The Dark Angel (Anders Knutas, #6)

The Dark Angel (Anders Knutas #6)

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  317 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Inspector Anders Knutas is back in the sixth installment of Mari Jungstedt's dark and compelling series of crime novels, set on the island of Gotland. This crime adventure builds on the already strong series, which combines chilling atmosphere, razor sharp plot twists and a brilliant cast of subtly crafted characters. In "The Dark Angel", Jungstedt's writing is as thrillin...more
Published March 29th 2012 by Doubleday (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Dark Angel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dark Angel

Larraine
Is it just me or are a lot of Scandinavian writer obsessed with damaged people? I've read a number of different writers who all feature a nameless person talking about his mother or father or both who abused him physically and/or mentally. Maybe they don't have any other kind of crime there? Or perhaps their readers just love this stuff. Actually I did too, but it was really intense. This is not the first book by this author, so I do have some catching up to do. The books take place on Gotland I...more
Jim Nolt
In "Dark Angel," Mari Jungstedt's sixth Anders Knutas novel, murder again comes to the Swedish island of Gotland. When event planner Vicktor Algård is found murdered in an empty room of the new convention center in Visby, suspicion quickly focuses on his secret lover, Veronika Hammar. But when, a short time later, Hammar herself becomes a target for murder, the Visby police force, under the leadership of Anders Knutas, are forced to widen their search.

This novel, the sixth in Jungstedt's Anders...more
Richard
Sep 12, 2012 Richard rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
A good traditional whodunnit. 6th outing for Anders Knutas and his team; all the main characters are involved and time given to allow their back stories to be developed further.
This is an old fashioned crime mystery, well written as the detectives rush to find a killer before they strike again.
I really like this author, her detectives are realistic and human and try to maintain an open mind and exclude no clue or potential suspect.
It also focuses on families, for good or ill and makes your refl...more
Rikke
Jeg elsker Mari Jungstedt, og ogsaa denne gang gik det hurtigt med at læse bogen, fordi den var god.
En' ting irriterede mig dog grænseløst.

Da morderen er på cafe'en, bliver der igen og igen sagt han ikke sagde et ord. Alligevel bestilte han et stykke kage og en ramlose. Og så må han jo unægeligt alligevel have sagt et par ord...
Pamela

Family Tangles Abound

Is it just me, or do any other readers find Anders Knutas' obsession about his friendship with co-worker Karin Jacobsson to be, well, a little over-worked in this series? In Dark Angel, this obsession gets a little reality nudge, but not far enough in my opinion. When will Anders get it that his emotional involvement with Karin goes beyond the boundary of healthy concern? It keeps him happy in his job. And this is not one-sided. As the saying goes, it takes two to tango. B

Barbara
DARK ANGEL
Mari Jungstedt
Set on the island of Gotland, an island about 60 miles off the southeastern coast of Sweden, and featuring Detective Superintendent Anders Knutas, and reporter Johan Berg. The island is connected to Stockholm by a ferry that runs back and forth. Gotland has become a magnet for partygoers and solace-seekers.
The story opens with the thoughts of an unknown person. The thoughts run over the childhood and the relationship with the mother, a description that leads us to believ...more
Ingrid Verschelling

Ook deze roman is een deel van een serie: 1. Die je niet ziet 2. Dichterbij dan je denkt 3. De goden verzoeken 4. Verwrongen levens 5. In die heerlijke zomertijd 6. Bittere vrucht

Deze zesde roman van Mari Jungstedt speelt zich af op het Zweedse eiland Gotland. Het is een toeristische eiland en de zomer nadert, dus wordt het weer druk met vakantiegangers. De politie heeft te maken met een zware mishandeling van een jongen in een discotheek. Deze wordt uitgebaat door Viktor Algård. Hij heeft hiero...more
Marleen
That rating should be read as 4.5 stars.

A new conference centre is officially opened in Visby, Gotland and everybody who is anybody is present, including Inspector Anders Knutas and his wife. It appears that the evening has been a huge success until the next day, when the body of Viktor Algard, the glamorous party-planner, is found in the centre by cleaners. It soon becomes clear that Algard died as a result of cyanide poisoning and Kuntas and his team start an investigation.
It isn’t long befor...more
Danielle
The inconsistency in Knutas' title between the cover and the content was irritating; is he an inspector or a superintendent? A factual error relating to Afro-Dite was also annoying, but I assume that was to do with the editing on the translation side unfortunately. Otherwise a good read.
Kathy S
I read this in Enlish, but the search wouldn't find the English version. I really like this series set on the Swedish island of Gotland. Johan's ups and downs with Emma need to butt out of the series, but otherwise it's pretty good.
Linda  Branham Greenwell
The next book in the series of Gotland island in Sweden
Inspector Knutas is having some concerns in his family - with his children. And he learns Karin's secret - and wishes he didn't know it
The mystery is a good "whodunit" - with lots of good character development
It starts with the poisoning murder at the opening of a new building..... the man murdered is the man in charge of preparing the opening events. So, the search begins... who wanted to murder him? Was it because of the controversy over t...more
Estibaliz79
La enésima novela negra nórdica, en su línea... lo que se agradece, no os vayáis a pensar. Como de costumbre, en lugar de grandes tramas, crímenes más cotidianos o familiares, sin que falte su dosis oscura, que para algo el título original de esta novela es ese 'Ángel Oscuro' que aquí se ha traducido como "La Falsa Sonrisa".

Una historia que pasa rápidamente, y probablemente para bien, de 'la artista y su amante' a 'una madre y sus hijos'. Amena, fácil de leer, no sé porque tenía yo la impresión...more
Anna
I don't know how it happened but I'm starting to like the series quite a bit.
The characters, the locale, the past, the passions and other forces driving the characters to do what they are about to. Good stuff.
Diane Colborn
I enjoyed the theme of parenting woven in the mystery and in the lives of the detectives and journalist.
I like Jungstedt's books - the plots are well-paced, I like the portraits of life on Gotland - but this one frustrated me because the killer was apparent less than half way into the book. Blah! I kept reading, hoping I would be wrong, but no.... (I swear, this is not a humblebrag about my sleuthing abilities - it was just so apparent).
Sue
Lots of twists and turns in this murder mystery, which kept me guessing. Enjoyable. Saw this as part of a Nordic Noir promotion at the village library, and I'll look out for more by this Swedish author - and brush up on my geography a bit, too.
Michael
Not one of her best. A bit dull to be honest.
Fizzycola
Tämä oli ensimmäinen lukemani Jungstedtin kirja - en ymmärrä miksi. Pidin kovasti, mutta viittaukset aikaisempiin kirjoihin vähän harmittivat koska aikomukseni on tutustua tarkemminkin tähän Gotlannista kirjoittavaan kirjailijaan. Ilmeisesti joudun alistumaan siihen, että luen niitä siinä järjestyksessä kuin mitä satun saamaan käsiini.
Pilvi
The book started with a real cliche: murder by poisoning. It made me question whether this book is good or not, but eventually I started liking it. It was easy to read, although the parts between where Simon talked were a little bit difficult to understand first, but then they spiced up the story nicely.
Noora
Bartek
Najsłabsza, do tej pory, powieść z Gotlandii.
Knutas nie może dojść do porozumienia z dziećmi.
Poza tym sielanka zburzona przypadkowym zatruciem cyjankiem. No i w tle morderstwo.
Nuda. Można se darować.
Kenneth Fredette
I was impressed with the way the whole story unfolded. And Karin's confession to Knutus was a heartbreaker.
Maria
This book is more like British mystery than American. a little slow to start, but the ending is fantastic. Wish it had described Sweden in a little more detail.
Jeannette Andersen
super spændende bog , som bare skal læses, god skærgårds ø krimi igen.
Hanna Andersen
Ok, easy to read and good. No real surprises or scares.
  • Der unglückliche Mörder. (Inspector Van Veeteren #7)
  • Summer Death: A Thriller
  • Änglamakerskan (Patrik Hedström, #8)
  • Livstid (Annika Bengtzon, #7)
  • A Raiz do Ódio
  • Evas Öga (Inspector Konrad Sejer #1)
  • Night Rounds (Inspector Huss #2)
  • Until Thy Wrath Be Past (Rebecka Martinsson, #4)
  • Blodläge (The Öland Quartet #3)
  • Horfðu á mig
  • Flickan under gatan
  • Frozen Moment (Christian Tell, #1)
  • Furðustrandir (Inspector Erlendur #11)
  • Dregs (William Wisting #6)
  • The Viper
Mari Jungstedt is a Swedish journalist and popular crime fiction author.

Jungstedt worked as a reporter on Swedish national public radio and television, and was an occasional presenter on TV4's daily talk show Förkväll.

Her first three novels are set on the island of Gotland and feature Detective Superintendent Anders Knutas and the journalist Johan Berg. Two of her novels were filmed for Swedish TV...more
More about Mari Jungstedt...
Unseen (Anders Knutas, #1) Unspoken (Anders Knutas, #2) The Inner Circle (Anders Knutas, #3) Dead of Summer (Anders Knutas, #5) Killer's Art (Anders Knutas, #4)