Start by marking “The Day Christ Died” as Want to Read:
The Day Christ Died

The Day Christ Died

"This is a book about the most dramatic day in the history of the world, the day on which Jesus of Nazareth died. It opens at 6 P.M.—the beginning of the Hebrew day—with Jesus and ten of the apostles coming through the pass between the Mount of Olives and the Mount of Offense en route to Jerusalem and the Last Supper. It closes at 4 P.M. the following afternoon, when Jesus ...more
Published March 1st 1991 by HarperOne (first published 1957)

K.D. Absolutely
Apr 18, 2014 K.D. Absolutely rated it really liked it
The Gospels + Historical Facts + Jim Bishop's imagination + Jim Bishop's skillful writing = Very Good Book.

This simple equation summarizes how this book made me more reflective (and almost pious) during this Holy Week.

This book chronicles the last hours of Jesus' stay on earth. It starts with Jesus and his disciples' entry to Jerusalem, to the Last Supper, to his Passion and the taking down of His body from the cross. The writing is detailed and vivid with Bishop's imagination providing the add
Kathryn
Dec 16, 2013 Kathryn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a confirmed Jew I had a strong belief in God. As a young adult I had spiritual grounding but no home. As I longed for God and examined my beliefs, I was given "The Day Christ Died" by Tim Bishop. This book, though a novel, was grounded in the Bible and provided a context for the life and death of Christ that made me realize that Christianity is not a departure from the God of Abraham, but the next step in our relationship with Him that brings Jews and gentiles into His presence. It also ...more
Terri Lynn
Mar 16, 2012 Terri Lynn rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction
Actually this book is mis-shelved. It should be under "Fiction" and not "non-fiction". I don't mean to ruffle anyone's feathers , ah hell, maybe I do. I get tired of tip-toeing around people who actually believe in ancient mythology and want me to pretend that they are not ignorant for doing so.

Sorry folks but I am an historian and I am here to tell you that there was NO historical Jesus. None, I don't care what Mama and the Preacher told you. I can show you (if you are up to a very long overse
Sam
Jun 25, 2013 Sam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book during Lenten/Easter season 2012. A very insightful and illuminating book about the last day of Jesus' life on earth. The hour by hour account begins with the Last Supper where Judas leaves abruptly to betray his Lord. From there the drama elevates in the Garden of Gethsemane (The Olive Press), where Jesus feels the pressure of the ordeal and pain that is awaiting him. He cries out to God with anguish and distress. The accounts of the high priests and the Roman occupation is ...more
Rossrn Nunamaker
Jan 29, 2012 Rossrn Nunamaker rated it really liked it
This books pulls together the story of Jesus' final day on earth as a man from all parts of the Bible as well as from scholarly text known then (it was written in the late 1950s). In doing so, the reader is given a chronological and coherent story with background for better understanding of the times. The latter part of which helped quite a bit in understanding some of the context.

The author specifically notes upfront that he is not going to notate sources throughout as he felt it would pull the
Tracy
Sep 08, 2012 Tracy rated it it was amazing
I read this book when I was in high school. It helped me to understand more clearly what Jesus did for me. What pain he must have felt on that cross? I have kept the book all of these years which tells you how good I found it to be.
Clay Davis
Dec 22, 2012 Clay Davis rated it it was amazing
The best book about the time, place and events in history
John Rhoads
Nov 06, 2016 John Rhoads rated it it was amazing
The first-time I read it was shortly after my father died. Found atop a desk he used to design things and prepare correspondence with. I knew he was a believer as a youngster, but something made me ask Ollie ,his second wife, if I could take. She said yes and it became part of him that I have yet today. To my knowledge, it contains the most graphic, anatomically correct description, ever written of the price Christ paid-in-full for your salvation and mine. Pain is a difficult thing to describe. ...more
Eric
Written by Jim Bishop, author of The Day Christ Was Born and The Day Lincoln Was Shot, it is an interesting but at times boring account based on the prevalent scholarship in the 1950s. I'm not enough of an expert on Biblical archaeology to judge the book's credibility or truthfulness, but I didn't read the book to get a history lesson.

I bought this at a used bookstore about a year and a half ago because it was cheap and looked interesting. As a life-long Christian, I'm familiar with the Passion
Greg
Mar 13, 2015 Greg rated it really liked it
This is an interesting book. It is a novel, but it attempts rigorous historical accuracy. Bishop essentially gets the message correct, and even spaces lines that are sometimes beautiful. “To understand one’s smallness was, in itself, insufficient. One had to practice humility, preferably publicly, as he had done.” (40) Additionally, Bishop adds what is a reasonable reflection of Jesus’s feelings at times throughout the book.“Jesus stood silent. It must have seemed ironic, even to him, to see ...more
Mary Ann
Mar 22, 2010 Mary Ann rated it it was amazing
This is a book I have tried to read for the past three Lents. It requires much attention and is a very slow read since there is so much detail. Luckily, this Lent I have found the needed time required for reading the book. It is very interesting and quite enlightening. The book is separated into the last 24 hours of Christ's life with what was probably going on during that hour based on the research of the author. It also contains sections on the culture of the Jewish people of that time, ...more
Chris
Jul 18, 2016 Chris rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I have ever read! This is a narrative, hour by hour, of the last 24 hours Jesus Christ had on the Earth. What made this book great was the way the author looked at each event through the eyes of every character(the apostles, Caiphus, Pontius Pilate, etc.)to truly understand the Passion of Christ. A must read for anyone who wants to learn more about the events beginning with the Last Supper to Jesus's last moments on the cross.
Clay Leonard
I appreciated Bishop's quality of research very much. His writing is easy enough to read, and his descriptions serve their purpose well - they give you a sense of presence in the narrative. The most frustrating aspect of the book for me was Bishop's Catholic bias. In some places it was tolerable, even though I disagreed with him. In other sections he was so forceful about it that it was downright obnoxious.
David
Jan 16, 2014 David rated it it was amazing
A classic rendition of the Easter story. Bishop goes into great detail to describe the culture and customs of first century Jerusalem and its Roman conquerors. Bishop is a journalist rather than a theologian and places emphasis on the everyday life of normal people. It is an interesting perspective on a story that can never be told too many times.
Andrew Scholes
Apr 18, 2015 Andrew Scholes rated it liked it
It was interesting to read of the various history pertaining to the society at that time. He was reasonably accurate when it came to writing about what scripture also discusses. I did have some issue with some of the stances he took although I later found out that he took some Catholic positions (Mary had no other children).
David
Jul 21, 2007 David rated it liked it
There was a time in my life when I read this book every Easter. As Jim Bishop's books go, this one is not excessively long, it is faithful to the hour-by-hour format he uses so well in his books about the Lincoln and Kennedy assassinations, and he includes chapters that give the reader a better understanding of the Holy Land of that time.
Alex
Jun 27, 2012 Alex rated it really liked it
Shelves: religion
Great book. I love the historical backgrounds that it takes you through. One cannot read and really understand an event without understanding it's time or era. The societies of Provincial Rome, Judea, and Jewish religious practice all played their part in such a profound event in human history.

Well written and informative!
Joann
Mar 29, 2013 Joann rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent book that brings you through,hour by hour, the time leading up to the crucifixion of Jesus Christ. It is very moving to read during Lent. Each year, I re-read parts of this book on Holy Thursday as part of my devotion during Adoration.
Tressa
Apr 01, 2013 Tressa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history, religion
This is a wonderfully detailed hour-by-hour account of the day Jesus died. This book details the last hours of his life and suffering, and includes some interesting history about the culture at the time of his life.

Lindsay P
Sep 19, 2011 Lindsay P rated it it was amazing
Really interesting book that paints a good picture of what life was probably really like back then. I haven't read it in a long time, but it's one of those books I keep because I'd really like to revisit it, probably over and over.
AnnaSophia
Apr 22, 2016 AnnaSophia rated it it was amazing
Something I read during Lent and Holy week each year for the last 11 years. It js an intense accounting of the last 24 hours of Christ's life on Earth. There are regional maps of the area at the time which help you understand time and place. Humbling.
Darlene Ferland
Apr 17, 2013 Darlene Ferland rated it it was amazing
Anyone who is interested in the hours leading to Christ's crucifixion will find this book riveting. This is the second time I have read Mr. Bishop's book during Lent and my stay in the hospital. How inconsequential my problems are in view of what Christ endured for all of us.
Karen
Aug 07, 2016 Karen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian
Bishop's book is now somewhat outdated historically and archeologically, but it's still a great read to get the feel for the actual events of Holy Week. I try to read large portions of it each year on Good Friday.
Julie
Jul 04, 2008 Julie rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2008
This book is a intense retelling of the last day of Christ, beginning at 6pm the day before the crucifixtion and ending at 4pm the day of the crucifixtion. The detail and intensity with which this is written was so impactful I would spend days or weeks between each chapter.
Jim
Apr 09, 2016 Jim rated it it was amazing
Great book, 2nd time I have read. Deeply researched by Jim Bishop who was an accomplished investigative journalist. You could almost say this is a devotional. I try to make a point to re-read this every so many years.
Klaudia
Jun 25, 2013 Klaudia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I remember having this read to me in Sunday School back in the 70's. Picked it up at some used book store and re-read it in my forties. Still powerful. Such an incredible snapshot of that time and made it easier for me to understand biblical writing. Wonderful book.
Yeshua
Dec 16, 2013 Yeshua rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religon
Despite the controversy surrounding this book and the 1980 movie (of the same title), Mr Bishop expresses a sincere faith in Jesus Christ, as the Messiah.

He in no way, violates Holy Writ; but takes the reader through a 'plausible' rendering of Christs' last hours.
rebecca
Jun 25, 2016 rebecca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this is part of my lenten reading...when I get to it.I like the hour by hour format...conducive to bite size reading and meditation. I try to read each year at this time....do not think I have ever finished it, tho.
K.e. French
May 27, 2013 K.e. French rated it it was amazing
Shelves: relig
And emotional, yet intriguing read. The book was rather compelling and the research seemingly done well at the time. Jim, did a great job and it's probably one of my favorite books about the Christ.
Lorna Stremcha
Aug 14, 2015 Lorna Stremcha rated it liked it
A recap of Jesus's last days on earth. It is a story of betrayal and the crucifixion. It was okay. The book mainly just tells about HIS days and not about his life.
  • The Message of Acts: The Spirit, the Church, and the World
  • Living Above the Level of Mediocrity
  • From Christ to Pre-Reformation: The Rise and Growth of the Church in Its Cultural, Intellectual, and Political Context (Church History #1)
  • Blog: Understanding the Information Reformation That's Changing Your World
  • The Greatest Story Ever Told
  • The Cross Examination of Jesus Christ
  • Evidence That Demands a Verdict, 2
  • Descartes's Secret Notebook: A True Tale of Mathematics, Mysticism, and the Quest to Understand the Universe
  • Pontius Pilate
  • Truth Is Stranger Than It Used to Be: Biblical Faith in a Postmodern Age
  • Scientific Creationism
  • Sister Aimee: The Life of Aimee Semple McPherson
  • The Uneasy Conscience of Modern Fundamentalism
  • Understanding Jesus: Cultural Insights into the Words and Deeds of Christ
  • Boundaries Face to Face: How to Have That Difficult Conversation You've Been Avoiding
  • Biblical Exegesis: A Beginner's Handbook
  • Reporting World War II Vol. 1: American Journalism 1938-1944
  • Complete Guide to Film Scoring
James Alonzo "Jim" Bishop (November 21, 1907 – July 26, 1987) was an American journalist and author.
Born in Jersey City, New Jersey, he dropped out of school after eighth grade. In 1923, he studied typing, shorthand and bookkeeping, and in 1929 began work as a copy boy at the New York Daily News. In 1930, he got a job as a cub reporter at New York Daily Mirror, where he worked until 1943, when he
More about Jim Bishop...

“Believe me, all of you, when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; but if not, at least believe on the strength of what I am doing.” 0 likes
“Again, you have heard it was said of old: ‘Do not swear falsely, but you must redeem your promises made under oath to the Lord.’ I, on the contrary, declare to you: do not swear at all, whether by heaven, for it is God’s throne; or by the earth, for it is his footstool; or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the Great King; nor should you swear by your own head, for you cannot make a single hair white or black. Let your speech be ‘yes,’ when you mean yes, and ‘no,’ when you mean no. Whatever is in excess of these expressions is due to the evil in the world.” 0 likes