Start by marking “The Lords and the New Creatures” as Want to Read:
The Lords and the New Creatures

The Lords and the New Creatures

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  2,249 ratings  ·  87 reviews
Intense, erotic, and enigmatic, Jim Morrison's persona is as riveting now as the lead singer/composer "Lizard King" was during The Doors' peak in the late sixties. His fast life and mysterious death remain controversial more than twenty years later.

The Lords and the New Creatures, Morrison's first published volume of poetry, is an uninhibited exploration of society's dark
Published October 15th 1971 by Touchstone (first published 1969)

To ask other readers questions about The Lords and the New Creatures, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lords and the New Creatures

The Complete Poems by Emily DickinsonLeaves of Grass by Walt WhitmanShakespeare's Sonnets by William ShakespeareThe Waste Land and Other Poems by T.S. EliotAriel by Sylvia Plath
Best Poetry Books
455th out of 1,479 books — 1,611 voters
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeThe Outsiders by S.E. HintonOne Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken KeseyA Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'EngleCharlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl
Best Books of the Decade: 1960's
456th out of 641 books — 847 voters

More lists with this book...

Joseph
I first bought a copy of this book in 1982 and still had pages marked with cut up strips of post-it notes. I went looking for this book the other day and I could not find it anywhere. It was weird that a book that I carried abound the military in with several moves suddenly was gone. I ordered another copy and re-read it for the first time in several years. Perhaps knowing more about poetry than I did then might change what I thought about this book.

The Lords I read with new interest. The theme
Valentina
"In that year there was
an intense visitation
of energy.
I left school & went down
to the beach to live.
I slept on a roof
At night the moon became
a woman's face.
I met the Spirit of Music." JDM

Tony Funches
I'm Highly Biased; as his employee & friend, I nevertheless found the work to be Fascinatingly Intelligent, & VERY Well Written.
[Retrospective Observation: Fittingly, the LONGER the interval of TIME, the more his insights become relevant & reflective of the forecast reality WE HAVE BECOME ... nevermind Ed Cayce & "Noster Great-Dame-Us" ... Jimbo WAS (X: The Man with the X-Ray Eyes) the tragic incarnation of the discarded & uncredited (upon Bradbury's insistence) short story f
Gina
I just found this 1970 edition at a thrift store for a buck. It has the day-glo green pages and some tripper's handwritten notes inside. I read this years ago and it's just as silly as I remember. He self-published this, obviously. So cocky he thought he didn't need an editor.
It's dated yet I think it's still modern for each generation.
I'm a fan--but as poetry it works much better with that badass Ray Manzarek Hammond in the back. Here's one of Jim's stand-alone lyrics and is as true today as i
Julie Rylie
he is one of the most inteligent and sensitive human beings that ever walked on earth. i think this says it all.

his poetry really resembles rimbaud, i think he was his most notorious influence.

i prefer to "listen" to his poems through music or spoken words, but 5 stars for the lizard king, he sure can do anything.
Nick Black
lol@u jim morrison, shut up and sing 5-2-1 kthxbye.
Blown
Oh, this is a tough one to review. At times I felt I needed to be on LSD or Mescaline to really feel what big Jim was trying to show me. Some of the content struck me as pretty lame. But... there are just a few lines in here that really touched me; they are just so profound, inspiring even. I'm glad I read this.
Paul Gleason
These early Morrison poems are tremendous. The collection simmers with the influences that - I don't think - would ever cohere into a coherent vision. But what makes it so important is that it shows Morrison's intellectual and passionate engagement with his influences and, perhaps more controversially, show that he probably wasn't cut out to be a rock frontman and Bozo Dionysus but a poet.

Influences: Nietzsche, shamanism, Rimbaud, Burroughs, Blake, a host of avant-garde filmmakers.

Morrison tries
Ray
Morrison is a clumsy, drug-addled pop-culture reference, and his poetry is more suitable for gleaning general trivia about Jim Morrison, rather than actual reading. It's abstract, certainly, though not because he uses abstraction and absurdism, but because he's really, really high.
Matthew W
"The Lords" features some interesting thoughts by Jim Morrison on the art of cinema. "The New Creatures" is far less interesting.

This is a fairly quick read and can easily be finished within one sitting.
Sara

Adam
The Lord’s, And the New Creatures
Author: Jim Morrison
Reviewed by: Adam Michaelis

A man that had the power to change a generation, He made music with a band that had a great impact on the scene. He was a poetic man and with his controversial words and experience of life itself he wrote The Lord’s and The New Creatures. This book will seduce you with its hypnotic words and will change the perspective of everything after it is read. Before this book we as people were blind. This book opens the true
A.M.
"All games contain the idea of death."

Just one of many insightful lines of Jim Morrison's The Lords and The New Creatures - a collection I was delighted to find recently in a used book store and to revisit after a twenty-year hiatus.

"We all live in the city.

The city forms - often physically, but inevitably
psychically - a circle. A Game. A ring of death
with sex at its center. Drive towards outskirts
of city suburbs. At the edge discover zones of
sophisticated vice and boredom, child prosti-
tutio
Thomas
This isn't Shakespeare or Edgar Allan Poe. This can't be regarded in the same light. These writings are from a well read rock'n'roll singer. I enjoy the images he uses and the journey his words take me on. It doesn't always make sense but is entertaining and at times thought provoking.
Jerry Oliver
This book is a cohesively put together collection of early poems centered around Jim Morrison's world. A 1960's California rock and roll world filled with sex, drugs, fame, death and an obsession with native american mysticism. These often hallucinatory images make for some 4 star poems while others are throw aways. I still think his best and most consistently compelling words were for the Doors, but you can see how much of that came from his poetry. I dug it enough to go ahead and tackle The Am ...more
Isabel
5 stars for The Lords; 3 for The New Creatures, which had many strong aspects but often its potential didn't fully pull together in a way I could follow.
Anni Tuominen
Kauniilla sanoilla
ei mitään merkitystä
kaikki kantautuu
tyhjyydelle jossain
kaukopuheluvalheiden
onnettomuuksien onnellisuudessa.

Mahdottoman mahtavaa, kiitos Jim.
Kunnioittaen suuresti, Mai
Ps. Sulla oli synttärit just, onnea sinne jonnekin, äärirajojen ulkopuolelle
Zalman
Jan 17, 2008 Zalman rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Students of the late 60s, the Lizard King, and yeah, poetry
Shelves: poetry
Sometimes stimulating, e.g., "The body exists for the sake of the eyes; it becomes a dry stalk to support these two soft insatiable jewels." (The Lords, page 52) In any case, not a dense read; you can zip through this in an afternoon.
Susan
I read this when I was in high school and thought it was terrible. I read it again when I was at University and thought it was terrible... I've read it again now, and still think it's terrible..... I shan't be reading it again.
Brendan
Jim Morrison is famous as the Doors' lead vocalist and a member of the 27 Club. But he was also a talented song writer with a strong intellect. So whenever I read his poetry I wonder why it isn't better.

The Lords is the superior of the two sections. It's more coherent, more accessible. He drops a lot of knowledge about cinema / theater. (Morrison met Doors keyboard player Ray Manzarek while they were attending UCLA's film school.)

The New Creatures, as alluded to above, is less accessible and le
Jeff
Feb 02, 2015 Jeff rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who is a fan of The Doors and biographies in general.
Recommended to Jeff by: The voices in my head.
1st Read: (January 23, 1996)

This is some serious deep shit! I sometimes have a hard time making any sense of just what it is he is trying to make known to his audience. I simply purchased these books of poetry only to have for my collection.

Perhaps I need to get on that snake and ride it west to the ancient lake where it's the best! As I have said before in other reviews of his poetry, I would much sooner groove and party to the music.

These collections of Jim's words, for the most part, hu
Charlie
I love the man but this was complete and utter shit. Damn it was bad. I mean.. damn.
Douglas Wilson
Just appalling.
JJ
Aug 10, 2014 JJ rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: american
At his best, Morisson here is a lucid genius. Whilst on the other end of the spectrum, much of this volume is confusing.

Saints
the Negro, Africa
Tattoo
eyes like time

I don't doubt that Morisson had something to say here, but in his addled state it feels as though his meaning has been scrambled. Sadly, passages such as these seem to outnumber the lucid ones and Morisson's signature wit shines through only momentarily as snappy diamonds within a greater rough of writing.

"Cameras inside the coffin i
Ryan shirey
Dec 18, 2009 Ryan shirey rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: yes to some
Recommended to Ryan by: Adam
Kathryn Lyster
(Review originally published in The Byron Shire Echo - January 29th, 2013)

Jim Morrison is a god. He is also the main person from history I would like to meet. I know it’s not logical, there are people who made much greater contributions, but for me – it’s Jim. I’m sure you are well acquainted with the music of The Doors, and the poetic lyricism he leeches into those songs. Well, his poetry is equally reality-warping, kaleidoscopic and heat-filled.

'The Lords and the New Creatures' was first publ
Nichevo
Poetry reflects the time in which it was written and these poems show Morrison at the beginning of what may have been a successful writing career.
I prefer this volume to Wilderness and American Night not because I find the poems to be better but, because this is the only work in which Morrison was directly involved.
While the Coursons and various editors did well with those two volumes, it's not the same when the poet isn't there to offer input.
Richard Sharp
The Doors, and in particular Morrison, were an important cultural infuence in my novel on the so-called silent generation, "The Duke Don't Dance." Morrison spoke to both the disaffected younger generation at home as well as those enmired in Southeast Asia during the Vietnam War, where the Doors' recordings were highly popular, or perhaps better described as addictive. He appealed to both the simple despair of those who summarized the continuous stream of casualties in the words "it don't mean no ...more
Gregory Ross
This is Morrison's only book of poems to be released before he died. It is illusive, creative, insightful, and a must read for anyone that considers themselves to be a Doors fan. Shortly after this book was published, Morrison died in Paris. More poetry books were released posthumously, but this is the true collection of poems that Morrison intended his audience to experience, whole.
Nevermind 1 17 Jan 07, 2010 09:15PM
  • Old Angel Midnight
  • Selected Poetry of Lord Byron
  • Lyrics, 1962-1985
  • A Spaniard in the Works
James Douglas Morrison was an American singer, poet, songwriter, writer, and film director. He is best known as the lead singer and lyricist of The Doors, and is widely considered to be one of the most charismatic and influential frontmen in rock music. He was also the author of several books of poetry and the director of a documentary and short film.
More about Jim Morrison...
Wilderness: The Lost Writings, Vol. 1 The American Night: The Lost Writings, Vol. 2 An American Prayer Eyes: Poetry, 1967-1971 Tempesta elettrica: poesie e scritti perduti

“There may be a time when we'll attend Weather Theatres to recall the sensation of rain.” 33 likes
“The subject says: I see first many things which dance... then everything gradually becomes connected.” 24 likes