and awkwardness, so would benefit from a little more polishing.

I also caught one minor plot flaw (Anton Talon knows more about her time as body guard than he should, since he wasn't there). But the story's quality outweighs the small flaws.
  • Scriber
  • The Mirror & The Meretrix
  • The Shadow Ryana (Shadow Sister, #1)
  • First Chosen (Tears of Rage, #1)
  • Druid's Bane (The Arkaelyon Chronicles, #1)
  • Wolverine's Daughter
  • The Girls From Alcyone (The Girls from Alcyone #1)
  • To Play the Lady
  • Protector (Anniversary of the Veil, Book 1)
  • Embers (The Guild of the Cowry Catchers, #1)
  • The Black God's War (Splendor and Ruin, #1)
  • Raven's Heart: A Tale from the World of Secramore
  • Tangi's Teardrops: A Single Tear Will Change Everything...
  • In the House of Five Dragons
  • Into The Woods
  • Frozen Prospects (The Guadel Chronicles, #1)
  • The Burning Sky (Halcyon #1)
  • Ninth Crossing: Discovery
J. R. Tomlin is the author of four historical novels: Freedom's Sword, A Kingdom's Cost, Countenance of War, and Not for Glory. She has also coauthored several fantasies with C. R. Daems: Blood Duty, Talon of the Unnamed Goddess, The Shadow Ryana, and Women of Power.

She has close ties with Scotland since her father was a native Scot, and she spent substantial time in Edinburgh whilst growing up.
More about J.R. Tomlin...
A Kingdom's Cost (The Douglas Trilogy, #1) Freedom's Sword Countenance of War (The Douglas Trilogy, #2) Scales Of Justice Blood Duty