Start by marking “The Jigsaw Woman” as Want to Read:
The Jigsaw Woman

The Jigsaw Woman

Created from the bodies of three different women, an evil doctor's mistress sets out, with the aid of a goddess, on a quest to find her true self and the the earth's primordial truths. From ancient battles to Amazonian paradise, she spirals through history and magic, finding salvation not in the promise of the future, but from the lessons learned in the past.
Published June 1st 1997 by Roc (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Jigsaw Woman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Jigsaw Woman

Lowed
Apr 17, 2011 Lowed rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-read-2011
I know I am way behind reading books in the fantasy and sci-fi genre. I'm not sure if there was a big fuss about this when this book came out in 1997, but this sure has a fresh voice in the fantasy/sci-fi lit. And that's even after reading so much Le Guin and- well, one book from Atwood. Antieau did pull this through with ease!

A real entertaining read!

Lisa (Harmonybites)
Nov 12, 2011 Lisa (Harmonybites) rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Pagan True Believers Only
Recommended to Lisa (Harmonybites) by: Gerri's Gift
Oh, the many ways I hated this one. First there's the creepy rapey, near necrophiliac prologue. I would have pulled out there, but this book was a gift from a friend who counts it as a favorite. Next strike was the voice of the narrator. The premise of this book is that its heroine is a updated, near contemporary Frankenstein monster. She's been put together out of three dead women, and has the scars to prove it. It might have been easier to believe in Keelie if we had more distance from ...more
Katie M.
Aug 18, 2011 Katie M. rated it liked it
Like The Female Man, this falls in the category of "feminist speculative fiction that I really wanted to love, but didn't." The main character, Keelie, is created out of the body parts of three different dead women. She leaves the house of her creator, Victor, and goes off to find herself. Promising premise, but I wish the quest had involved more actual adventures and fewer dream journeys into history where characters share names/identities with characters from the present without necessarily ha ...more
Ruby Hollyberry
Denae
2.5 benevolent goddess-worshipping matriarchies

What the hell did I just read? Speculative feminist fiction meets Frankenstein with a strong underlying theme of incest and rape. Bah.
Flitterkit
May 02, 2009 Flitterkit rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
Fabulous book that takes a interesting view on history and reincarnation.
Mistiemae1 Downs
Mar 10, 2010 Mistiemae1 Downs rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite book of all time and deeply personal to me. I very rarely read fiction books more than once, but my copy of Jigsaw Woman has been in my collection for more than 10 years and has been read at least that many times by me as well as having been passed to my friends, family, and even a few college professors.

The book is filled with mythological and archetypal imagery that guides the reader through a fantastic, sometimes harrowing, journey right alongside the main character, Keeli
steffy
Jul 14, 2016 steffy rated it liked it
This is probably the third time I've read this book, the last time being in my early 20's. It's certainly not that great of a story, and it's not along the usual of what I read nowadays, but for a guilty pleasure quick (and I do mean quick) read, this one gives you a lot of bang for your buck.

It is definitely steeped in a lot of mythology, which greatly interested me as a teen, and a whole lot of sex, and who wasn't interested in that as a teen?

Overall, not the most high quality literature, and
Amanda
Sep 04, 2015 Amanda rated it it was ok
The story itself was pretty good, but the one thing that dragged the book down was the language. A very brute, and not so 'sofisticated' language that matched poorly with the storyline if you ask me. If it wasnt for this the story would be fantastic and the book itself is pretty unique, just wished for a better matching language.
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
I like the way the author has tried to weave together fairy tales, Frankenstein, and mythology. (And history, or in this case herstory.) But this book is too weird and creepy for me.
Melanie
Aug 08, 2012 Melanie rated it did not like it
Shelves: made-me-angry
Complete and utter TRIPE. Ugh; I'm STILL angry I read that book. Got it for a dollar. Paid too much!
Jennifer Roland
Jennifer Roland rated it really liked it
Mar 22, 2009
Jewels
Jewels rated it it was amazing
Dec 27, 2011
Jaime
Jaime rated it really liked it
Feb 21, 2013
Christina
Christina rated it it was amazing
Jul 10, 2012
Liz
Liz rated it it was ok
Sep 26, 2015
Danielle
Danielle rated it liked it
Jul 10, 2016
Jason
Jason rated it liked it
Sep 22, 2013
Amy
Amy rated it really liked it
Apr 12, 2010
Dan
Dan rated it did not like it
Dec 08, 2007
Wendy
Jul 15, 2012 Wendy rated it really liked it
Shelves: scififant, thrift
Very strange book.
Betsy
Betsy rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2015
Jill
Jill rated it liked it
Jul 11, 2015
Liz Ellis
Liz Ellis rated it it was amazing
Oct 04, 2013
Laura rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2011
Victoria
Victoria rated it it was ok
Sep 12, 2008
Kaninchen Zero
Kaninchen Zero rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2013
Tina
Tina rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2009
Starrsere
Starrsere rated it it was ok
Aug 14, 2013
Karyn Szabo
Karyn Szabo rated it it was amazing
Jul 12, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Kim Antieau is the author of several novels and short stories for adults and teenagers, including Mercy, Unbound. She graduated Eastern Michigan University and lives with her husband, poet Mario Milosevic, in the Pacific Northwest. Aside from writing books, she works as a librarian.

More about Kim Antieau...