Little Cloud

Little Cloud

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  1,504 ratings  ·  110 reviews
The clouds drift across the bright blue sky--all except one. Little Cloud trails behind. He is busy changing shapes to become a fluffy sheep, a zooming airplane, and even a clown with a funny hat. Eric Carle's trademark collages will make every reader want to run outside and discover their very own little cloud.
Published March 19th 2001 by Puffin (first published January 1st 1996)

Clouds of Witness by Dorothy L. SayersThe Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre DumasDon Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes SaavedraThe Shipping News by Annie ProulxDeath in the Clouds by Agatha Christie
Clouds
76th out of 84 books — 16 voters
Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse by Kevin HenkesBrown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakChrysanthemum by Kevin Henkes
From the Rocking Chair
28th out of 50 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

Sarah Sammis
Little Cloud is one of Carle's more recent books. Carle started illustrating and writing books in the late 1960s. Of the Carle books I've read there are only two that I don't enjoy: The Very Hungry Caterpillar and The Very Greedy Snake as both are focused so heavily on gluttony.Little Cloud instead teaches through example the importance of being an individual and being a contributing member of a group.

Until the end, each page has a different shape that Little Cloud has created on his own. There'...more
Laura Dowsett
This book, much like The Little Seed (also by Eric Carle) details the life of a single cloud. I used this book in my year 1 class as part of a core text literacy lesson. It really go the children thinking about how clouds move through the sky and change shape, size and colour.

Additionally, we had been studying the water cycle and this book was handy to link to the water cycle.

The book is relatively short and follows a very simple repetitive pattern, but was still very much enjoyed in my year 1...more
Tricia
I love all of the Eric Carle books, and I was pleased to add this one to my collection. This book is about a little cloud who becomes different shapes, and then at the end rains. I used this book to introduce the water cycle to my class. I read this book to them, and then we did an experiment where we took dixie cups half full of water, and then sealed them off in Ziploc bags. We then hung the bags in the window and then observed the water cycle throughout the day. Love it!
Kelly Van Pelt
Great jumping off point for a cloud or weather unit. So fun to see what happens with little cloud.
Erin
Little Cloud is all about a cloud in the sky and how it transforms itself to look like various animals or objects. As a simple story with simple finger-paint style illustrations, one might think this book may be a bit boring, but it certainly is not nor are the activities that can be inspired from it. As a read-aloud storytime book children could do cloud-like movements such as pushing up with their arms or spreading them wide or narrow to show how the cloud rises, grows, and shrinks; they could...more
Holly M
Little Cloud is about a small cloud that breaks away from the other clouds and transforms himself into different shapes in the sky. In the end he joins the other clouds and it rains. The text of this book goes nicely with the pictures because it explains why he is transforming into the different objects. The illustrations, like other Eric Carle books, are created out of tissue paper made by Carle, himself. It is clear in this book how Carle cut and arranged the tissue paper to make the shapes. T...more
Danielle Ducharme
The illustrations in this book are both complicated yet simple. The content of the images are simple because it is only a cloud in different shapes. The materials used to portray the simple images are complex because the author uses unique painted tissue paper. The text of this book goes nicely with the pictures because it explains why he is transforming into the different objects. The book teaches the lesson of independence and being what ever you want to be but it also discusses the a lesson o...more
Vivian
What fun this is to share in a story time with pre-schoolers!

Every time I share this I do it a little differently. I may have the children do actions, such as "pushing up" the clouds or "being blown" as a cloud or "shaping" a ball of cloud or "stretching big" as a cloud and "shrinking small".

When Little Cloud changes into shapes I might invite the children to make the sound of the animal or object shown. We'll imitate a shark's jaws by opening and shutting our arms. We'll make the shapes of the...more
Kaylie Henley
Little Cloud is a great book that follows the adventures of a Little Cloud.This book really shows broad and limitless a child's imagination can be. Then in the ends shows how in the end you need to come back to reality. This is a very simple read with simple pictures that depicts what can be seeing looking at the clouds with the use of your mind.
Matthew Meehan
Little Cloud is very similar to Little Seed. It tells the life and times of a single cloud, who gladly goes on his way throughout space. I thought it was great how the cloud changes shapes on its own accord, as it gives root to the belief that clouds are indeed in the shape that we make them out to be when looking at the sky. I believe children, with their wide imaginations, would surely take to this thought as truth and really believe that clouds make specific shapes for them. Although the clou...more
Slayermel
Jan 12, 2012 Slayermel rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: parents of young children and preschool teachers
This is a story about a little cloud that trails behind all of the big clouds. I think children would find it interesting due to the fact that they sometimes see different shapes in the clouds, and this story touches upon some of the shapes the little cloud can change into.

Compared to some of Eric Carle's other stories, I would have to say I find it lacking. Maybe my hopes were too high, but I found this story somewhat pointless and boring. The only thing the children at work seem to enjoy abou...more
Kendra Wheeler
Little Cloud is about a cloud that subsided behind all the other clouds. This little cloud loves changing shapes while trailing long. Some of the shapes the cloud transforms into include a sheep, airplane, and a clown.

This book has great colorful illustrations to keep the student's eyes engaged through the whole book.

This book would inspire a lesson that involved the students making their own clouds on blue construction paper, sponges, and white paint. The students then have to freedom to make...more
Darrielle
Little cloud sits and watches the clouds pass by. Use this book to create an integrated lesson plan bridging science standards and or writing standards. Have students take a nature walk and discuss the different types of clouds they see then have students create their own short writings for the story behind that particular cloud. The teacher may also find creative ways to bridge science experiments like creating a cloud in a bottle or art projects using chalk, crayons, cotton balls etc. to make...more
Rebecca Martin
This is a great book to read when students are learning about clouds. This book can be used to introduce clouds. After reading the book the teacher can have real pictures of the different types of clouds and tell the students what type of weather comes with the clouds. Then she can take the students outside for a sciene/art project. They students can observe the clouds in the sky and use cottonballs and glue to recreate the clouds they see. Then they can decide which type of clouds they are.
Rebecca Ann
This picture book is about a little cloud (go figure) that turns into all kinds of fun images. There didn't seem to be much of a point, though maybe you could make a case for the power of imagination or the comfort of belonging while being an individual. Maybe it's just about a cloud, lol. The bright blue and white illustrations are fun, messy and cheerful. One of the programming books recommended this for lapsit programs, although I think it's probably better suited to toddlers.
Gaby Roman
I love this short story. I would use this book when my students are learning about weather and clouds. I would have my students do an activity where they would choose to be any type of cloud. For example, the shape could be a dog, transformer, tree, etc. They would complete the sentence, "If I were a cloud, I would be...". After they write the sentence, they would illustrate a picture of their cloud. I would encourage my students to use their imagination when doing this activity.
Brittany

I think that this book offers great illustrations,and I placed this book in my writing workshop shelve because I feel I could use this book as a read-a-loud for my students when we are learning about weather or more specifically about certain types of clouds. I think that this book would be a good introduction for my students to hear before they could write their own creative writing story or piece on what images the kids see when they look into the clouds.
Frances
1.Another great Eric Carle book simple text.
2.This book will work well with the weather unit.
3.We see clouds every day.

Learning Activity

Children will be encuraged to go outside, and watch the sky for cloud forms. Then come inside to use white playdough to make the shape cloud that was seen in the sky. I will have different tools to help in this projects. Some of the tools are shaving cream, fiber fill, paint, and modeling clay.
Caitlin Sabers
This book can be used to discuss clouds, weather, geography and traveling, and imagination. Little cloud shapes himself into all different things. Not only can fun craft projects be done with this, but kids could be taken out side to find a cloud shaped like something else and could write about it or draw pictures of what their cloud wants to be. This book would also be a great Engage in a 5E because it does not explicitly discuss science.
Carin
The fun Little Cloud spends the story changing into the different objects he sees throughout his day. This illustrations are perfect, like all Eric Carle work. This story however, is a little lack luster. The story has little to none figurative language and is a perfect example of telling and now showing. Great for an introduction to figurative language, and for what not to do.
Misty
Who loves to look at clouds and the shapes they make? I know I do! In this book there is a little cloud that gets bigger, makes a bunch of different shapes, moves around, and makes rain. This would be a great book for introducing a science lesson on clouds and the rain cycle. It would also be a good way to get students outside and looking for shapes in the clouds themselves.
Missy Kirtley
As much as I love Eric Carle's illustrations, and as many times as we've read "The Hungry Little Caterpillar" and "Brown Bear, Brown Bear What do you See?" I just couldn't get into this book. My daughter lost interest early on, as there's not much of a plot, not much of a story. The pictures are pretty, in the Carle style, but that's almost all this book has going for it.
Lori Smith
Eric Carle has made yet another great, simple children's book with beautiful illustrations. This particular story would be great to introduce different characteristics of clouds. Students could go outside and observe and draw the clouds. They could use different materials such as cotton balls and paper to create their own clouds. It is appropriate for grades PreK through 1.
Laneika Cason
PB37. Another beutifully illustrated book by Eric Carle. After being introduced to this author in my Intro to Children's Lit class, I have become a huge fan and seem to pick up one or two of his book everytime I visit the library.
This cloud book is so adorable. This would be the perfect book to read while laying in the grass on a nice day while watching the clouds.
Krupal Morjaria
The illustrations in this book really helped the readers understand what little cloud was going through. The cloud changes its appearance through out the book until he finally goes back to being a cloud again. This story would be a great way to teach students that we go through life wanting to change different things about us but we have to remember who we are.
Sophia Martin
This Eric Carle book is about a Little Cloud who gets left behind. The cloud begins to transform into different shapes. It becomes a bunny, clown, trees, etc. in the end all of the clouds come back together. I would use this story to encourage imagination, "what do you think the cloud would turn into next?" I would also use this story as a story basket and center.
Angela Moorer
Although the words are few in this book by Eric Carle, the lessons are plentiful. Science is addressed in a big way in this book. Students can learn about the types of clouds and their formations and weather. Carle's illustrations in this book are great. I love the way the paint looks on the pages. I would use this book in kindergarten through first grade.
Katie
Jul 07, 2011 Katie added it
Shelves: identify, science
this book could be used as an introduction into a topic of science about clouds and rain! it could also be used to transition into an activity with clouds! I did cloud watching with my children outside the other day, and we all tried identifying different things that we saw in the clouds. I really wish i had thought to read this book before the activity.
Sheniece
This book is about a cloud that changes its form to look like things it has seen. I would use this book for these purposes:
1. Read to children and have a discussion/science lesson about clouds and what their function is.
2. Take children outside to look at clouds to see if they can describe the different shapes they see the clouds make.
  • It Looked Like Spilt Milk
  • The Greedy Python
  • Planting a Rainbow
  • Little Blue and Little Yellow
  • My Truck is Stuck!
  • If You're Happy and You Know It!
  • Barnyard Banter
  • Counting Kisses: A Kiss & Read Book
  • Oh, Daddy!
  • Hello, Day!
  • Book! Book! Book!
Eric Carle (born June 25, 1929) is a children's book author and illustrator, most famous for his book The Very Hungry Caterpillar, which has been translated into over 30 languages. Since The Very Hungry Caterpillar was published in 1969, Eric Carle has illustrated more than seventy books, many best sellers, most of which he also wrote, and more than 71 million copies of his books have sold around...more
More about Eric Carle...
The Very Hungry Caterpillar The Very Busy Spider The Grouchy Ladybug The Very Quiet Cricket From Head to Toe