Start by marking “Kitten's Winter” as Want to Read:
Kitten's Winter

Kitten's Winter

3.43 of 5 stars 3.43  ·  rating details  ·  63 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Published September 1st 2011 by Kids Can Press (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Kitten's Winter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kitten's Winter

Christine Turner
Winter comes to Kitten's world, and the little calico leaves her cozy home for an afternoon of exploration and discovery. Kitten learns that even on a frosty day, animal life flourishes: a squirrel forages, an otter goes fishing and a woodpecker taps the side of a bare-limbed tree. At the same time, readers discover that for many animals, winter is a time of rest. Softly, Kitten treads past a burrowing turtle, a napping beaver and a hibernating bear. Told in rhyming couplets, Kitten's Winter is ...more
June
Mar 25, 2014 June rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: animal and winter requests
Even though she selected it the animals really didn't hold her attention. Maybe 2 and a half, it was our third book... I figured it was time to move on to a flannel board.
Polly
People always like the pictures at storytime, but there's not much to the text and kids mostly don't find it very interesting.
Agt
Great textures shown in the illustrations. Had fun finding the kitten in each picture.
Whitney
Love the "illustrations" (clay pictures)!
Meg
The only reason I can't give this book five stars is because, for me, the text falls short. It's more of a simple rhyming book (baby to age 2) than a story/narrative of any kind.

HOWEVER: the illustrations are absolutely beautiful. Eugenie Fernandes crafts charming and beautiful scenes that both children and adults will enjoy. "The artwork in this book was rendered in self-hardening clay, acrylic paint, and mixed-media collage." I'd love to frame the varied textures and clay animals in a children
Bree
Notes:
not about a kitten but rather other winter animals
the kitten shows up again at the end
Missy Kirtley
The illustrations in this book (like in the other we read, Kitten's Summer) were beautiful. Very beautiful. But the words just didn't hold up as well. I wasn't all that impressed with the rhymes or the "story"... Even though my daughter figured out what the last word was, it really isn't worth spending too much time on. I'm glad we read it, and we may revisit it later if my daughter wants to, but for now it's going back to the library.
Alice
This is a very simple book. The reason I gave it 4 stars is that the pictures are absolutely wonderful! I want to read the rest in the series!!
Phair
Very few words to this but the illustrations more than make up for it. Gorgeous mixed-media collages with detailed & realistic plastic clay sculptures of myriad wild creatures. Loved the use of natural materials as well. Favorite picture: the curious kitten splayed out on the slippery ice of the pond- too cute
carissa
Denise
Kitten returns and it's cold and snowy outside! Kitten's adventure through the wooded area around the house gives readers a glimpse of what some animals do during the winter. Following the same format as Kitten's Autumn and Kitten's Spring, this too is a great book to use with toddlers.
Dustie
pb7:I felt this book used good rhyming skills, and showed great examples of how many animals react during the winter. I feel that young kids can relate themselves to this adorable little kitten.
Whitney
A good introduction to animals, verbs, and vocabulary, with cute pictures and a cozy ending. Parents, expect to read this one repeatedly to your kids.
David
Very few words, but good for teaching action words and animals. The rhyme is simple, but it is short enough that it isn't annoying. I like it.
Vicki
What do animals do in the winter? This book shares great illustrations of different animals in the winter. Short sentences and words.
Beverly
Fernandes' signature clay and paint illustrations look so 3-dimensional, you almost think you can pick them up off the pages.
Sarah Sammis
Feb 21, 2012 Sarah Sammis rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Sarah by: my daughter
The calico kitten explores the winter landscape and sees what different animals do. Then she goes home for a warm snuggle.
Text is really simple rhymes but the illustrations are a really cool 3-D collage style.
Ruth
Simple text. Busy pictures showing action.
Stephanie Cox
Illustrations are adorable
Edward Sullivan
Simply delightful!
Jessie Dae
Jessie Dae marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Guen
Guen marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Kitten's Spring Kitten's Summer Kitten's Autumn Busy Little Mouse Ordinary Amos and the Amazing Fish (Look-Look)