Start by marking “Cart Before the Horse” as Want to Read:
Cart Before the Horse

Cart Before the Horse

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  853 ratings  ·  66 reviews
Sometimes happily ever after doesn't start with "first comes love."

Gabriel Maguire thought he'd buried his past until the night he met Holly, only to lose the woman he cared about, again.

Published September 30th 2011 by 5 Prince Publishing (first published September 26th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Cart Before the Horse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cart Before the Horse

She Belongs To Me by Carmen DeSousaThe Executive's Decision by Bernadette MarieUntil Darkness Comes by Melynda PriceA Second Chance by Bernadette MarieOpposite Attraction by Bernadette Marie
5 Prince Publishing
22nd out of 53 books — 5 voters
Amelia by Bernadette MarieIndomitable Spirit by Bernadette MarieHome Run by Bernadette MarieLove Songs by Bernadette MarieUnexpected Admirer by Bernadette Marie
Amelia
16th out of 18 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

LolaLovesBooks
Have you ever come across a book that you started reading and just couldn’t manage to put down? … Wanted to zip through the book like a speed-reader, but didn’t want the story to end? That’s exactly what happened for me with Cart Before the Horse by Bernadette Marie. I’ve definitely found a new (to me) author whose books will be on auto-buy status. Her writing style is beautiful; a true pleasure to read. Her characters are well-developed, very relatable, funny and compassionate. I could go on an ...more
Antoinette
The Cart Before The Horse is a beautiful story about life. Sometimes life doesn’t always turn out like we think it should, and definitely not the way we always plan. This is a story that makes you fall in love with its characters. You’ll find yourself wrapped up in the lives of Holly and Gabe, rooting for love to conquer all! This story takes you through both of them learning to love for the first time, and learning to love again. Bernadette pulls you into the story, you won’t want to put it dow ...more
Honeypie
What can I say? I didn't really enjoy it. Sorry, Ms. Bernadette Marie, no offense. But I guess this time, this story is not for me.

I felt that there were too many events and emotions put in at the same time. There were moments when I was like, "Whoa, where did this come from?" (Not in a good way). There were also some inconsistencies. At first, the wedding dress was at the lead character's mom's place. On the next chapter, it was at the shop! Tsktsk. It may seem minor, but I still noticed.

I did
Carmen DeSousa
I love when I feel a character's passion--and pain. Though it seems the title gives away the plot of the story, it really doesn't. The author still managed to reveal surprises throughout the entire novel. The characters were likeable, even when I felt like yelling at them, as I usually do when I want them to get their act together. Always a good sign when an author has me fussing at her protagonists. There were several powerful and emotional scenes that had me cooing, crying, and hoping. Definit ...more
Melody Cox
I really enjoyed this read and I highly recommend it.

Holly is a prodigy who works hard and has no time or energy for a social life. Her co-workers convince her to go along with them for a night on the town and live a little. Live a little she certainly does in the arms of a stranger. Now she's pregnant and needs to find the man who fathered her child even though she doesn't know his name.

Gabe is a widower who owns a restaurant/bar. He is a lonely man since the death of his young wife and has not
Zoe
A nice, easy read full of emotions. This is a nice length and would make a great beach read, something that lets your mind relax and you don't have to think hard to enjoy it. The characters are sweet and shows that the love of two people can triumph over heartache in the end. Made my eyes quite watery at some points but also makes you smile too.
Elizabeth Haysmont
Truly liked the characters, especially Gabriel, although I occasionally found myself irked with Holly. The lost first love idea is generally overdone, but it worked okay here. Bit of a last minute twist at the end. Good writing overall. I recommend this book.
Becky
Holly Jacobs always seems to do the opposite way things are suppose to be done, so when she discovers she is pregnant from a drunken one night stand, she sets out to find out who the father is. She doesn't feel ready motherhood or marriage. She is a successful textile designer and independently content and happy. Gabriel McGuire never thought of the evening as a one-night stand. He hasn't been able to get Holly out of his thoughts. So when Holly enters his swanky restaurant and announces she is ...more
Holly
Holly is an uptight highly successful antisocial prodigy, who just happens to be pregnant from a one night stand. The man in question, she later discovers, is Gabe the local restaurant owner who is more a take life as it comes type of person. She comes from a small reserved family and he from a large boisterous close knit family. He decides to win her over and make them a family while she is determined to keep them friends with a baby, at least until she gets to know him.
This was a sweet book,
SL
Bernadette Marie does emotional stories so well. Her "Second Chance" is my fave of all her books, but this is a very close second.

Gabe and Holly each have dealt with turmoil in their pasts. Despite serious misgivings, Holly takes a chance on romance and love with Gabe. Their relationship unfolds letting both of them heal together while changing for the positive.

I really loved this couple and their journey from virtual strangers to happily ever after. Gabe's family was also delightful and really
Black Butterfly
Jun 20, 2014 Black Butterfly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: YA
Recommended to Black Butterfly by: BOOKBUB
Shelves: romance
PEOPLE STARTING OVER, FUNNY AT TIMES, HEARTWARMING, ROMANTIC AND LOVE OF FAMILY/FRIENDS ORIENTED. CHARACTERS VERY WELL DEVELOPED, GREAT STORY LINE. HOLLY, I'M PRETTY SURE SHE WAS DR. SPOCK'S LONG LOST BABY SISTER. GABRIEL, HE WAS TRULY AN ANGEL, WHAT A SWEET HUNK-O-MAN. UNWANTED PREGNANCY? THE WORLD SEEMS TO BE HAVING AN EPIDEMIC OF THEM. I WAS TAUGHT IF YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE SEX WITH A MAN THINK, DO I WANT THIS MAN IN MY LIFE FOREVER? BECAUSE ANYTIME YOU DO, THERE IS ALWAYS THE POSSIBILTY OF PR ...more
Tasha
Holly Jacobs has always put the cart before the horse. A prodigy who shot to stardom in textile design, she never knew a normal life—and there's nothing she longs for more than to be normal. Can she handle Gabe's tragic past and not let it destroy what they have together so they can raise their child together? I have read other books by this author before and I always give her books 5 stars because they are worth every single one of those stars. Her stories break your heart in to pieces just to ...more
Echo
This was a light hearted, fluffy read to occupy a sunny afternoon in the garden.

Basically, everything in the MC's life is perfectly lovely - no money troubles, successful, job she loves, man she loves, man has a job that he loves, etc, etc.

However, MC finds ways to constantly worry, freak out or get anxious about everything. To say she has a chip on her shoulder where her mother is involved is an understatement.

So other than a complete inability to appreciate how lucky she is, the story was fin
Jamie Rhodes
I really enjoyed this book. I got this as a free book from Amazon, and I am glad that I kept it. In this book it seems that Holly does everything backwards. She and Gabe had one night together. That night produced a baby. This is an amazing story of how two people fall in love. Gabe is a total sweetie!!! Sometimes he does things without thinking,but he always has Holly's best interest at heart. Dual point of view. No cliffhanger. Wonderful!!!
Penny Friday-Baker
Warm powerful storyline

A wonderful story full of past pain, changes, emotions, communication and strong love. Well written that had me grabbing my box of tissues. I cried so much at times I couldn't see the words.
Hope the author writes another on the Jacobs and Maquire families with Chandra and Tracy too.......still a lot of family history to cover as well as the happenings in all the characters lives.
Troy  Dye
CART BEFORE THE HORSE by Bernadette Marie

CART BEFORE THE HORSE by Bernadette Marie

The writer explores the concept that many of our blessings are the things that we try to avoid. Like the lady in Pride and Prejudice the girl in this story realizes that she was wrong about everything. The rest of the story is a rehash of the first nine months of every couple expecting a baby.
Angel
Lisa
I am already a Bernadette Marie fan and having a paperback in my collection seemed like the obvious thing to do. Her stories are filled with believable characters and a warmth that stays with you long after you have finished her books. If you want a contemporary romance that's easy to read and hard to put down then read Bernadette Marie's :-D
Jody
Holly Jacobs, was different and had been made to feel different since childhood. She excelled in school, graduated at fifteen and completed a double major in college by age nineteen. At thirty she found herself pregnant from a one-night of drinking on her birthday and going to a hotel with a man. Because she did things out of order, Cart Before the Horse, she was upset because she could not remember the man or his name. This set the background for the story, until she finds Gabe, the father of h ...more
Jenny Miller
I'm sorry I just couldn't get into this - it was typical fluffy chick lit, but the characters got on my nerves..
HE was moody - too nice and then too angry - his mood swings seemed kind of unnecessary.
SHE was too mechanical - focused on career, but I didn't ever feel warmth from her - I'm not sure how these characters 'fell in love'.
Carla Cabrera
I loved this story. it is my kind of read. There is very little conflict and lots of romance. I loved how determined Gabe was to win the affection of Holly. He chemistry is great between them. I like how the story carried you through many significant stages of their relationship. I highly recommend this book and author. I will read this again.
Cyndi Hackett
Cute love story. I liked that it moved at a smooth pace and we were able to see the progression of the characters. I thought holly's character had a great background. It was different from other characters I have read. I was happy that he author didn't prolong holly realized her love for Gaberial. Great read.
Sandy
Such a touching story

This is a very good story that makes you happy. The circumstances that the characters find themselves in are so much what life is all about and the author has captured the emotion of the situation so well. If you want to read a feel good story you don't want to miss this one.
Anna
I really enjoyed our career-oriented, control-freak, overachiever heroine. And I liked the theme. But something seemed to peter out a bit toward the end for me. Not sure if I just took a break and lost the flow or if it really wasn't quite as good as the beginning.
This is a very good book I really enjoyed this book from the beginning to end..I feel like I know each of the characters personally..I really love Holly and Gabe..I would recommend this book..I look forward to reading more books by this author!!!!!
unknown
Loved this story

Wonderful story about love lost and finding a new love and new life. Excellent story with a happy ending (the best kind). Hope you enjoy this one as much as I did. Happy reading.

Tina Ullrich
Horse and Cart

This is just as the title says. I know about putting the cart before the horse and this book gives a LIVELY FUNNY ENCHANTING view of that statement. Wonderful characters and storyline.
Nicola Keeble
Really loved this book and how everything was backwards. So often in books they finally get together in the end and its over, without all the good things happening like weddings and babies. I also loved the characters, Gabe was certainly an ideal man shouldering his responsibility, and maybe it was a little corny, but what can I say i'm a hopeless romantic and that's why I read these books.
Cindy
Cart before the horse

Cart before the horse

I loved this book about a woman who tends to do things backwards. She gets pregnant and then falls in love and gets married.
Lynn Smith
Cute, sweet romance novel. Holly had one drunken night with Gabe actually she didn't know who he was at the time. When she ends up pregnant she has to go back and find who the father is.
  • A Bridge to Love
  • Love By Accident
  • Love Me Tender
  • The Seacrest
  • White Knight (The Courage Series, #2)
  • Flirts! 5 Romantic Short Stories (Flirts! Collection #1)
  • Finding Home
  • Baby Kisses (Romance on the Ranch, #3)
  • Booby Trapped and Baby Proofed
  • The Sometime Bride
  • Anna's Strength
  • Deathwatch (Broslin Creek, #1)
  • Bonded In Brazil
  • Gifts of Life (The Gift Series)
  • My Sweet Valentine (The Pride, #6)
  • Winter Interlude (California Series, #1)
  • A Holiday to Remember
  • A Date with Fate (The Adventures of Anabel Axelrod, #1)
Notebooks and pens have been my obsession since childhood. Later it became books and stories others weaved into the perfect escape. The day I received my first typewriter was the day the passion for spinning a tale hit me – and it hit hard.

I was thirteen when I first sat down to write the great-American love story. I didn’t have much to say at thirteen. But over the years I did fall in love, get m
More about Bernadette Marie...
The Executive's Decision (Keller Family, #1) A Second Chance (Keller Family, #2) Opposite Attraction (Keller Family, #3) Center Stage (Keller Family, #4) Lost & Found (Keller Family, #5)