Start by marking “Days of Splendor, Days of Sorrow (Marie Antoinette, #2)” as Want to Read:
Days of Splendor, Days of Sorrow (Marie Antoinette, #2)

Days of Splendor, Days of Sorrow (Marie Antoinette #2)

3.79  ·  Rating Details ·  1,439 Ratings  ·  169 Reviews
A captivating novel of rich spectacle and royal scandal, Days of Splendor, Days of Sorrow spans fifteen years in the fateful reign of Marie Antoinette, France’s most legendary and notorious queen.

Paris, 1774. At the tender age of eighteen, Marie Antoinette ascends to the French throne alongside her husband, Louis XVI. But behind the extravagance of the young queen’s elabor
Published May 15th 2012 by Random House Digital, Inc. (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Days of Splendor, Days of Sorrow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Days of Splendor, Days of Sorrow

Jane
May 05, 2013 Jane rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, signed
Where I got the book: purchased from author. Signed.

I was pretty enthusiastic about the first book in this series, Becoming Marie Antoinette , so I'm kind of sorry to report I didn't like this one nearly as much. Days of Splendor, Days of Sorrow covers the story of Marie Antoinette from the first days of Louis XVI's reign to the beginning of the French Revolution, so from 1774 to 1789.

Except that it didn't stick to just Marie Antoinette. I think my problem with Days by contrast to Becoming is t
Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews)
Read This Review & More Like It On My Blog!

Don't miss the interview and GIVEAWAY going on at my blog!

Another solidly impressive journey into the life of Marie Antoinette, Grey again proves, with her second novel in a planned trilogy, that she is a skilled writer, able to evoke time, place, and characters with equal vivacity. Beginning two weeks after the first novel, Becoming Marie Antoinette, ended, Grey immediately relaunches herself and the reader into an opulent, turbulent world with he
Stephanie
I’ve always been intrigued with Marie Antoinette. she was such a complex women, I wanted to shake her at one moment, then hug her the next. She bore a tremendous amount on her shoulders and yet at the same time made very bad decisions. Out of all the books I’ve read about her, I would say that I have really enjoyed Juliet Grey’s two novels, Becoming Marie Antoinette and Day’s of Splendor, Day’s of Sorrow the most. But keep in mind this is Historical Fiction but I believe Grey stayed true to the ...more
Christy English
Oct 08, 2012 Christy English rated it it was amazing
DAYS OF SPLENDOR, DAYS OF SORROW tells the story of Marie Antoinette’s time as Queen of France. In this novel, Marie Antoinette works hard to advise her husband as wisely as she can, reaching for the reigns of power, only to have Louis slap her hands away. She comes from Austria, where her mother co-rules an empire with her eldest brother, Emperor Joseph, and Marie Antoinette thinks that she should have at least an advisory role with her husband the king. But she is not in Austria. The Queens of ...more
Brenna
I would give it 3.5 stars. The beginning and the end were very interesting and made for easy reading. However most of the middle portion was a little too far fetched and exaggerated. Marie Antionette was quite annoying during the marjority of her reign. However, she really showed maturity once she bore her first child.
Lucy
Jun 25, 2012 Lucy rated it really liked it
This second book of Juliet Grey’s Marie Antoinette trilogy exceeded- by far, all my expectations. In the author’s first book, Becoming Marie Antoinette, we read about Antonia and how she, at a very young age becomes Queen of France- a most delightful read from beginning to end - So much so that I named it my favourite read of 2011. So how was Days of Splendor, Days of Sorrow, going to compare, or better yet; give me more to get excited about?

Detailed to perfection at what is now customary Juliet
Karen Stinneford
Jan 24, 2013 Karen Stinneford rated it it was ok
I read this book because I thoroughly enjoyed its prequel, "Becoming Marie Antoinette." THAT book offered great insight into the thoughts of a young girl whose life was not her own -- whose birthright belonged to the state, and who had to completely make herself over to meet ridiculous standards set by the country and rulers to which she would devote herself. Reading about 18th century orthodontists made me thank my lucky stars for modern medicine.

THAT book was revealing and interesting.

THIS bo
Angie
Jun 26, 2012 Angie rated it really liked it
I would give this book 3.5 stars if I could...

I have done extensive reading on Marie Antointette (though it was several years ago) and found her such an enticing person to read about. I "bonded" somehow with her persona in the books I previously read. I recently had the good fortune to visit Versailles, and so my obsession with her has reawakened. When I saw this new book about her, I was so excited to read it! (I found out later that it is bk#2 of the trilogy). I think because of the quality of
Amanda
Jun 23, 2012 Amanda rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012-releases
I was a little worried about this one. Not only are "middle" books in a trilogy always a little tough, but it seemed like keeping the "middle" of Marie Antoinette's life could be even more difficult. I mean, you can't get to the Revolution until the third book, and the first book introduced readers to the heroine and her struggles -so what is there to talk about in the "middle" book?

It turns out there's a lot.

In Days of Splendor, Days of Sorrow, Marie Antoinette's tale continues, taking up not
Arleigh
Sep 14, 2012 Arleigh rated it it was amazing
Juliet Grey, along with Amanda Elyot, is a pen name belonging to the lovely and talented Leslie Carroll—one of my favorite historical novelists. Having read seven of her books thus far, fiction and non-fiction, I much enjoy her smart writing style and her ability to write a perfectly balanced and intriguing story. All for Love, a fictional biography on the 18th century actress, Mary Robinson, remains one of my favorites, while this new trilogy on Marie Antoinette has been added to the list.

Days
Allison  Macias
Oct 26, 2012 Allison Macias rated it it was amazing
Juliet Grey continues the saga of Marie Antoinette in her second volume. Covering the years between her ascent to the throne and the beginning of the French Revolution. Spanning fifteen years, readers explore the French Court through the eyes of its infamous queen. Grey focuses the full life of Marie Antoinette, from her everyday life to the momentous events that shaped the Queen and the Court.

Days of Splendor, Days of Sorrow really captures the spirit of Marie Antoinette. The author does a grea
Elmira
Nov 26, 2012 Elmira rated it really liked it
This was a well researched and engaging story. This is a work of fiction, so the author can explore possible actions and thoughts through her characters that the real person might or might not have done or thought. What makes this an excellent work of historical fiction is the care that the author takes to be sure that the actions and thoughts of the characters are entirely consistent with the factual record, as well as with the likely motivations he/she was likely to feel.

Throughout the entire
Jessica Jewett
Apr 18, 2015 Jessica Jewett rated it really liked it
This is the second novel in Grey’s Marie Antoinette trilogy, which follows the Queen of France from the beginning of her reign through the dark days of the French Revolution. (The third and final novel, The Last October Sky, is due out in September 2013.) I found this novel to not quite be as fluid as the first. I don’t hold the author entirely at fault for this because I’m in the process of writing my own novel at this period of French history and untangling the truth from the spiderweb is ...more
Sandy
Aug 17, 2012 Sandy rated it really liked it
It seems to me that the world around 1800 was ready for a change and it truly didn't matter who was on the throne. Combine some long-rooted animosity against Austria and a weak monarch and you have a recipe for revolution. It occurs to me that Marie Antoinette really suffered from a lack of a decent PR department!

The book was very interesting, I like the view that Marie Antoinette was not the heinous person history alludes that she was. I had no idea about her frustrations about not being a mot
Gaile
The second book in this series is much better than the first one. I enjoyed it more. Marie Antoinette comes into her own and finally has her children. She also meets Axel Von Fersen. It ends on the eve of the French Revolution and we have to wait for the next book to come out which isn't yet out.
Knowing the inevitable end, I am not sure I want to read the next book. I never thought Marie Antoinette was responsible for the revolution. This book just convicts me even more. If only her husband had
Susan
Jun 10, 2012 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't like this one as much as the first novel in the trilogy, but then I didn't feel as sympathetic towards Marie Antoinette as I did in the first novel. In the early part of her life (the first novel), she was not left with many choice, but in this part of her life (second novel) she is making choices that lead her to become that tragic figure we know so well.
Aug 17, 2012 Jennifer rated it really liked it
"I imagined I heard a slow, steady drumbeat wherever I went." -- the character of Marie Antoinette in Days of Splendor, Days of Sorrow as things begin to deteriorate. What. A fabulous. Line.
Audra (Unabridged Chick)
Aug 29, 2013 Audra (Unabridged Chick) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review-needed
Another awesome novel from Grey. This might be my favorite book about Marie Antoinette. Review to come.
Frankie
Aug 27, 2013 Frankie rated it really liked it
Although written in the first person, Marie Antoinette still comes across as hedonistic and self-centered. Interesting concept. You get the feeling she almost begs for her own demise.
Caz
This is the second book in a trilogy focusing on the life and reign of the doomed French queen. The first is Becoming Marie Antoinette and the final book - The Last October Sky - is, I believe, going to be published next year.

Days of Splendour, Days of Sorrow focuses on the years 1774-1798, and begins at the point where Marie Antoinette’s husband, Louis, has just ascended the throne as Louis XVI.

The novel is written mostly in the first person which, as I mentioned in my review of The Second Empr
Anna  Gibson

[A review copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher at my request.]

How can a queen, once young and beloved, become a prime target for hatred? Days of Splendor, Days of Sorrow by Juliet Grey is, at its core, an exploration of how a young and fairly popular Marie Antoinette became such a detested figure in French public opinion.

Days of Splendor, Days of Sorrow is the highly anticipated second novel in author Juliet Grey’s Marie Antoinette trilog
Patrícia
Opinião do blogue Chaise Longue: http://girlinchaiselongue.blogspot.pt...

Escritora especializada em realeza, Juliet Grey divide o tempo entre a escrita e decorar textos para aos inúmeros papéis que representa enquanto actriz de teatro clássico, sejam virgens, feiticeiras ou vilãs. Apaixonada pela vida da última rainha de França, Maria Antonieta, não é de espantar que seja sobre ela a sua primeira trilogia, que iniciou em 2011. Vive entre Nova Iorque e Washington D.C..
Dias de Esplendor, Dias de
Gretchen
I wasn't impressed with the first novel in Juliet Grey's trilogy about Marie Antoinette. So why then did I decide to continue on to the second? I figured since Marie Antoinette's life became more interesting once she became Queen of France, the novel focusing on the same time period would become more interesting. I wasn't entirely wrong but I was far from right.

French is not my first language. Thanks to an episode of Friends I understand what Lady Marmalade is really about. Thanks to my children
Daisy
May 29, 2012 Daisy rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
So you guys might remember that I enjoyed Becoming Marie Antoinette, the first book in this series, especially the last part, in which I finally connected to Marie Antoinette. So of course I was eager to continue learning about her part of history with the second book in this trilogy about her life!

I'm glad to say that I immediately connected to Marie Antoinette again and maybe it was easier to relate to her now because of her age, she's becoming an adult and actually starts to take responsibili
Kirstin
Jul 23, 2012 Kirstin rated it really liked it
This story picks up exactly where Becoming Marie Antoinette ended, as was expected. Louis and Marie Antoinette are now King and Queen of France, a country in disarray and near bankruptcy. They have yet to consummate their marriage leaving them childless. Days of Splendor, Days of Sorrow: A Novel of Marie Antoinette continues their story as they move from being young sovereigns to parents to revolution.

At the beginning Marie Antoinette is enjoying being Queen. She is now the woman who sets the to
Christie
No spoilers for Days of Splendor, Days of Sorrow but proceed with caution if you have not read Becoming Marie Antoinette or know nothing about her story.

On this day the sun casts the longest shadows of the year.

This second book in Juliet Grey's Marie Antoinette series picks up right where the first one left off. Marie and Louis have become the rulers of France, beloved by their countrymen after the excesses and immorality of Louis XV's court. The lack of a royal heir and Marie's spending hab
Lia
Dec 19, 2014 Lia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Palais de Justice, 21 giugno 1786. «All’inizio, le voci della marmaglia si sollevano distintamente, maledicendo l’Autrichienne: la puttana austriaca. In pochi attimi aumentano di intensità. “È Maria Antonietta la vera voleuse! È l’avida regina che avrebbe dovuto patire un tale destino! Monsieur le bourreau, perché non marchiate a fuoco lei?”». L’ostilità sta crescendo. Maria Antonietta lo sa: l’affare della collana di diamanti è un segnale, qualsiasi cosa potrà scaturire dal clima d’odio. Dodici ...more
Aug 26, 2012 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Juliet Grey's first novel in this trilogy "Becoming Marie Antoinette" was wonderful, focusing upon Marie Antoinette before she became Queen of France. This novel directly follows on from the first, commencing with the coronation of Louis XVI--"Louis le desire"--who came to the throne much beloved by the people. Juliet Grey clearly shows in this novel the couple's descent from being the desired new King and Queen of France to the hated pair that they became during the time leading up to the ...more
Meg - A Bookish Affair
Days of Splendor, Days of Sorrow is the second book in a planned trilogy about the infamous Marie Antoinette. In this book, Marie Antoinette is in her early to mid-twenties. When the book opens, her place in the French palace is perilous because she and Louis still have not produced an heir for the French throne, mostly due to Louis' most unfortunate medical situation.

You do not need to read "Becoming Marie Antoinette" in order to enjoy "Days of Splendor, Days of Sorrow." You will definitely sti
Literary  Chanteuse
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Feb 13, 2015 10:19AM
Free Books, .99 &...: Win a copy of Days of Splendor, Days of Sorrow! 1 80 Nov 02, 2012 08:15AM
  • Flaunting, Extravagant Queen (French Revolution, #3)
  • The Sister Queens
  • The Queen's Dollmaker
  • The Queen's Pleasure
  • Farewell, My Queen
  • Finding Emilie
  • To Be Queen: A Novel of the Early Life of Eleanor of Aquitaine
  • The Queen's Vow: A Novel of Isabella of Castile
  • The Rivals of Versailles (The Mistresses of Versailles Trilogy, #2)
  • Before Versailles: A Novel of Louis XIV
  • Becoming Josephine
  • The Turning of Anne Merrick
  • The Flower Reader
  • White Heart
  • The Second Empress: A Novel of Napoleon's Court
  • The King's Daughter
  • The Secret Keeper: A Novel of Kateryn Parr (Ladies in Waiting #2)
  • Queen of Bedlam (Georgian Queens #1)
4519652
Juliet Grey has extensively researched European royal history and is a particular devotee of Marie Antoinette. She and her husband divide their time between New York City and Washington DC.
More about Juliet Grey...

Marie Antoinette (3 books)
  • Becoming Marie Antoinette (Marie Antoinette, #1)
  • Confessions of Marie Antoinette (Marie Antoinette, #3)