Start by marking “Rattletrap Car” as Want to Read:
Rattletrap Car

Rattletrap Car

"A picture book that passes the fun test with flying fizz." — BOOKLIST

It’s hot. Hot, hot, hot! So Junie and Jake and Poppa and the baby want to go to the lake. But can they make it there in their rattletrap car? It doesn’t go fast, and it doesn’t go far — but with the help of some razzleberry dazzleberry snazzleberry fizz, a beach ball, a surfboard, and a three-speed, wind
Published April 12th 2004 by Candlewick Press (first published April 10th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Rattletrap Car, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rattletrap Car

Amy Forrester
Jun 13, 2012 Amy Forrester rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It’s hot, hot, hot and Junie, Jakie and the baby convince Poppa to take them to the beach in their rattletrap car. They pack the car with beach toys, a thermos of razzleberry dazzleberry snazzleberry fizz and some chocolate marshmallow fudge delight. They pile in the car and Poppa starts off with a “brum brum, brum brum.” But, the rattletrap car keeps breaking down. Fortunately, the family creatively uses the items they’ve packed in the car; the beach ball to replaces the flat tire, the thermos ...more
Michelle
Nov 27, 2011 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Michelle by: Ellen Root
Shelves: children-s-books
One of our favorite children's books!
I don't know if it is a fav because the authors daughter recited the entire story to my 4 & 11 year old on a BWCA trip (without book in hand) and did it in such a way that made the story unforgettable and special or if it's because the story is just that good. Maybe a bit of both :)

The story is fun & oddly relatable (my kids always have solutions to the obstacles we face when we travel). The family is taking their rattletrap car to the lake, dad isn
Connie
Nov 15, 2009 Connie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, so this book is not really very realistic. You can't really replace wheels with beach balls or engines with toy boats.

But it's fun to pretend you can when reading :)

And anyway, this book is such a delight to read aloud that I don't suppose it matters about the family's unorthodox method of transport. I mean, try to say this out loud without grinning:

Poppa turned the key
POP!

You c
Hannah
Sep 27, 2008 Hannah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Junie was hot. Jakie was hot. Even the baby was hot, hot, hot". We've read this book a bazillion times but still LOVE IT!!!! My kids go nuts about it. If they even see it anywhere then we have to read it about 12 times in a row. It's a winner.
Kelsey
Apr 27, 2014 Kelsey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is a pain to read over and over as the parent, but my daughter LOVED this book and wanted it read every time story time until it was due back at the library.
Thomas
Jun 21, 2015 Thomas rated it it was amazing
Best book ever! an old one but a good one. A classic read out loud book.
Mary Ledom
This book reminded me of many unsuccessful drives with my family to Colorado in the summertime that ended up very successful. This red headed family had a lot of trouble getting to their finishing spot, the lake. The author brought us through a whirlwind of excitement when each member of the family tried a different idea in order to get their car moving. I enjoyed the usage of words and the repetitive sentences that would be joyful to read with my future class.
I think I would work this into my
Alex Austin
Root, Phyllis. "Rattletrap Car". Illus. Jill Barton. Humen, China: Candlewick Press, 2001. Print. Young Children's Book. Age 3-6. This book was about a family that wanted to go to the lake but their car was not very reliable. They tried several times to go and each time they would make it a little ways until something fell off of the car. They would have to use something else that they brought to fix the car so that they could keep going to the lake. This book used a very heavy amount of onomato ...more
Monique Isaak
“They didn’t go fast and they did go far,” stated the author of Rattletrap car, Phyllis Root. These are the famous words throughout the story as a family attempts to make it from their home to their lake in their worn out car. Everyone in the family works together to give their insight when the car would break down. By making it to the lake, they show the readers how they never gave up. When they worked as a team and kept a positive attitude, they reached their goal. The fun language used in th ...more
Shannon Brasher
Rattletrap is a fun book to read aloud to children. It reminds me of the Llama Llama books and I don't know what it is but children just love the way certain words sound and enjoy hearing them so much they just laugh. The book is about a family who wants to head down to the lake in their rattletrap car to cool off. Each member of the family brings an item which ends up having to be used to patch up their rattletrap car in order to make it to their destination. Working together, family, and sacri ...more
Candice
May 21, 2013 Candice rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
My almost-three-year-old granddaughter loves this book, and I love reading it to her! It's fun from the first page to the last. Colorful illustrations and a great storyline and choice of words make this a winner. Junie, Jakie, Baby and Papa are hot, hot, hot so they head to the lake in their rattletrap car which starts with a brum brum brum brum and stops with a bing bang pop! True to its name, the rattletrap car that doesn't go fast and doesn't go far breaks down repeatedly. But each of its pas ...more
Tricia Douglas
I was searching for books for my grandchildren and found this one especially for my two boys, 2 and 4. It's very imaginative with repetitive rhymes and language. When Poppa's children want to go to the lake Poppa doesn't think his old car will make it. Throughout the story the car continually breaks down, but repairs are made with the special items each child decided to bring on the trip. They finally make it to the lake and have a great time. Really cute illustrations and story. What bothered m ...more
Kyjafree
Jun 26, 2014 Kyjafree rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
junie , jakie, and the baby convince there poppa to take them to the lake in there rattletrap car. poppas care wasn't in good condition but he took them anyway. the kids brought there stuff they wanted to take to the lake. poppa bring marshmallow fudge delight and razzleberry, dazzleberry, snazzleberry, fizz. they went off to the lake but they didn't go fast and they didn't go far. the truck kept breaking down so the kids toys came in handy. in they hooked all the stuff up with marshmallow fudge ...more
Jennifer Heise
Jan 14, 2014 Jennifer Heise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: beekman
Phyllis Root plays to her strengths in this silly tall tale in which the family nurses their rattletrap car-- which wouldn't go fast and it wouldn't go far-- to the lake on a hot day by replacing damaged parts with far-fetched substitutes. Lots of good alliteration makes this a privilege to read out loud. (Like Root, I have also nursed my share of rattletrap cars, but without nearly as positive an outcome as her characters!)
Victoria Hill
Jan 12, 2013 Victoria Hill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book
I liked the message this book has; the children and the father were willing to give up their toy so everyone could make it to the lake. It was a joy to see the inventiveness and persistence of the characters in this book, you find yourself rooting for them to get to that lake! The sounds and words flow on each page making it mesmerizing to read, and sounding out all the sounds of the car makes it that much more fun to read!
Alice
Oct 24, 2012 Alice rated it really liked it
This book was fun and I love the onomatopoeia. This was afun story for any one who has been in clunky old car wondering if you will ever make it to your destination. My co worker -who I read this aloud too--wondered if the beach was only a block away because there could be no way that the car could make there farther than that. And also, the books talks about Poppa, but where is the mother?? Just things I wonder about as there is a baby in the story.
Andrea
Apr 20, 2012 Andrea rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mg-fiction, 2012
Great read aloud for toddler to six/seven years old. A family wants to go to the lake on a hot day but they are not sure their old 'Rattletrap' car will make it. The rest of the story tells how they all pull together to get the car to the lake. They use some very funny, creative methods to get there and back. Many sound words and repetition that kids will love. Illustrations are reminiscent of the WPA or the Rockwell era.
Catz
Sep 14, 2012 Catz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was delightful. It was our book of the monthnbut we continued reading it a lot afterwards. My Pre-K students enjoyed it really well. I would recommend this for classroom and personal libraries.

The family decide to go to the lake because it's so hot. So they go in the Rattlentrap car. Do they make it? It's very funny and entertaining.
Lleonardocampos
Jun 23, 2014 Lleonardocampos rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It about a rattletrap car.It is hot day for poppa,junie, jakie and baby so they go to the lake for the day.Poppa did not no if they would make it because the car did not go fast and it doesn't go far so he give it a try the car brok down so meny times and they fixs it and they mad it to a rattletrap car and they mad ti to the lake.
Danielle Simmons
Feb 10, 2013 Danielle Simmons rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book, love, family
The book might not be the most realistic for kids ( using beach balls and other things for car parts), but the message is great! The kids give up their toys to help the family make it to the beach. Sacrifices for the good of the family is a great thing to learn in young families, and this book shows how great giving can be for a family.
Wooden Horse
Jun 22, 2012 Wooden Horse rated it liked it
I'm tempted to add a "tongue-twister" shelf. We were in a fit of giggles by the middle no thanks to my stumbling over the words and the astute three year old correcting me. In my defense I was trying to be silly and read "brum brum fizzelly sizzelly wappity babbity lumpety bumpety clinkety clankey bing bang pop" as fast as I could.
Susan Pace-Koch
Sep 15, 2011 Susan Pace-Koch rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Phyllis Root with a winner! Jill Barton, as illustrator was up to the task of making each page and kid come alive. I didn't intend to buy this book, but the little girl in the yellow polka dot dress with the pouty face was too charming to resist. A very fun 'read' for anybody on a hot summer day and for those wishing or missing summer fun.
Keyilah Lacy
Jul 02, 2014 Keyilah Lacy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Its about a rattletrap car.It is hot day for poppa,junie, jakie and baby so they go to the lake for the day.Poppa did not no if they would make it because the car did not go fast and it doesn't go far so he give it a try the car brok down so meny times and they fixs it and they mad it to a rattletrap car and they mad ti to the lake
Kerry Kenney
Jun 23, 2008 Kerry Kenney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of our top ten bed time books. Just enough of a story to keep me interested and not confuse him. Also, this is a story that features Dad and the kids (no mom in sight) and fun read alout words like Razzleberry Dazzleberry fizz and Chocolate Marshmallow Fudge delight and Bang! Boom!

We love this book to death, get it in hardcover!
Heather
Sep 30, 2011 Heather rated it liked it
Shelves: from-library
26 months - not really sure how to rate this one. My husband didn't really like it and my daughter never wanted to read it after the first time. I convinced her to give it one more read so I could read it at least once. Not very realistic but I thought it was fun, repetitive but in a fun way with rhyming car sounds.
Erin
Apr 06, 2010 Erin marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mentor-text-set
Teachers can use this book to teach students how to choose the right words for their writing. It is a great book for teaching about onomatopoeia, sound words, to young children. I also love how Writing Fix uses this book to teach idea development.
Kelly
Jan 07, 2013 Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Illustrated by Jill Barton. With great rhyming and repetition and LOTS of silly words, this is an excellent read-aloud. The story is just SO silly that the kids can't help but be entertained. I'll definitely be reading this at storytime.
Janae
Mar 11, 2013 Janae rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kid-lit
W LOVED this book! It is super cute and fanciful:) A dad tries to take the kids to the lake, but their old "rattletrap car" keeps on breaking down. They use their beach items to fix the car and keep it moving.
Anna Smithberger
2.5 rounded up to three. This book feels pretty average, and I feel that as a fairly literal child I would have been annoyed by how the car is fixed in ways that clearly would never work in the physical world. I'm one of those.
Natalie
Jun 21, 2008 Natalie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ANYONE with kids
This is a wonderful children's book about a family in, roughly, the 30's, who want to go to the lake on a hot, hot, day. The only problem is they only have their rattletrap car which "doesn't go fast and doesn't go far".
  • Alphabet Adventure
  • Tip Tip Dig Dig
  • Shout! Shout It Out!
  • When the World Is Ready for Bed
  • If I Built a Car
  • How Will We Get to the Beach?/Como Iremos a la Playa?
  • Ten Terrible Dinosaurs
  • Do Like a Duck Does!
  • Watch Out! Big Bro's Coming!
  • Who Ate All the Cookie Dough?
  • We're Going on a Lion Hunt
"Picture books are performances," says Phyllis Root, quoting some sage advice she once received. "They're performances that involve a child--something both of you do. And once I started thinking of them that way, I started getting much looser about making up words and playing around with rhythm."

Phyllis Root picked up an early affinity for colloquial language while growing up in Indiana and south
More about Phyllis Root...