Start by marking “The Stonekeeper (Amulet, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Stonekeeper (Amulet, #1)

The Stonekeeper (Amulet #1)

4.14  ·  Rating Details ·  31,258 Ratings  ·  2,802 Reviews
Graphic novel star Kazu Kibuishi creates a world of terrible, man-eating demons, a mechanical rabbit, a giant robot---and two ordinary children on a life-or-death mission.

After the tragic death of their father, Emily and Navin move with their mother to the home of her deceased great-grandfather, but the strange house proves to be dangerous. Before long, a sinister creature
Published January 1st 2008 by GRAPHIX

To ask other readers questions about The Stonekeeper, please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Jeremiah This isn't a question.

Riley
Mar 24, 2016 Riley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
Just as good as the first time I read it!!
Patrick
Nov 30, 2014 Patrick rated it really liked it
A fun graphic novel. It's probably YA, or middle grade. But I still enjoyed it pretty well.

My main gripe? This first story starts out with the death of a parent. Like, in the first four pages. That's heavy-handed storytelling, and this book is better than that. In the same way that you don't have someone kill a kid as a cheap way to establish a villain, you shouldn't have to kill a kid's parent to provide characterization and motivation for the young protagonist.

It says a lot that after that s
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
Jul 05, 2014 Jesse (JesseTheReader) rated it it was amazing
I was not expecting to like this graphic novel as much as I did! It's darker than I had expected it to be. I'm pumped to continue on with this series!
Natalie
Apr 30, 2016 Natalie rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
description

Amulet’s story is about a young girl named Emily (“Em”) and her younger brother, Navin. Two years after Emily’s father dies in a car accident, she moves with her mother, Karen, and Navin to a house that has been in the family for years. The locals believe that the house is haunted, yet Karen chooses to ignore the rumors. And soon, the family discovers a small door in the basement of the house leading to an alternate version of earth known as "Alledia".

description

Emily has to decide if she wants to be the n
Melissa ♥ Dog Lover ♥ Martin
I loved this little graphic novel! My favorite is the pink bunny named Miskit :-)

So Emily's dad dies in a car wreck, Emily and her mom were in the car with him. The book jumps ahead 2 years and Emily's mom takes her and her brother Navin and moves to and old family home out in the middle of no where.

When they are all cleaning the house, Emily finds this amulet. She decides to keep it and it talks to her, I want one!

All kinds of things happen and Emily and Navin are on a search for their mom, w
The Holy Terror
Not very many novels, let alone a graphic novel, stir up a visible emotional response from me (for example: something might be funny but I'll rarely laugh out loud.) This book, however, made me cry within the first 15 pages. Now, that's an accomplishment! I'll admit though, I'm a bit of a softy when it comes to moms or husbands dying, so your mileage may vary with that.

The story is a familiar one; a magical object passed down in the family contains enough power to save the world, and a young gir
Rachel Reads Ravenously
3.5 stars!

I am currently enrolled in a class for my library science program, and it's titled Materials for Tweens. I was assigned to the graphic novels group project. Because of this, you guys will see me reading a lot of children's/middle grade books in the future. I picked up Amulet because it's a popular children's graphic novel and came highly recommended to me by children and adult librarians.

Two years after the tragic death of her father, Emily moves with her mother and younger brother i
Regan
Jun 07, 2014 Regan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-owned-read
4.89676

I really really really really enjoyed this! Much darker than what I was expecting but amazing nonetheless. Also, this just reminded me so much of a Miyazaki film that I just couldn't stop smiling! I NEED THE NEXT ONES!
Roya
Feb 15, 2016 Roya rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: okay
Read the first four in this series years ago and decided to revisit the world. The seventh book comes out next week, so the timing is good. I'm at the bank and read this on the ComiXology app on my phone to quell my boredom. It was okay. I think I liked it more when I first read it, but tastes change. It's still a decent start. The amulet concept is reminiscent of Lord of The Rings. Will be reading more of these shortly.
Johnny Papadopoulos
Sep 12, 2016 Johnny Papadopoulos rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Cool!
What an enjoyable read this has been! I loved it! Felt like i was watching one of my favorite 90s show. The nostalgia feels hit me hard. Action packed, fast paced, suspenseful ride! Such a great finale to end book 1. We had 20% dialogue and 80% visual that is why in my opinion it is such a fast read. I find the art pretty amazing i would just stare at it for a few mins and then move on to the next page. I would have enjoyed it a bit more though, if there was more dialogue and interaction b
Laura Evlolle
Dec 28, 2015 Laura Evlolle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
3,5 bis 4 Sterne.
Es schöner Einstieg in die Geschichte, ich freue mich darauf, mehr von der Welt zu sehen und noch ein paar Hintergründe zu erfahren. :)
Alles in allem ist es etwas kindlicher, als ich erwartet hätte, aber das ist vollkommen okay. :D
Ashley Metzger
Jul 27, 2015 Ashley Metzger rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I adored this graphic novel! I liked the story, quite a lot. I loved the art. I can't wait to pick up volume 2!
Jim Ef
Jan 12, 2016 Jim Ef rated it really liked it
This starts in a very classic way. A family ( a mom with her two kids ) moves to a small town after a tragedy. The house was their grandfathers who also passed away. So far nothing new

When a monster grabs their mother it's up to the kids to save her. They'll find themselfs in a very weird place with weird creatures in it.

Besides the not so original start ( and that's why i gave 4 stars ) everything else is good.
Betsy
Sep 22, 2008 Betsy rated it liked it
Meh.

Every story, whether it's being told orally, as a book, as a graphic novel, or in a kind of performance is allowed to reuse old tropes. Particularly when the story being told is appropriate for kids, there's a talent in figuring out how to use familiar images and objects in new and exciting ways. It's what distinguishes the good writing from the knock-offs. The storyline that involves a hero who finds a powerful object of some sort that could be good or could be bad is one pretty classic exa
Tilly
Jul 02, 2016 Tilly rated it it was amazing
This comic has everything what a good middle-grade adventure needs: Likable characters, an interesting plot, interesting magical elements, a very mystical charm and so much more. I am very excited for the next one in the series. Especially after reading "I Hate Fairyland" yesterday, it was a nice variety today to read something more child-friendly :D I would highly recommend it, especially if you want to get into graphic novels and don´t know where to start because this one is really easy-going. ...more
Nusrat
Apr 27, 2016 Nusrat rated it it was amazing
It's dark and beautiful. the artwork is enchanting, so is the story. highly recommend to anybody who loves graphic novels.

কবে যে আমাদের দেশে এমন রঙের খেলার বই আসবে। হচছে যে না একদম তা না, কিনতু ডারক ফযানটাসির সাথে এমন কালার, আরট, গরাফিকসের কাজ দেখলে কলিজা টা জুড়ায় যায়। ই কপি পড়েই এই অবসথা। হারডকপি হাতে পাইলে ফিট খেয়ে পরে থাকতাম নিশচিত।
Rebecca T
Oct 12, 2015 Rebecca T rated it liked it
I suck at reviewing graphic novels so here are my habitual dot points:

- I know this is a middle-grade read but overall it missed the mark with me.
- The art was cute, but I wasn’t a fan of the mother’s painfully long face.
- Fast paced yet it feels like nothing is happening
- Miskit is the cutest to ever cute.
- Navin > Emily, which is strange because the girls are usually my fave.
- Seemed to drag on despite its short 187 pages.
Ariel
Sep 08, 2016 Ariel rated it liked it
This is such a fun read! The artwork is stunning.. the use of colour is so rich and everything feels really alive. And the story is really light hearted and friendly. It's quite an adventure! I think my problem comes with the shortness.. I didn't have enough time to discover the world or the characters. I really like the side characters, but I need to see more! One thing I really loved was the emphasis on family!
Jacob McCabe
Jul 26, 2015 Jacob McCabe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*4.5*

Fun story! I wish some things were explained more, but I assume that will come in the next few books. The art was amazing!
Annemieke
Aug 26, 2015 Annemieke rated it really liked it
Next to hearing general good things, I was not sure what to expect from Amulet. I was not disappointed however.

Let’s start with the art that is mostly consistent throughout. Kazu Kibuishi has his own style, and the way that he draws the characters does take some getting used to. It started to endear me as I continued reading. It does fit with the age that these children, that are the main characters, seem to be. But what I think is the best part art wise of this graphic novel, are some of the d
Apr 04, 2016 Jennifer rated it liked it
I give this book a 3.5 because I enjoyed the book, but felt the plot lacked something. The story was cute probably geared to younger readers more like grade school. I still plan to read others in the series.
Ferdy
Fun start to the series. The adventure storyline was simple and enjoyable and the world, characters, and artwork were good too.
David Schaafsma
Jun 29, 2016 David Schaafsma rated it really liked it
Shelves: gn-children, tweens
I first read this children's/tween graphic novel (first volume) about four years ago, and I liked it quite a bit. My whole household has read all of the volumes now and so I thought I should also read everything, and to do that I had to start over from the beginning.

I liked it quite a bit, though it is not surprising in almost any way. There's a tragic death of the father really on, the mother and two kids move to a sort of haunted house where they find an amulet, wear it and enter a parallel (
Kelli
Apr 04, 2016 Kelli rated it liked it
Another children's graphic novel that I read before allowing my son to dive into the series. This is a creepy story with some familiar fantastical elements and great artwork. It is probably intended for middle grade. The fantasy world (in general) is not something I'm drawn to but he enjoyed it and is ready for the next one.
Krista Wright
Sep 25, 2015 Krista Wright rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very cute story, and I love the artwork! Everything happened so fast though, I'm hoping for a little more explanation for things in the future.
Hassan
That was fast and fun.
amazing art, i really wanna read the rest of the books.
Maisie
Jan 29, 2015 Maisie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015-reads
This was awesome!
Rachel
Mar 24, 2015 Rachel rated it really liked it
"After a sudden tragedy falls upon the family, Emily, her brother, and her mother move to a new house to try and move on from the past. Upon arriving at this peculiar house, Emily and her brother stumble upon the long forgotten room of their great grandfather and learn of his odd disappearance. On their first night strange noise wake the family and Emily and her brother are left alone when a strange tentacled monster take their mother away. Is the strange amulet that Emily found involved? It is ...more
Coleen (The Book Ramblings)
The Stonekeeper was an enjoyable, quick read, but I did not love it. For me, I feel like this is more of a 2 star read, but because of the premise and artwork, overall I did enjoy it, so I'm giving it 3 stars. It felt like something was missing, perhaps the lack of focus on a real introduction to the characters, so there isn't a connection with the reader. It was an adventure, and dark, to my pleasant surprise. However, so much was happening so quickly without any impression, and yet the ...more
GeekChat Book Club: * The Official Discussion for "The Stonekeeper" 1 2 Jul 05, 2016 11:58AM
What did you think of it and how did you feel when the dad died and the mom was taken the monsters? 1 1 Jun 16, 2016 06:05AM
which is better 3 10 May 23, 2016 04:54PM
graphic novel 1 9 Feb 02, 2016 06:21AM
  • Zita the Spacegirl (Zita the Spacegirl, #1)
  • Owly, Vol. 2: Just a Little Blue (Owly, #2)
  • Princeless, Vol. 1: Save Yourself
  • Bone, Vol. 4: The Dragonslayer (Bone, #4)
  • Hilda and the Bird Parade
  • The Boy Who Crashed to Earth (HiLo #1)
  • The Secret of the Stone Frog: A TOON Graphic
  • Jellaby: Monster in the City (Jellaby, #2)
  • How Mirka Met a Meteorite (Hereville #2)
  • Cardboard
  • The Nameless City
  • The Secret Science Alliance and the Copycat Crook
  • Giants Beware! (Chronicles of Claudette #1)
Kazu Kibuishi (born 1978) is an American graphic novel author and illustrator. He is best known for being the creator and editor of the comic anthology Flight and for creating the webcomic Copper. He has also written (drawn) the Amulet series. The webcomic artist and noted critic Scott McCloud has said that some of Kazu Kibuishi's work is so beautifully drawn that "it hurts my hands when I look at ...more
More about Kazu Kibuishi...

Amulet (7 books)
  • The Stonekeeper's Curse (Amulet, #2)
  • The Cloud Searchers (Amulet, #3)
  • The Last Council (Amulet, #4)
  • Prince of the Elves (Amulet, #5)
  • Escape from Lucien (Amulet, #6)
  • Firelight (Amulet, #7)