The Generation Game

The Generation Game

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  123 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Philippa Smith is in her forties and has a beautiful newborn baby girl. She also has no husband, and nowhere to turn. So she turns to the only place she knows: the beginning. Retracing her life, she confronts the daily obstacles that shaped her very existence. From the tragic events of her childhood abandonment, to the astonishing accomplishments of those close to her, Phi...more
Published August 1st 2011 by Legends Press (first published July 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Generation Game, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Generation Game

Paula Vince
Philippa Smith is a first time mother in her early 40s. While the hospital staff seem concerned about her baby, for a reason she can't initially get out of them, she decides to go over her own life story for the baby girl's benefit. As she relives events, she clarifies in her own head which were the most important things and who were the most meaningful people in her life.

As Philippa was born just 5 years before me, I loved the reference to the historical events which helped shape her life. Her...more
Ina Solomon
I struggled through this book, the characters where not very well described so that I had to stop and remember who they were, also the ending was a bit `soap opera` for me, I prefer books that are more realistic. However, there were things that touched my emotions and for that I gave it 2 stars.
Jenni V.
I would like to thank NetGalley and Legend Press for the opportunity to read and honestly review this book.
This book is written in first person, narrated by Philippa, and she is very matter-of-fact. At first I thought she was detached, which made me sad when reading her flashbacks because it showed a world weariness no young child should have; she had already faced adult issues (death, abandonment, etc.) and accepted them as life. But as I read further and realized this is a British novel, I won...more
Janet Gogerty
I bought this on Kindle soon after it was recommended to me and it was a good choice. I already had some idea of the structure, two time lines tied to real events and British television programmes, set in London and Torquay, Devon. But it does not matter if you have not lived in this country or seen the programmes, it is the characters that stand out and particularly the child's eye view of events amusing, confusing and tragic. The two time lines merge, the plot more complex than expected, but a...more
Andrew
An interesting premise: the book starts with a woman in hospital talking to her newborn baby girl. She starts to tell the story of her life, beginning with her own birth in St Thomas’s Hospital in 1965 and going right up to the present day.

“I’ll tell you my story. Our story. Because there’s nothing worse than wondering. Knowing is always better.”

It works well to begin with the end, and to return to it regularly through the telling of everything that led up to that point. It builds anticipation a...more
Joanne
Ooh, I sit here torn over the rating to give this charming little book, 4 or 5, wanting perhaps to go somewhere in the middle, but then I realise - I stayed up half the night to finish it, I have been in turns laughing out loud and brought to tears, and it has been a wonderful nostalgia trip for me, through the Blue Peter and Generation Game years of my youth. So 5 it is!

The Generation Game was flagged up to me as a recommendation based on previous books I have read, but I have to admit, when it...more
Elizabeth Ducie
At the start of The Generation Game, it is 2006 and the central character Philippa has just given birth to her first child. We do not know whether Philippa is married, who the baby’s father is or whether they are still together. We do know, gradually, that the baby is unwell and as Philippa waits to find out whether her child will survive, she tells her own story in flashbacks.

We hear of her birth in a London hospital, to Helena, an unmarried mother who tries her best but is overwhelmed by havi...more
Linda
Sep 27, 2012 Linda rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: ebook
I really enjoyed this book. The author and I have a mutual friend, who promoted the book on Facebook. When I saw that she had been published a second time, I figured I'd try this, her first book. (Besides, it was discounted!) And I really enjoyed it. It is close to "chick lit" - perhaps because there is humour in the writing - but better than that I think. Her voice is light and funny but intelligent (much like our mutual friend), and so is an easy read. Yet there are things to think about here...more
Samantha Bones
The book tells the story of Philippa born in London 1965. It follows her through her rollercoaster of a life dipping into all of those events and trends that marked the lives of those of us who grew up in the UK in the 70s and 80s, even quoting a few Smiths lyrics along the way.

A great yarn with well-developed and likeable characters and with some unexpected twists and turns. I found this book hard to put down and my family came close to going hungry on a few nights whilst I was reading it.
Georgina
I suppose that seeing a mention of Larry Grayson in the blurb isn't really a great reason to choose a novel, but I did love Larry Grayson! This novel was likeable, but not earth-shattering. It captured the times well, but not, for me, so much the sense of place. There was a sweetness to it that the world could do with more of. Not a romping yarn, but a nice gentle trot alongside some good people with every end firmly gathered up into a neat little twist at the end.
Ann
I liked the way the narrator told the story to the baby. Philippa has an unusual childhood and she tells her newborn daughter all about it. How she will be a better mother, a better provider. Philippa and the people around her neighborhood are ordinary people, living ordinary lives but she does put life and color into them. A nice read.
Melanie Briggs
I loved this book. For me as I was born in the early 60s, this book brought back a lot of memories. I liked the story too, and also the twist at the end which really took me by surprise.

Arguably it is not the best written book in the world, but it is an easy and enjoyable read. I would recommend it.
Fareen
The book is a lovely and a fast read...
At the end of the book I did go into a moment of contemplation on subjects that interest me: boundaries and characteristics of love, and relationships and even triggered some meditations on the drama of life. Thoroughly enjoyed this book.
Rebecca Parsons
A nice, funny read. Not a show stopper but enjoyable all the same
Clo
This book isn't my usual type but I really enjoyed it, the twist. at the end was fabulous
Alison
Really enjoyed this, partly because the storyline completely took my by surprise. I was expecting something a bit chick lite but in Davy this takes quite a philosophical look at what family is and why blood isn't necessarily thicker than water. It crackled along at a fair pace and there was plenty to keep me guessing. Very enjoyable but quite thought provoking too.
Suzi Cresswell
I loved this book. I liked the chapter titles, all seventies TV shows and the amazing characters. The main protagonist is abandoned by her mother but left with a eccentric group of people who become her family like Bob from the shop and a mad old lady with a parrot. It's funny, touching, sad, very human. There's a great twist at the end too!
Irene Suarez
Life story of Phillipa. This is a nice book although an it slow and heavy at times. I enjoyed it but I doubt I would re-read it.
Katarina
The book grabs you and doesn't let you go until the last page.

This story of family has elements of passion, disfunction, generational conflict, parenting and well...real life.

It's a beautiful story, very real, and also with a very surprising end.

Ruth
Funny & sad. I had some issues with the style initially but I'm glad I overlooked them as the ending was great.

Read & reviewed for The Bookbag:
Katie Worsdell
It was ok. Not that I did not like it but it was one of those books that I thought life is too short and there are so many books out there...I really did not want to waste my time on this one, so I did not finish reading this one.
Carmen Chalmers
A great story about a girl who grows up in an unconventional family setting. Many of the characters who she knows from a young girl all become lifelong friends. A really easy & fun read I really enjoyed it. Xx
Rabsterking
Absolutely loved this book - could not help but love all the characters even in their own bad way! The ending was splendid A+ for Sophie and also taking you down memory lane.
Susan Roebuck
Anyone who remembers Valerie, Chris, and John on Blue Peter (BBC) and who is an Anglophile will adore this book. I did.
Kathryn
Really well written, brilliant detail and it comes all together in a brilliant way too!
Sarah Davey
Great book
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Sophie is the winner of the 2010 Luke Bitmead Bursary and the Yeovil Literary Prize. She currently lives in Teignmouth, Devon with her husband and three children. Sophie's debut novel The Generation Game is published July 2011. The novel is inspired by Sophie's childhood growing up in a sweet shop in Torquay. Sophie's second novel This Holey Life is published in August 2012.
More about Sophie Duffy...
This Holey Life