Start by marking “Mary and Her Little Lamb” as Want to Read:
Mary and Her Little Lamb

Mary and Her Little Lamb

The poem about Mary and her little lamb is one of the most popular rhymes in America, but did you know that the rhyme is true? There once was a little girl named Mary who saved the life of a tiny lamb. The two became best friends, and that little lamb followed Mary everywhere - even to school, where the poet John Roulstone visited and immortalized the two in verse.
With hi
Published September 15th 2011 by Philomel Books

To ask other readers questions about Mary and Her Little Lamb, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mary and Her Little Lamb

Valerie Lurquin
Jun 04, 2015 Valerie Lurquin rated it really liked it
This book has gorgeous illustrations which help to describe the true story behind the rhyme "Mary Had A Little Lamb". It is about a girl named Mary Sawyer who lived on a farm in Massachusetts during the 1800s. She nurses a baby lamb back to health and in turn wins it's loyalty. The lamb followed Mary to school, and a boy named John Roulstone made a comment which was not kind. The comment was catchy, and this is how the rhyme began. The illustrations in the book go well with time period and the l ...more
Jim Erekson
Sep 17, 2013 Jim Erekson rated it really liked it
Will Moses' Americana style figure illustrations in this book are perfectly meshed with an impressionistic style used in the landscape backgrounds. Very interesting to look at, and complex enough to sustain long looking.

Semadar Megged gets the credit as the designer for this book, and the borders and page layouts are consistent with the illustrations and the story content.

This story is consistent with Opie's essay on this song in The Oxford Dictionary of Nursery Rhymes, and gives more extended
Latoya Sharaine
This historical fiction is intended for children ages 10 and under. It is a great book to read, even to a 1 year old. The book is the true story of the famous nursery rhyme, Mary had a Little Lamb. I did not know that it was a true story. I gave this story three stars because, although it is a good book to read, it is not a must-have book, in my opinion. The book starts off with the nursery rhyme, and then proceeds to tell the story. The language used in the story version is a bit mundane, which ...more
Kaelyn O'Brien
Dec 08, 2015 Kaelyn O'Brien rated it really liked it

This book was about the true story of Mary had a little lamb. In the story Mary saves a little lamb from dying as she feeds it tea and milk and warms it by the fire. Mary raised the lamb and they became best friends. Most of Mary’s friends lived very far away so Mary spent most of her time with the lamb. One day when Mary went to school the lambed followed her over the bridge and through the meadow all the way to the school house. Mary hid the sheep in class with a blanket. However, when Mary w
Andrew Upchurch
Dec 06, 2015 Andrew Upchurch rated it it was amazing
Shelves: animal-books, fiction
This book was about the true story of Mary had a little lamb. In the story Mary saves a little lamb from dying as she feeds it tea and milk and warms it by the fire. Mary raised the lamb and they became best friends. Most of Mary’s friends lived very far away so Mary spent most of her time with the lamb. One day when Mary went to school the lambed followed her over the bridge and through the meadow all the way to the schoolhouse. Mary hid the sheep in class with a blanket. However, when Mary was ...more
Vilo
Aug 09, 2014 Vilo rated it really liked it
We sing "Mary Had a Little Lamb" as if it were a Mother Goose nursery rhyme, but Will Moses tells us the true story of Mary Sawyer and the lamb who did follow her to school one day (the day a poet happened to be visiting the classroom). The illustrations are beautiful--a celebration of historical farm life--and the text introduces us to a strong young woman who loved the animals who surrounded her.
Laura Verret
Nov 05, 2014 Laura Verret rated it it was amazing
I would venture a bet that every single one of us has sung Mary Had a Little Lamb – or at least heard it sung. But how many of us know the true story that prompted the charming ditty?

Fine, I’ll admit it – I didn’t know myself until a few days ago. I thought Mary was a made up character. But she wasn’t. Mary’s real name was Mary Elizabeth Sawyer and she really did have a lamb that followed her to school!

Conclusion. Your children will love hearing about the real girl who inspired the famous tune.

V
Sarah Rostkowski
Apr 18, 2012 Sarah Rostkowski rated it liked it
Mary and Her Little Lamb is for pre-schoolers to read. Its about a little girl who lived on a farm in th 19th century in Massachusettes. MAry was one day out on the farm when she saw this little lamb that was sick and needed some help. SO MAry nursed this new baby lamb back to life. and the lamb thought Mary was its mother because she took care of it and nursed it back to health. This lamb went everywhere with her. It followed MAry to school one day, and went it went to school with her this man ...more
Cordellya Smith
Jun 11, 2014 Cordellya Smith rated it it was amazing
I didn't know this poem originated from a real incident. This book is interesting and the illustrations are beautiful.
Dec 20, 2011 Laura rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s, 2011, picture
Most of us think of Mary Had a Little Lamb as a Mother Goose nursery rhyme, but it's not. Will Moses tells the true story behind this rhyme. His rustic, folk art captures the feeling of Mary's rural life in the early 19th century. The story will certainly appeal to adults and librarian but it's written in a way that's accessible to children as well.

I do have to ask, however, why this book is considered fiction. If it's a true story and is based on true events, it should be nonfiction. I would h
Alexandria Hiam
Karen Gibson
Fantastic illustrations by Will Moses
Leslie
Mar 05, 2015 Leslie rated it really liked it
The fun story of how the famous nursery rhyme originated.
Connie
Dec 08, 2011 Connie rated it really liked it
Shelves: jv
I did not know that Mary and her lamb were real, and the famous school was in Sudbury, Massachusetts. That a chance visitor was so taken with Mary and her lamb appearing in school that he was inspired to write the original verse, is astonishing. Then for Sarah Josepha Hale to add more verses and publish the poem in 1830, for it to "go viral", and Lowell Mason to write the music for the verses makes Mary Had a Little Lamb an American icon.
Amy
May 03, 2012 Amy rated it really liked it
This is the story behind the story! Mary Had a Little Lamb's origins are based in truth. There was a real Mary with a little lamb who followed her to school one day, and apparently, everywhere else! Animal lovers will like this one. It's a nice heart-warming story with illustrations by Will Moses in the tradition of his great-grandmother, Grandma Moses.
Sep 20, 2011 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: concepts, pets
I love this book! Instead of propagating the erroneous assertion that "Mary Had a Little Lamb" is a Mother Goose rhyme, author/illustrator Moses tells the true story of the poem's origins. With lovely illustrations and a highly readable text, this book could be shared with preschoolers and older children.
Judy Desetti
Jan 04, 2012 Judy Desetti rated it liked it
It is a stretch to say this is history but.... it is the history of how we got the nursery rhyme Mary Had a Little Lamb. Pretty interesting. I did not like the illustrations particularly but they are done in the style of Will Moses.

Recommend. On my list for BMJ nominations.
Camille
Mar 23, 2012 Camille rated it liked it
Who would've thought that the song was based on a real girl and real events. I like the folksy illustrations of the book and the story of Mary. A great book to help explain why myths, folktales and legends are in the non-fiction section. Before I was just using Johnny Appleseed.
Horace Mann Family Reading Challenge
Enjoyed this book on so many levels; the illustrations represent American Folk art, done by the great grandson of Grandma Moses, the tale is one I remember fondly from my youth, and it really happened in Sudbury MA, done the street from where I live - who knew. P.K.
Melanie
The true story behind the nursery rhyme "Mary had a little lamb." Retold and illustrated by Will Moses, son of famous painter, Grandma Moses. Folksy art includes much for young readers to look at.
Alyson
Sep 26, 2011 Alyson rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
It was fun to read about the "real Mary" and her lamb. I was admiring the folk art style illustrations and then read that Will Moses is Grandma Moses' great grandson!
Melissa
Nice to have a book with a twist on the famous and ubiquitous rhyme--Will Moses tells in a prose narrative the story that we all know as the nursery song. End note.
Erin
Oct 12, 2011 Erin rated it it was ok
The words to the book are great. It tells the story behind the nursery rhyme, Mary had a Little Lamb. The illustrations are not pretty at all.
Jessica
Feb 25, 2012 Jessica rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
The true story of the nursery rhyme "Mary had a little lamb". Great pictures and an afterward with more info for adults.
Allison
May 10, 2012 Allison rated it it was amazing
The true story of Mary and her little lamb illustrated with the most beautiful paintings. Thanks, Will Moses!
Mz. Diana Gagliardi
Oct 01, 2012 Mz. Diana Gagliardi rated it really liked it
Cute story about the REAL story behind "Mary Had a Little Lamb". It gives the history and music at the end.
Anna Dalhaimer Bartkowski
Aug 17, 2013 Anna Dalhaimer Bartkowski rated it it was amazing
Amazing little book which details the origin and history of the poem. Love how the story came to life.
Kim Patton
Jan 13, 2013 Kim Patton rated it it was ok
This book gives the story behind the real Mary and her lamb in Massachusetts in the 1800s.
Samantha
I had no idea that "Mary Had a Little Lamb" was based on a true story.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Born and raised here, in Eagle Bridge, New York, Will Moses creates paintings that reflect the quiet beauty of this tiny community nestled close to the Vermont border. Will has created a vivid, delightful miniature world, peopled with villagers who have stepped out of the past to charm us with their simple, everyday pastimes.

As a fourth generation member of the renowned Moses family, painting is a
More about Will Moses...