Start by marking “Back to Zero: The Search to Rediscover the Methodist Movement” as Want to Read:
Back to Zero: The Search to Rediscover the Methodist Movement

Back to Zero: The Search to Rediscover the Methodist Movement

3.17 of 5 stars 3.17  ·  rating details  ·  29 ratings  ·  10 reviews
The lifeblood of the United Methodist is passion rather than organizational neatness, entrepreneurial freedom rather than denominational restraint, and agility rather than staid institutional dependence. But if United Methodists want to change and be the church we say we want to be, what must we risk and how can we challenge current practices?

At the heart of becoming a spi
Published February 1st 2012 by Abingdon Press (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Back to Zero, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Back to Zero

Carl
Gil has done a good job of sorting out the United Methodist Church situation from the perspective of adaptive leadership. He has gleaned various aspects of group dynamics and leadership from Collins, Peters and others as well as from his many years of consulting in the church. And his application to the current state of affairs in the church is relevant and illuminating.
It was a challenge to wade through the early chapters, but once the groundwork was laid his premise and recommendations were ea
Claudia
Apr 29, 2014 Claudia rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: umw
A fair assessment of the United Methodist church in reaching its goal of becoming more missional and less about sustaining a cumbersome hierarchy
Dalton
Interesting exploration of the tension between movement and institution
Sue Merrell
Do you want to be part of an institution or a movement? That got my attention. But it turns out being part of a movement isn't as easy as it sounds, even for an institution like the Methodist Church that has ridden the wave of movements before. Rendle brings up a lot of good organizational points. It's not fun reading, but it really makes you think.
Cabe
This book seeks to encourage the UMC to act more like a missional movement and less like an institution, which is a fantastic goal that I wholeheartedly support. Unfortunately it is held back by mediocre writing and its excessive reliance upon corporate wisdom and an instrumental view of the church.
Michelle
A good look at the state of the UMC and other mainstream churces today. Disturbing, but in a good way. This book I think is meant to shake you out of your comfort zone and start discussion about what we should be doing now.
Preston
imaginative and intended to provoke imagination. curious how these books on new forms of leadership that get at purpose and mission over and above like-minded agreement wedge into the concrete of peoples lives.
Amanda Bise
I liked the ideas of becoming a more accepting church and making disciples rather than clergy. However, I don't feel that it is understandable for people just stepping into church leadership.
Heather
I really had to struggle through this one - it's not written for a casual reader, so it reads more like an academic paper than anything else.
Andrew Davis
Not for the faint of heart. Some good ideas, but not really any clear-cut solutions.
Zachary Manton
Zachary Manton marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2015
Dorothea
Dorothea is currently reading it
May 28, 2015
Nancy Barnes
Nancy Barnes is currently reading it
Jan 16, 2015
Loma G Barnhill
Loma G Barnhill marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
Danaalexa
Danaalexa is currently reading it
Jan 08, 2015
Collette Gould
Collette Gould marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Trevor Kennedy
Trevor Kennedy marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Megan Gray
Megan Gray marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Ann Beardshear
Ann Beardshear marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Bradley Alexander
Bradley Alexander marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Journey in the Wilderness: New Life for Mainline Churches The Once and Future Church Study Guide: Transforming Congregations for the Future Once and Future Church Study Guide: Transforming Congregations for the Future Multigenerational Congregation: Meeting the Leadership Challenge Leading Change in the Congregation: Spiritual & Organizational Tools for Leaders