Start by marking “Undeadly (The Reaper Diaries, #1)” as Want to Read:
Undeadly (The Reaper Diaries, #1)

Read Excerpt

Undeadly (The Reaper Diaries #1)

3.65  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,598 Ratings  ·  386 Reviews
The day I turned 16, my boyfriend-to-be died. I brought him back to life. Then things got a little weird...

Molly Bartolucci wants to blend in, date hottie Rick and keep her zombie-raising abilities on the down-low. Then the god Anubis chooses her to become a reaper—and she accidentally undoes the work of another reaper, Rath. Within days, she's shipped off to the Nekyia Ac
Published November 20th 2012 by Harlequin Teen (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Undeadly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Undeadly

Cinder by Marissa MeyerThe Selection by Kiera CassUnder the Never Sky by Veronica RossiThrone of Glass by Sarah J. MaasEverneath by Brodi Ashton
2012 Debut Authors (Young Adult & Middle Grade)
54th out of 1,016 books — 6,414 voters
YA Novels of 2012
142nd out of 1,327 books — 10,641 voters

More lists with this book...

Kat (Lost in Neverland)
Dec 15, 2012 Kat (Lost in Neverland) marked it as i-ll-get-back-to-sometime
UPDATE 2-6-12

WHAT!!?!? The original publication was supposed to be released FEBRUARY 28TH and now, they moved it to NOVEMBER 20TH?!?!?!

First, I was like;

Then I was:

description

Then I was just pissed off.

description

And then I followed it with depression.

description

UPDATE: 10/16/12 IT'S ON NETGALLEY, EVERYONE!!
AND I GOT APPROVED!

description

THANK YOU, HARLEQUIN TEEN!!
Meoshi yui
Nov 27, 2011 Meoshi yui marked it as to-read
I hate it when you read a book summary and want to read it so badly only to realize that it's not even out yet!

So frustrating!
Giselle
Nov 14, 2012 Giselle rated it it was ok
Shelves: ebook, arc, zombies
You know me and my love of zombies. I couldn't resist this any more than I can resist chocolate. But unlike chocolate, Undeadly left quite the sour taste in my mouth. Not right from the beginning, where I actually found myself amused by the sarcastic personality of our protagonist, but about half way through I started to get annoyed by things I could previously ignore, or irritated by our main character who I realized is not very... smart.

You will notice right away that Molly has quite the sense
Michele Vail
Aug 16, 2012 Michele Vail rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Recommends it for: everyone who loves reapers, zombies, and YA fiction.
Recommended to Michele by: Um ... I guess I recommended it to myself.
I wrote UNDEADLY, so I may have a slight (meaning: overwhelming) prejudice regarding the novel's awesomeness. If an author doesn't think her work is worth reading, then it certainly shouldn't be worth writing. And UNDEADLY was worth writing. I love creating this world and these characters, and I especially loved the use of Egyptian mythology as the foundation for how and why Molly's world works.

I would love to talk to you all about UNDEADLY and teen reaper Molly Bartolucci any time! Below are l
Steph Sinclair
Oct 17, 2012 Steph Sinclair marked it as due-to-reviews-lost-interest

The blurb for this book reminds me of The House of Night series. That's not a good thing. :/
Nemo (Young Adult At Heart)
I was realy looking forward to this. This is what I wrote on my STS post when I requested it from Netgalley:

"It sounded cool! A teenage reaper. Awesome. And a boarding school story? I like those as well."

But I just can't do it. When the second paragraph reads like this:

Rick's lips ghosted across mine. He angled his mouth against mine and I opened for him. My eyes fluttered closed. Tentative, I met his kiss and felt electrified. I clung to him, completely unsure about what I was doing.

I just can'
Tanja Voosen
WUTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Was hab ich da gelesen?! :O

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ich sehe. Aha. Ja. Die nächste Läster-Rezi steht in den Startlöchern.

Himmel Herr Gott noch mal!

Das ist nicht alles wirklich passiert.

Ich muss das geträumt haben. Genau!

EDIT - Rezension:

Leah
Jan 30, 2012 Leah marked it as to-read
this reminds me of the vampire diaries. Get it? ' The Reaper Diaries, The Vampire Diaries'?
Suzanne
Feb 01, 2013 Suzanne rated it really liked it
Shelves: reapers
I've read a lot of mixed reviews of this book, most of the negative ones seemed to have a similar quarrel, Molly. So, needless to say, I went into this with extremely low expectations. And lo and behold, I really enjoyed it.

Molly is a reaper in training, and even with making the mistake of bringing her "almost" boyfriend back to life missing some of his soul, she's still picked out by Anubis to be given special powers and sent to Nekyia Academy, where she can train to be Anubis' champion.

I did l
~Tina~
Undeadly has an interesting concept. Necromancy and zombies isn't exactly my favorite genre, but I liked some of the ideas that Vail brought into this story.

But sadly I felt that the plot and it's characters were overly hyper, overly quirky and all over the place. I had a hard time connecting to our main character, Molly and while the writing is decent I struggled with the pacing and flow.

Not for me.

(Arc provided by Netgalley and Harlequin Teen)

Katy
Nov 18, 2012 Katy rated it it was ok
Undeadly had potential to be an intriguing story about necromancy, but the plot wasn’t very interesting, and I couldn’t connect with the characters, so I couldn’t really get into the book no matter how hard I tried.

First of all, Molly was a super annoying character, and she really hit you hard in the first several pages with her diary entry. Wow, oh, wow. For those, who just couldn’t stand it, like me, hang in there because I promise the rest of the book won’t be like that. Don’t get me wrong,
Charlotte
Nov 13, 2011 Charlotte marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2012-releases
I seriously love anything with Anubis, or Ancient Egyptian culture.
Faye, la Patata
First and foremost, I love zombies. In 2012 alone, I've spent the first 4-5 months reading zombie novels only. Most of them weren't in the YA genre though, so I've been on a mission ever since to look for awesome YA novels (although I really doubt any could live up to Charlie Higson's The Enemy series). So just imagine my pleasant surprise when I saw this novel on NetGalley! Unfortunately, it didn't really live up to my rather high expectations. Even my love of zombies did not save this book.

Ann
Addie R.
Originally posted on Bookworm Recommendations

-----

I had some really high expectations for Undeadly. I wasn’t even entirely sure what the book as about but I was still excited. I mean, reapers AND zombies? Does that not sound awesome enough? Unfortunately, Undeadly ended up disappointing me. I’m honestly not sure whether to give it a 2.5, 2.7, 3, or what. I just had so many mixed feelings throughout reading.

One of the main problems I had with Undeadly was our MC, Molly. Molly was supposed to be s
Emma
Apr 14, 2016 Emma rated it liked it
I read Undeadly a few years ago and totally forgot to review (oooppppsss). Undeadly is one of the books I constantly refer to in library lessons when we cover our Zombie Reading Theme (yes, I know cool right?). Undeadly shows the depicition of zombies as they would appear using magical abilities to return the dead to the world of the living. However, all actions have consequences as we soon discover.

The use of Egyptian mythology provided a unique basis for the story and the characters were compe
Llana
Mar 30, 2013 Llana rated it did not like it
The book itself is ok until you realize the MC is a complete idiot.After all when a !reaper! tells you that bringing someone back to life will have consequences and all you can think of is that they're "jealous"of your super-duper speshul powers it does not show great judgement on your part.And it got worse from then on.
Jacquelyn
I have to say, this book was basically a half-hearted rendition of the House of Night series. (Jacquelyn, you say, you're always slamming book reviews that compare books to other books. Aren't you being a hypocrite? The answer is - in my opinion - no. The book reviews I always judge are the ones that compare one little aspect of the book to that of another book - usually one that's more popular - and call the book unoriginal because of it. In this case, this book was pretty much the same thing w ...more
Tee loves Kyle Jacobson
HOLY ANUBIS! HOLY NECROMANCERS! HOLY ZOMBIES!

Undeadly is the first book set in this trilogy and what a bang it was. I can't stress to you enough what a great read this was for me. It had everything in it from Necromancers, Zombies, and Gods. What more could be in one book and set the record high this book did. Man when I started reading it I was hooked right from page one. I really loved how the author built this world up.

All Molly wants to do is blend in at school. She does not want to be popul
Nov 12, 2012 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Giveaway (US) http://somelikeitparanormall.blogspot...

Molly's world was incredibly different than I expected going into this book. It is all about ancient Egyptian mythology. Zombies, ghouls, and different powers are all out to the world. Molly's dad even owns a zombie making business! Everyone also worships Anubis. He visits Molly in her dream and asks her to complete a mission for him. She does what anyone would do faced with a god, agrees to whatever he wants even though she would rather be j
Books
Dec 23, 2012 Books rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed, netgalley
Who knew reading about Egyptian mythology, reapers, necromancy, ghosts, and zombies could be so much fun! Well, heck, if you haven’t read debut author Michele Vail’s butt-kicking new series, The Reaper Diaries, yet, you wouldn’t know, now would you? Not to be confused with The Vampire Diaries. No, no, no, this is a new kind of awesomeness all on its own. But let me assure you, this is the first book in a splendid new series you don’t want to miss out on. It’s way better than its blurb promises i ...more
Crystal
Nov 13, 2012 Crystal rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
Undeadly is another book where I think the sequel will be stronger than the first one. Michelle Veil has created a very unique spin on the whole idea of reapers and that spin is what kept me glued to the pages. I am still really new to the whole reaper world but I have to say that I am very impressed with the Lore that has been woven into this story. The gods that are used make for a very interesting twist and I am very curious how it will play out.

Undeadly is your basic boarding school, new gir
Heidi
Nov 13, 2012 Heidi rated it liked it
Three Stars: A book rich in Egyptian lore and mythology.

Molly is attempting to make it through another boring day at work. She works for her father at his business that specializes in creating zombies. When one of the client's mistreated zombies tries to eat her, she decides to call it a day! Luckily on her way home, the hot football player with whom she has been flirting offers her a ride. She invites Rick inside and they are on the verge of lip lock when her dad bursts in and interrupts them.
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Harlequin TEEN and Netgalley.)
16-year-old Molly is a necromancer. She brings dead people back to life by turning them into zombies! The zombie’s owner must then care for them. They can do menial jobs, but they are stupid, and you must keep them well-fed with Ghoul-aid, or they will eat you.

At Molly’s 16th birthday party, a strange man turns up who only she can see. He gives her some cryptic clues about
Shelley
Nov 20, 2012 Shelley rated it liked it
*Genre* Young Adult
*Rating* 3.0

*Review*

“Within the girl dwells the warrior the world needs. She will service the gods faithfully, and through her, Anubis will defeat evil.”

16 year old Molly Bartolucci is known as a Ka Heka necromancer. She is able to reanimate dead bodies using part of the soul called Ka. She works for her father’s business called Big Al's Zomporium creating zombies for wealthy individuals who just can’t seem to let go of their deceased. Yet, the one thing that drives her is the
Katie_la_geek
Dec 13, 2012 Katie_la_geek rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, ebook-arc
For this review and more visit my blog

Undeadly was packed full of potential, the idea is awesome and refreshing, the storyline good and entertaining but it just lacked something.

As I said, I really liked the idea. This is the first time I have read a book about zombies, necromancers, Egyptian mythology and high school. It was very new and the way it played out was very interesting.

I also liked Rath, he is a male character I can easily get behind and I wished there was more of him, hopefully th
Amy Softa
Aug 14, 2012 Amy Softa rated it really liked it
I received an advanced copy of this book to read, not knowing beforehand what it was about. This is only the second book with a zombie paranormal storyline that I have read. The first one was alright, I really do prefer my vamps, but this one was great! The book is definitely YA and the language and sarcasm is geared towards that market, but don't let that stop you you closet YA reading adults out there. This book is highly enjoyable and has plenty of twists, romance, and action in it for all lo ...more
My
Aug 14, 2012 My rated it really liked it
A new offering from an already established and much-loved author. I have read her books for adults, but this one is aimed at the Young Adults market. It should do very well, as it mixes wit, mystery, love and fantasy, and deals with the feelings of finding one's feet at what can be a very difficult age. It's a book which is hard to put down once you've started it - in this respect it perfectly matches the author's previous books.
The writing is a bit different, as it is aimed at a younger audienc
Lex
Jun 07, 2016 Lex marked it as dnf
I just really don't want to waste my time with this anymore.
Sarah Costa
Sep 04, 2012 Sarah Costa rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Sarah by: tylers-mommie@comcast.net
I really liked it, really not just for teens, I started and could'nt put it down, I really want to say more, but then I would give it away, I am almost 44 and I got sucked in, enjoy it, I did
Calembour
Dec 12, 2011 Calembour marked it as to-read
Okay, this book sounds kind of cliché, especially with the whole boarding school thing, buy it also sounds freaking cool. I can't wait.
YA & TEENS BOOKTALK: Undeadly ( The reapers diaries) by Michele Vail 1 4 Jan 02, 2013 01:13PM
South African Boo...: Undeadly (No Spoilers) 4 12 Dec 19, 2012 10:55AM
South African Boo...: Undeadly (Spoilers) 2 14 Dec 07, 2012 12:00PM
  • Luminosity (The Raven Chronicles, #1)
  • ExtraNormal (ExtraNormal, #1)
  • Silver (Bandia, #1)
  • Velveteen
  • Elemental (Auri, #1)
  • Destiny's Fire (Kythan Guardians)
  • Blood Born (Blood Prophecy, #1)
  • Dark Companion
  • After Dark (The 19th Year, #1)
  • Touching the Surface
  • Auracle
  • Touched (Sense Thieves, #1)
  • Innocent Darkness (The Aether Chronicles, #1)
  • The Treachery of Beautiful Things
  • Taste
  • Halflings (Halflings, #1)
  • When the Sea Is Rising Red (Hobverse #1)
  • A Witch in Winter (Winter Trilogy, #1)
Michele Vail writes young adult paranormal fiction about zombies and reapers.

She likes reading, dogs, cats, board games, ghost-hunting shows, and Halloween. She believes in magic, in the impossible, and in the restorative powers of chocolate.

Michele lives happily-ever-after with her Viking and their family.
More about Michele Vail...

The Reaper Diaries (3 books)
  • Unchosen (The Reaper Diaries, #2)
  • Unbroken (The Reaper Diaries, #3)