The Dunderheads Behind Bars

The Dunderheads Behind Bars

3.28 of 5 stars 3.28  ·  rating details  ·  137 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Everyone's favorite underdogs are back! Can they land work on a movie set - and foil a cat burglar - with their unusual and motley skills?

School is out for the summer, and the Dunderheads are finally rid of the awful Miss Breakbone. Or so they thought! Teen star Ashley Throbb-Hart is shooting a movie nearby, and who should show up as an extra but their formidable former te...more
Published April 10th 2012 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about The Dunderheads Behind Bars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dunderheads Behind Bars

Barbara
Just as in the case of the previous title, The Dunderheads, this title follows the school losers as they work together to help a friend. When Spider is arrested for jewel theft, Einstein and his fellow misfits band together once again to catch the real thief and free Spider. Although there is a mishap or two, it will take the unique skills of all of the Dunderheads to do so. Savvy readers will know that the presence of teen film star Ashley Throbb-Hart has something to do with the jewelry heist....more
Julia Jasztal
(Mommy's review from 5/2/12)

We must have missed the first few books. What, exactly, IS a "dunderhead"? And why, praytell, are these kids named things like "Pencil" and "Clip" and "Hanger"? I'm not following? Am I officially old? Me think not because guess what? My 6-year-old-cool-girl-in-love-with-Justin-Bieber-daughter says the same thing. (I'm not one of those wretched parents who tries to influence their kid into thinking a certian way... not usually. Well, not about books. How about that - t...more
Amanda Harris
A group of misfit kids come to the aid of their friend Spider after he is mistakenly accused of stealing jewelry. I thought this book was mediocre. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't amazing. I think it is primarily because it was a bit sporatic and the storyline wasn't that appealing to me.

I would recommend this book to 2nd-3rd graders or a 4th grade reluctant reader. I would also recommend this book to those who are just making the transition from picture books to chapter books. Those who like graph...more
Marie
I don't know what was more fascinating, the character collection or the illustrations, but it definately was a remarkable pairing of author and illustrator. Makes me want to check out more of their award winning work.
Tiffany
The Dunderheads are still up against their teacher, Miss Breakbone and her sheriff brother, while acting as extras in a Hollywood movie. But this time, Spider gets accused of being a jewel thief. The gang has to get together to clear his name. All in the span of about 60 pages. This is a quick caper for children in grades 1-3 and doesn't follow a traditional picture book or chapter book or easy reader format. Rather, the Dunderheads is a category all to itself. Just a great book for early-ish re...more
Chris
Once again each classmate's unique talents are required for them to succeed. This time to solve a mystery for which one of them has been framed. Excellent art and still subversive, but I didn't find it as funny (and fun) as I did the first one. Still worth reading, though.
Jen
I loved the first Dunderheads book and was anxiously anticipating the arrival of this one. I'm afraid I'm a bit disappointed with it. I felt the story was choppy and lacked the cleverness that the first one had. I've read it to a few of my classes and they've had the same reaction.
Lorna
I'd give this a 2.5, if I could. I was eagerly awaiting this one after reading the original Dunderheads, but I was a bit disappointed. It felt choppy and didn't flow as well, to the point on a few pages I was confused. The creativity of the original is going to be a hard act to follow.
This doesn't have the same tension as the first Dunderhead book. Their problems are kind of strange: one of them ends up in jail for something not jail-worthy and he needs to get rescued. Then they feel compelled to solve a mystery involving theft from one of their pop star idols.
Dolores
Fun and very engaging, but not, I don't think, a stand-alone. Unless you've read "The Dunderheads" and know all about the individual quirks and talents of the kids, this book might fall a bit flat. For those of us who do--it was great to revisit our Dunderhead friends.
Jess
May 22, 2012 Jess rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: juv
A group of kids with unique talents joins forces over summer vacation to thwart a jewel thief and get back at their former teacher, the aptly named Miss Breakbone. Quirky, expressive illustrations and smartly comic text combine to tell the story in this short mystery.
Karen Arendt
The Dunderheads need to track down a jewel thief to get one of their own out of jail (naturally he was wrongly accused). Bold colorful illustrations add to the story, filling in blanks intentionally left out of the text. A fun story for 1-2 graders.
Marcie
This kind of made me think of the Stupids, but I don't think it was nearly as funny as those classics. Perhaps by not having read the first one I missed the point. The illustrations were great and perhaps the kids will enjoy it more than I did.
Sharper1
I just like these. Ingenious kids constantly told that they're dunderheads, yet they find a way (using all of their unique talents, of course) to solve the biggest problems with ease.
Maria
I'm liking the "Dunderheads" series. The kids have cool talents that aren't TOO unbelievable. I think kids 7-9 will enjoy reading about kids "defeating" adults.
Peacegal
I liked the retro 70s-style illustrations, but the busy storyline and constantly introduced new characters will likely confuse the younger set.
Mary
I'm not sure what to make of this book. I enjoyed it, but found the illustrations a little disturbing. I need a kid's opinion.
Lindsey
I really enjoy the illustrations and characters in this series. It is a perfect pairing of author and illustrator.
Connie
Jul 26, 2012 Connie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: jv
This picture book must have a Dunderhead prequel, because much of what I read did not make sense...
Rita
Story of teamwork and kid power! It is a picture book for older kids. I think boys will love it.
Gillian
Lots of great illustrations, story is good enough - my 6yo loves these books.
This book was interesting, but I think it sped along too quickly.
Anessa Farber
Gabby really like reading it and said it was fun and interesting.
Ed
Second verse, same as the first.
Kesha
Fun for mature first to third graders.
Erin
I LOVE LOVE LOVE the artwork.
Maddie Claire
Maddie Claire marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Paul Fleischman grew up in Santa Monica, California. The son of well-known children's novelist Sid Fleischman, Paul was in the unique position of having his famous father's books read out loud to him by the author as they were being written. This experience continued throughout his childhood.
Paul followed in his father's footsteps as an author of books for young readers, and in 1982 he released...more
More about Paul Fleischman...
Joyful Noise: Poems for Two Voices Seedfolks Whirligig Weslandia The Matchbox Diary