Start by marking “When the Dust Settled” as Want to Read:
When the Dust Settled

When the Dust Settled

Tamara Littrell grew up a nomad, a product of her family's cowboy lifestyle. On the move from ranch to ranch in Montana and Wyoming with a tough-loving father and a sweet-natured mother, Tammi worked hard to earn the position of her father's right-hand man. Along the way, she learned to rope, ride, chew tobacco, shoot a gun, pick a fight and bury her feelings deep inside. ...more
407 pages
Published 2011 by Brown Books

To ask other readers questions about When the Dust Settled, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When the Dust Settled

Ellen Campbell
Aug 18, 2013 Ellen Campbell rated it really liked it
I loved reading this book. The author Tammi tells the true story of growing up in a very disfunctional family with her alcoholic father, her long suffering mother, and her younger sister. Her Dad has a hard time retaining employment and is continually moving the family to new locations and a variety of run down shacks in search of an elusive good life. I was amazed at her mother's sense of optimism as she would strive to make even the most humble trailer house into something that was at least ...more
Jeffrey Lors
Aug 01, 2013 Jeffrey Lors rated it it was amazing
Better than therapy!
Ya ever think your life is so messed up and ya hate your parents and blame God and life is not fair and then ya wake up?
Tammi has run the gamut of emotions in this tell-all book about her life. I am sorry, I did not cry - but I laughed my ass off. Tammi deals with an asshole father that has the audacity of trying and yet flawed character that recluses to a bottle but she loves him.
What I love most is how brutally honest and frank Tammi is about the flaws (hers, her childre
Lily
Sep 19, 2012 Lily rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I've read in a long time. I happened across it in a small boutique in Sheridan, WY. and was so surprised to find that I couldn't put it down. I cried my heart out at some points and laughed so hard I woke my husband up at others. It is glaringly honest in a way that I don't think I ever could be. I just can't recommend it enough. In fact, I'm going to buy copies for my sister and best friend.
Linda
Oct 24, 2014 Linda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoirs
A beautifully written, vividly descriptive account of the author's life growing up in the west with a kind hearted mother and tough minded father. I loved the author's writing style - the moment you realize your heart is in your throat, she sprinkles in some humor to take the edge off of the sting. Great book.
Undercoverbooksvi.amanda
Mar 27, 2013 Undercoverbooksvi.amanda rated it really liked it
Wow. Tammi has a way of sucking you into her life and sharing every up and down. When she is hurt you are hurt; when she laughs you laugh; and when it all ends you are left with a full heart and a broken heart.
Brenda Gustafson
Aug 16, 2011 Brenda Gustafson rated it really liked it
Tammi has a way to make you feel like you're sitting right next to her as she takes her memorial trip. Often hard to read knowing this isn't fiction but really happened to her and her sister. But, it also makes you understand the dynamics of a family who lived and loved in their own way.
David Dachauer
Dec 05, 2011 David Dachauer rated it it was amazing
Tamara really brought me into her world while reading her story, "When The Dust Settles." It made me realize how fortunate I am to have the life I did. Hard to believe someone lived through all she did. Very heart felt story.
Ashley Price
May 24, 2014 Ashley Price rated it really liked it
This was a great read. I read it in about two days because I couldn't put it down.
Wyna
Aug 19, 2012 Wyna rated it it was amazing
Everyone should read this book. I had a box of tissue handy! Could NOT put it down
Janet
Aug 11, 2012 Janet marked it as to-read
Hope to win then read this book! The cover drawn me to enter to contest. Excellent choice
Sierra Littrell
Feb 07, 2013 Sierra Littrell rated it it was amazing
The best book I have ever read. Reminded me if the glass castle only better.
Alisa
Aug 15, 2015 Alisa rated it liked it
A heartbreaking tale of a migrant cowboy family, told with all the honesty yet denial the author can muster. A great snapshot of an elusive profession as farms and ranches go corporate and yet how rural life in the Upper Rockies remains the same despite some transformations. A bit rambling, yet has some form, and is clearly the author's authentic voice and perspective. Great snapshot of transformation and time periods and places that can help show the diversity of the United States in the late ...more
Angela
Sep 07, 2012 Angela rated it liked it
I won this book as a Goodreads giveaway.

It is a good story. And the author is very funny. But it was a little "too country " for this here cityslicker.
Alison
Feb 25, 2016 Alison marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
kindle 288 (memoir)
Sherrie
Sherrie rated it really liked it
Oct 08, 2015
Csimplot
Csimplot rated it really liked it
Nov 10, 2014
sarah parker
sarah parker rated it it was amazing
Jan 10, 2015
Savannah
Savannah rated it it was amazing
Jun 16, 2012
Kelley Scoles
Kelley Scoles rated it liked it
Nov 14, 2012
Steph
Steph rated it liked it
Mar 06, 2016
GAIL Miller
GAIL Miller rated it really liked it
Jun 21, 2016
Amber Kay
Amber Kay rated it really liked it
Apr 02, 2014
Amber
Amber rated it liked it
Aug 12, 2012
Maureen Williams
Maureen Williams rated it liked it
Jan 07, 2015
Paula
Paula rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2015
Teresa Tompkins
Teresa Tompkins rated it it was amazing
Aug 12, 2016
Michele
Michele rated it it was amazing
Jul 12, 2014
Sarah Colbert
Sarah Colbert rated it it was ok
Aug 12, 2012
Kim E Smith
Kim E Smith rated it it was amazing
Sep 09, 2016
Roy Huff
Roy Huff rated it it was amazing
Jun 22, 2013
  • Letting Go of the Reins: The True Story of a Man Who Left the Amish and the Woman Who Helped Him
  • Night Garden
  • Amazing Adventures of a Nobody: A Life Changing Journey Across America Relying on the Kindness of Strangers
  • The Hooker's Daughter
  • Threads
  • The Pig in the Pantry: and Other Homeschool Tales
  • The Devil's Choir
  • Little Miss Merit Badge
  • After Schizophrenia: The Story of How My Sister Got Help, Got Hope, and Got on with Life after 30 Years in Her Room
  • The Bar Mitzvah and the Beast: One Family's Cross-Country Ride of Passage by Bike
  • The Last Will and Testament of Ernie Politics (Vagrant Mystery Series, #1)
  • Six When He Came to Us: A Memoir of International Adoption
  • One Little Speck
In a nutshell: When I grow up I want to be a mermaid, but in the meantime I am an author, chef, sailor, world traveler, crazy dog lady, lucky wife, loving mom, Paisley's Coco, food snob, wino, loyal friend, party planner, workaholic, sleep deprived, shoe loving shopping fool!

When the Dust Settled is my first book.

More about Tamara Littrell...