Start by marking “Zoopolis: A Political Theory of Animal Rights” as Want to Read:
Zoopolis: A Political Theory of Animal Rights

Zoopolis: A Political Theory of Animal Rights

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  35 ratings  ·  7 reviews
For many people animal rights suggests campaigns against factory farms, vivisection or other aspects of our woeful treatment of animals. Zoopolis moves beyond this familiar terrain, focusing not on what we must stop doing to animals, but on how we can establish positive and just relationships with different types of animals.
Published December 17th 2011 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published November 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Zoopolis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zoopolis

Anna (the anonanimal)
I had the pleasure of seeing Will Kymlicka speak this past summer (2012). He set me on fire with his passion and conviction and at that point getting my hands on Zoopolis ceased to be a choice.

The primary premise laid out this text is: The animal welfare movement has gone horribly awry. It has been radically marginalized and has failed to make any meaningful progress towards achieving its goals.

The question then is as follows: What has gone wrong? Why is animal advocacy so ineffective, and wha
Sergei Moska
This book is a contribution to the animal rights literature, and is aimed at people who are already invested in that field. This doesn't mean that the book is hard to read. Donaldson and Kymlicka are wonderful authors, and this book is extremely easy to read even though it contains some quite nuanced arguments. It means that if you're a normal person who is never really thought about animal rights, this book probably won't convince you to go vegan and get on board the animal rights bandwagon.

Alt
Joshua Duffy
Oct 16, 2014 Joshua Duffy rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Joshua by: Tony Couture
Shelves: nonhumans
Very unique in the Animal Rights literature. This book presents a political theory of animal rights, arguing that the concepts of citizenship (for domesticated animals), denizenship (for liminal animals), and sovereignty (for wild animals), be ascribed to the animals we share our communities, etc., with. Upon rereading this one, I enjoyed it far less. The theory laid out at the beginning is fantastic, but when he gets into ascribing citizenship status to domestic animals, I think his analogy fal ...more
Pier-andré Doyon
A masterpiece that redefine the basis of animal right theory. Kymlicka is a great scholar that draw interesting parallels between animal studies and other political fields to build his theory.
Kim Stallwood
Jul 16, 2012 Kim Stallwood is currently reading it
Great book, which I'm currently reading. Fascinating ideas about how to advance moral and political status of animals.
Michelle
Well written but very dense. Quite creative in their application of political theory to animal rights.
Matthew
A very compelling argument for a revaluation of animals... a little 'out there' in a few parts.
Jana
Jana marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
Pierre-Etienne Beaulieu
Pierre-Etienne Beaulieu marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Grant
Grant marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2015
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2015
Anniina
Anniina marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2015
Christian Richter
Christian Richter marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2015
Kiranb
Kiranb marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2015
PauleenB
PauleenB marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
Jocelyn
Jocelyn is currently reading it
Jun 17, 2015
Michael Goldberg
Michael Goldberg is currently reading it
Jun 13, 2015
Linda
Linda added it
Jun 12, 2015
Brinja Urbanski
Brinja Urbanski marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
Hope Ferdowsian
Hope Ferdowsian is currently reading it
Jun 09, 2015
Erika Hernandez
Erika Hernandez marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2015
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2015
Mylène Brunet
Mylène Brunet marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2015
Danu Poyner
Danu Poyner marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
New Atlantis
New Atlantis marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
Simon
Simon marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
Laura marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Foods That Don't Bite Back: Vegan Cooking Made Simple Gcse In Leisure & Tourism: Double Award