Start by marking “A Breath of Snow and Ashes (Outlander, #6)” as Want to Read:
A Breath of Snow and Ashes (Outlander, #6)

A Breath of Snow and Ashes (Outlander #6)

4.41 of 5 stars 4.41  ·  rating details  ·  61,322 ratings  ·  2,436 reviews

THE SIXTH NOVEL IN THE BESTSELLING OUTLANDER SERIES - soon to be a major new TV series.

Their love has survived the test of time. But can it survive fate?

America, 1772. It is only a few years before the war of independence and the colony seethes with unrest. As battle lines are drawn up and loyalties tested, no one is safe in this new country.

Jamie Fraser receives a m

Published September 27th 2005 by Delacorte Press (first published September 27th 2004)

Stephanie
*Poke* *Poke* *Poke*

"AAAAHHHHHH!! What the?.....who the?....where the?"
"When the?"

"Stephanie wake up! It's Claire Fraser. What are you doing here? And should you be driving that contraption? You smell like a brewery!!"

"Oh Jesus H. Roosevelt Christ!....whaa....I'm not *hicup* a-saxtly sure how I ended up here. Oh look..hee...hee... I'm sitting on the time mower.....Kemper ish going to be sooo pissed at me, but what else is new?....haaaaaaaa!" *slowly sides off time mower in heap*

“Claire, what ha
Trudi
The paperback edition of what is the sixth book in the Outlander series is over 1500 pages long and sorry to say, I did not hang on every word. Who could? There's so damn many of them! Talk about bloated. Diana Gabaldon's editor must love her a lot, or is just too nice for the business. "Kill your darlings" -- remember that timeless piece of advice from Mark Twain?

I love Jamie and Claire (not so much Roger and Brianna) and have been hooked since Outlander, but the series is floundering, and has
Karen
5 STARS!!!!!!!!! JESUS H. ROOSEVELT CHRIST!!!!!!

photo 56a6358635540e446d3b4cc597d7af7e.jpg

What can I say that hasn't already been said about Diana Gabaldon and her fabulous Outlander books!!! This is yet another. Claire and Jamie's story continues here in the wilderness and growing new world of North Carolina. So many mysteries brought to the foreground in this episode, and many more laid out.

photo 5d0cf63389f1de021304e6b4d9657bcc-1.jpg
Jamie Fraser

The American revolution is in full swing, and Jamie finds himself caught between a loyalty to his king and a betrayal he knows he
Mo
I feel I have already written a review, with all the updates I did!! Where to start? We know these books are long. It’s taking me, on average, three weeks to read them. So, you sort of have to be dedicated to the genre and writing style to appreciate them.

Jamie and Claire are living in North Carolina. Their passion is still alive, their love is still true. I absolutely love this couple. Have loved watching them grow older together.

“Ye’ve no idea how lovely ye look, stark naked, wi’ the sun behin
Tatiana
Still hardly any plot, just people doing things, a few kidnappings, rapes and childbirths, a million of scenes of Clare healing someone. But at least Brianna wasn't lactating all book long this time.
Sharon ✽ is an emotional book junkie ✽
**4.5 stars**

This book, this series, is a total love fest. You would have to love it to come this far in the series...and be dedicated to reading these long books. I'm always apprehensive to start one but when I do, I'm totally swept away and then I'm sooo sad when I'm finished!

As with all books in this series, DG packs an enormous amount of "happenings" into them and I actually had to take notes. But I'm not sure that I can really talk about them without spoiling something. Suffice it to say th
Lucia
“We’re here because I loved you, more than the life that was mine. Because I believed you loved me the same way.”

DG played with my emotions masterfully. I loved it and I hated it. I laughed and I cried. It was perfection!

To read my reviews of previous books, click on pic:
. . . .
Jane
Where I got the book: audiobook from Audible.

I have spent the best part of a year listening to the Outlander series and honestly, by this point the books are just blending into one another. Most of the time the story isn't really a story so much as a container that holds a whole load of smaller stories, some resolved quickly, others left for later. If things slow down, one of the women gets kidnapped, raped or threatened with kidnap or rape, or all of the above. Which probably happened quite a b
Natalie★for the love of TBH!★

★★★★ ! Epic, breathtaking and absolutely sensational! So heart wrenching and filled with emotional angst. AMAZING!

If A Breath of Snow And Ashes (Outlander #6) was so magnificient, why didn't i rank this five stars? I would have, if it weren't for Bree and Roger. Allthough I find myself melting for Roger more and more we still have Bree. Theres nothing tangible I can say about her that is bothering me. It's just there. I don't like her presence, that's all. But...

Diana Gabaldon always manages to
Jen
I clearly was not in top form when I read this book and that's probably the only reason I gave this book 4 stars instead of 5. I managed to ruin this book for myself so, while this review itself may not help, I hope it will assist in making sure no one else makes the same mistake I did: I absolutely LOVED "Outlander" (the first book in this series) ... Then I really messed up. I was so excited to have read the book that I looked around to see if there was a second book. I then read "A Breath of ...more
Korynn
Sep 13, 2007 Korynn rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: jamie/claire fans
Shelves: romance
This book is only for people who enjoy the characters and the America they inhabit. It is a series of incidents following familiar themes of kidnapping and rescue, disaster and salvation, sickness and carefully recaptured health, accusation and jail. Secrets are discovered and shared, there's sex scenes and a rape scene as another Fraser family member takes their improbable turn again as victim (what are the chances that three members of a family would be raped, one twice?)Finally,a decision is ...more
LJ
Breath of Snow and Ashes - Ex
Gabaldon, Diana - 6th in series
The year is 1772, and on the eve of the American Revolution, the long fuse of rebellion has already been lit. Men lie dead in the streets of Boston, and in the backwoods of North Carolina, isolated cabins burn in the forest.

With chaos brewing, the governor calls upon Jamie Fraser to unite the backcountry and safeguard the colony for King and Crown. But from his wife Jamie knows that three years hence the shot heard round the world will
B the BookAddict

The mind boggles at just how much history Gabaldon has written into this novel. While the Outlander series may seem to some as an over-written tome for Jamie Fraser hysterics, the dearth of American history enfolded is quite amazing. I have much admiration for the author. A hearty 4.5★
Catherine
Whew. That was more than a marathon. What the Olympic sport where they ski and shoot stuff? This book is like that but add in finding a needle in a haystack, cutting gum from your hair, trying to remove blood stains from every item of clothing you wear every day for 6 months, participating in a spelling bee in a language you don't speak, and running for president in a country on another planet. Whew.

There is a lot going on here. SO MUCH GOING ON HERE. I've sort of learned to love Roger more, bu
Michelle
To quote a dear friend of mine, Diana is back on track with this one!

The 6th in the Outlander series started off a bit slow for me, but I was able to get sucked in once again. There is lots of romance and lots of drama on Fraser's Ridge as Jamie, Claire, family, and friends prepare themselves for the upcoming Revolutionary War.

And damn Diana for making me like Brianna after me being so annoyed with her in Fiery Cross. I am impressed when writers can turn your opinion around regarding characters.
Michelle
The first book had me completely absorbed in the little details and fascinating plot, the second book made me angry by the huge jump in time and then made me happy, while the third book continued to hold my interest. The fourth book was a little slow. The fifth book made me wish for all that time spent listening back again because really, however many pages an author should devote to homesteading, Ms. Gabaldon surpassed it at least ten-fold. The sixth book frustrated me with its plodding story, ...more
❧Gwen❤❦
4 Stars

The Wonders of the Eighteenth Century.

I'm not a historical reader, I prefer to move beyond the 21st century, in time travel. But, historical, is still interesting if done well, and in this it is done exceptional well.

Time travel, I love is the idea of time travel and in reading this mammoth book series I found between the time travel and Jaime, I am hooked.

The writing, well there is an air about the writing, that makes for a grand read. In this one, book 6 of 900 plus pages is were I fi
Joana

description

" Give anything enough time, and everything is taken care of: all pain encompassed, all hardships erased, all loss subsumed.
Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Remember, man, that thou art dust; and unto dust thou shall return.
And If Time is anything akin to God, I suppose that Memory must be the Devil"

More than ever, that remote clipping from a newspaper still feels like a guillotine looming over their heads...it's the curse of having a bunch of time-travelers in the family, not only for that but kn
Shannon
**Not a complaint about the book, but a warning for anyone looking to read this book on audio. Amazon has this book set up so that it is not whisper whatever. So you cannot follow along with the audio and read in the same book (the other books highlight for you and you can pause and play audio from the book) You have to download the audio books. However note that these audio books come in 7 different parts, none of which are labeled with which section. I had to down load all 7 parts and pick aro ...more
Erica
"But-oh God! Did she tell ye how it happened?" -Jamie Fraser

"Yes. I'll tell you the gory details later." -Claire Fraser

That little snippet of dialogue pretty much sums up this entire book. IT WAS FREAKING AWESOME! I admit that I really was starting to lose interest in this series after The Fiery Cross because it was just so boring, but this one really made up for it in SPADES. Oh, the drama! The scandal! The gossip! The sex scenes were better! The dialogue and jokes were better! At times, I felt
Shelli
Wow....what a book! This was a long one to be sure. But, happily for me, back on par with Outlander and Voyager! After really loving the series through #3, the 4th and 5th books were somewhat disappointing for me. Both of them were way too long and I actually was bored in parts. The story left Scotland and Europe and came to the American colonies. The story started out ok but then got monotonous for me. I also didn't like what happened to some of the characters and felt some of them had very lit ...more
Holly
So I slogged through all 6000 some-odd pages of this and I truly hate myself because I actually want to read the next one when (if?) it comes out. I think the next story she set up is more interesting.

I guess I understand the appeal of these books. She tells a "ripping yarn" even though it takes her waaaaaaaaaaay too long to get there. Her characters are memorable. She has interesting details (albeit far too many of them.)

Far from great writing, but it's a good page turner and I must say I had
Donna
Fist read ... Jan 2012
Second read ... March 2013
First listen ... 2013
Second listen ... Oct/Nov 2014

This was my second reading and the story and DG's writing continues to amaze me. While I remembered the major events from my first read, it was the seemingly smaller moments that stood out to me this time. The story is packed full of family, adventure, love, heartbreak, trials and the enduring passion that is Jamie & Claire.

I would give this 6 stars if GR would allow it. Absolutely fell in love
Lori Anderson
I just have fallen completely in love with this series -- I bought them all in paperback, passed them on to a friend, and just bought them all in hardback, because I know I'll be reading them again. I finished this one last night, and joined a Yahoo group for folks who love these books, and was ECSTATIC to find out there are more coming! I thought this was the end! Unfortunately, I have to wait until the end of 2008 for the next one, but reading all of these in one fell swoop made me feel like I ...more
Ikonopeiston
Jan 18, 2009 Ikonopeiston rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ikonopeiston by: KJ from San Francisco
I grew bored when the action translated from Europe and especially from the highlands of Scotland to the Colonies. The book takes place in an area I know very well and I was able to visualize the scenery easily since I have actually been to many of the places mentioned. Maybe that is why I was bored.

It is extremely rare for me to not finish reading a book once I get started, however, I simply could not force myself to read the last third of this one. I feel guilty.
Whitney
Wow, I felt like there was a lot going on in this one. But, it felt like the story moved with more purpose, unlike the last one in the series. Loved it! Every last page.
Denise
this book was written in typical gabaldon fashion...one outrageous (albeit entertaining) incident after another. some of the big questions i had going in to the book (such as, the article about the fire killing jamie and claire, jemmy's paternity and will anyone travel back to the 1960's) were a tad anticlimatic. i won't get in to that as i don't want to give away any spoilers. but let's just say i was a little surprised (and let down) at the way some of the events turned out. overall, i am a hu ...more
Natalia815
No sé como lo hace Diana, pero después de 6 libros sigo enamoradísima de la historia.

Sufro con los protagonistas y todos los personajes que los rodean. He de reconocer, que en varios momento de este libro lo he pasado muy mal. No tienen ni un momento de paz y tranquilidad.

No creo que tarde mucho en leer el próximo libro. Necesito saber como continúa la historia.

Esta saga es totalmente adictiva, si no has leído nada de ella ¿ A qué estas esperando?
Edee Fallon
Time is a lot of the things people say that God is.

There's the always preexisting, and having no end. There's the notion of being all powerful—because nothing can stand against time, can it? Not mountains, not armies.

And time is, of course, all-healing. Give anything enough time, and everything is taken care of: all pain encompassed, all hardships erased, all loss subsumed.

And if Time is anything
Linds
This book is wonderful! I think it's definitely the best in the series since the first one. In some ways it's almost better because the characters have grown and matured and by this point I as the reader know them so much better.

The Fiery Cross was hard to get through, and Diana Gabaldon really got back on track with this one. The pace and melodrama mixed in with a factual historical novel about the Revolutionary War makes this engaging, educational, and above all an entertaining and romantic re
  • Lake in the Clouds (Wilderness, #3)
  • The Blood of Roses (Highlands, #2)
  • Rivals for the Crown (Highland, #2)
  • A Highlander's Homecoming (Daughters of the Glen, #6)
  • Falls the Shadow  (Welsh Princes, #2)
  • The Rose Garden
  • The Immortal Highlander (Highlander, #6)
  • The Summer Garden (The Bronze Horseman, #3)
  • Now Face to Face
  • A Dance Through Time (MacLeod, #1)
  • The Viper (Highland Guard, #4)
  • Seduced by a Highlander (Children of the Mist, #2)
  • The Betrayal of the Blood Lily (Pink Carnation, #6)
  • Untamed (MacKinnon's Rangers, #2)
Diana Jean Gabaldon Watkins grew up in Flagstaff, Arizona and is of Mexican-American and English descent. She has earned three degrees: a B.S. in Zoology, a M.S. in Marine Biology, and a Ph.D in Ecology.

She currently lives in Scottsdale, Arizona .
More about Diana Gabaldon...
Outlander (Outlander, #1) Dragonfly in Amber (Outlander, #2) Voyager (Outlander, #3) Drums of Autumn (Outlander, #4) The Fiery Cross (Outlander, #5)

“Time is a lot of the things people say that God is. There's always preexisting, and having no end. There's the notion of being all powerful-because nothing can stand against time, can it? Not mountains, not armies. And time is, of course, all-healing. Give anything enough time, and everything is taken care of: all pain encompassed, all hardship erased, all loss subsumed. Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Remember, man, that thou art dust; and unto dust thou shalt return.

And if time is anything akin to God, I suppose that memory must be the devil.”
89 likes
“If I die," he whispered in the dark, "dinna follow me. The bairns will need ye. Stay for them. I can wait.” 84 likes