Start by marking “Little Cloud” as Want to Read:
Little Cloud

Little Cloud

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,406 Ratings  ·  150 Reviews
Published March 19th 2001 by Puffin Books (first published January 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Little Cloud, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Cloud

The Dancing Salmon by Lone Alaskan GypsyThe Star by Michele BrezaWhy the Sun and the Moon Live in the Sky by Elphinstone DayrellOwl Moon by Jane YolenLittle Cloud by Eric Carle
Picture Books About the Sky
5th out of 107 books — 12 voters
The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleBrown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleThe Mixed-Up Chameleon by Eric CarleThe Greedy Python by Richard Buckley
Best of Eric Carle
75th out of 100 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Atsupui Dogbla
The Little Cloud is a very interesting story that helps children develop their imaginations, and perception of things they may see closer or farther. Young children may learn how a little cloud could get bigger and bigger, and becomes a giant cloud with the other to make rain fall. Through this book, school age children may experience the speed, and the movement little cloud can do. This story emphasizes on uniqueness and togetherness: whether you're small or big, you have your part in the socie ...more
Erin
Feb 22, 2015 Erin rated it really liked it
Little Cloud is all about a cloud in the sky and how it transforms itself to look like various animals or objects. As a simple story with simple finger-paint style illustrations, one might think this book may be a bit boring, but it certainly is not nor are the activities that can be inspired from it. As a read-aloud storytime book children could do cloud-like movements such as pushing up with their arms or spreading them wide or narrow to show how the cloud rises, grows, and shrinks; they could ...more
Gianni Llano
Jan 16, 2015 Gianni Llano rated it liked it
It's nice to read this book when the discussion of weather is brought to a class of younger children. This book will open discussion on how they too see clouds moving and changing shape.
Sarah Sammis
Sep 03, 2007 Sarah Sammis rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed, pc
Little Cloud is one of Carle's more recent books. Carle started illustrating and writing books in the late 1960s. Of the Carle books I've read there are only two that I don't enjoy: The Very Hungry Caterpillar and The Very Greedy Snake as both are focused so heavily on gluttony.Little Cloud instead teaches through example the importance of being an individual and being a contributing member of a group.

Until the end, each page has a different shape that Little Cloud has created on his own. There'
Laura Dowsett
Jun 25, 2012 Laura Dowsett rated it liked it
This book, much like The Little Seed (also by Eric Carle) details the life of a single cloud. I used this book in my year 1 class as part of a core text literacy lesson. It really go the children thinking about how clouds move through the sky and change shape, size and colour.

Additionally, we had been studying the water cycle and this book was handy to link to the water cycle.

The book is relatively short and follows a very simple repetitive pattern, but was still very much enjoyed in my year 1
Tricia
Apr 09, 2012 Tricia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science
I love all of the Eric Carle books, and I was pleased to add this one to my collection. This book is about a little cloud who becomes different shapes, and then at the end rains. I used this book to introduce the water cycle to my class. I read this book to them, and then we did an experiment where we took dixie cups half full of water, and then sealed them off in Ziploc bags. We then hung the bags in the window and then observed the water cycle throughout the day. Love it!
Jaycie Shearer
The complicated illustrations in the book are surprisingly simple. Simple because it is merely a cloud in different shapes, however the materials used to portray the simple images are very complex, as the author used tissue paper to create the illustrations. The text goes nicely with the pictures because it explains why he is transforming into different objects. The lesson in the book is independence and being whatever you want to be, with an overall theme of teamwork. In the end, the cloud join ...more
Kelly Van Pelt
Jun 08, 2012 Kelly Van Pelt rated it it was amazing
Shelves: eric-carle
Great jumping off point for a cloud or weather unit. So fun to see what happens with little cloud.
Erin Lynn
Oct 25, 2015 Erin Lynn rated it really liked it
I read this book to one of the little boys I babysit. It's pretty cute.
Yiovana
Dec 03, 2015 Yiovana rated it it was amazing
This book tells a story about a little cloud that drifts apart from the other clouds. He goes and explores different shapes and turns into different things like a plane, a sheep and clown. He then goes back to the others and then it rains. I liked this book because it has an open ended discussion about how clouds move and children can give their different ideas on the different shapes they see in the clouds. Many activities can also come about this book, I know children can engage with it and en ...more
Lily
Feb 16, 2016 Lily rated it it was amazing
This is such a cute story and the illustrations are fantastic. It gives off a wager color feel and brings the story to life. This is a cute story about a little cloud that is floating through the sky with his family. He is slower and ends up drifting apart from them. As he goes on his little adventure he forms different shapes as he floats through the sky. In the end he meets up with all the other clouds and they all rain.
Hector Gutierrez
Feb 16, 2016 Hector Gutierrez rated it did not like it
I didn't really get the point of his book, the illustrations were nice and children could easily imitate them but the story did not really have a point. Looking very deep into it it teaches independence and teamwork, but it is not something the students would be able to figure out right away. I honestly did not see a simple lesson or feel good feeling after reading this book.. :(
Beloved Girl
Jan 31, 2016 Beloved Girl rated it really liked it
Shelves: j1-j3
When I was young, i loved to see clouds and would see various, imaginative things in the sky. Also many shapes and dots on the tile and floor show me interesting sights. I am glad to read this book, which showed a little bit common, cliche shapes of cloud. Clouds show more than awesome things to anyone who has eyes. Maybe it depends on readers and I recommend everyone to go out and see beautiful clouds and feel amazed by the sight.
Holly M
Nov 24, 2013 Holly M rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Little Cloud is about a small cloud that breaks away from the other clouds and transforms himself into different shapes in the sky. In the end he joins the other clouds and it rains. The text of this book goes nicely with the pictures because it explains why he is transforming into the different objects. The illustrations, like other Eric Carle books, are created out of tissue paper made by Carle, himself. It is clear in this book how Carle cut and arranged the tissue paper to make the shapes. T ...more
Layla
May 01, 2016 Layla added it
Shelves: miscellaneous
Teaches the amazing moral that its always a cool thing to move to your own beat and do what satisfies you and not others all the time. I love the fact that Eric Carle used clouds to convey this message because it makes the pictures fun and also makes the reader think more about clouds in a creative and fun way.
Kristi Scramlin
This is a book showing how clouds sometimes look like different things such as a rabbit or a sheep, and with a little imagination everyone may see a different figure in the same cloud. Erin Carle does a great job of illustrating in a kids point of view of how they would see the clouds. Little Cloud would be a really fun book to read on a nice day because you could read it aloud to your class, then take your class outside for a little walk and have each person share what they see. After the walk ...more
Erin
Little Cloud was curious about the world. When the other clouds drifted up and away from the earth, Little Cloud drifted down and towards it. He keeps changing his shape from one thing to another until he gathers with the other clouds to create rain.

Good for preschool or toddler storytimes.
Russell
Aug 23, 2014 Russell rated it liked it
Despite being a mere cog in a larger collective, a small cloud experiments a bit with its independence and shape shifting abilities before returning to the hive mind and bringing destruction down upon humanity. A spiritual successor to John Carpenter's The Fog.
Danielle Ducharme
Nov 27, 2013 Danielle Ducharme rated it it was ok
Shelves: nature
The illustrations in this book are both complicated yet simple. The content of the images are simple because it is only a cloud in different shapes. The materials used to portray the simple images are complex because the author uses unique painted tissue paper. The text of this book goes nicely with the pictures because it explains why he is transforming into the different objects. The book teaches the lesson of independence and being what ever you want to be but it also discusses the a lesson o ...more
Angie
Apr 08, 2016 Angie rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
Synopsis: "The clouds drift across the bright blue sky--all except one. Little Cloud trails behind. He is busy changing shapes to become a fluffy sheep, a zooming airplane, and even a clown with a funny hat. Eric Carle's trademark collages will make every reader want to run outside and discover their very own little cloud."

My Review: Munchkin has been learning all about clouds and weather lately, and we love Eric Carle books so thought this would be perfect. It is a great little book with the cl
Library
Sep 28, 2014 Library rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Carle has created a book that will inspire readers to take their eyes to the sky. Little Cloud changes shape to become the things he sees. Carle's illustrations (except the last) are drawn with detail and from the perspective of a reader looking up.
Saidy
Dec 10, 2015 Saidy rated it it was amazing
this book related to the world we live in because we're surrounded by clouds and they turn shapes. just like int he story when the cloud was transforming to many things. kids can relate and make connections with the clouds and story.
Sylvia
Like most Eric Carle books, I enjoyed this one. This opened a huge discussion with my son on the shapes and animals we see in the clouds. The illustrations are in Eric Carle's style, simple but understanding.
Madison Walden
Feb 25, 2016 Madison Walden rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
I love this book! There is so much imagination when looking at clouds and this book brings that out. You could use this book in the art classroom and have each student create their own little cloud.
Vivian
Oct 29, 2012 Vivian rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
What fun this is to share in a story time with pre-schoolers!

Every time I share this I do it a little differently. I may have the children do actions, such as "pushing up" the clouds or "being blown" as a cloud or "shaping" a ball of cloud or "stretching big" as a cloud and "shrinking small".

When Little Cloud changes into shapes I might invite the children to make the sound of the animal or object shown. We'll imitate a shark's jaws by opening and shutting our arms. We'll make the shapes of the
Angelina
Mar 30, 2016 Angelina rated it liked it
I love most of Eric Carle's books, but this one didn't thrill me. I assume my preschoolers will like chanting "Little Cloud, Little Cloud." Funny, but I hear them already!
Kaylie Henley
Jan 19, 2014 Kaylie Henley rated it liked it
Little Cloud is a great book that follows the adventures of a Little Cloud.This book really shows broad and limitless a child's imagination can be. Then in the ends shows how in the end you need to come back to reality. This is a very simple read with simple pictures that depicts what can be seeing looking at the clouds with the use of your mind.
Jasmine
Apr 23, 2015 Jasmine rated it did not like it
As a huge fan of The Very Hungry Caterpillar, this was pretty disappointing. No story; mediocre illustrations. Definitely a regression from the talent that once was.
Kristine
May 07, 2015 Kristine rated it it was amazing
Eric Carle books are so great. I really liked this one and I think lots of children will too. A great book for showing kids how clouds can change shape.
Judy
Apr 08, 2015 Judy rated it liked it
Good book on reading to little ones about the weather or would be good in spring than go out and look at clouds and see what they can see as shapes of clouds
  • This Little Chick
  • Cat's Colors
  • No Matter What
  • Down Comes the Rain
  • The Giant Carrot
Eric Carle (born June 25, 1929) is a children's book author and illustrator, most famous for his book The Very Hungry Caterpillar, which has been translated into over 30 languages. Since The Very Hungry Caterpillar was published in 1969, Eric Carle has illustrated more than seventy books, many best sellers, most of which he also wrote, and more than 71 million copies of his books have sold around ...more
More about Eric Carle...