Nightwing, Vol. 1: A Knight in Blüdhaven

Nightwing, Vol. 1: A Knight in Blüdhaven (Nightwing I #1)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  342 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Growing up as Robin, the Boy Wonder, Dick Grayson fought crime alongside his mentor and father figure, Batman. But as the adolescent sidekick became an adult hero, he stepped out of the Dark Knight's shadow and took the idenity of Nightwing. In this fast paced and action packed adventure, Dick becomes the protector of Gotham's sister city, Blüdhaven, after Batman asks him...more
Published May 26th 2004 by DC Comics (first published August 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Nightwing, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nightwing, Vol. 1

John Yelverton
This starts off a new stage in the life of the original Robin, and does it quite well.
Sophie
Brandy Shark
I'm not a giant comic fan, I like the concept and love the art and story lines, but there's just something about them, I can't really get into; I can't explain it or defend it, that's just how it is.

Be that as it may, I've been in love with Dick Grayson since I was about five-years-old, so when I saw the library had a copy of Nightwing, I knew that I had to get it.

Story-line was, I don't think it's much different than most super hero comics, but I do like the concept of Nightwing breaking out o...more
Bludhaven
Dick Grayson, now no longer Robin the Boy Wonder, but his own super hero Nightwing is asked by his mentor to investigate a murder mystery at it's source. Bodies have floated up to Gotham, but the crimes must have taken place in it's corrupted and crime-ridden sister city Bludhaven.

Nightwing gets drawn into a web of cooruption, lies and greed - and ulitmately decides that this run down city needs a hero.

This is a book full of action and wise cracking. The artwork is unique but not exactly to my...more
Sean
Nightwing gets how own book and town (Bludhaven) and its fun. Dick Grayson is almost completely out of Batman’s shadow and writer Chuck Dixon really lets him develop as a character. The setting, villains, supporting characters, etc., are all new to Nightwing and its great meeting these through his eyes. Scott McDaniel’s art is good but a little frenetic at times. Overall a good fun book.
Angela
Interesting. Nightwing is sent by Batman to solve a crime originating in Bludhaven. It's nothing like Gotham because the police are corrupt and gangs run the streets. Nightwing realises he can make a difference, but worries about letting down Batman. This series has potential.
Abhinav
You can find the full review over at The Founding Fields:

As a fan of the current iteration of Nightwing in the New 52, through the pen of Kyle Higgins, I wanted to read more about the character’s background. Chuck Dixon’s original run back in 1996, which saw the hero travel to Blüdhaven and set up a base there for a temporary mission that becomes somewhat permanent, was the beginning of my old-school Nightwing-fix. The tone and mood of this version of the...more
Orla
Nightwing was always one of my favourite DC characters and it's been a while since I meant back and read any of his original stories from Bludhaven, I'd actually forgotten must of it.

Dixon does well paced mystery very well and it's complimented by the sketch-like art style. It gives everything a noir feel that work very well.
Katie
Nightwing finally gets his own storyline and is sent by Batman to solve the mysteries of Bludhaven. The writing is good and the storyline builds well. Plus, compared to Kyle Higgins current run it's easy to see where Higgins is drawing inspiration from. That being said, the artwork is busy and the colors are flat and boring. There were multiple scenes where I gave up figuring out what was going on in the panels. Hopefully, that gets better with volume 2.
Luke
Jul 30, 2011 Luke added it
This graphic novel started my interest in comics. I read this and wanted to know more about Nightwing and how he came to be in Bludhaven.
Because of this novel, I now own an extensive library of Bat family titles.
Great story and set up for the rest of the series.
Christen
I love Nightwing, but I often feel like Dick's character is more dynamic when he's working alongside Batman. His gallows humor always amuses me, though, and he's up against some stiff competition for Bludhaven's turf. The artwork is a bit too busy for me.
Nate
What went so wrong with comics in the 1990's and how did they fix it in the 2000's? Under normal circumstances I like Chuck Dixon and am not opposed to the idea of a Nightwing series but this really didn't do it for me and the artwork was hard to look at.
Justin
After a slow start, this one builds pretty well. The art's too busy for me, though, and I don't especially like the coloring (although I'm not sure how much the problem's exacerbated by the pencils).
J.R.
Gosh I love finding a good series like this. I'm catching up on DC stuff and its Nightwing's turn. Nicely done. Love the "new" take on BB. @Dixonverse
Becky
I found the art a bit confusing at times. There were some odd angles that I couldn't really figure out.But it was a pretty good comic.
TJ Shelby
Bludhaven welcomes Nightwing and mafiosos at every turn. What isn't to like (aside from his horrible haircut)?
Rita Webb
I think Nightwing has got to be my favorite comic book character ever.
Kurt Rocourt
The book that proved that Dick Grayson was out of Bruce Waynes shadow.
Kathleen
Dick moves to Bludhaven and gets his very first real job: tending bar.
Jena
Story is good, but the art is distractingly bad.
Katie Walsh
Katie Walsh marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Bessie
Bessie added it
Aug 19, 2014
Bishop
Bishop added it
Aug 14, 2014
Deb Hunt
Deb Hunt marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
  • Batman: Life After Death
  • Batman: Officer Down
  • Birds of Prey, Vol. 9: Dead of Winter
  • Batgirl, Vol. 1: Batgirl Rising
  • Superman & Batman: Generations, An Imaginary Tale (Elseworlds)
  • Red Robin, Volume 2: Collision
  • Batman Confidential, Vol. 1: Rules of Engagement
  • Batman: Long Shadows
  • Superman/Batman, Vol. 8:  Finest Worlds
  • Batman: War Games, Act 2: Tides
Charles "Chuck" Dixon is an American comic book writer, perhaps best-known for long runs on Batman titles in the 1990s.

His earliest comics work was writing Evangeline first for Comico Comics in 1984 (then later for First Comics, who published the on-going series), on which he worked with his then-wife, the artist Judith Hunt. His big break came one year later, when editor Larry Hama hired him to w...more
More about Chuck Dixon...
The Hobbit: Graphic Novel Dean Koontz's Frankenstein, Volume 1: Prodigal Son Batman: Cataclysm Batman: Bruce Wayne, Murderer? Robin: Year One