Judy Moody and the NOT Bummer Summer (Book #10)

Judy Moody and the NOT Bummer Summer (Judy Moody #10)

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  608 ratings  ·  77 reviews
Megan McDonald's story - as featured in Judy's uber-cool movie - is back in a must have edition illustrated by Peter H. Reynolds. RARE!

Roar! It's not bad enough that Mom and Dad are heading to California, leaving Judy and Stink with Aunt Awful (er, Opal), but now two of Judy's friends are going Splitsville, too. Just when it looks like her summer is going to be BOR-ing- eu...more
Published April 10th 2012 by Candlewick Press (first published April 26th 2011)

Kelly
Recently turned into a movie with was pretty much universally panned by critics - Judy Moody and the NOT Bummer Summer is unfortunately a bit of a bummer even in book form. At least it is if you're over 12.

Judy Moody was geared up for a 'rare' (as she puts it) summer. In Judy speak, this means 'not bummer'. Unfortunately, her plans are foiled when her two best friends leave her (one for circus camp, and one for Borneo). Her plan to do dares and earn thrill points (other Judy-isms) seems lost - u...more
Eliza Thomas
"Judy Moody and the Not Bummer Summer" is an adorable book that students would enjoy reading. The main character, Judy, is a young girl with a big personality and a thirst for adventure. In this book, most of her good friends go away for the summer, leaving her upset but determined to still make the summer fun. She goes on several crazy adventures to compete with her friends to have the best summer ever.

This book would be a great read aloud because it would appeal to most students. Judy's quirky...more
Iqra Jabbar
Judy Moody is always in a mood, and it's usually a bad one. This particular story of the series is about Judy and her two brothers who are being looked after by their aunt Opal over the summer whilst their parents are in California and follows Judy's mission to not have a bummer summer. An exciting and easy read, full of fun things and exciting characters.
Christina
This is my first Judy Moody Book. I don't always read the same books as my kids nor do I always read the books with my kids. But I did end up reading this one aloud with them over the summer, I am sure you can guess why based on the title.

I must say I much prefer the character of Judy Moody to that nasty little girl, Junie B. Jones. I really can't stand Junie. Any child who acted the way she did would banned from house forever!

In this book, Judy Moody is left with her aunt Opal for the summer....more
Shania Jones
Have you ever had those summers when they was boring and dead?! Well the beginning of this book starts of as a boring, slow and dead. Her parents are going to California for the summer leaving Judy and her little brother, stink, with their aunt Opal. Judy doesn't like Opal at all and she thought she can avoid all that by hanging with her two best friends, but! they both go away for the summer too. What would she do? Would she overcome her summer of a dry desert into a summer full of games and ex...more
Milly
it was a "OK" book i would give it 3-5
Mary Ann
It's the last day of school, and Judy Moody is sure she's going to have the best summer ever, filled with exciting adventures every day! She's even made a great chart for all of her friends, so each of them can keep track of their thrill-seeking accomplishments. But when two of her three best friends tell her that they're leaving on exciting vacations, Judy's sure that her summer has just become a complete bummer of a summer. Then her parents drop the bomb-shell news that she isn't going to her...more
Alma
McDonald, Megan. Judy Moody and the Not Bummer Summer. Scholastic. 2011. 136 pp. ISBN: 9780545402736. Genre: Fiction
Rating: 3.86 Stars. Judy Moody is ready for a summer of fun when she finds out her two best friends are going away for the summer, her parents are going on a trip, and her Aunt Opal is going to be staying with her (and her brother). Summer break hasn’t even started yet and it can’t get much worse, can it?

Summary: Fern is an 8 year old farm girl who begs her father to let her keep a...more
Halley Todd
Watching Judy Moody made me miss my own summer vacations. Judy is determined to have the best summer ever! She is tired of being bored in the summer, so creates a system of Thrill Points based on outrageous dares in order to spice things up. Her little brother has also decided this is the summer he will catch Sasquatch. With free-spirited Aunt Opal watching them for the summer, Judy and Stinky will have a summer break that they will never forget.

One of the best parts of this film was the charac...more
Nausheen Ukani
Judy Moody and the Not Bummer Summer is a cute, humorous book for the young readers! I've read it three time already, and I might see myself reading it again with my little sister. I haven't read all the Judy Moody books yet, but they seem like they would be fun! I chose this book to represent the humor category, although our main character, Judy, seems to play on sarcastic humor the most! It was an enjoyable read that took me right back to my childhood and all the summers that I've spent right...more
Jori
This book is definitely written toward its reading level. Personally, I did not enjoy the story.

I rated it a 3 because it wasn't horrible and I suspect that the story would be a hit with it's target group.

This is the first book I have read about Judy Moody, the slang and the random telling about what her mood ring was saying was distracting for me.

But for someone who is reading these regularly it probably is a fun aspect of her stories.
Steven R. McEvoy
This is a review of the movie tie-in edition of this book. It was released with the movie. This spring they will be releasing a standard edition with illustrations by Peter H. Reynolds. I can say having read 4 books so far, in either the Judy Moody or Stink Moody series, I missed the illustrations. The sketches and drawings by Reynolds really add to the story. With this edition, just having still photos from the movie it seemed like something was missing as I read the book. The story by Megan Mc...more
Shauna Masura
What was supposed to be the best summer of Judy Moody's life, might just turn out to be a bummer. Her best friends are leaving, and she is stuck at home with her Aunt Opal and little brother Stink, Luckily, Judy comes up with a plan that might just make this summer great. Judy Moody and the Not So Bummer Summer includes vivid characters whose boldness can only be rivaled by the vibrant colors used throughout this quirky, lovable movie. Smart integration of special effects makes it seem like Judy...more
Lili Mccarthy
The main characters in this book are Judy Moody, Stink, Frank pearl, Rocky and Amy.
This book is about Judy Moody supposed to be spending her summer with her friends, when all of them except for Frank are going on vacation. Rocky is going to circus camp and Amy is going to visit her family in some wacky town. Judy's parents have to goto california so there aunt Opal has to come and watch them. Aunt Opal instead of being aunt awful, turns out to be a really cool aunt. Stink which is Judy's brothe...more
Emily Baer
Good

Good

good book not the best-selling book but I think it's a good book good night my dear friend of mine who is this your own site
Colleen Mertens
This is a cute children's book. It tells about how Judy spends her summer vacation. Interesting story for young readers. Good way to kick off summer.

Sanai Haymon-Jallow
Judy Moody

well the book was actually great... better than the other reviews if th brother seasons..... I think it was gret
Rebecca
It is the last day of school, and Judy is determined to make this the best summer ever! All the ones before have been boring, but this year will be different because she's got a plan! Except now she's found out that Rocky is going to circus camp while Amy is going to Borneo! Ugh! So not fair! What's worse is that her parents are going away and she's stuck with Aunt Awful! What is she gonna do?

Hilarity ensues as Judy tries to race her friends to earn thrill points. From trying to cross a tight ro...more
Ellen
Fun book for little girls!
Margaret
This was a cute, fun, fluffy read. I thought that I'd read something fluffy after reading the most recent Hollows book. It was a fast read, but it was definitely appropriate for the age range that it was meant for. I read this book simply because I was debating seeing the movie and after reading the book, I really want to see it now.

I laughed, hard, at some of Judy's antics, but I laughed especially hard at Aunt Opal's antics. I'm looking forward to renting the movie now, for sure.
Marci
Another funny Judy Moody book. Judy, Stink, her aunt, and only friend that stayed home for the summer attempt to do more scary things than their other friends. Somehow Judy's ideas keep getting messed up and she is worried about having a horrible summer. Her antics and imagination continue to entertain me. She is a bit of a drama queen and tends to make even the smallest problems into huge and hilarious adventures.
Mary
Girls chose it because I have a rule, that if they want to see movie they have to read the book. Cute story about a girl named Judy Moody who wants to have the best summer ever and she has a chart worked out on how to figure out how successful the summer is. But she is not accumulating any points. She and her brother are being watched by their Aunt Opal for the summer also and she teaches them some fun things to do.
Jodi Santora
Judy wants her friends to spend the whole summer with her because she is stuck at home, but they all leave to do something exciting. She is left with her brother and her weird Aunt Pearl. Judy learns that it is pretty exciting to have fun at home and around her town. My kids wanted to read this after seeing the movie. They of course liked the book better, but the movie was pretty accurate.
Brooklyn O'Brien
Judy Moody and the not bummer summer is an awesome movie and book.This is going to be a good read for kids even adults could have a little reads atr this to.I rated 5 stars because its a brilliant book and movie to.I think you could read this book and get sucked into reading more Judy Moody Books.Thanks For reading,don't forget to read the amazing book.

Thanks,
Brooklyn O'Brien
Brandi Johnson
I read this in its entirety while my son napped. I downloaded it from the library as a quick read while I waited for a hold to become available for something else. It was probably perfect had I been 9 years old like the main character. Instead it was pretty boring, but cute in parts. A good way to waste an hour and a half but nothing much more.
Clarissa Valentin
this book was amazing! i wish i had these adventures this summer, she was having an awful summer, and that all began to change when her aunt arrived! she thought he aunt would be.. well an aunt, but actually she turned out to be an amazing help! she found her teacher thanks to her aunt! i wish my summer was this fun! i loved this book!
Kristy
Based off the popular movie, "Judy Moody and the Not Bummer Summer" is a great print adaptation of Judy's summer escapades. Judy's adventures are enjoyable and funny. The biggest challenge of this book is understanding Judy's distinct jargon.

Publication Date: 2011
Age/Grade level: 3rd to 5th grade
Format: Print Book
Nancy
Not going to rate this because I don't know what to give it. My kids love these books. They are never on the shelf. So for that reason alone I want to give them all five stars! But they're not really worth that to me. But they are cute and Judy and brother Stink are memorable characters, at least to nine-year-olds...
  • Ivy and Bean: No News Is Good News (Ivy and Bean, #8)
  • Miss Child Has Gone Wild! (My Weirder School, #1)
  • Penny The Pony Fairy (Rainbow Magic: Pet Keeper Fairies, #7)
  • Clementine and the Family Meeting (Clementine, #5)
  • Amelia Bedelia Means Business (Amelia Bedelia Chapter Books #1)
  • Fancy Nancy: Spectacular Spectacles
  • Melonhead
"Sometimes I think I am Judy Moody," says Megan McDonald, author of the Judy Moody series, the Stink series, and THE SISTERS CLUB. "I'm certainly moody, like she is. Judy has a strong voice and always speaks up for herself. I like that."

For Megan McDonald, being able to speak up for herself wasn't always easy. She grew up as the youngest of five sisters in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Her father, an...more
More about Megan McDonald...
Judy Moody (Judy Moody, # 1) Judy Moody Gets Famous! (Judy Moody, #2) Stink: The Incredible Shrinking Kid (Stink, #1) Judy Moody Saves The World! (Judy Moody, #3) Judy Moody, M.D.: The Doctor is In! (Judy Moody #5)