Start by marking “The Twelve Tasks of Flavia Gemina (The Roman Mysteries, #6)” as Want to Read:
The Twelve Tasks of Flavia Gemina (The Roman Mysteries, #6)

The Twelve Tasks of Flavia Gemina (The Roman Mysteries #6)

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  630 ratings  ·  16 reviews
A mysterious widow pursues Flavia's father and a lion terrorizes the streets of Ostia in the sixth "Roman Mysteries" adventure.

December, A.D. 79. It is the month of the Saturnalia, a festival when people do as they please, and anything can happen. When a Roman widow, Cartilia Poplica, shows unusual interest in Flavia's father, Captain Geminus, Flavia decides she must find
Published October 1st 2004 by Roaring Brook Press (first published June 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Twelve Tasks of Flavia Gemina, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Twelve Tasks of Flavia Gemina

I, Claudius by Robert GravesI, the Sun by Janet E. MorrisThe Sacred Band by Janet E. MorrisFlow Down Like Silver by Ki LongfellowThe Secret Magdalene by Ki Longfellow
Best Novels Set in the Ancient World
166th out of 225 books — 101 voters
The Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Maze Runner by James DashnerSwitch! The Lost Kingdoms of Karibu by Karen  Prince
Best YA to Appeal to Boys
497th out of 518 books — 400 voters

More lists with this book...

sabisteb
Ähnlich wie bei Harry Potter ist ab diesem Band langsam schluss mit lustig. Caroline Lawrence schreckt nicht davor zurück auch liegbgewonnene Charaktäre zu töten, wenn es im Plot passt. Auch Hauptfiguren kann ein schwerer Schicksalschlag treffen. Es wird immer besser und wird immer spannender. Dieser Band endet mit einem sehr gemeinen Cliffhänger.

Zeitpunkt der Geschichte:
um den 13 bis 15./21. Februar 80 n. Chr.

Neue Erkenntnisse:
In diesem Band erfahren wir, dass
Spoiler Spoiler

* Nubia zum Zeitpun
Eric Zulueta
This novel marks a milestone for this series - in the sense that Flavia (the main heroine from among the ensemble characters) matures from a child - with the attendant stubborn fixed worldview - to an adult who is able to take life's trials and move on (with the help of her friends, of course!)..

The ending is more poignant and heart-felt because of the death of an important character..
Leah
Jul 11, 2013 Leah rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Older Children/Teens into Mysteries
Recommended to Leah by: The previous novels made me want to buy more
Being mainly about my least favourite character and her being annoyed that her father has a possible love interest, I found this one rather hard to get through.

I had begun to like Flavia again, but this one made her seem brat-like and childish again. I disliked her over-reaction to Cartilia, and if she hadn't kept trying to find out secrets, Marcus would have married her and she would have had a mother, which she realised she wanted by the end of the novel. It just frustrated me.

To be fair to th
Mrs. Roy
Abby
I liked the book because I like mystery stories and historical fiction, Caroline Lawrence has combined the two perfectly. I also like it because of the description Caroline uses.
Laura Bang
Some good (albeit harsh) character development for Flavia -- hopefully it sticks in later books.... The ending was rather shocking and very rushed.
Ujwals
The Twelve Tasks of Flavia Gemina was a great book. It was another mystery set in ancient Rome, but this time in a festive season. I liked how the main character, Flavia Gemina, embarked on the journey of Hercules, to find her clues. Since it was much harder to do what Hercules did, they modified, just to meet someone and pick up a clue. After finding 12 clues, they solved the mystery, and I was able to too! I really liked the significance of family values that was demonstrated in this book. The ...more
Chroniclesoftania
My first foray into The Roman Mysteries. The location adds a nice differentiation from the usual formula of children's adventure stories. In a more modern twist, there is an element of romantic infatuation which is interesting to bring into the 10 year old readership age group.
Georgina Ortiz
Five stars because the author was brave enough to make "shocking" character decisions [considering that this is a children's (or does it qualify as YA?) book]. And I learned more Greek myths. And the origin of the Tarantella (interesting and relevant to the book's theme!). On to The Enemies of Jupiter!
Vicki Cline
Flavia is suspicious of a new woman her father's shown an interest in. She and her friends investigate, and help round up some animals who have escaped from a traveling circus. The twelve tasks are related to similar ones Hercules had to perform.
Rachel S.
In this SWEET! book Flavia's father is acting all weird all the suden and she thinks its becouse of the lady who her father wants to merrie!
in this book Flavia has to pass 12 tasks to find out what is realy going on!
Brett
The characters continue to develop in interesting ways. Flavia Gemina's determination to somehow keep things the same in the face of potential life changes is very realistic.
Amber
Very interesting, quite a mystery. I had no idea what was going on with Cartila. Best one yet!

Review by Blake
Mailis Viiand
Im always game to learn something new, and this book gives you an opportunity to live and breathe rome...
Princess
really good book.
Magda
A little confusing.
Ally Bongo
Ally Bongo marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2015
Tessa
Tessa added it
Jan 20, 2015
Charlotte Colman
Charlotte Colman marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2015
  • Mill Girl: The Diary of Eliza Helsted, Manchester, 1842-1843
  • Exile (Lady Grace Mysteries, #5)
  • The Hunger: The Diary of Phyllis McCormack, Ireland, 1845-1847
  • Cat-O'nine Tails (Cat Royal, #4)
  • Sweet-talking TJ
  • Betrayal (Lady Grace Mysteries, #2)
  • Firelord (The De Danann Tales, #3)
  • To Kill a Queen: An Elizabethan Girl's Diary 1583 -1586
  • Tiger, Tiger
  • Gobbolino The Witch's Cat (Kingfisher Classics)
  • Anne Boleyn and Me: The Diary of Elinor Valjean, London, 1525-1536
Caroline Lawrence won a scholarship to Cambridge to read Classical Archaeology, then did a degree in Hebrew and Jewish studies at University College London. She now lives in London with her English husband and teaches Latin, Greek, Hebrew, Art and French to children.

Series:
* Roman Mysteries
Western Mysteries
More about Caroline Lawrence...

The Roman Mysteries (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • The Thieves of Ostia (Roman Mysteries, #1)
  • The Secrets of Vesuvius (Roman Mysteries, #2)
  • The Pirates of Pompeii (Roman Mysteries, #3)
  • The Assassins of Rome (Roman Mysteries, #4)
  • The Dolphins of Laurentum (The Roman Mysteries, #5)
  • The Enemies of Jupiter (The Roman Mysteries, #7)
  • The Gladiators from Capua (The Roman Mysteries, #8)
  • The Colossus of Rhodes (Roman Mysteries, #9)
  • The Fugitive from Corinth (The Roman Mysteries, #10)
  • The Sirens of Surrentum (The Roman Mysteries, #11)
The Thieves of Ostia (Roman Mysteries, #1) The Secrets of Vesuvius (Roman Mysteries, #2) The Pirates of Pompeii (Roman Mysteries, #3) The Dolphins of Laurentum (The Roman Mysteries, #5) The Assassins of Rome (Roman Mysteries, #4)