Start by marking “Borderlands: The Fallen” as Want to Read:
Borderlands: The Fallen

Borderlands: The Fallen

3.17 of 5 stars 3.17  ·  rating details  ·  116 ratings  ·  26 reviews
WHAT KIND OF MAN MAKES A LIVING IN HELL?

His name’s Roland. Soldier class, a former mercenary, he’s on a full-time mission to scrape a living out of the most dangerous planet in the galaxy.

Is he qualified? He’s well armed, he’s ruthless, and he’s tougher than skag hide. And, oh yeah—he’s strapped with s...more
Published November 22nd 2011 by Gallery Books

To ask other readers questions about Borderlands, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Borderlands

Halo by Eric S. NylundAssassin's Creed by Oliver BowdenBioShock by John ShirleyAssassin's Creed by Oliver BowdenAssassin's Creed by Oliver Bowden
Video Game Novels/Trades
44th out of 182 books — 203 voters
BioShock by John ShirleyHomeland by R.A. SalvatoreAssassin's Creed by Oliver BowdenBioShock by John ShirleyThe Umbrella Conspiracy by S.D. Perry
Beyond The Game
15th out of 48 books — 8 voters

More lists with this book...

Eye-shuh
I am a pretty huge Borderlands fan. In fact, I would go so far to say Borderlands is my all time favorite video game. So, when I saw that a book had come out I had no choice but to pick it up! Unfortunately, I more or less had to force myself to get through it. Borderlands: The Fallen is an extremely disappointing look into the Borderlands universe.

From the cover and the description one can be led to assume, as I was, that the book has the potential to perhaps be the first of four going into the...more
Jonathan
This book managed to exceed my expectations. Of course, they were incredibly low, so that's not much of an achievement, but it's still notable.
Daniel
Not bad. Do not care much for the original characters.
J
"Mess with the bull, you get the horns."
I'm really not certain what the relevance with this line is but it is repeated at least a dozen times by Roland.
This novel was supposed to be an original set in the universe of Borderlands the video game, though the time-frame is ambiguous enough to leave you wondering when it was supposed to happen. Is it a prequel or a sequel? There isn't much original here. The author plugged the game's content so much that it immediately felt like a video game more tha...more
Michael Alexander Henke
Borderlands is a fantastic game. It's funny, addictive, has a unique graphical style and tons of loot to find. The one thing you don't really think of when it comes to Borderlands is its story. Sure, it's there and it's coherent, there are quite a few memorable characters and laugh out loud moments, but it's largely throwaway.
That being said, I wasn't expecting a whole lot out of this book. The fact that it's written by John Shirley gave me some hope, he wrote the Bioshock novel that I quite enj...more
This book was weird. There was a lot of fan service, but there wasn't much substance to this book. Sometimes novelizations of video games can provide really interesting lore or accentuate the story you experience in the game. This book wasn't like that. It made certain to mention characters and enemies, but the story was completely unimportant.

I was also really annoyed at the treatment of the only female character in the book. I can almost deal with the fact that all of the men on this lawless,...more
Casimiro
First, let me say that Borderlands 1 and 2 are easily my favorite video games ever...and I finished Borderlands 2 a few months ago, so I was having Borderlands withdrawal big time...but then I found this book! I was so excited! I love video games, and I love reading, and now I could read a book that takes place in my favorite video game's universe! Then I read the book...and I was like...meh. Yes, it takes place in the Borderlands universe, but the book totally lacks the fun and charm of the vid...more
Joel
In the opening chapters, The Fallen tries a little too hard to assert itself as a part of the Borderlands universe, throwing in way too many cosmetic references in rapid succession that come across as name-dropping more than context-establishing.

However, once it gets over doing so and begins to tell its own story set within that world, things get quite interesting. The story tends towards the darker elements of the source material and seems to actively avoid the series' trademark humour.

It's a f...more
Fernando
"Borderlands: The Fallen" is about a young man who travels to Pandora with his parents to look for a brighter future in their career. He must overcome hardships and intense trials to survive in this harsh planet.

In this book, you will follow Cal, Marla, and Zac Finn through each of their journeys to unite as a family once again. Roland is a soldier on the planet who helps them against the crazy bandits, psychos, and wildlife.

Anyone familiar of the video game, will easily find interest in this...more
Freezard
I loved the first Borderlands game and decided to check out the first novel about the game. The story doesn't have anything to do with the story in the game, but it's still set in the same world and contains the same creatures and places. Basically it's about Roland and his journey for treasures and a family that crash landed on Pandora and separated, so the book often swaps around each point of view. Roland is a really cool guy just as you imagined him being in the game, unfortunately the famil...more
Brian Hall
it was more about the planet Pandora than the Borderlands characters we all know (Roland is involved).. not a bad story.. not great.. a decent read if you need a Borderlands fix..
Brent
This book took off to a really slow start, but it did finally pick up about a third of the way through. Two problems I had with the book. One: there was only one brief appearance by a Claptrap. Two: there was a very bad typo about three-quartersthrough. Specifically, the wrong character name was attributed to an action. That really took me out of the book as I re-read that whole section several times.

So... If you're a fan of "Borderlands", I'd say "stick with it", and I'd give it four stars. If...more
Tabitha Bathory
It was actually pretty good. I mean, it wasn't with out its faults. I found myself rewriting some parts and slightly switching around words at times but over all I really enjoyed cruising through Pandora. I did really feel like I was there and John Shirley did a fairly good job of getting across the different characters personalities and speech patterns. Also, I was [SPOILERS] glad he took the dramatically tragic route and killed off Vance and Zac. To be honest, as well, I kinda wish the sex sce...more
Shawn Kass
If you enjoyed the games, then this is a good book. It's not really well written and doesn't at any point force you to be an active reader, but it is fun escapism for fans of the video games.
Dustin
This was pretty good as far as tie-in novels go. I thought the author got a bit silly with the amount of references to game dialogue but it was otherwise competently written and while I don't think the writing is as sharp as the games themselves it comes close enough.

I'd recommend this if you're a fan of Borderlands.
Charles Quintanilla
Enjoying it so far. I am about 70 pages in and the story of the three family members stranded on the planet is keeping me reading! =] Loved the game, which was my reason to read the book, and I am not disappointed. Has creatures from both Borderlands 1 & 2 so far. Cant wait for the second book!
David Marshall
This is a YA novelisation of an electronic game and it should only be read by those who have a deep and abiding affection for the game or, like me, just read John Shirley regardless of quality.

Wigglygirl
If you have played Borderlands, or Borderlands 2 - I think you'll enjoy this. The writing is action focused, so if you have the picture of Pandora in your head already, this book will come to life.
Like the games, this book is not for kids.
Aaron Gutierrez
I loved this book, the action was intense and never seemed to stop. I am also an avid fan of the borderlands games so seeing the game come to life felt good. I would definitively recommend this for anyone who like borderlands, action or comedy.
Ariel
A gift from my best friend. Not a bad read! Got into the nitty gritty of Pandora. Lots of animal attacks. Lots of desolation. I wasn't that into the plot, but then one doesn't play Borderlands for the plot, so...
Brian DiMattia

Meh. Not great, but made me look forward to the next game. Which was probably the point after all.
Spartan Ooqt
Good filler between Borderlands 1 and 2 games. Has little baring on the story in 2 though. Over all a good read!
Martin Gehling
Nice Sci-fi book based on the video game. Pretty entertaining read.
Jason
It didn't make me actively angry, for the most part.
Cormon03
Cormon03 is currently reading it
Oct 19, 2014
James Edwards
James Edwards marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
Roland Hamilton
Roland Hamilton marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2014
Loran Keyse
Loran Keyse marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2014
61958
John Shirley is the author of more than a dozen books, including Demons; Crawlers; City Come A-Walkin’; Really, Really, Really, Really, Weird Stories; and the classic cyberpunk trilogy A Song Called Youth: Eclipse, Eclipse Penumbra, and Eclipse Corona. He is the recipient of the Horror Writers Association’s Bram Stoker Award and won the International Horror Guild Award for his collection Black But...more
More about John Shirley...
BioShock: Rapture Constantine: The Hellblazer Collection Eclipse (A Song Called Youth, #1) City Come a-Walkin' Constantine