Start by marking “Lady Gallant” as Want to Read:
Lady Gallant

Lady Gallant ( European Renaissance Duo #1)

3.81  ·  Rating Details  ·  802 Ratings  ·  66 Reviews
A daring spy in Queen Mary's court, Lady Eleanora Becket risks her life to rescue the innocent from a terrible fate. During an attack by a band of cutthroats, Nora is rescued by Christian de Rivers, a sword-wielding rogue who sweeps her into his arms.

"Sure to captivate . . . reader(s) of historical romance". --Dallas Times-Herald
Published August 17th 2011 by Fanfare (first published December 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Lady Gallant, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lady Gallant

Booklover
This was a really difficult read for me,i only gave 2 stars is one star for the mystery-suspense part and second for the grovelling

The way hubby treated his wife was really hard for me to read,sleeping with OW woman in front of his wife and purposely doing it next to the room of her and making loads of noises so that she comes and sees he is doing it with them and also in one scene he says "Just don't stand there i have to finish what i started and ask her to close the door if she is getting di
Crista
I was so excited to read this book! It is set in the Tudor era and if you are reading this book PLEASE read Robinson's introduction. It gives a nice "back drop" to the story and describes what was going on in England during that time. It was very interesting.

Then the book started.

This is a case of "too little too late". Christian de Rivers is not a nice man. He has been through a lot in his life, but he is a mean and nasty man. Not my kind of hero material. The heroes I love don't have to be s
Kathleen
Jan 17, 2013 Kathleen rated it really liked it
Content: Sex, swearing, profanity, violence

4.25 stars. I am re-reading an old favorite, now on kindle. This historical has it all -- history, action and suspense, chemistry and sex, tenderness, heartbreak, heapings of angst (!!), and a good deal of humor. I truly did laugh and cry. Again. Wow!!

Set in Tudor England in 1558, after the death of King Henry the VIII, who had ousted Catholicism and established the Protestant Church of England, so that he could divorce Catherine of Aragon. Now Henry is
Emotonal Reads
Ana T.
Apr 15, 2008 Ana T. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2008
I had this book in the TBR pile for a very long time. I heard very good things about it but at the same time I was unsure about how I would feel as I'd also heard the hero behaves very badly towards the heroine. I'm happy to say this was an A read!.

The ladies of the palace called Nora Becket "mouse". But beneath her shy, artless ways hid the heart of a lioness. A daring spy in Queen Mary's court, she risked her life to rescue the innocent from a terrible fate. Yet it was Nora who needed rescuing
Amber
Apr 19, 2012 Amber rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: medieval
WOW. This book was repeatedly recommended for its great grovel scene. The title and cover put me off reading it for a long time, and I didn't even realize it was medieval, which I normally don't go for. But OMG, this book is AMAZING. So witty and intelligent, but I couldn't stand to slow down and savor it because I had to see what happened next. Both H and h were beautifully flawed. I adore this book.
Sakura
Gerrie
I don't often read books about the Tudor period, but I am so glad I relied on the rave reviews and picked this one up. Also, this is about the reign of Mary, which has received a lot less literary attention than Henry and Elizabeth. The historical research was absolutely first class but it never felt like an information dump or history lesson. It was a seamless, but integral, part of the story.

I wasn't sure if I would like this book. The beginning is a little confusing, and it was unclear at fir
Lemon
I give this book a low rating not because of the terrible things our hero perpetrated on our heroine, but because it was simply a badly told story. I take it this story was supposed to feel as though it is a tale told by a court jester, what with all the random bits of poetry song spewed by our hero Christian at the most random times. And I really did feel like it was a silly tale told by a court jester for this book has the dubious honor of presenting the most breathtakingly stupid fictional ch ...more
Aug 20, 2012 Jennifer rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Just not my thing. I never got a handle on the tone - it was almost lite a la Julie Garwood (especially with the heroine, oy), but then got all angsty, but there was lots of banter, but it was almost too light after the rough treatment.
Zizz
Loved this book
Linda Sims
Oct 23, 2013 Linda Sims rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
PASSIONATE TUDOR ROMANCE

Christian de Rivers Lord Monfort, son of the Earl of Vasterne is a favourite at the court of Mary Tudor. Taken by a band of cut throats as a boy, taught to rob, steal, lie and cheat. It was some time before his father found him and took him home. The result was a nobleman with a disregard for propriety, he still retained his outlaw friends and enjoyed their company often. His loving father tolerated Christian's behaviour as did Queen Mary.

Nora Beckett was one of Mary's la
Krista the Bookaholic

This was quiet good, but a bit too long, IMO. At some points it felt like it was dragging. On the positive side, this really does have one of the best grovelings done by the hero. Christian did redeem himself in the end. I was laughing so hard during the "love spell" and how he took Cat the puppy to do the pulling LOL

The side characters were very likeable, too, especially Arthur. That mite was too cute for words. The way he kept saying "we" and "us", like "we don't like you", "you marri
Noelle
Uggh, I had such high hopes for this story but in the end, I just couldn't wait until it was over. =/

Nora (h) was a product of her mother's infidelity and when she dies all Nora had was the man who raised her as a daughter, a man who basically hated her and felt as if she was a burden. All she wants is to be loved but knowing that she's very plain and that she will never catch a husband, she instead turns her self to court intrigue.

Christian (H) is used to having women through themselves at him
sraxe
H is a huge POS and makes the h, his wife, suffer over and over and over again (even cheating on her at one point and making sure that she sees).

There's not enough grovelling in the world.
Marilyn
Aug 18, 2012 Marilyn rated it it was ok
I only read this 50%. I couldn't finish it. When I selected it to read, I envisioned a romance set in Tudor England with intrigue, and daring-do; a handsome rogue, a courageous lady-in-waiting. Instead, it read like something I might have enjoyed twenty or thirty years ago but not now. It's too dated. What might have been okay in 1992 does not hold up to today's standards. To me, it was like the author couldn't make up her mind which way she wanted this novel to go -- to write it for real or to ...more
PNR
This kind of book is tough for me. The hero is a complete asshole and is unforgivably awful to the heroine. The heroine is a spineless doormat. Actually, I think I know where Stephanie Meyer gets her inspiration from... Basically, I would hate for any girl to read this and think it is what love should be like. But, for me personally, there is something that resonates. I had someone I loved tear me down in a not dissimilar manner to what the heroine in this book experiences. There is part of me t ...more
Gaile
Against the background of the court of Bloody Mary, this novel is about the fate of one of her ladies in waiting. Nora Becket doesn't feel fulfilled in Mary's court. She is also a spy for William Cecil.
Unknown to her, Christian De Rivers is also a spy. Nora is not sure she trusts him but when her father settles on a bridegroom for her against her wishes, suddenly Christian seems a more attractive prospect but either knows which side the other is on.
This is an excellent heart stopping love story,
Tina
Had some of the best grovel scenes, and the hero completely redeemed himself in my eyes.

Spoiler:

Cheating scene is pretty vague, and questionable. I read it as cheating but I know some people did not view it as such. I just wanted to mention this here because I didn't want to turn people off from my cheating tag. Some authors can pull off cheating without making the reader go crazy (Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers), this author pulled it off as well.

This was a great book. Absolutely recommend
Adensanti
Feb 26, 2015 Adensanti rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i enjoyed this book. like... A LOT! oh.. the angst, the revenge, the tortured he was given to his wife, the hurtful feeling she has for what he did to her, the tears, and im satisfied w/the grovel. no girl can pushed around the hero that hard and drove him to his limit to beg her forgiveness like what she did, coz he really really did something unforgiveable to her. showing your wife that he was having a let's said.. prelude to sex w/those bitches and all those echoed loud moans right beside her ...more
Danica Avet
Jan 25, 2010 Danica Avet rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book at least once a year and it breaks my heart every single time.

Christian is cruel, but has a very good reason for it. Nora is timid, but loyal. Together, they're a perfect pair.

I'm not normally a person who enjoys Elizabethan historical romances, but Robinson has a way of making the period and settings appear everyday. I absolutely LOVE this book and would recommend it to anyone who wants to have their hearts ripped out of their chests, and given back to them with a sweet kiss.
KatieV
Honestly, I read this because I heard it was the best "grovel" ever by a hero. Yes, it does go on longer than most, but I still don't see that he deserved to be forgiven yet (if ever). What he did to make her forgive him was "cute" but not the depth of emotion I wished to see. I also did not like the language. It was probably accurate to the time, but it didn't work for me. I feel the same way about Regency's. I just can't stand the way they speak. It's just a personal preference, I suppose.
Camille
Jun 02, 2015 Camille rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
SmittenKitten
This book is great. The beginning is so cute and romantic... and I was totally loving it, but then some heartbreaking stuff happens. The hero cheats in a pretty despicable way. Christian's treatment of Nora is like taking a puppy, shoving it into a bag, and throwing it over a bridge into the river. At least he feels guilty afterwards and does some major groveling. Nora is forever changed after the cheating incident, and reinvents herself from a mouse to a dragon.

Karen
Sep 12, 2015 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Liked:
-Nora. She's shy and ALWAYS HIDING from someone, but I found that endearing.
-Blade. I really wanted to learn more of his backstory and what happens (view spoiler).
-Arthur. OMG SO CUTE!
-The prose. Heck yeah 16th century! I rarely read anything set in this time period.

Didn't Like:
-Christian. I will admit he's an interesting character, but he acts like a child most of the time. The misunderstanding could've
Christina A. Marley
It was a difficult read for me. I liked the heroine but not the hero. However, I did enjoy his grovelling. It didn’t make me more inclined to like him in any way though. Christian was not a hero I would like to read about. I mostly stuck out this book for Nora. She eventually develops a backbone throughout the novel and I loved reading that about her.
☆Eiko
It's been years, and I mean YEARS since a book made me cry... I was certainly not expecting this book to do the same thing, I was simply looking for something engaging or entertaining for me to read, but alas, I found a treasure instead.

It began when I finally was able to finish watching the second half of 'Sense and Sensibility' (the 1995 film with my beloved Alan Rickman <3 ) that I decided I wanted to read about about a hero who falls in love with the heroine first and has to try and conv
Twiggy
Nov 21, 2011 Twiggy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dark-hero, spoilers, tudor
I am not a big fan of medieval/tudor historical romances but overall this was pretty good.

I did struggle with the language a bit, which is very Tudor England and has many trulls, turnips, cocks etc etc . That said, it would have been fairly hard work to maintain the tone and the author manages this throughout the book and captures the time period well.

The book starts off with the hero Christian de Rivers rescuing the hapless heroine, Nora Becket from the infamous highway man Jack Midnight.
The
♥ Vonda M. Reid ♥
Overall: 4.50 // Action: 3.5 / Emotion: 4.75 / Romance: 4 / Sensuous: 1.5 / Suspense: 3 // Historical Flavor: 5 / Laughter: 3 / Tears: 6

All-in-all, Lady Gallant by Suzanne Robinson was a wonderful, engaging, interesting read. It featured: {1} a gorgeous, hunky, 'all the women wanted to bed' hero, that inspired a broad spectrum of feelings from love to sympathy to hate. {2} A unique, courageous, yet, meek, mild-mannered, heroine who embraced her feelings of unworthiness through half the book. {
  • Perfect Sin (Clayton #2)
  • The Coming Home Place
  • My Lady Vixen
  • A Rose at Midnight
  • Crimson Rapture
  • Libertine's Kiss (Rakes and Rogues of the Restoration, #1)
  • Emerald Knight
  • To Have and To Hold (Wyckerley Trilogy, #2)
  • The Lover
  • When Angels Fall
  • Uncommon Vows
  • The Marriage Bed
  • Risk Everything (The Blackthorn Trilogy, #3)
  • No Longer Mine
  • The Rake's Rainbow
  • Never a Gentleman (Drake's Rakes, #2)
  • The Portrait
  • The Flesh and the Devil
Lynda Suzanne Robinson (b. July 6, 1951 in Amarillo, Texas) is an American writer, author of romance (under the name Suzanne Robinson) and mystery novels (under the name Lynda S. Robinson). She is best known for her series of historical whodunnits set in Ancient Egypt during the reign of Tutankhamun and featuring Lord Meren, "the Eyes and Ears of Pharaoh". She lives in Texas with her husband and h ...more
More about Suzanne Robinson...

European Renaissance Duo (2 books)
  • Lady Defiant (European Renaissance Duo, #2; Ladies, #3)