Start by marking “Spiritual Divorce: Divorce as a Catalyst for an Extraordinary Life” as Want to Read:

Spiritual Divorce: Divorce as a Catalyst for an Extraordinary Life
Published October 24th 2006 by HarperOne (first published January 9th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Spiritual Divorce, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spiritual Divorce

Clarice
It took me a VERY long time to get through this book, because there are times I just didn't WANT to read positive psychology stuff about how to become a better person after a divorce. But, there will be two things I will always be grateful for that happened to me this year. That I found this book at the beginning stages of filing for divorce AS WELL as that I went through Impact Training during the process of my divorce as well. If you don't want to feel like a victim of your life circumstances ...more
Sonia T
Mar 13, 2013 Sonia T rated it it was amazing
I don't know why people criticize this book for not being a book about 'saving a marriage'. The book is titled 'Spiritual Divorce: Divorce as a Catalyst for an Extraordinary Life'. Hence, it is for people that have made the decision to head that way, or have already, and most importantly, are looking for ways to heal and move on. For those people, this book is amazing. The enlightenment I received helped heal me better than anything else I have read, and courses I have taken. It has helped me fo ...more
Johnna
Jan 11, 2011 Johnna rated it really liked it
This book was helpful because it places no blame. People part and go their separate ways and it can be devastating especially when the relationship has been very long term and children are involved. The author helps the reader go through the process in a very positive way.
Elizabeth Welch
Mar 15, 2013 Elizabeth Welch rated it it was amazing
Loved this book by Debbie Ford who recently died of cancer. Recommended by a friend for anyone going through an end of relationship, not just divorce. Really helped me with all relationships, not just romantic-read mostly on long plane ride which always seem to inspire cathartic thinking!
ArEzO.... Es
با خواندن این کتاب می توان تا حدودی گستن را تحمل کرد
گستن عزیزی که مرگ اورا ربوده
یاد می دهد که گستن مانند وصال بخشی طبیعی از روند زندگی ست
Aaron
Jan 09, 2012 Aaron rated it did not like it
I read quite a bit of this and all I can say is that it's not anything I would recommend to anyone who has a sincere desire to save their marriage along with the desire of saving their children from the extreme agony of divorce. For those who haven't been through a divorce as a child it is impossible to truly understand the lifetime of pain and suffering is can cause. This book is typical of today's "it's all about me" mentality. It feels as if it was written to cater to those who are looking fo ...more
Sheri Young
A colleague recommended this book to me- suggesting it would be a good resource to help identify key things in my situation. This book helped me with more than just the relationship with my spouse but others as well. It was a renewal for me and allowed me to continue to identify my ownership, responsibility and behaviors to contributed to the state if affairs. Learning to return to my spiritual self I have a new perspective as we embark into the journey of counseling.
GoldmanCafe
May 18, 2008 GoldmanCafe rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone, coming out of a relationship, who wants to know if life will ever get better
Recommended to GoldmanCafe by: My counselor
I was not able to read this book right away after the abrupt ending of a ten-year relationship. But, after about three months, I flew through it. It's a great source of guidance and deeper understanding. My counselor recommended this book at our first session, and I am so grateful. A wonderful book. I look forward to reading Ford's other books.
Beth
May 31, 2008 Beth rated it really liked it
I highly recommend this book for anyone divorced, going through a divorce or even considering a divorce.
Dana Panait
May 06, 2014 Dana Panait rated it it was amazing
One of the gratest book on relationships I ever read. The teachings you get from this book would apply to any kind of "special relation" not only a marriage relation. Loved it!
Julie Baylor
Feb 12, 2014 Julie Baylor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is helpful in moving beyond the pain into a new life after divorce. The perspective is very "New Age" referring to the Universe as a being, and I disagree with the concept that everything in life is perfect and as it should be. Human beings are flawed and as such make mistakes for which there are negative consequences. God can take any situation and use it to benefit us; but life will not be perfect here on Earth. I loved the exercises of New Interpretations and Wedding Gifts. These tw ...more
ZaRi
هربار دریک رابطه شکست می خوریم ، افسرده و خشمگین شده و سخنانی مانند:
" دیگر نمی توانم به کسی اعتماد کنم! "
" هرگز اجازه نمی دهم کسی اینکار را دوباره با من انجام دهد! "
را بارها از ذهن می گذرانیم..
ولی؛ وجه بدتر داستان این است که چون ما ، برای شروع ارتباط های جدید، به خودمان فرصت رسیدگی و التیام دردهای درونیمان را نمی دهیم، این شکست ها را دوباره و دوباره تجربه خواهیم کرد...
Julie
Sep 01, 2013 Julie rated it really liked it
Shelves: healing
I want to give this 3.5 stars but I don't know if that would be accurate either. I read this book in two parts...I started this 7 months ago and then I put it down and I just finished it.

It's helpful. I don't think I'm as enlightened as Debbie was when she wrote this...it'll take me some time to come to terms to divorce gracefully.

Thank You Debbie. Godspeed
Sandy Sheaffer
Oct 16, 2015 Sandy Sheaffer rated it it was ok
After reading "The Dark Side of the Light Chasers," I could not wait to get my hands on this book. However, I was quite disappointed. I can't really rate it higher than a two because I found myself wanting to put it down instead of keeping going. There were some good points to help you get through a divorce situation and make it a positive instead of a negative in your life.
Jeannie
Oct 02, 2012 Jeannie rated it did not like it
Well whatever...guess we all see divorce differently. I didn't get anything out of this book that I didn't already know and being lectured on how I should feel is not something I welcome. I see the author saw an....opportunity..wrote a book and the sad and pathetic ones bought it and I made some money Yep...that's this book!
Jill Hinton
Jan 20, 2012 Jill Hinton rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful book - incredibly helpful for anyone who's gone through the pain of divorce, and the later chapters are helpful for anyone who's been through any sort of trauma. I'll be giving this book as a gift for my friends who are going through this difficult process, and even thinking of starting a support group based on its principles. Bravo!
Elena
May 27, 2008 Elena rated it liked it
I liked some of her ideas/suggestions, like focusing on the gifts your marriage brought you and doing the work of seeing how you contributed to the failure of the marriage (not just blaming your spouse.)
Lynn
Oct 30, 2012 Lynn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book changed my life and gave me a new perspective for life after divorce. It's not the end of the world; in fact, it's a catalyst to become all I have ever imagined and more.
Stefania
Dec 11, 2010 Stefania rated it really liked it
I read book when I needed it.
Lily
Jan 04, 2009 Lily rated it liked it
Basic programming with a very positive spin. Can't hurt on the road to freedom.
Jeanie
Jun 16, 2011 Jeanie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Solo Mamas
Wonderful words of wisdom for viewing divorce as an opportunity for a new life. Highly recommend!!
Karla
Jan 03, 2013 Karla rated it liked it
Not as good as "The Best Year of Your Life".
Wendi Medling
Feb 29, 2008 Wendi Medling rated it really liked it
helped me a lot...
Amy Vey
Amy Vey rated it really liked it
Mar 25, 2013
Lori
Lori rated it it was ok
Aug 13, 2012
Courtney
Courtney rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2016
Hadley Earabino
Hadley Earabino rated it it was amazing
Apr 20, 2010
Deborah Dove
Deborah Dove rated it really liked it
Jun 18, 2016
Jamie Lindemulder
Jamie Lindemulder rated it liked it
Jul 24, 2016
Erica
Erica rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Dance of Deception: A Guide to Authenticity and Truth-Telling in Women's Relationships
  • Moving On: Creating Your House of Belonging with Simple Abundance
  • Get Your Act Together: A 7-Day Get-Organized Program For The Overworked, Overbooked, and Overwhelmed
  • Scarred by Struggle, Transformed by Hope
  • The Gaslight Effect: How to Spot and Survive the Hidden Manipulation Others Use to Control Your Life
  • Art Is a Way of Knowing
  • Speak Peace in a World of Conflict: What You Say Next Will Change Your World
  • The Grief Recovery Handbook: A Program for Moving Beyond Death, Divorce, and Other Devastating Losses
  • Life After Loss: A Practical Guide To Renewing Your Life After Experiencing Major Loss
  • Welcome to Your Crisis: How to Use the Power of Crisis to Create the Life You Want
  • Living with Your Heart Wide Open: How Mindfulness and Compassion Can Free You from Unworthiness, Inadequacy, and Shame
  • Surviving a Shark Attack (On Land): Overcoming Betrayal and Dealing with Revenge
  • The Shadow Effect: Illuminating the Hidden Power of Your True Self
  • Handbook for the Soul
  • Soul Lessons and Soul Purpose: A Channeled Guide to Why You Are Here
  • The Relationship Cure: A 5 Step Guide to Strengthening Your Marriage, Family, and Friendships
  • Living and Loving after Betrayal: How to Heal from Emotional Abuse, Deceit, Infidelity, and Chronic Resentment
  • Learning to Love Yourself: Finding Your Self Worth
Debbie Ford was an American author of self-help books. Her first book, "The Dark Side Of The Light Chasers", spawned eight more books in the genre and dealt with confronting one's "dark side" rather than ignoring it. Ford also hosted television and radio shows related to her books.

She passed away due to complications from cancer in 2013.
More about Debbie Ford...

“Surrender is the ultimate sign of strength and the foundation for a spiritual life. Surrendering affirms that we are no longer willing to live in pain. It expresses a deep desire to transcend our struggles and transform our negative emotions. It commands a life beyond our egos, beyond that part of ourselves that is continually reminding us that we are separate, different and alone. Surrendering allows us to return to our true nature and move effortlessly through the cosmic dance called life. It's a powerful statement that proclaims the perfect order of the universe.

When you surrender your will, you are saying, "Even though things are not exactly how I'd like them to be, I will face my reality. I will look it directly in the eye and allow it to be here." Surrender and serenity are synonymous; you can't experience one without the other. So if it's serenity you're searching for, it's close by. All you have to do is resign as General Manager of the Universe. Choose to trust that there is a greater plan for you and that if you surrender, it will be unfolded in time.

Surrender is a gift that you can give yourself. It's an act of faith. It's saying that even though I can't see where this river is flowing, I trust it will take me in the right direction.”
44 likes
“Pain is a spiritual wake-up call showing you that there are oceans you have not yet explored. Step beyond the world you know. Reach for heights that you never thought possible. Go to places you have deemed off limits. This is the time to take off the shell of your past and step into the rich possibilities of your future. God does not give us dreams that we cannot fulfill. If you want to do something great with your life-whether it's to fall madly in love, become a teacher, be a great parent-if you aspire to do something beyond what you are doing now, this is the time to begin. Trust yourself.” 11 likes