The Shoemaker's Son (Time-Travelling Assassins, Prequel #2)
read book

The Shoemaker's Son (A Head For Assassination)

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  20 ratings  ·  12 reviews
++ A short story ++

1807. As a young boy, Brogan O'Malley encounters the strange and enigmatic Darcy, on the streets of Edinburgh. Ten years pass and Brogan, now a petty thief, meets her once again and is surprised to see she has not aged one day.

A further ten years on, it's 1827 and Brogan's life has taken a turn for the worse. About to become involved with unscrupulous bo...more
ebook, First, 32 pages
Published October 12th 2011 by Smashwords (first published October 9th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Shoemaker's Son, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shoemaker's Son

Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare BlakeSilence by Becca FitzpatrickClockwork Prince by Cassandra ClareThe Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle HodkinShattered Souls by Mary Lindsey
Best Cover Fall/Winter 2011
162nd out of 404 books — 1,614 voters
The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey NiffeneggerOutlander by Diana Gabaldon11/22/63 by Stephen KingThe Time Machine by H.G. WellsTime and Again by Jack Finney
The Best Time Travel Books of All Time
147th out of 328 books — 763 voters

More lists with this book...

Tej
Well I read the first delightful appetizer Cigs, Bolan & Strange Men with Guns which had me so hooked, I was angry because it was so damn short at 12 pages.

Well this is three times longer, yay, unfortunately, so was the price but never mind about that, its worth it for this is three times more entertaining too. The first novella introduced us to Darcy, a modern day office worker girl, whose life was about to change.

In this second prequel novella, the author grabs us by the ahem, and throws u...more
Brooke Johnson
“The Shoemaker’s Son” is the second prequel short for Gayle’s soon to be released debut novel A Head for Assassination. I’ve been wary of reading indie authors in the past (I know, hypocrite), but I’m glad that I set that prejudice aside. It honestly isn’t fair to anyone.

“The Shoemaker’s Son” did not disappoint (though I wanted to keep reading!). Gayle’s writing is fantastic, and the characters are colorful, especially Darcy, who is clearly out of her element in early nineteenth century Edinburg...more
T.
I enjoyed this one. The plot was a bit predictable, especially after Darcy reveals her occupation. Characters were well done, in my opinion. Formatting issues plagued the copy I read on my Nook, though they didn't fully detract from the story itself (just a nit for anal-retentive folks like me). I'm not normally a reader of historical fiction, so can't speak to the accuracy of the piece in terms of the setting, but I thought the setting as a whole was well-done as well.

It was a very quick read f...more
Debbie
I thought this was very fun! I truly look forward to reading more in the series. I agree with one of the readers about preferring more detail, but I understand the nature of a short story or novella. I also agreed with another reader about hoping Brogan gets dental work in the future!! There is one line in the story that refers to his teeth being rotted and black and I admit that this distracted me while imagining him throughout the rest of the story! Still, small beans. I want more.
Glynn James
I really enjoyed the first prequel to Gayle's soon to be released debut novel, and wondered where she would take me next. Everywhere is the answer!
This story jumps through timelines and shows the effects on a man's life, right from when he was very young, of even the briefest of meetings with the a stranger.
Another fantastic story. Will there be another prequel? Or do we get the novel next! (either would be good!)
I want more...
T.K. Toppin
Once again, we're introduced to the charming Darcy, time-travelling assassin. This time, she meets an even charming Brogan, three times, in three different decades. Engrossingly quick, this tale had me grinning (as did Cigs, Bolan & Strange Men With Guns) and wanting more. A simple tale with great characters and snappy humour, time-travelling, and a glimpse into Edinburgh in the 1800s. What's not to like?
Chantal Halpin
I just love Darcy and jumped at the chance to read more about her - she is sassy and kick ass while still being genuinely likable. This prequel is even better than the last (Cigs, Bolan and Strange Men with Guns) and I'm already looking forward to the next one :)
John
Even though this is just a short story or novella, I really enjoyed it. The story is well written and interesting. I look forward to reading more in the Time Travelling Assassin series. Keep them coming.
Jessica(WonderlandReviews)
I am not a fan of short storys,I am a detail gal myself. I have to know the when's and where's the why's.
Although The Shoemaker's Son was very well written, the details that painted the picture extremely vivid. I could not help but feel lost through out the whole thing.Perhaps because it isnt the first in the series, but I just kept asking, why is he here, why did she become an assasin, why a thief.

I loved the story of it, time traveling assasin's is a win no matter what. I just wish the detail...more
Alex Le
Very well written and beautifully crafted, this is one of those stories you want to re-read several times to make sure you've caught every twist and turn, and then it lingers in your mind when you're away from it as you think it over.
I loved the character of Darcy and I can't wait for the new series to come out in 2012. That will definitely be one for my TBR list. Meanwhile I'm going to pick up the first book in this series, Cigs, Bolan and Strange Men with Guns to find out what Darcy was up to...more
Georgeanna
Loved this!!! Darcy is a delight. The two prequels have more than roped me in--I can't wait for the novel to come out! I don't want to add any spoilers, but I sure hope there's a good dental plan in Brogan's future ;-))
Truly, truly looking forward to 'A Head For Assassination' by Gayle Ramage--and anything else she writes.
Denise Kruse
A wee bit predictable.
André Caniato
André Caniato marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Zlatathebookworm
Zlatathebookworm marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2013
Ogechi Wosu
Ogechi Wosu marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2013
Daniel J. Weber
Daniel J. Weber marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2013
Et
Et marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2013
Gayle
Nov 20, 2012 Gayle marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: i-wrote-this
Kelvin Chua
Kelvin Chua is currently reading it
Sep 18, 2012
Heidi Miller
Heidi Miller marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2012
Ilona Camilleri
Ilona Camilleri marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2012
Caryn
Caryn marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2012
Eyc
Eyc added it
Mar 25, 2013
Evette Johnson
Evette Johnson is currently reading it
Aug 12, 2012
Lance Greenfield
Lance Greenfield marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2012
Gayle currently lives in Scotland with her family and is trying to grow her own TARDIS.
More about Gayle Ramage...
Cigs, Bolan & Strange Men With Guns (Time-Travelling Assassins, Prequel #1) The Whispering Tombs (Quality Times, #1) Three French Hens The Visitor (and Other Stories) Three French Hens (A Christmas Collection) - Revised Edition