Start by marking “Birthrights (The Awakening Trilogy #1)” as Want to Read:
Birthrights (The Awakening Trilogy #1)

Birthrights (The Awakening Trilogy #1)

3.73  ·  Rating Details  ·  816 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
Book One of the Awakening Trilogy - BONUS EDITION

In the middle of the night Caislyn Vadoma auto-sketches a scene in which her parents are kidnapped from the family bookstore. She awakens in the morning to find that her sketch, a rare glimpse into the future, has already become reality.

Jasmine DeLaney leaves her life behind when an abusive boyfriend puts her in the hospital
Published August 1st 2011 by Moonlit Dreams (first published April 8th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Birthrights, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Birthrights

Prince of Wolves by Quinn LoftisUnEnchanted by Chanda HahnThe Fallen Star by Jessica SorensenThe Mind Readers by Lori BrightonHollowland by Amanda Hocking
FREE Ebooks For Teens
130th out of 489 books — 1,086 voters
Prince of Wolves by Quinn LoftisUnEnchanted by Chanda HahnBlood Money by Anthony HulseThe Fallen Star by Jessica SorensenOrange is my favorite color! by Vanguard Direct
Free eBooks on iBook
79th out of 144 books — 135 voters

More lists with this book...

Terry
Sep 21, 2011 Terry rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
First off, this book creeped me out, LOL.

An urban mixture of all the supernatural beings a lover of the genre could want to read about. Witches, vampires, fae, lycans, werecreatures, and demons, who co-exist with humans.
One of the disturbing things to me was the expert quality detail the authors put into this story. It seemed very realistic.
The incantations are detailed, down to the wording of the spell, the description of the dagger, etc., etc. The authors seem very knowledgeable and familiar
Christine Butler
Jun 01, 2011 Christine Butler added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-books
This is a duplicate of a book that is already listed. Please leave reviews, ratings, etc. on the edition that has a book cover! Thank you!

Merged review:

This is my own story. I'm not really voting on it, just making sure it gets noticed, because it's one of my babies! And just as I would brag about my own living children, I have to do so for my paper and electronic ones too.

This is the first book in The Awakening Trilogy! The trilogy follows Caislyn Vadoma and Jaxon Delaney as they learn that the
Patria Dunn-Rowe
Don’t you hate when you get to the end of a book, and you are so into it, that you find yourself checking to make sure there are no more pages to read!? This is what happened to me at the end of Birthrights. The extreme detail, and the vivid description of each character and creature ranging from Feys to Lycans to Weres to Vamps, and last but certainly not least in this story –Witches-, left me feeling like that author is indeed a witch herself –living among us in our human world-. How else coul ...more
Merissa (Archaeolibrarian)
Jun 23, 2012 Merissa (Archaeolibrarian) rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-freebie
This is the story of Caislyn and Jax, two very different women with attitude!

Jax has run away from an abusive relationship and started a new life. She considers herself wholly human in a world where the 'paranormal' exists.

Caislyn is a witch whose parents are missing and the world, including her lawyer, presume dead although she refuses to believe this.

Throw them together and what have you got? A fast-paced, punchy book that made me laugh with their humour and search along with them for answers.
 Chrystal-Clear (aka trouble4u)
I am very gratefully for getting the opportunity to read this book. I won a copy on the goodreads giveaways and I was not disappointed. The characters were well writen and the plot kept me reading.
Two girls meet up and become fast friends that unleash powers that were not previously known to either of them. As the book moves on, the plot gets deeper and draws you in to the world of these two. I did recieve a since of feeling for the main characters and that is great to see when reading a book. I
Carkusa Rose
Jun 12, 2014 Carkusa Rose rated it it was ok
I finished this book with haste. Excellent story and plot, but poorly executed by the authors.
Ruth Meeks
Jan 20, 2014 Ruth Meeks rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. A interesting twist of fate with 2 girls from differant up bringings. Strange what brings people together and makes them stronger. I didn't like how it ended by just cutting off. But the short stories are a must read. They explain questions you might have. I really liked the book for the most part.
Becky
Nov 04, 2015 Becky rated it did not like it
I have only read the first book in the series, but after Birthrights I just cannot get through the rest of the series.

However, I think that this book did have a lot of potential, the two main characters are interesting, but because the book is so short there is not enough development for them. The whole story is kind of rushed. For example one of the main characters starts off in an abusive relationship and is moved to safety house. Then the next time you see her she has gotten over the ordeal
Stefani
Oct 14, 2011 Stefani rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: paranormal thriller fans
This was a quick and easy read but one that I thoroughly enjoyed. There were a few things that bugged me slightly, for example a few incorrect words like using wait instead of weight (no that wasn't an actual example from the book but that sort of thing) and a few spelling errors here and there. But overall these did not detract from my ability to read and enjoy the story. I found myself drawn into the Caislyn and Jaxon's respective plights that have pulled the two of them together. One is tryin ...more
Wanda Hartzenberg
Jun 21, 2012 Wanda Hartzenberg rated it liked it
I must confess, this story has a ton of potential, potential I hope the rest of the trylogy will showcase. The potential of the story could however not make up for the fact that I felt overwhelmed by the constant bombarding of new characters, powers etc. I felt disconnected from the story from the start until the end.
I felt especially let down with the end of the book. I understand that it is the first book in a series but it ended with almost no resolution and left me paging to find another pa
J.A.
Jun 18, 2011 J.A. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In Birthrights you will find Vampires, Lycans, Werecreatures, Witches, Fae’s and the like, co-existing in a parallel world to that of us mere human’s.

In the beginning something goes terribly wrong (no spoilers here) and Caislyn sets out determined to find her missing parents. The family lawyer and others believe them dead, but Casilyn refuses to believe it. In her quest to find them she joins forces with Jax, a very strong individual who is just beginning to learn what she is fully capable of.

Th
Jennie
Jun 03, 2012 Jennie rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: No One
Ugh, I read through this entire series and frankly, I don't know why I bothered. The first novel is by far the best, but unfortunately that isn't saying much. For me it was like eating plain toast for breakfast. It wasn't good, but didn't make me want to vomit either. So, I figured I would read the second book since it seemed like things were going to heat up. The second book had more typos and grammatical errors and the story started getting to be too out there for me. I know, its a fantasy, bu ...more
Melissa
Feb 25, 2012 Melissa rated it liked it
This is another surprise read. A bit rough but interesting enough to make me want to finish it. Caislyn and Jasmine are both strong characters that you would want to follow. Both are children of two races of the Other Than Human society, composed of vampires, witches, werewolves, demons, and faeries. The two unlikely friends are part of a prophecy that others view to be bad news for the non-human world, so the two are forever wary of those who want them dead. Together, Jas & Cais are stronge ...more
Josephine Calabrese
Birthrights (The Awakening Trilogy Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Birthrights (The Awakening Trilogy Book 1)
Christine M. Butler and Jennifer L. Oliver

An interesting book which left me up in the air. The story wasn't finished! I kept looking if I missed a chapter or chapters but it didn't look like it. Then I was thinking it might be one of those to be continued stories, maybe to be continued in her next book of the trilogy. I was left in suspense.

I rate this book four stars.

Josephine Calabrese
Writer, L
Jax
Aug 22, 2011 Jax rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I REALLY look forward to more adventures!

Birthrights is an exciting read that is impossible to put down! From the moment I began reading, this book wove a spell around me and I found myself reading late into the night. You will look forward to discovering what adventure happens next with each page turn…I know I did!

The authors take you into a world where humans and non-humans coexist, with character descriptions and personalities so vivid they become real. With a perfect mix of seriousness and w
Feb 12, 2012 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Although the subject matter was extremely interesting to me with the combination of all things that go bump in the night, I struggled through the first few chapters. The editing is a bit choppy and I had to stop myself from growling at the blatant errors; hence my frustration. I do love the characters and the amount of detail put into every description from the herbal tea to the incantations. With that level of detail one feels almost as if they are there with the characters, drinking their tea ...more
Amber
Nov 04, 2012 Amber rated it liked it
Shelves: trilogy, paranormal
All sorts of Paranormal creatures in Birthrights. Caislyn sets out to find her missing parents. Everyone else presumes them to be dead. Caislyn ends up teaming up with another young lady Jax. The two main characters of this story are intriguing and charming young ladies. Both just coming into their power and discovering who they are. Butler does a great job of roping you in with vivid detail and interesting plot.

The two girls also find themselves involved with a hot hunky vampire Seth. There is
Susan Schimmel
Jan 24, 2016 Susan Schimmel rated it it was ok
This book is not really for me. I found it too silly and it was spoiled by several spelling/grammatical errors such as 'your' instead of 'you're'.
Molly
Mar 21, 2012 Molly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
I am so torn about this book. It took a while to gain momentum but once it did it went smoothly and kept me up past one to finish it. It ended so abruptly I almost booted the computer to download the second installment in the middle of the night. I think it will be a nice trilogy but the main thing I had trouble with was the editing! There were so many grammatical errors and confusing transitions on the kindle edition it took away from the story. I will continue the series but hope I don't cring ...more
Sabrina M
Jan 06, 2013 Sabrina M rated it liked it
The story line was interesting. If the author had paid more attention to the details, character development and personality, I probably would've read the other books. When I first started reading the book the characters seemed strong and put together, more mature; but as I continued reading the interactions between the characters became almost childlike. Giving it 3 stars was a little generous on my part but since the story has potential it may still do well if the author revises it.
Victoria Newman
Aug 28, 2014 Victoria Newman rated it it was amazing
Is a great book to read
Liesl Biddell
Dec 31, 2013 Liesl Biddell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Great story but how is it an author who has previously worked as an editorial assistant would allow her book to be read by anyone with so many editing mistakes? I am getting tired of reading what seem to be drafts. It was thrilling to pick up a paperback and read something with only one or two errors in the entire book. Does it have something to do with the file format? Anyway I will be reading book two as the story is good despite the editing.
Marissa
Apr 10, 2012 Marissa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
This is an exciting book with mystery, magic, action, and a touch of romance. The story initially flows between Jaxon and Caislyn, and eventually unites. There are vampires, demons, Fey, hellhounds, and a lot more supernatural creatures keeping the super powers, magic, and prophecies going to advance the story. A fun and enjoyable read. The only aspect I disliked was the very abrupt cliffhanger ending.
Ashley
May 16, 2012 Ashley rated it really liked it
Very different and interesting take on the paranormal world. I enjoy the main character of Cais and Jax a lot. They are so different, but compliment each other well and neither of them are the typical damsel in distress, which is a refreshing change. I am excited to see what develops between the girls and some important men in their lives. Can't wait to read the next one.
Shawanda
Sep 06, 2012 Shawanda rated it liked it
It was a good book, I like the journey that Jax, Caislyn and Seth are going on. The only problem I had with the book is all the grammar mistakes throughout the book.

The part I like the most is the 3 short stories at the end of the book. It helped fill in a lot of gaps and answered a lot of questions that I had. I will be reading the next installment in the series.
Nikki
Aug 29, 2013 Nikki rated it it was ok
I finished it (only so quickly because I had a very long car ride to read during), which means I liked it fine, but I don't feel the need to read the others in the series. I like the two main female characters, but all the other characters fall a little flat to me. It also seemed to need a lot of editing, which drove me crazy.
Angelique
Apr 12, 2012 Angelique rated it liked it
This was an OK series. The story line is somewhat exciting, but I am appalled at the poor editing. The grammar and spelling errors would make one wonder whether or not it was edited at all before it hit the shelves. Other that that, it kept me interested enough to read the entire trilogy.
Bobbi Keim
Apr 06, 2012 Bobbi Keim rated it really liked it
This was a fast & easy read. I was pulled in from the first page and found it extremely hard to put down. the characters in this book actually seem to come to life right before your eyes. I actually started to talk to the characters in the story I got so involved in it.
K.
Feb 20, 2012 K. rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks
I enjoyed this story for the most part. Sometimes its hard to get through, but once you get past those parts, its smooth reading. I really enjoyed the little novellas at the end which gave you more back story about the characters. I will probably read the 2nd book.
  • The Arrival
  • I'll Be Damned (Anna Wolfe #1)
  • Beautiful Sins: Leigha Lowery  (The Thaneaddus Chronicles, #1)
  • Aaibhe-Shee Queen (Legend, #0.25)
  • The Pocket Watch (The Trinity Saga, #1)
  • Earth (Elemental, #1)
  • Night Marchers (Night Marchers, #1)
  • The Pearl Savage (Savage, #1)
  • Chosen (Guardians of the Word, #1)
  • Witch Way Bends (Bend-Bite-Shift Trilogy, #1)
  • The Fate of Destiny (Fates, #1)
  • Cameron's Law (Adelheid, #1)
  • Raven (The Raven Saga, #1)
  • Intrigue (Night Muse #1)
  • Initiate (The Unfinished Song, #1)
  • A Chance for Charity (The Immortal Ones, #1)
  • Shimmerspell (The Shimmer Trilogy, #1)
  • Dark Earth
Christine M. Butler writes paranormal fantasy and contemporary romance books from her fabulous home tucked away near the southern tip of the Appalachian Mountains on the North Carolina / Georgia border. That means she sees a lot of rainy days to help her focus on writing, but when the sun comes out she’s usually out and about playing in the woods, a creek, river, or lake.
She spends her free time w
More about Christine M. Butler...

The Awakening Trilogy (3 books)
  • Revelations
  • Incarnations (The Awakening Trilogy #3)