Tempest Unleashed (Tempest, #2)

Tempest Unleashed (Tempest #2)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  1,715 ratings  ·  216 reviews
Tempest Maguire is happy with her decision to embrace her mermaid nature and live among her mother’s clan within the ocean’s depths. Even though training to one day ascend the throne for the aging mermaid queen is rigorous, she finds refuge in the arms of Kona, the selkie who first opened her up to her mermaid side. But when word comes that one of her brothers has been gra...more
Published June 5th 2012 by Walker Childrens

To ask other readers questions about Tempest Unleashed, please sign up.

Pandemonium by Lauren OliverHallowed by Cynthia HandFever by Lauren DeStefanoA Million Suns by Beth RevisThe Golden Lily by Richelle Mead
2012 YA/MG Sequels
45th out of 144 books — 845 voters
Insurgent by Veronica RothFever by Lauren DeStefanoA Million Suns by Beth RevisHallowed by Cynthia HandThe Evolution of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin
2012 Sophomore YA Releases
24th out of 92 books — 404 voters

More lists with this book...

Catarina: Reading and Things
Please let her stay with Kona! I didn't like Mark to begin with, I don't know why but I didn't. Maybe it was his jealous nature. Whatever, PLEASE LET HER CHOOSE KONA!!!!!
Marie
Not nearly as good as the first:(!!
Really disappointing!

I LOVE Kona! I want her to be with KONA, I want her to stay with Kona and I want her to leave and stay away from Mark!

Oh gosh! This book really pissed me off! Tempest is really really annoying! She changes her mind like she changes the weather! It's so not faire, and definitely not faire to Kona!

In book 1 it was understandable but enough is enough! She needs to make her mind up and it better be Kona she picks or these books can burn!
Garrett
WOW. This review is long overdue; like, three months overdue. But without further ado, here's my review for Tempest Unleashed, the second installment of Tracy Deebs's Tempest trilogy.

Unleashed continues the story of Tempest Maguire, a teenage girl who is growing into her destiny of becoming a great and powerful mermaid. Of course, the first book was supposed to be about that as well, but we didn't see an actual mermaid scene in the first book until the last twenty pages or so. I think that's why...more
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads)
A Mini-Review in Thirty Words (starting now):

*Freaking love triangles! Me no likey!
*Very cool under-the-sea action and descriptions!
*Tempest is a bad*ss, so she gets brownie points!
*Freaking book snuck up on me!

Reviewed for Affaire de Coeur in the June issue. http://affairedecoeur.com.
Weronika
Ugh this was so frustrating... The first half of the book was boring and the other half just plain annoying. I hate when the main character doesn't grow throughout the series. I mean Tempest is suppose to be this baddest of them all mermaid but instead she just turns into a bigger brat than she already was. The whole love triangle- so predictable. First book she was all over Kona because he finally made her feel normal and she just knew they were connected somehow and Mark was just a human boy s...more
~Tina~

Tempest Unleashed is one of those really great reads that is perfect for basking in the sun on a warm summers day.
This was even better then the first! The under-water world is vividly gorgeous, loved the action and kick-ass powers and best of all, I didn't actually expect that ending. It's very rare where I actually see the girl pick the guy I've always secretly wanted for her. Brilliant!

We're getting another book, right?
Nikki
Unfortunately, I did not love it, or even like it. It had a good plot, but the characters! Tempest seemed incredibly annoying, naïve and thought she knew everything. It just annoyed the hell out of me when she made everyone feel guilty when she was the one who was wrong. Really…she also kept switching from Kona to Mark. From Mark to Kona. From Kona to Mark. From Mark to…you get the point. It really did annoy me, even more when she said that she loved them both. And (SPOILER NEXT) I can’t believe...more
Mary
I loved the book, really I did, but the wishy washy crap between Mark and Kona. I thought it had been bad in book. Times it by like nearly every other page. And then who she ends up with...

Personally, I loved Kona more than Mark from the get-go. I can't really say way, I just think he appealed to me more with the way his character was portrayed, how he acted, the way he carried himself, etc, more than Mark, who (view spoiler)...more
Laura YA indie princess
Aug 24, 2011 Laura YA indie princess marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2012
So excited for this
Arti
HOW DARE SHE? How dare Tempest goes running back to Mark! KONA AND TEMPEST ARE PERFECT! Thats probably the main reason I didnt like the love triangle. Cause like, how can she love BOTH guys? I mean seriously. She really can not make up her mind.

ANYWHO, I thought this was a great follow up book to Tempest Rising. Its basically building up on the destruction that Tiamat has been doing since she fought Tempest 8 months ago. Now Tiamat's destroyed a few kingdoms and killed a bunch of people. Oh yeah...more
Rose
Initial reaction: Better than the first book and a fine sequel considering the scheme of events, but the biggest drawback for this book? The love triangle. It's always the kicker. =/

Full review:

Color me very surprised by "Tempest Unleashed." While the first book is easy to swallow down as a quick but cliched read in the scheme of paranormal romance with coming of age elements, this book upped the stakes by a good margin. I'll admit it had me more than the first book did for the level of conflict...more
Guitar Chick
Does anyone else think the mermaid on the cover looks old? I'll probably end up reading this anyway.
EDIT!
I read the book, and I really liked it!
A winning combination of action, very sweet romance, and realistic emotion. Perhaps the coolest thing about Tempest is her arrestingly human moments seen through the book. Very good.
Courtney
Dec 25, 2011 Courtney marked it as to-read
Why would she even consider going back to Mark??
Say
May 07, 2014 Say marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Ok, I don't know if I would still read this later on....or not. Reading the blurb I got a bad feeling about this, and two chapters in I really have a bad feeling about it. Not about the story but who she would choose in the end. Which is kinda confusing considering how book one ended. It just didn't make sense. AT ALL. See that's the problem with love triangles. It muddles the mind of the readers. So, with that said I don't know if I'll continue on with it. But I guess.....NOT.
Tia
!!!!SPOILERS -- BEWARE, TURN AWAY NOW.!!!!!

So I just received my ARC copy of this today. I screamed the most girlish scream you can imagine and jumped right into it. I have been desperately waiting for this book since I read the first book in the series.

I was NOT disappointed. Tracy Deebs/Wolf is an amazing writer/author. Her books have such emotion and are so well put together. She has to be one of my favorite authors, right up there with Anne Mather & Penny Jordan.

When I started Tempest Un...more
Truly Bookish
Tempest Maguire is finding out that the grass is not always greener on the other side. After making the painful but solid decision to leave her life on land and embrace her mermaid heritage in the sea, Tempest is now having doubts that she did the right thing. Life in the mermaid kingdom is not going the way she thought it would: Tempest is constantly at odds with Hailana, the scheming mermaid queen she serves, mer politics are treacherous and she has started having arguments with Kona, her selk...more
Angelc
I really enjoyed the first book in this series, but the sequel is even better by far! I had a hard time with Tempest's final decision in the first book (I suppose it's not a spoiler since it's in the blurb for this book), but now that the decision (seemingly) was made, I really enjoyed the story told from the ocean world better than the story on land in the first book.

The author has a built an amazing world under the sea, and I'd much rather read about that than Tempest's everyday life on land w...more
Kristin
I wanted so desperately to like this book. I just want a good YA romance series with mermaids, and I found the first entry to be enjoyable enough. I especially loved the addition of selkies to the mix and the ensuing selkie-mermaid-human love triangle. And the fact that Tempest was full of girl power.

I really struggled to get through this one though, almost from the beginning. I hate to call it boring, but it must have been because I rarely struggle like this. Part of my frustration was that Dee...more
Julia
Wow, the voice and narration in this book was particularly awful. If I had to read "I know, baby" one more time I was going to hurl. Tempest is unlikeable. She flip flops between the two guys and she also has an annoying internal monologue full of all the obvious cliches she can think of and annoying rambling thoughts - all telling no action. For all the war and destruction in this book, there is very little action that goes on - it's all talked about after the fact. Is it just me but if Moku be...more
Michelle
Short & Sweet Review from Michelle:
I enjoy this series. It's not anything monumental, but it's a fun mermaid book. Tempest, our heroine, is strong, but not overly so. She still has a vulnerable side. What disappointed me about this 2nd installment was the romance. It felt so haphazard this time around. Maybe I'm remembering the characters differently, but some of the behavior seemed out of character and I just didn't buy it. The book felt less cohesive and while epic battle at the end was de...more
Imani
This book irritated me. When people die it's not just oh well let's see when I can go back to land usually some emotion besides just saying that's sad is involved. Tempest has no respect for anyone, not herself, not to Kona her boyfriend or mark her ex, or even the queen that took her in. She's unfaithful and honestly just unreliable. Tempest was unfaithful in the first book and it seems old habits die hard.

Spoilers coming: again Tempest was unfaithful to her new boyfriend( Kona) and she revert...more
Melanie
I am torn with this book. I want to give it a 1.5 stars, because I hated the ending. HATED IT. The first half was interesting and the play between the characters kept me wondering where the story was going. However, there are a lot of things that went south for me fast at the end.

First, the prerequisite love triangle. Ugh. One guy is over 200 years old, but acts like a petulant child. The other is less irritating, but her bouncing between them is driving me crazy. The real matter is that she is...more
Steffi
Feb 05, 2014 Steffi added it
Shelves: mermaids
Darcy
I liked the first book, so I was sad that this book didn't live up to that one. After 140 pages I am giving up. I found my mind wandering while reading and kept putting it down. Tempest seemed so wishy washy this time around. I can see why she wanted to go home, but when she did her actions seemed out of character and then she didn't even do what she set out to do. It seemed like Tempest did whatever told from the Mer-Queen, which I didn't like. In the end this one wasn't for me.
Fangs for the Fantasy
Tempest is not setting in well as the merfolk’s saviour. She misses her home, she misses her family and, most guilt causing of all, she misses Matt, her human ex-boyfriend. Something she hopes to keep from Kona, her Selkie current boyfriend – and a prince no less.

To make matters worse, she and Hailaine, merQueen, keep butting heads and can’t seem to agree with anything, least of all the many many things that Hailaine thinks she needs to learn.

But Tiamat is still out there and still plotting to t...more
Cynthia
Amazing plot. Kona is perfect. But I HATE when a girl can't make up her damn mind about a guy. Like stop being a hoe. Ugh. Probably would have given it 5 stars but like I said. The whole idiotic Mark situation had me slamming the book down. Just, no.
Nicole (Reading Books With Coffee)
I don't tend to read mermaid novels for some reason, which is weird, because I really like mermaids. But I really liked Tempest Unleashed! I think it definitely bridges the gap between Tempest Rising and whatever is going to happen in Tempest Revealed. The things that happen, especially towards the end of the book...it definitely kept my interest, especially when Tempest discovers a cave that has oodles of pearls that contain her mother's memories and regrets. Which is an interesting concept, an...more
Katrina Tinnon
Such an emotional roller coaster. One minute Tempest is happy as can be and the next she is miserable. There are a ton of trust issues that carry on in the sequel to Tempest Rising.

Tempest is still confused about her choices and who she is. She doesn't seem to be able to accept herself and feels like she is split in two. In her eyes, there is no way she'll ever feel like a complete person. The prophecy that's is supposedly about her doesn't help matters either.

Kona was less likeable to me in t...more
Britney
My Thoughts:

Oh the mermaids! It is a quickly rising genre these days, and the first book in this series, Tempest Rising, is one of the first mermaid novels I read. And I really enjoyed it. But Tempest Unleashed was even better. There is some serious conflict building in TU and Tempest rises to the challenge brilliantly and stays in character with her past decisions from book 1.

Of course the love triangle continues, and it is even more complicated this go around. Tempest is in love with Kona and...more
The BookWhisperer
Deebs continues to impress me with her elegant ability to create a magic mermaid story. Many attempts at such a story will seem to “cheesy”, for lack of a better word, and remain overall realistic. The tempest series seems to overcome many of the obstacles, and create not only a realistic like story, but one that readers will enjoy imagining. After the close of Tempest Rising I was anxious to see where book two would take us after Tempest made the decision to choose the sea. It was interesting t...more
Kona or Mark???? 3 8 Mar 07, 2013 07:17PM
  • Just for Fins (Fins, #3)
  • Waking Storms (Lost Voices, #2)
  • Evergreen (Mer Tales, #2)
  • Fathom
  • Fury's Fire (Siren's Storm, #2)
  • May (Daughters of the Sea, #2)
  • Dark Water (Siren, #3)
  • Deep Betrayal (Lies Beneath, #2)
  • The Secret of the Emerald Sea
  • The Moon and the Tide (Marina's Tales, #2)
  • Tidal Whispers
  • The Vicious Deep (The Vicious Deep #1)
  • Tangled Tides (The Sea Monster Memoirs, #1)
  • Shift (Firstborn Trilogy, #2)
  • Merrow
  • Siren's Call (Dark Tides, #1)
  • Stormswept (Ingo, #5)
  • Mermaid Park
YA pseudonym of Romance novelist Tracy Wolff.
More about Tracy Deebs...
Tempest Rising (Tempest, #1) Doomed Tempest Revealed (Tempest, #3)