Start by marking “Sweet Land of Liberty” as Want to Read:
Sweet Land of Liberty

Sweet Land of Liberty

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  108 ratings  ·  37 reviews
How did America become the land of the free?

In Sweet Land of Liberty, Ellis the Elephant sets off on a quest to find out.

Through an amazing afternoon at the library, Ellis travels through time and discovers the pivotal moments that have shaped our nation’s unique history, including,

the Pilgrims’ first Thanksgiving

the Boston Tea Party

George Washington crossing the Delaware

p
Published September 26th 2011 by Regnery Kids

To ask other readers questions about Sweet Land of Liberty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sweet Land of Liberty

Patricia (Patricia's Particularity)
Sweet Land of Liberty is about a curious Elephant named Ellis and his adventures in learning about America and it's history and how it became free. To do this he goes to library and reads as many books about the key moments in America's past that made it a free place to live today.

One thing about this book is how for every major event, Ellis is there himself, partaking in helping to shape America's future. For me, at least, I see this as he is presently learning about America's past to help wit
Glenda
A thinly veiled piece of political propaganda by the current wife of Newt Gingrich. If that's not enough of a hint, see the elephant on the cover. His name is Ellis, and he's literally the elephant in every historical moment chronicled in sweeping generalizations and huge historical gaps by the author. The overarching theme of this attempt to brainwash/indoctrinate young children is that the Republican party gets credit for all iconic American moments in history, even those before the party was ...more
John Nevola
Sweet Land of Liberty fills part of the void left by the lack of information taught in most public schools these days. Many children are becoming the captive audience of liberal teaching institutions majoring in such questionable education as saving the environment, cultural diversity and gender identity studies. This book educates our young in the blessings of our country and does so in an interesting and entertaining way.

Ellis (as in the island) The Elephant marvels at the wonders that make up
Carey Hanson
copyright 2011 all ages

I loved this book the minute I realized what it was about and how the information was presented. Ellis is a little elephant that loves to read about America. He goes to the library and reads about all the events that made America the land of the free. And he visits each of those events. For example, first he visits the first thanksgiving speech. The text is written in rhyme and Ellis the elephant is there with the Pilgrims in the illustration.

A neat way to teach history..
Briana
I picked up this book primarily because I love elephants, but one should note that Ellis's being an elephant is generally irrelevant. The book could have easily feature a monkey, a rabbit, or a small child and nothing would have changed.

That aside, the book does a good job of highlighting some key historical events in American history, but the focus is definitely on early American history: the first Thanksgiving, the Boston Tea Party, the Declaration of Independence, and Washington's crossing t
Randie
Ellis the Elephant explores American History at the library and brings young readers along for the journey. The illustrations are cute and the content is presented so that younger children can acquire some background knowledge in a fun way.

However, I can't help but think that our history is not this pleasant and we shouldn't be passing on hegemonic views to our children.
Marianne
I bought this book to read to my 8 and 4 year old grandchildren and it was a huge hit. They both loved it and the beautifully done art work. I highly recommend this book.
Lynn
This was as disappointing as Obama's attempt at a children's book, especially in their portrayals of Native Americans. I don't mind Ellis being an elephant, but he is not honoring our indigenous people by wearing feathers at the Thanksgiving feast! In case you're wondering, Of Thee I Sing's illustrator portrays Sitting Bull as a pile of dirt.
Although this book could help youngsters identify the order of theses major events, I think it may confuse some to see Ellie at ALL of the events. At least
Alice
Cute! I liked this little rhyming book that takes us and Ellis the Elephant through the major events of United States' history.

P.S. I just read some of the comments and have to say i never once thought of the Republican party when I saw a young elephant--maybe I'm naive, but I thought that it just went through the basics touching on a few of the major event in the nation's history. I don't see a political agenda!
Kaylee Warzecha
Such a cute book with beautiful illustrations. Gives an overview of American history that would be easy for young children to understand. In the back of the book it gives resources where lots of American history mentioned in the book can be found. This would be helpful in lesson planning because you could read the book and then give lessons on the different places Ellis the elephant read about. (fiction, picture)
Kelsey
Ellis the elephant visits a library and learns about exceptional moments in American history. The books features a rhyming verse and details the founding of America and the Revolutionary War, the Civil War, the first moon walk and exceptional American traits like altruism. The book is a very patriotic tale. It would be appropriate to introduce children to America's history and vocabulary about that history.
Julie
What a wonderful way to introduce children to the history of our great country. From beginning to end it delivers factual information highlighted by beautiful and child friendly illustrations. The resource section at the end of the book provides additional information.

I purchased this book, along with Callista Gingrich's Land of the Pilgrims' Pride, for my grandchildren. While they are very young I believe that Ellis the elephant, the rhyming text, along with the beautiful illustrations will mor
Sara
My son loves this book! He had me read it over and over. I find that it was a fun introduction to American history. The illustrations are charming.
The book mentions many important events in American history. Young children may enjoy the illustrations and predictable rhyme scheme.
Stephanie Mixon
This is a very cute book about Ellis the Elephant who wants to know how America became the Land of the Free. The adventures Ellis goes on include crossing the Delaware, walking on the moon, and participating in the first Thanksgiving. The illustrations are beautifully done with bright colors and interesting adventures.

This book can be used with Kindergarten or 1st graders. The illustartions will capture their attention and the adventures Ellis goes on will provide entertainment. This book can be
Michelle at Booksmykidsread
A wonderful way to introduce American history to little minds.
Sandra  Dogiakos
Loved it. The illustrations are adorable.
Vj
Ellis the Elephant visits the library to learn more about how America became the land of the free. He travels through time to various key events. Illustrations appealing for the age group (4-8). Rhyming text works pretty well in capturing essence of history. but some misstatements--Lincoln "admired by one and all"? Attributions to divine help/interventions unnecessary and might not be welcome by some parents.
Gordon Pennington
Sweet Land of Liberty is a somewhat unorthodox approach to historical fiction. The plot consists of Ellis the elephant going back in time to meet important historical figures and witness the events that molded our modern nation. This book is chalk-full of interesting historical facts; the fact a cute little elephant is narrating makes it that much more accessible to children in the classroom.
Diana Pettis
Xander and I read this book. On the front cover there is a picture of Ellis the Elephant and in the story Ellis visits all of these famous historical places. I thought it was very well done especially for the early elementary student. Also in the back of the book there are resources you can go to learn more about the places mentioned in the story.
Angela Kim
This book is a historical fiction as well as realistic fiction. An elephant goes to a library and reads books about how United States stood on their feet. It tells different kinds of stories so children can also learn how United States became. The pictures are drawn accordingly to the words and use great colors.
Sebin
A wonderful book to use to teach about the history of America in an easy-to-understand format for younger students. Ellie the elephant wants to know how America got it's freedom so she goes and finds out in order how it was done. This could be a fun introduction to teaching a unit on social studies about America.
Nora
I really love this book! It portrays a very general range of American history that is presented in a friendly format for younger children. And it's factual. Ignore the fact that it was written by Newt Gingrich's wife. That is irrelevant.
Tyler Bruns
+Four stars for excellent use of propaganda.
-Two stars for being written by Newt's twentieth wife.
+One star for having pretty pictures.
-Two stars for those pictures being blatant Propaganda.
Sharper1
The rhyming hiccuped in a couple of places, but I was willing to forgive it because the text was great and the illustrations were cute. Liked it. A good little history lesson.
Aleece
I really liked this story and how it was very simple but at the same time had lots of references to different periods of time throughout US history.
Elizabeth
A book that shares how the US is such a great place. Gives factual information along with illustrations. The text rhymes which makes it enjoyable to read.
Hwydiva
Very well written and great graphics. Those who say this is republican propaganda have not read the book. It focuses on the people, not the politics.
Heather
I thoroughly enjoyed the patriotism shared with my children as I read this book. Excellent take on American history for the 3-7 year old crowd.
Cheri
Ellis the elephant decides he wants to know what makes the United States Red, White & Blue. Very cute book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Callista Louise Gingrich, nee Bisek, is the wife of former Speaker of the US House of Representatives, Newt Gingrich, and the president of Gingrich Productions.

from wikipedia.com
More about Callista Gingrich...
Land of the Pilgrims' Pride Yankee Doodle Dandy From Sea to Shining Sea Land of the Pilgrims Pride (Ellis the Elephant) Christmas in America