Wilderness: The Lost Writings, Vol. 1

Wilderness: The Lost Writings, Vol. 1

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  1,940 ratings  ·  76 reviews
Compiled from the literary estate of the singer who brought a wildly lyrical poetry of the damned to the world of rock 'n' roll. Includes unpublished poems, drawings, photos, and a candid self-interview.
Published December 17th 1989 by Vintage (first published 1988)

The Complete Poems by Emily DickinsonLeaves of Grass by Walt WhitmanThe Waste Land and Other Poems by T.S. EliotShakespeare's Sonnets by William ShakespeareAriel by Sylvia Plath
Best Poetry Books
274th out of 1,273 books — 1,366 voters
The Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienThe Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. TolkienHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-ExupéryThe Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis
A Book My Father Gave Me
81st out of 268 books — 207 voters

More lists with this book...

Jason Koivu
I rate Jim Morrison's poetry the way I do John Lennon's famous doodles. Technically they're borderline atrocious to fair with the occasional flicker of insight. However, it's their creator that makes them so intriguing.

Wilderness: The Lost Writings is a collection of simple-but-enigmatic phrasings that could loosely be called poetry, made more interesting due to the writer's fame/infamy. Best read by Doors fans, especially if they're still young (or young at heart and mind) and still open to ba...more
Jen
Jim Morrison changed my life in college. Ironically, he was dead at the time, but it's true. I love so many of the poems in this volume but one stands out right now, after I've experienced fall and am experiencing winter for the first time in years:

A man rakes leaves into
a heap in his yard, a pile,
& leans on his rake &
burns them utterly.
The fragrance fills the forest
children pause & heed the
smell, which will become
nostalgia in several years
Christine
Like The American Night: The Writings of Jim Morrison Volume 2, Wilderness provides readers with the inspiring, albeit often confusing, hallucinatory poetry of Morrison. The rhythm of the pieces often themselves intoxicating, one can almost feel as if the phonemic structure of Morrison's work has an underlying pattern that the average person just cannot quite articulate. For aspiring poets, this collection of poems is an extraordinary example of the affects of sound on poetry and how important i...more
Brandon
Nov 15, 2009 Brandon rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: fans of Jim Morrison and the music of the Doors
Shelves: own
I have been a fan of the Doors since watching Oliver Stone's biopic and I've since been intrigued by the persona of Jim Morrison. While Stone's film and other critics often view Morrison as a drunken buffoon, I could see there was more to him. I've read a handful of biographies and it has only helped increase my awe and respect of the 60's music icon. The man was a genius and had great appreciation for art, hoping to segue his music career into that as a writer/poet/filmmaker. Wilderness is the...more
J.P.
Oct 04, 2007 J.P. rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: poets, poetry lovers
I guess I'm a biased reviewer here. I am a passionate Doors fan. If you're a casual Doors listener, you'll find Morrison's writing rough sledding. But if you're like me, you'll love this collection of previously unpublished poems and ephemera.

Perhaps Jim wasn't the most polished poet in the world. His work often smacks of the high school English star drunk on words. But he's got some wonderful imagery in here, and seems to be aware of the wonderful SOUND words can make when they're played off ea...more
Mikimbizii
While flipping though the pages of Wilderness at a local book store, I found these lines:

“I am troubled, immeasurably
by your eyes.
I am struck by the feather
of your soft reply.
speaks quick, disdain
and conceals
what your eyes fight
to explain.”

Morrison is an amazing poet, a legend, a rascal, a prophet.
Timothy
If you think you know Jim Morrison from the classic rock station and the Oliver Stone movie, think again. Some deep stuff here.
Stacy
I grew up listening to a lot of classic rock thanks to my parents so listening to The Doors is pretty nostalgic for me. Some of the poetry in this book is very 'out there' but there are also quite a few beautiful and philosophical entries.
Jacob Kyle
The mind of Jim Morrison is extraordinary. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and his strange and wonderful writing. He fascinates me with his stories and his amazing poetry.
Patrick McFarland
If you like the dark poetry of rock and roll, this is the book for you!
Christine
Amy
Im' a huge fan of The Doors. A huge fan of Jim Morrison. I find him fascinating. The book of poetry is interesting and beautiful and nonsensical at times. Some I skimmed over because I didn't follow them. Some made no sense to me and I read them over again because I enjoyed his words anyway. Some painted a vivid picture for me and I read them over and over again. Every poem and essay will mean nothing to someone, while at the same time, mean everything to someone else. I highly recommend reading...more
Donald Armfield
When I got to the afterwords of this collection, I read that some of these poems were un-finished, or parts of others. Originally written, nothing changed from journals collected.

One section called "The Village Tapes" were poems recorded December 7, 1970 (six months before his death).

Quoted my favorite lines and 4 poems I liked the most.

-cobra Sun (pg. 176)
-Cold electric music (pg. 125)
-drugs sex drunkness battle (pg. 101)
-the mushroom (pg. 73)
Mrs. Doglvrs
I love taking my time reading through Jim's poetry... so I start reading a book, and slowly make my way through, until one night I pick it up - and then I simply can not put it aside until I've finished it!

One I particularly loved in this collection:

"I received an Aztec wall of vision
& dissolved my room in sweet derision
Closed my eyes, prepared to go
A gentle win inform'd me so
And bathed my skin in ether glow"

pg. 77
Jerry Oliver
I read some of this stuff several years ago but it's hazy. This is good poetry from an amazing mind and character. You can see his development in these writings and snippets that ended up as lyrics for The Doors. All kinds of experiments going on here but mostly keen observation and vivid imagination at work. I'll be reading volume 2 The American Night and his first book of poetry The Lords and The Creatures soon.
Candace Rollins
While I was not that fond of Jim Morrison's poetry as a whole, there were some pieces I liked a lot. When reading a biographical or other work by someone you only know through one medium it has been my experience that they are often different from the public persona and the differences often surprise me. I did get the sense of a much more intelligent and talented guy then I had imagined before reading Wilderness.
JD
Some really nice stuff in here for Doors fans. I want to say I'm "bad" at reading poetry, but I enjoyed a great deal of this. Morrison seemed to work best when he wrote small <10 line pieces like my favorite:
"Where'd you learn about
Satan - out of a book
Love? - out of a box"

Highly recommended for Doors fans or if you just love Morrison's brooding artistic mystique (like me).
Mark
I will always love Jim Morrison and his poetry. He was a genius and he will be remembered. That is if the world survives nehneh

do you think maybe 5 thousand years from now people might still read him? maybe? maybe not?

he couldn't help who he was how he lived and how he died. can you? I can't. can anyone?

I think he is one of the finest poets this country ever produced.
Heather
Delving into the mind of a person or presence like that of Jim Morrison is a privilege. I only wish more artists/writers would be so bold as to do the same. This is one of my personal favorites....

I am troubled

And conceals
What your eyes fight
To explain
L. L.  Kelly
It is safe to say that Jim Morrison is not for everyone. I am always genuinely creeped out when I read his work. Since I am such a big fan of the horror genre, you might think this doesn't bother me but it does. A book by Morrison does not stay in my house for long. That is not to say I don't admire his work.
Wilderness brings an understanding of his poetic mind.
Cheryl
I suppose if I died today and some bunch of jackasses published my notebooks full of unpolished, rambling or snippets poetry, I'd be embarrassed as hell, but I'd hope they would have the profound affect on someone that these did on me. Obsessed as a teen, I am still haunted today by his words, and he probably influenced my writing style more than any other poet.
Plam
Absolutely amazing and magical poetry! Masterfully playing with the right words which are directly hitting the subconsciousness.
Love it.
Brian
I picked up my copy in Paris, at WHSmith on Rue de Rivoli, and devoured it as I backpacked my way through Europe. While not every piece is great, the book remains one of my favorite collections of poetry and free verse, both out of content and nostalgia.
Ben
Jim Morrison was an okay poet, but not deeply moving, in my opinion. Poets like Rimbaud, Ferlinghetti, and Blake, for instance, speak to me; Morrison's poems set to music are, to me, more powerful than the writings contained in this book.
Melissa
I kept hoping I'd get into this book, but it never happened. Maybe I was trying too hard. I did like the handwritten pieces in the book, but there wernt enough. I'd like to have seen more art/doodles and process-oriented meanderings.
Elizabeth
I was in love with Jim when I was a teenager (don't ask me why). Anyway, I loved this book back then and read it often.

Now, when I read it, it makes me sad, for I think how much better his poems would have been if he were sober.
Monica
I think about this book often, even though I read it a long time ago. I suppose it is because every time I hear the Doors, I think to myself that Morrion's writings are much more interesting than his music.
Trak
Read this some time ago and just remembered. The poem I remember the most was called Power. Struck a chord with me. Not a bad collection of poetry and if you are die hard Morrison fan it is a must have
Casey
Jul 30, 2008 Casey rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: poets
In Jr High I was obsessed with Jim Morrison and his poetry.
This is a good book, I recommend it over "No One Here Gets Out Alive".
A lot of hand-written poems that will have your head swimming.
Jenn
Aug 13, 2007 Jenn rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Lovers of Morrison and his deep, weird side
Jim Morrison is not only one of the hottest rock singers ever born, but he is also one of the most intricate and intriguing individuals ever to put pen to page.
  • The Lizard King: The Essential Jim Morrison
  • Demon Box
  • Early Work: 1970-1979
  • Love, Janis
  • These Are My Rivers: New and Selected Poems, 1955-1993
  • Living with the Dead: Twenty Years on the Bus with Garcia and the Grateful Dead
James Douglas Morrison was an American singer, poet, songwriter, writer, and film director. He is best known as the lead singer and lyricist of The Doors, and is widely considered to be one of the most charismatic and influential frontmen in rock music. He was also the author of several books of poetry and the director of a documentary and short film.
More about Jim Morrison...
The Lords and the New Creatures The American Night: The Lost Writings, Vol. 2 An American Prayer Eyes: Poetry, 1967-1971 Джим Моррисон. Стихи. Песни. Заметки / Poems, Lyrics, Notes

“I am troubled, immeasurably
“The Night is young
& full of rest
I can’t describe
the way she’s dress’d
She’ll pander to some strange
requests
Anything that you suggest
Anything to please her guest.”
49 likes