Karpatlar Şatosu

Karpatlar Şatosu (Călătorii Extraordinare #37)

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  1,359 ratings  ·  61 reviews
Transilvanya'daki Werst Köyü'nde, terk edilmiş bir şatoda endişe verici olaylar yaşandığına dair söylentiler dolaşmaktadır. Kont Franz de Télek opera sanatçısı nişanlısı La Stilla'nın ölümünü unutabilmek için yolculuk etmektedir. Kont, Werst'e gelir. Şato'nun, La Stilla ölürken kendisini lanetleyen Rodolphe de Gortz'a ait olduğunu öğrenir. Télek uzun uğraşlar sonunda bu ko...more
Published August 2007 (first published 1889)

To ask other readers questions about Karpatlar Şatosu, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Karpatlar Şatosu

Apr 01, 2014 Laura rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all Jules Verne's fans
Recommended to Laura by: msleighm
The original French text is available at eBooks@Adelaide.

The English version which was kindly found by Wanda can be found at OpenLibrary

The Carpathian Castle (French: Le Château des Carpathes) is a novel by Jules Verne first published in 1893. It is possible that Bram Stoker took inspiration from this for his 1897 novel Dracula.

Opening lines:
Cette histoire n’est pas fantastique, elle n’est que romanesque. Faut-il en conclure qu’elle ne soit pas vraie, étant donné son invraisemblance? Ce serait u
Shawn
description
When reviewing a classic it is important to judge it in the context of the time that it was written. If we’re going to judge a classic, we need to be able to step away from our preconceptions of what good literature is and evaluate each work on its own merits. It isn’t fair to judge a work of art by contemporary expectations. We should consider the society and the times in which a particular work was written. What did the author set out to accomplish? What is the effect of the novel on the read...more
John
Sep 28, 2007 John rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Victorian sf fans, Victorian horror fans
This book is an interesting mix of themes related to both Dracula and Phantom of the Opera, with a bit of early sf thrown in. On the border of Transylvania (where else?) a shepherd sees smoke rising from the long-deserted castle of Baron Rodolphe (sic). He and the local doctor (a cowardly skeptic) investigate and are driven off by apparently supernatural forces. A curious traveler, Baron Franz von Telek, also investigates and sees what appears to be a beautiful opera singer he had almost married...more
Duane
One of Verne's shorter novels, and one that may appeal mostly to Verne fans rather than casual readers or to those who know Verne only through Around the World in 80 Days or one of his other famous novels. But Castle in Transylvania displays elements from the gothic and the romantic, plus some geographical information that was mandatory for Verne's contract with publisher Hertzel for the Voyages Extraordinaires series. It also incorporates some scientific information, which may seem oddly justap...more
C.C. Thomas
Jules Verne was such a visionary. At times, it's a little creepy. While most certainly known as the Father of Science Fiction, so much of what he wrote about would later become just another fact of our crazy world--submarines, travel by balloon, travel to the moon, etc. And here is just one more example: Verne started the vampire craze?!?

Before there was even a Dracula on the market (published in 1897), Verne had published The Castle of the Carpathians in 1893 (Carpathians don't sound nearly so...more
tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE
review of
Jules Verne's Carpathian Castle
by tENTATIVELY, a cONVENIENCE - March 18, 2013

This is the 3rd Verne bk I've read in a row now. It actually increased my admiration for him b/c it's so different from anything else that I've read. This is his "Gothic" novel & it does fit the bill. 40 yrs or so ago I went thru a phase of exploring Gothic novels - esp when I learned that the Surrealists liked them. I'd already read Bram Stoker's Dracula when I was around 12. Of course I read Mary Shell...more
Elisa
How did I never hear of this book until recently?? It deserves a place right up on my Gothic Bookshelf with Dracula, Frankenstein, Wuthering Heights, Phantom of the Opera, Picture of Dorian Grey, etc.
I cannot bring myself to accept that Gaston Leroux wasn't directly inspired by this book when he wrote Phantom. The similarities are far too much for coincidence.
It's not the best-structured book in the world (you don't even meet the protagonist until halfway through the thing), and the beginning c...more
Pauline
C'est la première fois que je me lance dans du Jules Verne, et c'est à peu près comme je me l'étais imaginé. Le récit est vivant, avec des rebondissement, du suspens bien maîtrisé (je l'ai attendu l'explication de la présence de la Stilla !), et beaucoup de descriptions, trop à mon goût même. La montée au château du forestier, et la recherche du donjon par Franz m'ont semblé bien longues, même si Verne place de temps en temps un peu d'action, pour couper sa description.

L'histoire est intéressant...more
msleighm
If you like Victorian era gothic and Jules Verne, you'll like this. I loved it - couldn't put it down and ended it with a smile on my face.

If you go in looking for a Dracula story, you will be disappointed. This story must be appreciated on its own merits.
MB Taylor
Just finished reading The Castle in Transylvania (1892) by Jules Verne. Apparently designed to capitalize on the current vampire and zombie craze, this brand new translation of Verne’s Le Château des Carpathes, is touted on the front as “The original zombie story” and the back cover proclaims: “Before there was Dracula, there was The Castle in Transylvania. … this is the first book to set a gothic horror story, featuring people who may or may not be dead, in Transylvania.

Oooookay.

The blurb on th...more
Amy Sturgis
I found the new 2010 edition of Jules Verne's The Castle in Transylvania (originally published as The Castle in the Carpathians in 1893) to be exactly what I was looking for when I sought out ideal Halloween reading. I'll let the cover speak for itself: "In its first new translation in over 100 years, this is the first book to set a gothic horror story, featuring people who may or may not be dead, in Transylvania."

As you'd expect from Verne, the descriptions are lush and detailed and well resear...more
Andi
I was recommended this book by a friend who was doing a dissertation that compared Dracula to The Castle in Transylvania. He also had reason to believe that this book was the inspiration for Gaston Leroux publishing 22 years later, The Phantom of the Opera. Seeing that I have read both books, I can honestly attest that this book has many similarities to the famous book and that my friend was not far off.

I do admit that the book is somewhat boring at the beginning, but fear not. Once you get past...more
Lee
This might not be Verne at his very best, but it's still a fun little book. A few months ago I read John Wyndham's Plan for Chaos, his last 'pulp' book before he found his style writing first person science fiction from the point of view of dry English chaps. In Plan for Chaos he tells the story from the perspective of a Dutch-American and it reads like a slightly dodgy B-movie noir for the first few pages until the later Wyndham style starts to shine through. A similar affliction strikes this b...more
Arthur
Jules Verne first starts for us to picture an unknown cessation of grazing areas of forest and castles. A count of cruelty lives in the Haunted Castle. He goes to the theater and that is probably where his life is all attention. He speaks primarily with his henchmen a craftsman who makes his work calls. The cruel count retaliates against his male competitors, and then with underground exit from the mess he created. He takes with him a photo box with the famous singer, either, she was infatuated...more
Scott
This book is a mixed bag for me. It's the first Verne I've ever read, and it's one that time has not treated very well.

There are some excellent things about the book, and I did enjoy reading it. If you don't know the story, then there is some solid suspense, which is laid out skillfully by Verne. There is a rather "Poe" feel to some of the descriptions and situations that is very effective.

The story itself is a strong one, too. It hooks you in with a mysterious castle in the Transylvanian countr...more
Siegfried
Alors voila, s'en est fini du "Château des Carpathes", et je dois avouer que mon avis reste assez mitigé. En effet, ne sachant pas trop à quoi m'attendre, je me suis lancé en gardant quelque part dans ma tête le fantôme de Dracula ( comment ne pas y penser alors qu'il est question de la Transylvanie, de créatures et d'expédition? ), ce qui, au final, n'a pas joué en faveur de ce roman.
Je ne vais pas faire un résumé de cet ouvrage, mais je vais énoncer quelques-unes de mes impressions.
Jules Ver...more
Rex Libris
Interestingly enough this is story set in Transylvania/Romania that is not a vampire story. The eponymous castle is believed to be haunted by the townfolk, but in fact is inhabited by the insane former Count who grew up there, who pines away over a love he could never have. Meanwhile the man who won the love of the woman in question comes to the castle for revenge of her death. A nasty battle ensues and the castle blows up.

On an an editorial note, this small volume contains probably the most pic...more
Sjonni
Les habitants d'un minuscule village de Transylvanie sont terrifiés par des manifestations surnaturelles émanant d'un château-fort abandonné perché sur une épingle rocheuse des Carpathes.

Chez Jules Verne, il y avait non seulement une imagination fantastique si empreinte de l'optimisme du dix-neuvième mais aussi une langue précise et riche déployée courageusement sous la narration pour donner solidement appui au futur même.
Stein
A beautiful and famous opera soprano, her fanatical Baron admirer, her lovestruck Count fiancé, a mad scientist inventor and a collection of simple village folk in Transylvania are all brought together by Jules Verne to spin a tale of the haunted Carpathian castle. The inclusion of unexpected episodes of the macabre in this work is credibly presented. Yes, there are important elements of science fiction in the story but those are only revealed at the end. Before then the reader becomes practical...more
Jean-Pierre Vidrine
The book starts out with a rather larky feel. We get to know the colorful characters of a small village, and we get to know their superstitions. Then Verne shifts gears, and we follow a desperate young man on a hopeless quest.
If I had to seriously critique this volume for anything, it would be an overzealous publisher/editor for putting misleading blurbs on the cover. "Before there was Dracula . . ." Other than the presence of a castle in Transylvania, there really is nothing here to indicate t...more
Gothicromantic
The castle in the Carpathians, feared by the peasants, 19th century setting... I found all these Hammer Classic elements interesting and writing style easy to read, descriptive but not convoluted.
Christine Vazquez
Could not put this one down. Thought it would be a scary story, but all is explained in the end. Another good story by Jules Verne!
Daniel Steigler
I found this book last year on my shelf. I have no idea, where came it from, and I have never heard of it. That time I didn't really like reading books, but this book was the beginning of my new hobby.
Some years ago I read from the author several books, such as ' Around the World in Eighty Days ' and 'Captain Nemo'. Yeah, the classic JV book. But The castle in the carpathians was very unknow for me.
To cut my long story short, I read it, and it was very enjoyable. Nothing more, but good. I recomm...more
Manjupriya VP
very nice book to read all the times
Bára
Nothing extra.. i´d rahter see czech film:)
Manuela Tinoco
loved it when I was a teen and I think that I'm going to read it again
Emily
This book was interesting. I wouldn't say it's gripping, but it was still good. It wasn't horrifying, it was just creepy, which I liked. The way Jules Verne writes is different from most authors- sort of a narrative, rather than from any particular person's perspective. I like that because it presents an unbiased view of the events. I think I probably would have liked the book better had I read it in a shorter period of time. . . I dragged on this one.
Heather
I had high hopes for this, but sadly doesn't come close to Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. Pacing was quite off, I don't think it was an artifact of translation. Even as far in as page 190, I simply didn't care what happened to the characters. Long lead in and switches of protagonists make for a boring read. Thankfully, it's quite short and the translation is smooth, so it's not too bad to push through to the twists at the end.
Daniel Silva barrera
Otra muy buena novela de Verne
Kim
I am probably leaning more towards 3.5 stars, but let's give it the extra half star for the great cover design (and because I'll probably read it again in the future). I was looking for a classic, gothic horror kind of tale to read for this Halloween and this book fit the bill. While this book is not the best of its genre by any means, it was a short and very entertaining read. I recommend it for a fun Halloween read.
  • A Journey To The Center Of The Earth (Troll Illustrated Classics)
  • The Crime of Sylvestre Bonnard
  • The Mysteries of Paris
  • The Dictionary of Accepted Ideas
  • Παραμύθι χωρίς όνομα
  • The Queen's Necklace
  • Arsène Lupin in 813 (Arsène Lupin, #4)
  • Une page d'amour (Les Rougon-Macquart, #8)
  • The Life of Henry Brulard
  • Fables
  • Claudine's House
  • Ruy Blas
  • The Talisman
  • Ο θησαυρός της Βαγίας
Jules Gabriel Verne was a French author who pioneered the genre of science-fiction. He is best known for his novels "Journey to the Center of the Earth" (1864), "Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea" (1870), and "Around the World in Eighty Days" (1873).

Verne wrote about space, air, and underwater travel before navigable aircraft and practical submarines were invented, and before any means of spa...more
More about Jules Verne...
Around the World in Eighty Days Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea (Extraordinary Voyages, #6) Journey to the Center of the Earth (Extraordinary Voyages, #3) The Mysterious Island  From the Earth to the Moon (Extraordinary Voyages, #4)

“Civilization is like air or water. Wherever there is a passage, be it only a fissure, it will penetrate and modify the conditions of a country.” 1 likes
“Personne n'eût pensé à rester chez soi, et surtout personne ne songeait à remettre le pied au Roi Mathias, où des voix comminatoires se faisaient entendre. Que des murs aient des oreilles, passe encore, puisque c'est une locution qui a court dans le langage usuel... mais une bouche!...” 1 likes