Start by marking “Amulet, Vol. 1: The Stonekeeper (Amulet, #1)” as Want to Read:
Amulet, Vol. 1: The Stonekeeper (Amulet, #1)

Amulet, Vol. 1: The Stonekeeper (Amulet #1)

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  20,690 ratings  ·  1,770 reviews
Graphic novel star Kazu Kibuishi creates a world of terrible, man-eating demons, a mechanical rabbit, a giant robot---and two ordinary children on a life-or-death mission.

After the tragic death of their father, Emily and Navin move with their mother to the home of her deceased great-grandfather, but the strange house proves to be dangerous. Before long, a sinister creatur
Published January 1st 2008 by GRAPHIX

To ask other readers questions about Amulet, Vol. 1, please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Jeremiah This isn't a question.
Brianna It's worth buying or at least getting from your library!!

Patrick
A fun graphic novel. It's probably YA, or middle grade. But I still enjoyed it pretty well.

My main gripe? This first story starts out with the death of a parent. Like, in the first four pages. That's heavy-handed storytelling, and this book is better than that. In the same way that you don't have someone kill a kid as a cheap way to establish a villain, you shouldn't have to kill a kid's parent to provide characterization and motivation for the young protagonist.

It says a lot that after that s
The Holy Terror
Not very many novels, let alone a graphic novel, stir up a visible emotional response from me (for example: something might be funny but I'll rarely laugh out loud.) This book, however, made me cry within the first 15 pages. Now, that's an accomplishment! I'll admit though, I'm a bit of a softy when it comes to moms or husbands dying, so your mileage may vary with that.

The story is a familiar one; a magical object passed down in the family contains enough power to save the world, and a young gir
Rachel ♥Reads Ravenously♥
3.5 stars!

I am currently enrolled in a class for my library science program, and it's titled Materials for Tweens. I was assigned to the graphic novels group project. Because of this, you guys will see me reading a lot of children's/middle grade books in the future. I picked up Amulet because it's a popular children's graphic novel and came highly recommended to me by children and adult librarians.

Two years after the tragic death of her father, Emily moves with her mother and younger brother i
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
I was not expecting to like this graphic novel as much as I did! It's darker than I had expected it to be. I'm pumped to continue on with this series!
Betsy
Meh.

Every story, whether it's being told orally, as a book, as a graphic novel, or in a kind of performance is allowed to reuse old tropes. Particularly when the story being told is appropriate for kids, there's a talent in figuring out how to use familiar images and objects in new and exciting ways. It's what distinguishes the good writing from the knock-offs. The storyline that involves a hero who finds a powerful object of some sort that could be good or could be bad is one pretty classic exa
Regan
4.89676

I really really really really enjoyed this! Much darker than what I was expecting but amazing nonetheless. Also, this just reminded me so much of a Miyazaki film that I just couldn't stop smiling! I NEED THE NEXT ONES!
Rachel
"After a sudden tragedy falls upon the family, Emily, her brother, and her mother move to a new house to try and move on from the past. Upon arriving at this peculiar house, Emily and her brother stumble upon the long forgotten room of their great grandfather and learn of his odd disappearance. On their first night strange noise wake the family and Emily and her brother are left alone when a strange tentacled monster take their mother away. Is the strange amulet that Emily found involved? It is ...more
Maisie
This was awesome!
Andrew
I first picked this up because I needed a graphic novel for the 2015 reading challenge. I wanted something I'd never read before and honestly, there's not much to get from my local library in the graphic novels section. When I got to the library to hang out with friends, I headed straight over to the graphic novels section and looked through it. I wanted something that caught my eye straight away, something I wanted to pick up and immediately read by the name of the book and the cover (Even thou ...more
Ferdy
Fun start to the series. The adventure storyline was simple and enjoyable and the world, characters, and artwork were good too.
Beatrix Minkov
The art was STUNNING, and I adored Miskit! He reminded me of the Happy Tree Friends, and I am glad that he didn't die in a gruesome way within a few pages ;). I think it was a good start for the series, although I can imagine that people who would like to read it as a stand-alone wouldn't be satisfied, because nothing much seems to happen. Personally, I thought that because of the simple storyline, the art worked out really well. I am definitely continuing this series by reading the other volume ...more
Paulo (Bookswithtea)
I really enjoyed this first volume! It was a light, fun but really awesome read!! The artwork is great and the characters are really cool! And the ending was really good as well, it left me wanting the next volume!!
Daniel
Odlican pocetak serije, dosta maste i interesantnih ideja. Za sada mi se svidja.

Jedini minus je najverovatnije to sto sam ja jedno 20 stariji nego sto bi trebalo :P Oh well, nema pomoci :)
Jessica
The first thing that caught my eye about this book was the cover. I found the cover beautiful and intriguing. I immediately had high expectations from this book and I was not disappointed.

At first, I thought is strange that one of the main characters in a somewhat scary and extremely action packed graphic novel was a cute pink and white rabbit, but I fell in love with all of the characters in this book. They are all incredibly unique and quirky.

My favorite part of the first volume of this series
Chelsea Goranson
This was SO MUCH FUN to read! The artwork was incredible and the story was so interesting. Can't wait to carry on with this series!
Selma
this was so much fun !!
Ariel
This is such a fun read! The artwork is stunning.. the use of colour is so rich and everything feels really alive. And the story is really light hearted and friendly. It's quite an adventure! I think my problem comes with the shortness.. I didn't have enough time to discover the world or the characters. I really like the side characters, but I need to see more! One thing I really loved was the emphasis on family!
Brittany
Fair warning, I'm rating and reviewing this book in the same fashion that I think my kid will do in years to come. Because this is a book for boys and girls alike.

So yeah, this is definitely a kids book. The artwork makes that clear, as does the dialogue. But it's full of action and sacrifice and emotion nonetheless, and I really enjoyed it. And let me just say, this was not only a quick read for me because the dialogue is on a much lower level. The action propels you along and makes you want to
Kellee
A fun M.G. graphic novel that is full of emotions and adventure.

This story began with one of the saddest moments in a story I have ever read in a middle grade story- a daughter, Emily, (& her mother) watches her father die after a car crash. He is alive and talking when the car falls over a cliff. Devastating! And on top of that, after she moves with her family to a new house in the middle of nowhere, she discovers an alternate universe where her mother is taken from her- what tough luck in
J. Torres
I really wanted to love this book. I'd heard so many good things about it, and I do like Kibuishi's art quite a bit, both in this and in Flight, and it simply sounded like my kind of graphic novel. I guess my problem with the story is that it's very familiar. Yes, all the necessary elements for an amazing fantasy tale are there, but it's almost paint by numbers. And there's nothing wrong with playing with archetypes and classic plots and all that good stuff that works, but I suppose I found myse ...more
neeecole
Oct 06, 2008 neeecole rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone! youngins', teens, old folks, me, you, your mom
Recommended to neeecole by: nicole.
Just finished Amulet: Book 1: The Stone Keeper and I want moooooooore! I bought this at Comic Con this year, after it was recommended by my friend Nicole. She knows the artist/author and he signed it with a cute little bunny drawing! Any way, GREAT! adventure/fantasy graphic novel series... and I heard it's already being optioned for a movie. I am super happy to see another female heroine in the lead role, so the little girl inside of me jumps for joy and longs for the days of having silly adven ...more
Shannon (leaninglights)
So good!! I got sucked in right away and I really wasn't expecting to fall in love with the story. I might have to buy all of this series!
Katie
Loved this!
Courtney
This is the first graphic novel I've read and I must say I was very impressed. It was a fun, fast paced story. I do think that beginning was a bit abrupt, but it was a nice story. And the illustrations were beautiful. Full review can be found here: http://courtneysreads.blogspot.com/20...
Nay Denise
This was a fantastic middle grade graphic novel. Emily and Navin have gone through so much and through the pain Emily pushed forward for the sake of her family. I absolutely love this! I'm glad she did not kill the Elf Prince and used her power for only good.

Amazing and I must continue on!
Mrs. Knott
I figured I should really get around to reading this since the majority of our 3rd and 4th graders have read this series. There's been a huge demand for the books, it's been hard to actually get a copy to read!
And I see why they are so popular...mystery, suspense, fantasy. It's good.
Ahmed
This is a rely good book and I hop to read the next one I also hop all my friends. Oils read it and ring it interesting I also want to read all the series.
Elisa
You can also find more reviews at my blog Lii's Adventures in Bookland

I got into this graphic novel knowing nothing about it. I had only heard of the hype around it, and I must say the hype is quite accurate.
In the beginning Amulet reminded me of the spiderwick chronicles but then it took a turn for the good - don't get this wrong I'm just saying it had nothing to do with the spiderwick chronicles.
The prologue of this graphic novel freaking broke my heart and it !axe immediately love Em and her
Raina
Jun 19, 2012 Raina rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Raina by: Rachel
Shelves: creepyish, graphicnovel, j
I know, I know. Not quite sure why it took me this long to read this, either.

But there it is.

I was actually surprised by this. I was surprised by the darkness. By the ambiguity. By the sadness and the mashup of elements.

There are elements I really really liked. The mushrooms, some of the creatures, the HOUSE every time it appeared. Actually, BOTH of the houses are pretty awesome.

Granted, I've only read (and will probably only read) the first volume, but I didn't get why the rabbit character s
Loved it so it so much got interested in it! 1 3 Mar 26, 2015 07:15AM
What's The Name o...: SOLVED. Help me find this Comic/manga: [s] 4 27 Mar 30, 2014 09:25AM
Graphic Novel 3 23 Nov 13, 2013 06:26PM
Pritzker Summer R...: Graphic Novel 1 2 Aug 20, 2013 10:47PM
Pritzker Summer R...: Graphic Novel 1 1 Aug 20, 2013 10:46PM
  • Jellaby (Jellaby, #1)
  • Zita the Spacegirl (Zita the Spacegirl, #1)
  • Bone, Vol. 4: The Dragonslayer (Bone, #4)
  • Save Yourself (Princeless, Vol. 1)
  • How Mirka Met a Meteorite (Hereville #2)
  • The Secret of the Stone Frog: A TOON Graphic
  • Hilda and the Bird Parade
  • Sidekicks
  • Tower of Treasure (Three Thieves, #1)
  • Bad Island
  • Giants Beware!
  • The Golden Twine
  • Nathan Hale's Hazardous Tales: One Dead Spy
  • Amelia Rules! Volume 1: The Whole World's Crazy (Amelia Rules! #1)
  • Cleopatra in Space #1: Target Practice (Cleopatra in Space, #1)
  • Binky to the Rescue
  • The Secret Science Alliance and the Copycat Crook
Kazu Kibuishi (born 1978) is an American graphic novel author and illustrator. He is best known for being the creator and editor of the comic anthology Flight and for creating the webcomic Copper. He has also written (drawn) the Amulet series. The webcomic artist and noted critic Scott McCloud has said that some of Kazu Kibuishi's work is so beautifully drawn that "it hurts my hands when I look at ...more
More about Kazu Kibuishi...

Amulet (7 books)
  • Amulet, Vol. 2: The Stonekeeper's Curse (Amulet, #2)
  • Amulet, Vol. 3: The Cloud Searchers (Amulet, #3)
  • Amulet, Vol. 4: The Last Council (Amulet, #4)
  • Amulet, Vol. 5: Prince of the Elves (Amulet, #5)
  • Amulet, Vol. 6: Escape From Lucien (Amulet, #6)
  • Amulet, Vol. 7: Firelight (Amulet, #7)
Amulet, Vol. 2: The Stonekeeper's Curse (Amulet, #2) Amulet, Vol. 3: The Cloud Searchers (Amulet, #3) Amulet, Vol. 4: The Last Council (Amulet, #4) Amulet, Vol. 5: Prince of the Elves (Amulet, #5) Flight, Vol. 1 (Flight, #1)