Start by marking “The Dunderheads Behind Bars” as Want to Read:
The Dunderheads Behind Bars

The Dunderheads Behind Bars

3.37  ·  Rating Details  ·  172 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
Everyone's favorite underdogs are back! Can they land work on a movie set - and foil a cat burglar - with their unusual and motley skills?

School is out for the summer, and the Dunderheads are finally rid of the awful Miss Breakbone. Or so they thought! Teen star Ashley Throbb-Hart is shooting a movie nearby, and who should show up as an extra but their formidable former te
Published April 10th 2012 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about The Dunderheads Behind Bars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dunderheads Behind Bars

Fiction State Of Mind
Aug 08, 2015 Fiction State Of Mind rated it really liked it
I found this bookat the 99 cents store! Its the second in the series but very easy to follow.The Dunderheads are a group of students whose nicknames reflect their passions : Clips loves paperclips, Hollywood loves movie , Einstein is the planner etc. The kids are enjoying summer and evensign up to be extras on a film set.

Things go bad however when Spider is arrested for tgeft. Now the kids come together to solve the crime and free their friend. I realky enjoyed this book. The kids have great per
Barbara
May 03, 2012 Barbara rated it liked it
Just as in the case of the previous title, The Dunderheads, this title follows the school losers as they work together to help a friend. When Spider is arrested for jewel theft, Einstein and his fellow misfits band together once again to catch the real thief and free Spider. Although there is a mishap or two, it will take the unique skills of all of the Dunderheads to do so. Savvy readers will know that the presence of teen film star Ashley Throbb-Hart has something to do with the jewelry heist. ...more
Julia Jasztal
Jan 08, 2013 Julia Jasztal rated it it was ok
(Mommy's review from 5/2/12)

We must have missed the first few books. What, exactly, IS a "dunderhead"? And why, praytell, are these kids named things like "Pencil" and "Clip" and "Hanger"? I'm not following? Am I officially old? Me think not because guess what? My 6-year-old-cool-girl-in-love-with-Justin-Bieber-daughter says the same thing. (I'm not one of those wretched parents who tries to influence their kid into thinking a certian way... not usually. Well, not about books. How about that - t
Katie Hall
Illustrator: David Roberts
Publisher: Candlewick Press
Date: June 9th 2009
Genre: Fiction
I think this book would be a great read aloud. It is a little longer. I could expand it over the length of two days. It is about kids getting their stuff back from a mean teacher. What kid wouldn’t love this?!
Den
Apr 29, 2015 Den rated it liked it
Shelves: children, 2015
Another excellent book in this series. Here we meet all the characters again and this time you can think about what they might do to help each other. This time the children are employed behind the screens on a film set but there us a thief on the loose and they get accused - can they proof their innocence?
Amanda Harris
Jan 23, 2013 Amanda Harris rated it liked it
A group of misfit kids come to the aid of their friend Spider after he is mistakenly accused of stealing jewelry. I thought this book was mediocre. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't amazing. I think it is primarily because it was a bit sporatic and the storyline wasn't that appealing to me.

I would recommend this book to 2nd-3rd graders or a 4th grade reluctant reader. I would also recommend this book to those who are just making the transition from picture books to chapter books. Those who like graph
Marie
Jun 14, 2014 Marie rated it liked it
I don't know what was more fascinating, the character collection or the illustrations, but it definately was a remarkable pairing of author and illustrator. Makes me want to check out more of their award winning work.
Clara
Jan 26, 2015 Clara rated it it was amazing
This book was very great. It is a bit better than the one before because the ending is better explained. This book rocked!!!
Tiffany
Jun 05, 2012 Tiffany rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
The Dunderheads are still up against their teacher, Miss Breakbone and her sheriff brother, while acting as extras in a Hollywood movie. But this time, Spider gets accused of being a jewel thief. The gang has to get together to clear his name. All in the span of about 60 pages. This is a quick caper for children in grades 1-3 and doesn't follow a traditional picture book or chapter book or easy reader format. Rather, the Dunderheads is a category all to itself. Just a great book for early-ish re ...more
Yossi Gremillion
Love, love, LOVE the Sendak-esque illustrations and the cute story. Reminds me, somewhat, of Roald Dahl.
Chris
Jun 05, 2012 Chris rated it liked it
Once again each classmate's unique talents are required for them to succeed. This time to solve a mystery for which one of them has been framed. Excellent art and still subversive, but I didn't find it as funny (and fun) as I did the first one. Still worth reading, though.
Jen
May 09, 2012 Jen rated it it was ok
I loved the first Dunderheads book and was anxiously anticipating the arrival of this one. I'm afraid I'm a bit disappointed with it. I felt the story was choppy and lacked the cleverness that the first one had. I've read it to a few of my classes and they've had the same reaction.
Lorna
May 19, 2012 Lorna rated it liked it
Shelves: picturebooks, humor
I'd give this a 2.5, if I could. I was eagerly awaiting this one after reading the original Dunderheads, but I was a bit disappointed. It felt choppy and didn't flow as well, to the point on a few pages I was confused. The creativity of the original is going to be a hard act to follow.
Dec 20, 2012 Sarah rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
This doesn't have the same tension as the first Dunderhead book. Their problems are kind of strange: one of them ends up in jail for something not jail-worthy and he needs to get rescued. Then they feel compelled to solve a mystery involving theft from one of their pop star idols.
Dolores
May 21, 2012 Dolores rated it really liked it
Fun and very engaging, but not, I don't think, a stand-alone. Unless you've read "The Dunderheads" and know all about the individual quirks and talents of the kids, this book might fall a bit flat. For those of us who do--it was great to revisit our Dunderhead friends.
Jess
May 22, 2012 Jess rated it liked it
Shelves: juv
A group of kids with unique talents joins forces over summer vacation to thwart a jewel thief and get back at their former teacher, the aptly named Miss Breakbone. Quirky, expressive illustrations and smartly comic text combine to tell the story in this short mystery.
Karen Arendt
The Dunderheads need to track down a jewel thief to get one of their own out of jail (naturally he was wrongly accused). Bold colorful illustrations add to the story, filling in blanks intentionally left out of the text. A fun story for 1-2 graders.
Marcie
Oct 03, 2013 Marcie rated it it was ok
This kind of made me think of the Stupids, but I don't think it was nearly as funny as those classics. Perhaps by not having read the first one I missed the point. The illustrations were great and perhaps the kids will enjoy it more than I did.
Sharper1
May 22, 2013 Sharper1 rated it really liked it
I just like these. Ingenious kids constantly told that they're dunderheads, yet they find a way (using all of their unique talents, of course) to solve the biggest problems with ease.
Maria
May 11, 2012 Maria rated it liked it
I'm liking the "Dunderheads" series. The kids have cool talents that aren't TOO unbelievable. I think kids 7-9 will enjoy reading about kids "defeating" adults.
Peacegal
May 08, 2012 Peacegal rated it it was ok
I liked the retro 70s-style illustrations, but the busy storyline and constantly introduced new characters will likely confuse the younger set.
Mary
Apr 27, 2012 Mary rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
I'm not sure what to make of this book. I enjoyed it, but found the illustrations a little disturbing. I need a kid's opinion.
Lindsey
Jun 25, 2013 Lindsey rated it it was amazing
I really enjoy the illustrations and characters in this series. It is a perfect pairing of author and illustrator.
Connie
Jul 26, 2012 Connie rated it liked it
Shelves: jv
This picture book must have a Dunderhead prequel, because much of what I read did not make sense...
Rita
Apr 18, 2012 Rita rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Story of teamwork and kid power! It is a picture book for older kids. I think boys will love it.
Nov 13, 2013 Jennifer rated it liked it
This book was interesting, but I think it sped along too quickly.
Anessa Farber
Mar 15, 2013 Anessa Farber rated it really liked it
Shelves: gabby
Gabby really like reading it and said it was fun and interesting.
Ed
Sep 13, 2012 Ed rated it liked it
Second verse, same as the first.
Kesha
Jul 24, 2012 Kesha rated it really liked it
Fun for mature first to third graders.
Erin
Jan 17, 2015 Erin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
I LOVE LOVE LOVE the artwork.
  • The Legend of Diamond Lil (J.J. Tully Mystery #2)
  • I Like Old Clothes
  • Pigsticks and Harold and the Incredible Journey
  • Don't Squish the Sasquatch!
  • Heroes of the Surf