Start by marking “Beyond the Valley of the Apocalypse Donkeys” as Want to Read:
Beyond the Valley of the Apocalypse Donkeys

Beyond the Valley of the Apocalypse Donkeys

A nudist colony. A rare film. A donkey-headed woman.A murder. The hummingbird.Explore identity, marriage, madness, and obsession in a phantasmagoricorgy of violence and voyeurism.
Published August 1st 2011 by Copeland Valley Press

To ask other readers questions about Beyond the Valley of the Apocalypse Donkeys, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beyond the Valley of the Apocalypse Donkeys

Dan Schwent
Henry Price makes a delivery to a nudist colony and becomes entranced by a naked woman wearing a donkey mask. Gary Lancaster is obsessed with a movie called The Apocalypse Donkeys, a film that may or may not be real, and blueberry pancakes. Bill Stapleton is an aging former daredevil who knows someone is sleeping with his wife. But how are the men linked by the mysterious green hummingbird?

Jordan Krall continues to impress me. I first became a fan of his after Fistful of Feet, his bizarro wester
Mike Kleine
Dec 14, 2011 Mike Kleine rated it it was amazing
BEYOND THE VALLEY OF THE APOCALYPSE DONKEYS could best be described as Jordan Krall’s mini-tour de force, and I say this only because I know that he is still hard at work on that oh-so-perfect-you’ll-know-it’s-perfect-when-you-read-it future novel. To be blunt, BEYOND THE VALLEY OF THE APOCALYPSE DONKEYS seems like an unfinished pulp jumble of a novel and reads like a literary journal but like I said earlier, it’s as close as we are going to get to a Jordan Krall magnum opus this early in his ...more
Dustin Reade
Oct 02, 2011 Dustin Reade rated it it was amazing
Have you read anything by Jordan Krall? No? Well then, let me tell you something about the way I think he writes his books.
First, he picks a handful of things he wants to include in the book. Every writer does this. Steven King has his person or person(s) from Castle Rock. Philip K. Dick has his Telepaths.
Jordan Krall has donkeys, sexual fetishism, obscure actors and actresses of the early days of Hollywood, and shellfish.
He then writes a story in a style that has come to be known as "Bizarro N
Paige Ellen Stone
May 19, 2013 Paige Ellen Stone rated it it was amazing
Well, I continue to consume the works of Mr. Krall. This book is in the first, second and third person perspectives. It is, at times, laugh out loud funny; in other cases it is absurd and gross. Being the sort of creature that I am, I enjoyed it immensely.
People in the story act sane, act crazy, act in a bizarre manner and things that seem impossible keep happening. I really can't say more without giving too much away. In some ways, it is a love story, a story of marriages seemingly on the rock
Renee Nicole
Jul 20, 2012 Renee Nicole rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle-lendable
This book just butt-raped me a little bit.

Think David Lynch meets Chloe Sevigny meets that episode of Lost where you find out that Locke was in a wheelchair.

That's how much I loved it.
Nick Cato
Dec 15, 2011 Nick Cato rated it really liked it
While there's no squids, living sex dolls, or obscure foot fetishists in Krall's latest novella, it turned out to be one of the author's strangest (and best) offerings to date...so if you're a bizarro lover pay attention:

Gary Lancaster reviews obscure films exclusively for print publications. He's on a mission to find a rare film---one he had seen bits and pieces of at a young age. He manages to track down a crude VHS copy of THE APOCALYPSE DONKEY, his journey taking him to a modern day nudist c
Michael
May 14, 2014 Michael rated it it was amazing
Donkeys seems like a pretty straight up bizarro novel and then you get to the end and all hell breaks loose. The book just stops making sense and for a lot of readers that is going to drive them nuts.

Bizarro doesn't follow a whole lot of rules and that's where the appeal lies. When you start reading this it does follow a plot and then when you're done you try and make sense of what you just read. Was this a statement against infidelity or was it all just some crazy dream?

That's why this book
R.A. Harris
Sep 10, 2012 R.A. Harris rated it it was amazing
What starts off as an innocent enough scenario soon becomes a weird tale where continuity really is a myth. Other reviews no doubt deal with the bulk of the plot, so I'll just suffice to say that the plot is top notch, really fun Lynchian style bizarre mystery/wtf?!. Think Krall's Squid Pulp Blues, but with a female donkey with larger breasts.

The writing is great: some fun dialogue and quirky characters.

The cover is awesome.

I don't have a bad word to say about it.

I read it in one sitting, help
Donald Armfield
Dec 11, 2011 Donald Armfield rated it it was amazing
After Henry makes his second delivery to a nudist colony he becomes involved with a woman wearing a donkey mask. Bill the ex-dare devil is her husband who goes on a rampage to find out who is wife is cheating on him with. Then there is Gary the pancake loving movie reviewer.
This outrageous story had me laughing and saying what the F. Jordan Krall does it again with his comedy side.
Its like Exit To Eden meets Bizarro World. A must read
Vincenzo Bilof
Aug 31, 2013 Vincenzo Bilof rated it it was amazing
A vivid dream or nightmare that seems to flicker like a light bulb in a room filled with flies. There is something to see and there is something to not see. Words craft illusion and images that may or may not have been taped by David Croenenberg under an alias. If Croenenberg and David Lynch were asked to write a book together that must be their definition of a "Grindhouse-style" story while watching Stanley Kurbick movies, they might have written something like Beyond the Valley of the ...more
Sheldon
Dec 12, 2011 Sheldon rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, e-books, bizarro
Upon reading the title, your first thought may be “What exactly is an Apocalypse Donkey?” For the answer to this question, please call 1-800-APOCADONK.

Okay, so my first thought on reading Beyond the Valley of the Apocalypse Donkeys by Jordan Krall was that the author needs to lay off the acid for a bit. This one gets weird. Like, really weird. But then again, it has to. How else can you fit nudists, donkey masks, green hummingbirds, and blueberry pancakes in the same narrative?

Henry delivers spo
Justin
Mar 28, 2012 Justin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bizarro
Let me start by saying there is no easy way to write a review for BEYOND THE VALLEY OF THE APOCALYPSE DONKEYS.

For the most part the book centers around a rare film entitled THE APOCALYPSE DONKEY that the main character is searching out that he vaguely remembers from his youth. This automatically brought back nostalgic feelings for me because I have also seen some strange films (Forbidden Zone & Dellamorte Dellamore) on some obscure channel when I was a child and later sought them out.

Beyond
Jeremy Maddux
Jan 24, 2016 Jeremy Maddux rated it it was amazing
Snowed in and dusted this off on my Kindle. Forgot how great it was. It's about a VHS collector/online movie reviewer who's in search of a most rare artifact from the VHS era about a woman in a donkey mask committing horrible atrocities to the flesh and some ritual sacrifice and scarification if I remember correctly. There's also a hummingbird that may or may not relate to the main thrust of the story, tons of insider jokes about the tape trading underground, urine to mouth transference, torture ...more
Sam McCanna
Sep 05, 2011 Sam McCanna rated it it was amazing
Jordan Krall is back, and in top shape, with Beyond the Valley of the Apocalypse Donkeys... Which means I've just put down the book and am left not quite sure what has just happened to me, but knowing it was a very pleasing experience nonetheless.

The story here, at least in part, is about a much sought-after, long lost film called THE APOCALYPSE DONKEY, and a man who really wants to find it.
Problems abound, including a giant hummingbird, nude women in donkey masks, and a jealous husband.

This bo
Robin Edman
Oct 02, 2012 Robin Edman rated it it was amazing
Women in donkey masks holding the secrets of the universe in their phlegm and spittle, blueberry pancake portals, and the loss of male ego. It sounds a lot more meaningful than it is. But, really, seriously, if you don't get eggs with that, just sit back and take it quietly, whatever your name is.
Jayaprakash Satyamurthy
Apr 28, 2014 Jayaprakash Satyamurthy rated it really liked it
full disclosure: this author is publishing a book by me. if he hadn't been, I'd have given this preposterous concoction 5/5.
Kirk
May 02, 2012 Kirk rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of bizarro, weird fiction, collectors of the weird
Recommended to Kirk by: Friends on Facebook
Stick with me here. There's some long-winded exposition, but it all relates directly to this book:

I remember my senior year in high school, rummaging through anything I could online to find weird materials to share with my friends. One of the things I slipped up on was a VHS tape called "Weird Cartoons." Most of what I found on that VHS is now found on "Johnny Legend's Complete Weird Cartoons," which appears to be available on DVD.

When I found this VHS tape, it was for the most part unheard of
Zarah
Apr 20, 2016 Zarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-lendable
Every once in a while I get a hankering for a little bizarro fiction. So, I read one, laugh and repeat, "What the hell am I reading?" All the while wondering if there is some deep theme that is flying over my head or under my notice. Voyeurism, love, identity, art? Beyond the Valley of the Apocalypse Donkeys was a bit like that for me. Most the time it felt like some odd, drug induced trauma and I had no idea what was actually happening. A bunch of crazy people's craziness seemed to be intersect ...more
Joel
Jul 20, 2013 Joel rated it really liked it
This is high-test nightmare fuel - a great blast of pulp surrealism. Krall's prose is profane yet precise, studded with vivid images dredged from his id, and he has a way of making unlikely situations seem credible.
Jeff Pickering
Oct 06, 2013 Jeff Pickering rated it really liked it
Big tits and donkey masks, pool boy banging the saucy older cougar lady vibes.. Interesting read in parts but there's nothing worse than an author trying a little too hard to be 'off the wall'.
Pascal Grenier
Pascal Grenier rated it really liked it
Nov 12, 2013
Albert
Albert rated it liked it
Jun 14, 2016
Adam Moorad
Adam Moorad rated it really liked it
Jul 24, 2012
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Apr 13, 2013
Brian Mcclain
Brian Mcclain rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2015
Andrew
Andrew rated it really liked it
Dec 09, 2012
Mark Allen
Mark Allen rated it it was amazing
Feb 12, 2014
Mysgydid
Mysgydid rated it liked it
Jul 08, 2014
Oe Nj
Oe Nj rated it it was amazing
May 12, 2012
Dale T
Dale T rated it liked it
Oct 08, 2015
  • Warrior Wolf Women of the Wasteland
  • The Egg Said Nothing
  • THE BROTHERS CRUNK - An 8-Bit Fack-It-All Adventure in 2D
  • Jimmy Plush, Teddy Bear Detective
  • Super Giant Monster Time! (Choose Your Own Mind-Fuck Fest #3)
  • Avoiding Mortimer

FALSE MAGIC KINGDOM
BAD ALCHEMY
THE GOG AND MAGOG BUSINESS
YOUR CITIES, YOUR TOMBS

More about Jordan Krall...