Start by marking “Dropsie Avenue: The Neighborhood” as Want to Read:
Dropsie Avenue: The Neighborhood

Dropsie Avenue: The Neighborhood (The Contract With God Trilogy #3)

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  445 ratings  ·  38 reviews
In Dropsie Avenue: The Neighborhood, Eisner graphically traces the social trajectory of this mythic avenue over four centuries, creating a sweeping panorama of the city and its waves of new residents, whose stories present an unending “story of life, death, and resurrection.”
Published December 17th 2006 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published January 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Dropsie Avenue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dropsie Avenue

Dan
Jun 24, 2009 Dan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Will Eisner Fans, Urban Planners, Jews
I read this book because I had read the first book in the Contract with God trilogy.

This graphic novel is the story of "Dropsie Avenue" a fictional neighborhood in the bronx that is also featured prominently in the other two books in the series A Contract with God and A Life Force. The story follows the neighborhood from when it was a farm owned by a Dutch Family, till it became an English, then predominantly Irish, Italian, Jewish, Hispanic, and Black. Changin with each wave of immigration or m
Jason
I have become a huge fan of Will Eisner. I loved this book as well. Good book for anyone who wants to have an experience with graphic novel medium. They will never think of it as just comics..
Jason
This stunning historical panorama of one Bronx neighborhood--mostly focused on one lot on one street--is the culmination of Will Eisner's amazing trilogy (the first two are Contract with God and A Life Force). It begins with the English displacing the Dutch, skips rapidly through a few centuries, but then concentrates on the twentieth century as waves of immigrants and migrants move in and partially displace the previous waves--Irish, Italians, Jews, Puerto Ricans, Hasids--often with significant ...more
Kelly Lynn Thomas
Dropsie Avenue is a made-up neighborhood, but it echoes many real neighborhoods and towns I've known. Many of the characters aren't likeable: they're racist and mean-spirited, but some of them are kind and loving. The book's true main character isn't any one of the people, although we do get to know some of them quite well. The true main character is Dropsie Avenue itself, in all its messy, gritty, dirty, glory. And even the racist, mean people love it and call it home. So you do feel something ...more
Harun Harahap
Di buku ketiga ini kita diajak untuk melihat bagaimana PERUBAHAN terjadi. Sebuah jalan bernama Dropsie menjadi saksi dari jalannya perubahan tersebut. Dropsie dulu adalah kawasan elite dengan penghuni dari kelas bangsawan. Seiring waktu bergulir, kawasan elite itu secara bertahap mengalami perubahan.

Masuknya berbagai etnis dan ras membawa budaya masing-masing ke jalan dropsie. Keberagaman itu menjadi akar mula perselisihan. Rendahnya toleransi membuat masing-masing pihak merasa dirinya lebih ti
Lorenzo Berardi
Last summer I rented a room for a few months. It was more than a furnished room. It was a personal room full of books, dvd movies, Russian dictionaries, photos, a couple of cactuses at the window and abandoned white socks in the corners.
The girl who rented me the room left there a lot of her things because she just had to do a three months stage at a cinema summer festival in Milan.

Dropsie Avenue by Will Eisner was packed among a ton of Jean Claude Izzo noir books. At that time there were aftern
Nicole
Wonderful. Amazing. It's not just that the illustrations are great or that the storyline is strong. It's more than that. In this book of the Contract with God trilogy, Eisner depicts the history of Dropsie Avenue over the years, beginning with 1870 and going well past the 60s. The depiction isn't just about how the land has changed but the rotation of people, memories and how that has affected a community a neighborhood. Reading book 3, reminded me of how I grew up, and where I am now. Not in th ...more
Raul
a vivid and materialistic representation of a neighbourhood's rise and fall through a period of 100 years or so. what lacks for the 5 stars review is pointing out not just to the people but also to the structural context ( capitalism) in which they live ( indirectly assumed, but only through the money form) as reason for the downfall of the quartier.
Mylesgorton
absolute masterpiece - should be read by anyone who loves graphic art and/or social history - traces the development of a neighbourhood in america from field to ghetto and the various groups that live there and their interactions - I've read this more than 3 times!
Chris Andersen
Dropsie Avenue chronicles the life of a neighborhood in typical Eisner fashion, with economical and punchy storytelling. Isolated moments show the best and worst that people are capable of and how everyone is (justifiably) afraid of change. Due to it's sprawling nature (it covers over a hundred years in less than 200 pages) the characterization of individual players is a little thin, leaving them more as archetypes with flourishes of individuality rather than living, breathing characters, but no ...more
Peterk
The artwork initially put me off a bit - I like a lot of the buildings and scenery (especially the closing full page image is genius and shows what the man is capable of, mood wise) but I am not a fan of how Eisner portrays people, somehow they seem present in a world that is not theirs. The story itself gets a lot better towards the end than the first few pages suggest, as things slow down gradually and you see protagonists reappear and roles change. I'd definitely recommend this though, as it ...more
Matt
Actually found the hardcover edition for fifteen bucks at Modern Myths in Northampton, MA. It was good, Eisner only gets better throughout his career. Great characters, and Eisner toys with a lot of comic art effects that I think I take for granted (see any scenes in this book where there's a traumatic fire), but because Eisner's plots are a bit less enthralling than your typical graphic novel nowadays these stick out more. Take that how you please, a special thanks to N.C. Christopher Couch's c ...more
Josh
Mar 10, 2008 Josh rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Josh by: DeSavia
Shelves: comics
a good, last chapter in the "Contract" Trilogy, but a puzzling last page. If anyone reads this ever, gimme a call. I'd like to discuss. Oh, and P.S. - if duder who made "the Wire" never read these, I'd be shocked. Not that there's any silly police-talk in here, but similarly themed at their cores. Though this has more compelling characters. and is generally good, where the Wire is not. man! this review was only going to be like 3 lines, and then I go thinking about that show, and I can't help bu ...more
Asna
Menariknya isi komik ini menggambarkan pertumbuhan/ perkembangan pemukiman di Jalan Raya Dropsie yang terus mengalami pasang surut, dari pemukiman orang kaya perlahan menurun kelas sosialnya karena pembauran sampai akhirnya jadi pemukiman orang miskin (dan berbahaya?) lalu kembali naik kelas lagi.. Dan seiring perubahan tersebut, individu2 tertentu yang terikat dengan pemukiman di Dropsie juga berkembang, menetap, pindah lalu balik lagi karena kterikatan masa lalu mereka dengan pemukiman Dropsie ...more
George Marshall
Like so much Eisner- awful sentimentality, melodrama (think of Chaplin at his worst) stereotyped characters and, even worse than usual, some truly clunking dialogue. Add to this the absurdity that the only ethnic group passing through Dropsie Avenue that is kindly and tolerant of others are the Jews...Oy vey!

It still gets four stars because Eisner is a genius of character drawing and storyline- I just wish he could have worked with someone else!
Aaron Broadwell
The art was terrific, but the storytelling quickly became repetitive. Okay, I get the idea — each group that lives in this part of the Bronx thinks that it is better than the newcomers and the neighborhood slowly gets worse and worse. But because we are going through decades, we don't have any characters to follow, and it quickly just becomes the same thing over and over again, with differently dressed ethnic types despising each other. Feh!
Fransisca
Trilogi gila dari Will Eisner, buku terakhir.
Simpel namun rumit, sekelumit kisah dari berdirinya Dropsie avenue, masa puncak dan akhir dari Dropsie Avenue itu sendiri, dan awal dari kemungkinan Dropsie Avenue Mark II di akhir cerita.
Mengenaskan tapi memang kenyataannya seperti itulah hidup, akan ada masa-masa gemilang, dan akhirnya tergantung dari si empunya, akankah berakhir baik atau hancur sama sekali.
Brilliant
Cem
Aug 02, 2011 Cem added it
Sadly this is my first Eisner and being a comic geek, this is an embarrassing statement. In any case, this is an incredible work. Eisner's quick moving panels and authentic dialogue make this story of a changing neighborhood a template for all industrial societies. The characters are so immaculately drawn and voiced that the effect is almost biblical. A brilliant must for any comics fan.
Mark
I added this to my list because our local library began featuring graphic novels on a special shelf, and I gathered that Eisner was a classic practitioner. In this one, he traces one neighborhood in the South Bronx from its initial settlement to the modern day. It was an engaging experience, but I guess I'd have to say that as a historian, Will Eisner is a good cartoonist.
Roberta
I haven't been in New York yet, but reading Will Eisner makes me feel like I lived there for some decades. People move, people change, but the neighbourhood stands still. Movies and books usually tell us the story of one or few persons, not the story of one or few buildings. I love this changing in the point of view.
I definetly wanna read more.
Ann-Kristine
Very interesting. I'll definitely have to read more by this author.
Paulo Fernandes
My favorite Eisner so far. If you consider comics to be too childish and superficial, well, you've never read Will Eisner. "Dropsie Avenue" is pretty much a sociological study on human interactions. And all the themes brought to surface in this novel are treated with a genuine artistic sensibility.
Edmund Davis-Quinn
“Life on Dropsie Avenue” was a fast read. It’s about the rise, decline and fall, and rise and fall again of the Bronx. Tales of racism, and ethnic clashes. Of payoffs, and bribes. Of New York, wonderful and corrupt city that it is. The Bronx literally was burning in the 70s. ***1/2 (4 GR)
Alex Cunningham
May 17, 2007 Alex Cunningham rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: neighborhoods
Helluva way to get to know yourself, to dive into the history of a block in New York City and expect to find a story tight enough to fit into a book, and strong enough to carry you through the inevitable tragedy. Good thing it was Will Eisner who tried - and accomplished - this.
Whatsupchuck
An ambitious narrative spanning several generations of one geographic spot. This read was very enlightening as to how neighborhoods grow, evolve, degenerate, and how those living there effect and are effected by their surroundings.
miaaa
"Pada akhirnya gedung cuma gedung. Tapi manusialah yang membuatnya menjadi pemukiman."
- Rowena

sepertinya empati menjadi sesuatu yang sama sekali tidak diketahui oleh para pemukim di jalan raya Dropsie ini.
Nadia Fadhillah
dari ketiga buku trilogi graphic-novel A Contract With God, aku paling suka cerita yang ada di buku ketiga ini. Fokusnya jelas; sejarah Jalan Raya Dropsie dan segala jenis manusia yang pernah ada di atasnya.
Greg Allan Holcomb
I can't believe the history of a street could be so engrossing. This was the one Eisner book I brought to get signed, as at the time i had loaned out Family Matters.
J Decker

Excellent graphic novel following the development of a street in New York, NY from farm land to modern urban neighborhood. Easy read, highly recommended!
João Fernandes
As pequenas histórias da Dropsie Avenue, um pequeno bairro que tanto pode ser em Nova-Iorque como em Londres, Paris ou outra grande metropole.
  • Why I Hate Saturn
  • 5 is the Perfect Number
  • The Ballad of Halo Jones
  • Daredevil: Love and War
  • Notes for a War Story
  • Moebius 2: Arzach & Other Fantasy Stories (The Collected Fantasies of Jean Giraud, #2)
  • Lovecraft
  • Clan Apis
  • 30 Days of Night, Vol. 6: Spreading the Disease
  • 30 Days of Night, Vol. 7: Eben and Stella
  • Only the End of the World Again
  • The Rabbi's Cat 2
  • 30 Days of Night, Vol. 8: Red Snow
  • The Color of Heaven (Color Trilogy, #3)
WILL EISNER was born on March 6, 1917 in Brooklyn, New York. By the time of his death on January 3, 2005, Will Eisner was recognized internationally as one of the giants in the field of sequential art, a term he coined.

In a career that spanned nearly eight decades -- from the dawn of the comic book to the advent of digital comics - Will Eisner was truly the 'Father of the Graphic Novel' and the 'O
More about Will Eisner...
A Contract With God and Other Tenement Stories Comics and Sequential Art The Contract With God Trilogy: Life on Dropsie Avenue Graphic Storytelling and Visual Narrative Will Eisner's New York: Life in the Big City