Abina and the Important Men: A Graphic History

Abina and the Important Men: A Graphic History

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  97 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Abina and the Important Men is a compelling and powerfully illustrated "graphic history" based on an 1876 court transcript of a West African woman named Abina, who was wrongfully enslaved and took her case to court. The book is a microhistory that does much more than simply depict an event in the past; it uses the power of illustration to convey important themes in world h...more
Published February 16th 2012 by OUP USA (first published September 2nd 2011)

Nina Chachu
A court case in Cape Coast in 1876 is brought to life as a graphic narrative. This book is obviously meant to be used in educational institutions at all levels from high school to university. I found it very interesting and challenging, yet written in such a way that is easy to understand.
kripsoo
Readers will be captivated and inspired by this graphic page-turner of a young African girl's trial in Africa Gold Coast While Abina experience of being separated from family and friends early in life and sold to a series of slave owners was not unusual in 1876 Ghana it was extraordinary that Abina not only escaped captivity but subsequently brought her slave owner to trial Fascinating aspects of Gold Coast daily life social customs and political dynamics are presented as part of this true life...more
Karen
In general, I found this book to be highly accessible and fun. However, after having read 60 undergrad 100-level papers which involved analyzing this as both a primary and secondary source, the dangers of doing history in this way became strikingly apparent. Students, at least mine, were unable to recognize places where it should be clear that the author is inserting his interpretation of the events. The most frustrating of these places, and I think a poor choice on Getz's account, comes at the...more
Monica Edinger
A bit more about this on my blog.

Outstanding. This book seems to have gone under-the-radar in the broader world and it shouldn't have. I had seen something about it a while back and finally had the time to read it and it is fantastic. It is, as the subtitle indicates, a graphic history. That is, it is a history book and one unapologetically didactic. And as far as I know, pretty unique.

The book consists of several parts. The first is an illustrated "graphic history" (so described in the flap co...more
Talia
In the late 1800s, slavery is outlawed in West Africa by the British, but some farm owners still have slaves, mainly young girls who are assumed not to run away. A woman named Abina escapes her master and tries to sue him for her freedom, claiming that she never had free will and simply wanting to be heard and acknowledged. This graphic novel is based off of an actual court transcript that outlines Abina’s story.

Spoiler alert: this isn’t a happy story. But the story is not the important part her...more
Elizabeth
This is an unusual approach to telling history. The combination of graphic novel with primary source documents and scholarly interpretation yields a rich understanding of the situation and events that lie at the heart of the book. This work would serve a non-researcher well, but I would not recommend it for research, as the authors are not consistently clear on where their interpretations go beyond the primary source evidence in the graphic novel section of the book.
Tessa
Jun 12, 2012 Tessa added it
Shelves: nonfic, comics
To be accurate, I read the comic portion of the book and not the transcription or other textual aspects (which take up about half the book itself). Not because I didn't want to read them, but because of time constraints. I think the idea for this project is great! I love primary sources, and it's a good idea to find ways to spread the love. Abina's story doesn't get neatly wrapped up, and that's a good discussion point for history students of all ages.
Sharon
Dec 13, 2012 Sharon added it
A "graphic history" presentation of an 1876 case in which a young woman takes her former master to court for enslaving her. The book presents an illustrated version of the story, followed by the actual court transcript, summaries of the historical period and a discussion of how the reader decides who to believe in historical matters. Written to be used for discussion in a high school class. Would also be very useful for homeschooling.
Alexandra
I read this for my history class, The Making of Modern Africa. It was a quick, enjoyable read and I'm quite intrigued by the story. It definitely made me think. We'll be discussing it in class this week, and even acting out a trial (so I believe--and yes, this is a college class), so I might come back later to say more once I've digested/analyzed it a bit more. Overall, though, quite interesting.
Tanya
Part graphic novel, part court transcript, and part history of Ghana this book covers the story of a girl who runs away from her master on the Gold Coast and then goes to court to get her freedom. It's pretty cool to get to read the actual court transcript from the 1876 and the graphic novel is a easy-to-read version of the actual events.
Barrett
This is a wonderful read - history through a graphic novella (and a woman's perspective, no less) with the process for coming up with that representation in thoughtful written sections behind the novella.
Lisa Ainsworth
Trevor Getz uncovers the story of a young slave woman in coastal Africa. I was amazed that part I (the graphic novel) came from part II (the transcript). Really unique story, great for the classroom.
Holly
I was required to read this graphic history for one of my history courses. Though I really enjoyed the artwork I actually did not find the specific historical time or place interesting to me.
Carenann
Don't you just love the gift of a story that was almost lost to us? We have so much to learn about the human condition and dignity. This book helps.
Leonard
For my Writers on Writing class.
An interesting bit of forgotten history.
Christine
A graphic novel that should be read as it is packed with valuable information.
Katrina
Katrina marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
Looly Thani
Looly Thani marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
Ellen Aurandt
Ellen Aurandt is currently reading it
Mar 04, 2014
Leah Coffin
Leah Coffin is currently reading it
Feb 25, 2014
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Modern Imperialism and Colonialism: A Global Perspective Slavery and Reform in West Africa: Toward Emancipation in Nineteenth Century Senegal and the Gold Coast Slavery & Reform In West Africa: Toward Emancipation In Nineteenth-Century African Voices of the Global Past: 1500 to the Present African Histories: New Sources and New Techniques for Studying African Pasts