Start by marking “The Lords and the New Creatures” as Want to Read:
The Lords and the New Creatures

The Lords and the New Creatures

3.90  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,507 Ratings  ·  95 Reviews
Intense, erotic, and enigmatic, Jim Morrison's persona is as riveting now as the lead singer/composer "Lizard King" was during The Doors' peak in the late sixties. His fast life and mysterious death remain controversial more than twenty years later.

The Lords and the New Creatures, Morrison's first published volume of poetry, is an uninhibited exploration of society's dark
Published October 15th 1971 by Touchstone (first published 1969)

To ask other readers questions about The Lords and the New Creatures, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lords and the New Creatures

The Complete Poems by Emily DickinsonLeaves of Grass by Walt WhitmanShakespeare's Sonnets by William ShakespeareThe Waste Land and Other Poems by T.S. EliotAriel by Sylvia Plath
Best Poetry Books
498th out of 1,619 books — 1,782 voters
A World of Verse by Christopher  ShieldsWe Walk Alone by Mariah E. WilsonThe Selected Poems, 1968-1995 by Nikki GiovanniZombie Haiku by Ryan MecumMysterious Acts by My People by Valerie Wetlaufer
Poetry that's Pretty Nifty
24th out of 24 books — 16 voters

More lists with this book...

Joseph
Feb 23, 2015 Joseph rated it really liked it
Shelves: music, poetry
I first bought a copy of this book in 1982 and still had pages marked with cut up strips of post-it notes. I went looking for this book the other day and I could not find it anywhere. It was weird that a book that I carried abound the military in with several moves suddenly was gone. I ordered another copy and re-read it for the first time in several years. Perhaps knowing more about poetry than I did then might change what I thought about this book.

The Lords I read with new interest. The theme
Valentina
Apr 11, 2008 Valentina rated it it was amazing
"In that year there was
an intense visitation
of energy.
I left school & went down
to the beach to live.
I slept on a roof
At night the moon became
a woman's face.
I met the Spirit of Music." JDM

Tony Funches
Oct 21, 2014 Tony Funches rated it it was amazing
I'm Highly Biased; as his employee & friend, I nevertheless found the work to be Fascinatingly Intelligent, & VERY Well Written.
[Retrospective Observation: Fittingly, the LONGER the interval of TIME, the more his insights become relevant & reflective of the forecast reality WE HAVE BECOME ... nevermind Ed Cayce & "Noster Great-Dame-Us" ... Jimbo WAS (X: The Man with the X-Ray Eyes) the tragic incarnation of the discarded & uncredited (upon Bradbury's insistence) short story f
Gina
I just found this 1970 edition at a thrift store for a buck. It has the day-glo green pages and some tripper's handwritten notes inside. I read this years ago and it's just as silly as I remember. He self-published this, obviously. So cocky he thought he didn't need an editor.
It's dated yet I think it's still modern for each generation.
I'm a fan--but as poetry it works much better with that badass Ray Manzarek Hammond in the back. Here's one of Jim's stand-alone lyrics and is as true today as i
Julie Rylie
he is one of the most inteligent and sensitive human beings that ever walked on earth. i think this says it all.

his poetry really resembles rimbaud, i think he was his most notorious influence.

i prefer to "listen" to his poems through music or spoken words, but 5 stars for the lizard king, he sure can do anything.
Sara
in holiness"

RIP, Lizard King.
Nick Black
Jul 17, 2009 Nick Black rated it did not like it
lol@u jim morrison, shut up and sing 5-2-1 kthxbye.
Omnipotent Dystopian Now
Dec 30, 2013 Omnipotent Dystopian Now rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
Oh, this is a tough one to review. At times I felt I needed to be on LSD or Mescaline to really feel what big Jim was trying to show me. Some of the content struck me as pretty lame. But... there are just a few lines in here that really touched me; they are just so profound, inspiring even. I'm glad I read this.
Adam
Dec 16, 2009 Adam rated it liked it
The Lord’s, And the New Creatures
Author: Jim Morrison
Reviewed by: Adam Michaelis

A man that had the power to change a generation, He made music with a band that had a great impact on the scene. He was a poetic man and with his controversial words and experience of life itself he wrote The Lord’s and The New Creatures. This book will seduce you with its hypnotic words and will change the perspective of everything after it is read. Before this book we as people were blind. This book opens the true
A.M.
Jul 23, 2012 A.M. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"All games contain the idea of death."

Just one of many insightful lines of Jim Morrison's The Lords and The New Creatures - a collection I was delighted to find recently in a used book store and to revisit after a twenty-year hiatus.

"We all live in the city.

The city forms - often physically, but inevitably
psychically - a circle. A Game. A ring of death
with sex at its center. Drive towards outskirts
of city suburbs. At the edge discover zones of
sophisticated vice and boredom, child prosti-
tutio
Paul Gleason
Jan 11, 2013 Paul Gleason rated it it was amazing
These early Morrison poems are tremendous. The collection simmers with the influences that - I don't think - would ever cohere into a coherent vision. But what makes it so important is that it shows Morrison's intellectual and passionate engagement with his influences and, perhaps more controversially, show that he probably wasn't cut out to be a rock frontman and Bozo Dionysus but a poet.

Influences: Nietzsche, shamanism, Rimbaud, Burroughs, Blake, a host of avant-garde filmmakers.

Morrison tries
Ray
Mar 01, 2008 Ray rated it did not like it
Morrison is a clumsy, drug-addled pop-culture reference, and his poetry is more suitable for gleaning general trivia about Jim Morrison, rather than actual reading. It's abstract, certainly, though not because he uses abstraction and absurdism, but because he's really, really high.
Anni Tuominen
Kauniilla sanoilla
ei mitään merkitystä
kaikki kantautuu
tyhjyydelle jossain
kaukopuheluvalheiden
onnettomuuksien onnellisuudessa.

Mahdottoman mahtavaa, kiitos Jim.
Kunnioittaen suuresti, Mai
Ps. Sulla oli synttärit just, onnea sinne jonnekin, äärirajojen ulkopuolelle
Matthew W
May 02, 2010 Matthew W rated it really liked it
"The Lords" features some interesting thoughts by Jim Morrison on the art of cinema. "The New Creatures" is far less interesting.

This is a fairly quick read and can easily be finished within one sitting.
Richard Sharp
Apr 25, 2012 Richard Sharp rated it really liked it
The Doors, and in particular Morrison, were an important cultural infuence in my novel on the so-called silent generation, "The Duke Don't Dance." Morrison spoke to both the disaffected younger generation at home as well as those enmired in Southeast Asia during the Vietnam War, where the Doors' recordings were highly popular, or perhaps better described as addictive. He appealed to both the simple despair of those who summarized the continuous stream of casualties in the words "it don't mean no ...more
Brendan
Jan 30, 2016 Brendan rated it liked it
Jim Morrison is famous as the Doors' lead vocalist and a member of the 27 Club. But he was also a talented song writer with a strong intellect. So whenever I read his poetry I wonder why it isn't better.

The Lords is the superior of the two sections. It's more coherent, more accessible. He drops a lot of knowledge about cinema / theater. (Morrison met Doors keyboard player Ray Manzarek while they were attending UCLA's film school.)

The New Creatures, as alluded to above, is less accessible and le
Thomas
May 30, 2014 Thomas rated it really liked it
This isn't Shakespeare or Edgar Allan Poe. This can't be regarded in the same light. These writings are from a well read rock'n'roll singer. I enjoy the images he uses and the journey his words take me on. It doesn't always make sense but is entertaining and at times thought provoking.
Jerry Oliver
Apr 19, 2013 Jerry Oliver rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
This book is a cohesively put together collection of early poems centered around Jim Morrison's world. A 1960's California rock and roll world filled with sex, drugs, fame, death and an obsession with native american mysticism. These often hallucinatory images make for some 4 star poems while others are throw aways. I still think his best and most consistently compelling words were for the Doors, but you can see how much of that came from his poetry. I dug it enough to go ahead and tackle The Am ...more
Isabel
Aug 18, 2014 Isabel rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own, 2014
5 stars for The Lords; 3 for The New Creatures, which had many strong aspects but often its potential didn't fully pull together in a way I could follow.
Zalman
Jan 17, 2008 Zalman rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Students of the late 60s, the Lizard King, and yeah, poetry
Shelves: poetry
Sometimes stimulating, e.g., "The body exists for the sake of the eyes; it becomes a dry stalk to support these two soft insatiable jewels." (The Lords, page 52) In any case, not a dense read; you can zip through this in an afternoon.
Susan
Apr 15, 2014 Susan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I read this when I was in high school and thought it was terrible. I read it again when I was at University and thought it was terrible... I've read it again now, and still think it's terrible..... I shan't be reading it again.
Will Harrison
Jan 11, 2016 Will Harrison rated it it was amazing
Jim was a great poet who was able to communicate sentiments & visions through the written word he was unable to do through music because of the short content of most of these poems needing to be portrayed starkly on a page, its simple yet reflective statements popping out at the eye when there's so much space...To be a great musician you have to play with the space & Jim does this here as he did oh-so-well in music...A great read for any Morrison fan & anyone interested by a sensitiv ...more
Charlie
Aug 02, 2014 Charlie rated it did not like it
I love the man but this was complete and utter shit. Damn it was bad. I mean.. damn.
Douglas Wilson
Feb 22, 2009 Douglas Wilson rated it did not like it
Just appalling.
Jeff
Jan 31, 2016 Jeff rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who is a fan of The Doors and biographies in general.
Recommended to Jeff by: Discovered it on my own.

1st Read: January 26, 1996 - January 27, 1996

This is some serious, deep shit! I sometimes have a hard time making any sense of just what it is he is trying to make known to his audience. I simply purchased these books of poetry only to have for my collection of things Doors related.

Perhaps I need to get on that snake and ride it west to the ancient lake where it's the best! As I have said before in other reviews of his poetry, I would much sooner groove and party to the music.

These collect
JJ
Jul 14, 2015 JJ rated it it was ok
Shelves: american, poetry
At his best, Morisson here is a lucid genius. Whilst on the other end of the spectrum, much of this volume is confusing.

Saints
the Negro, Africa
Tattoo
eyes like time

I don't doubt that Morisson had something to say here, but in his addled state it feels as though his meaning has been scrambled. Sadly, passages such as these seem to outnumber the lucid ones and Morisson's signature wit shines through only momentarily as snappy diamonds within a greater rough of writing.

"Cameras inside the coffin i
Ryan shirey
Dec 18, 2009 Ryan shirey rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: yes to some
Recommended to Ryan by: Adam
Jillian
Sep 25, 2010 Jillian rated it it was amazing
Kathryn Lyster
Oct 31, 2013 Kathryn Lyster rated it it was amazing
(Review originally published in The Byron Shire Echo - January 29th, 2013)

Jim Morrison is a god. He is also the main person from history I would like to meet. I know it’s not logical, there are people who made much greater contributions, but for me – it’s Jim. I’m sure you are well acquainted with the music of The Doors, and the poetic lyricism he leeches into those songs. Well, his poetry is equally reality-warping, kaleidoscopic and heat-filled.

'The Lords and the New Creatures' was first publ
Nichevo
Jan 18, 2015 Nichevo rated it really liked it
Poetry reflects the time in which it was written and these poems show Morrison at the beginning of what may have been a successful writing career.
I prefer this volume to Wilderness and American Night not because I find the poems to be better but, because this is the only work in which Morrison was directly involved.
While the Coursons and various editors did well with those two volumes, it's not the same when the poet isn't there to offer input.
Nevermind 1 17 Jan 07, 2010 09:15PM
  • Tarantula
  • Love, Janis
  • Selected Poetry of Lord Byron
  • In His Own Write
James Douglas Morrison was an American singer, poet, songwriter, writer, and film director. He is best known as the lead singer and lyricist of The Doors, and is widely considered to be one of the most charismatic and influential frontmen in rock music. He was also the author of several books of poetry and the director of a documentary and short film.
More about Jim Morrison...

“There may be a time when we'll attend Weather Theatres to recall the sensation of rain.” 37 likes
“The subject says: I see first many things which dance... then everything gradually becomes connected.” 24 likes