Start by marking “The Dark Angel (Anders Knutas, #6)” as Want to Read:
The Dark Angel (Anders Knutas, #6)

The Dark Angel (Anders Knutas #6)

Inspector Anders Knutas is back in the sixth installment of Mari Jungstedt's dark and compelling series of crime novels, set on the island of Gotland. This crime adventure builds on the already strong series, which combines chilling atmosphere, razor sharp plot twists and a brilliant cast of subtly crafted characters. In "The Dark Angel", Jungstedt's writing is as thrillin ...more
Published March 29th 2012 by Doubleday (first published 2008)

Richard
Mar 14, 2012 Richard rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
A good traditional whodunnit. 6th outing for Anders Knutas and his team; all the main characters are involved and time given to allow their back stories to be developed further.
This is an old fashioned crime mystery, well written as the detectives rush to find a killer before they strike again.
I really like this author, her detectives are realistic and human and try to maintain an open mind and exclude no clue or potential suspect.
It also focuses on families, for good or ill and makes your refl
Euge
Nov 28, 2015 Euge rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: faves
Este es el sexto libro de la serie Gotland. En realidad es el primero que leo ya que se pueden leer desordenados. Cada uno trata de un caso policial diferente solo que los personajes principales siguen siendo los mismos en cada libro.

Lo que mas me gusto de este libro es que mezcla la vida de los personajes con el caso y ademas al estar narrado desde el punto de vista de varios de ellos llegas a conocerlos a fondo de verdad, te encariñas y los comprendes.

Tiene capitulos muy cortos lo que en mi ca
Ken Fredette
Jul 01, 2014 Ken Fredette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was impressed with the way the whole story unfolded. And Karin's confession to Knutus was a heartbreaker.
Rikke
Jul 11, 2012 Rikke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jeg elsker Mari Jungstedt, og ogsaa denne gang gik det hurtigt med at læse bogen, fordi den var god.
En' ting irriterede mig dog grænseløst.

Da morderen er på cafe'en, bliver der igen og igen sagt han ikke sagde et ord. Alligevel bestilte han et stykke kage og en ramlose. Og så må han jo unægeligt alligevel have sagt et par ord...
Gina
Dec 28, 2014 Gina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A well written mystery set in Gotland, Sweden, this book offers a murder that is influenced by events that took place many years before. It is the latest book in the series by the author with Detective Anders Knutas.
Jessica
Book six in a series that ought to be read in order. New cases but same main characters makes things really messed up if you read them in another order.
The case in this one didn't really catch or intrigue me but I liked the character-build going on in this book.
Elaine Tomasso
I have read and enjoyed the previous 5 books in the series but I feel Dark Angel is a bit of a letdown. The plot - the poisoning of a local events planner - is extremely thin and could have been solved in a novella, maybe even a short story, if the police had done thorough background checks, which, obviously as a plot device, they didn't so we are left with a slim narrative padded with alternate chapters of somebody's miserable childhood. It all becomes clear about half way through but up until ...more
Jim Nolt
Jun 21, 2014 Jim Nolt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In "Dark Angel," Mari Jungstedt's sixth Anders Knutas novel, murder again comes to the Swedish island of Gotland. When event planner Vicktor Algård is found murdered in an empty room of the new convention center in Visby, suspicion quickly focuses on his secret lover, Veronika Hammar. But when, a short time later, Hammar herself becomes a target for murder, the Visby police force, under the leadership of Anders Knutas, are forced to widen their search.

This novel, the sixth in Jungstedt's Anders
Larraine
Jul 06, 2014 Larraine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Is it just me or are a lot of Scandinavian writer obsessed with damaged people? I've read a number of different writers who all feature a nameless person talking about his mother or father or both who abused him physically and/or mentally. Maybe they don't have any other kind of crime there? Or perhaps their readers just love this stuff. Actually I did too, but it was really intense. This is not the first book by this author, so I do have some catching up to do. The books take place on Gotland I ...more
Gloria Feit
Jan 03, 2015 Gloria Feit rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While ostensibly a murder mystery in the small Swedish town in which the Anders Knutas series is located, the theme running through the novel is the effect of a mother’s attitudes on her children, and the detective’s relationship with his son. The mystery concerns who killed event planner Viktor Algard with poison the night of the successful party opening a new conference center.

Initially, the question which arose was whether the murderer could have been someone who objected to the construction
Anna
May 21, 2014 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookcrossing, 2014
I don't know how it happened but I'm starting to like the series quite a bit.
The characters, the locale, the past, the passions and other forces driving the characters to do what they are about to. Good stuff.
Kathy Sales
Jun 16, 2014 Kathy Sales rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this in Enlish, but the search wouldn't find the English version. I really like this series set on the Swedish island of Gotland. Johan's ups and downs with Emma need to butt out of the series, but otherwise it's pretty good.
Moa Lundgren
Jan 03, 2017 Moa Lundgren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bra bok. Väldigt lättläst och en bra story helt enkelt.
William
Oct 26, 2016 William rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book has been translated and published in English which is what I read. The people interactions in this book are fairly interesting in places. It did not have the interesting geography and dark mystery of many other Scandinavian books of a similar type. Rather a disappointment in that regard. I probably will not read any more by this author.
Ingrid Verschelling
Apr 11, 2013 Ingrid Verschelling rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, scandie, thriller

Ook deze roman is een deel van een serie: 1. Die je niet ziet 2. Dichterbij dan je denkt 3. De goden verzoeken 4. Verwrongen levens 5. In die heerlijke zomertijd 6. Bittere vrucht

Deze zesde roman van Mari Jungstedt speelt zich af op het Zweedse eiland Gotland. Het is een toeristische eiland en de zomer nadert, dus wordt het weer druk met vakantiegangers. De politie heeft te maken met een zware mishandeling van een jongen in een discotheek. Deze wordt uitgebaat door Viktor Algård. Hij heeft hiero
Marleen
Apr 08, 2012 Marleen rated it really liked it
That rating should be read as 4.5 stars.

A new conference centre is officially opened in Visby, Gotland and everybody who is anybody is present, including Inspector Anders Knutas and his wife. It appears that the evening has been a huge success until the next day, when the body of Viktor Algard, the glamorous party-planner, is found in the centre by cleaners. It soon becomes clear that Algard died as a result of cyanide poisoning and Kuntas and his team start an investigation.
It isn’t long befor
Mette
Mar 12, 2017 Mette rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Barbara
DARK ANGEL
Mari Jungstedt
Set on the island of Gotland, an island about 60 miles off the southeastern coast of Sweden, and featuring Detective Superintendent Anders Knutas, and reporter Johan Berg. The island is connected to Stockholm by a ferry that runs back and forth. Gotland has become a magnet for partygoers and solace-seekers.
The story opens with the thoughts of an unknown person. The thoughts run over the childhood and the relationship with the mother, a description that leads us to believ
Ady Weasley
Nov 11, 2016 Ady Weasley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Este es el sexto libro de la saga de mmm la llamaré los crímenes de Gotland, la verdad este tipo de historia se ha convertido en uno de mis géneros favoritos.

sin embargo este libro, el cual a mi parecer es un 4.5, no me cautivo totalmente, a medio libro el sospechoso era algo predecible, me gusta que el misterio permanezca hasta el final.

sin embargo las historias de Knutas, Karin y Johan siguen el curso que hemos venido leyendo a través de los libros pasados.

No creo estar haciendo Spoiler de l
Camilla Laugesen
Jul 28, 2016 Camilla Laugesen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Viktor Algård af holder en storslået fest, med deltagelse af over 500 mennesker, i anledningen af åbningen af hans nye kulturhus i Visby. Han er en afholdt mand på Gotland og har arrangeret fester for gud og hver mand.

Anders Knutas og hans kone, den danske jordemoder, Line er også med til festen. Det er længe siden de har været ude sammen, alt er i den sidste tid gået op i arbejde og de trænger til en hyggelig aften. Det bliver det også.

Dagen efter findes Viktor Algård myrdet. Til festen bliver
Cassidy Kinsey
Entretenido pero nada del otro mundo. Fácil y rápido de leer. Si buscas un libro para leer en una semana, este es uno de ellos.
Pamela
Jul 23, 2014 Pamela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Family Tangles Abound

Is it just me, or do any other readers find Anders Knutas' obsession about his friendship with co-worker Karin Jacobsson to be, well, a little over-worked in this series? In Dark Angel, this obsession gets a little reality nudge, but not far enough in my opinion. When will Anders get it that his emotional involvement with Karin goes beyond the boundary of healthy concern? It keeps him happy in his job. And this is not one-sided. As the saying goes, it takes two to tango.

Marie France Asselbergh
Scandi crimi is hot, both in books as on TV. So it is only to be expected inferior work will jump on the bandwagon and enjoy the ride. It is astounding to me, that this is a 6th installment in an ongoing(!) series. The major character, inspector Knutas bumbles about in life and in his profession, for which he seems to have no specific skills. That said, the drama keeps unfolding in this story while the kindly but utter doormat stands by and looks on, allowing the tale to run its full course. Wei ...more
Linda  Branham Greenwell
The next book in the series of Gotland island in Sweden
Inspector Knutas is having some concerns in his family - with his children. And he learns Karin's secret - and wishes he didn't know it
The mystery is a good "whodunit" - with lots of good character development
It starts with the poisoning murder at the opening of a new building..... the man murdered is the man in charge of preparing the opening events. So, the search begins... who wanted to murder him? Was it because of the controversy over t
Estibaliz79
Apr 29, 2013 Estibaliz79 rated it liked it
La enésima novela negra nórdica, en su línea... lo que se agradece, no os vayáis a pensar. Como de costumbre, en lugar de grandes tramas, crímenes más cotidianos o familiares, sin que falte su dosis oscura, que para algo el título original de esta novela es ese 'Ángel Oscuro' que aquí se ha traducido como "La Falsa Sonrisa".

Una historia que pasa rápidamente, y probablemente para bien, de 'la artista y su amante' a 'una madre y sus hijos'. Amena, fácil de leer, no sé porque tenía yo la impresión
george burns
Mar 26, 2015 george burns rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding

A man is murdered with poison at a celebratory event attended by hundreds of people including the head of the police, Anders Knutas. He soon believes he is on the trail of a likely suspect, but then there is an attempt on the suspect's life. Who is the murderer and what can the motive possibly be? Could these attacks be related to the beating death of a teenager outside a nightclub owned by the murder victim? Knutas has plenty to ponder as he also deals with personal problems and the
Sharon
Jul 02, 2014 Sharon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ibook, purchased
My first book Dark Angel, Mari Jungstedt, Sweden. Three stars because it flowed and was an easy read with lovely short chapters! The personal lives and professional lives of the core characters were interesting. The mingling of the murders and possible causes were choppy and imo not totally realistic. I've never bought into the blame your parents for all your problems navel gazing movement. That said, nice writing.
Catherine Woodman
In true Scandinavian murder fashion, there is lots of blame to go around when the killer is finally revealed. The plot is clean and straight forward, although no less heartbreaking for those attributes. The heart of the problem is a very selfish mother who mistakenly has four children, each of which she messes up in her own way, some of them irrevocably. Quite good, especially if you like the genre.
Lis
Nov 24, 2014 Lis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-fiction
I enjoyed this one in the Anders Knutas series - though I got it out of order (I got two Mari Jungstedt books at once, and based on the copyright dates I thought this was the second one of the two, but the other one (The Double Silence) comes earlier in the sequence.
It didn't really matter (the main mystery is standalone) but I would have preferred to read this one before Double Silence because of events in the continuing characters' lives.
Pilvi
The book started with a real cliche: murder by poisoning. It made me question whether this book is good or not, but eventually I started liking it. It was easy to read, although the parts between where Simon talked were a little bit difficult to understand first, but then they spiced up the story nicely.
  • I grunden utan skuld (Sandhamn, #3)
  • The Viper
  • Night Rounds (Inspector Huss #2)
  • The Demon of Dakar
  • Må döden sova (Maria Wern #3)
  • Autumn Killing
  • Fear not (Vik & Stubø, #4)
  • Hour of the Wolf (Inspector Van Veeteren #7)
  • Livstid (Annika Bengtzon, #7)
  • Until Thy Wrath be Past (Rebecka Martinsson, #4)
  • Nights of Awe
  • Blodläge
  • Dregs (William Wisting #6)
Mari Jungstedt is a Swedish journalist and popular crime fiction author.

Jungstedt worked as a reporter on Swedish national public radio and television, and was an occasional presenter on TV4's daily talk show Förkväll.

Her first three novels are set on the island of Gotland and feature Detective Superintendent Anders Knutas and the journalist Johan Berg. Two of her novels were filmed for Swedish TV
More about Mari Jungstedt...

Anders Knutas (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Unseen (Anders Knutas, #1)
  • Unspoken (Anders Knutas, #2)
  • The Inner Circle (Anders Knutas, #3)
  • Killer's Art (Anders Knutas, #4)
  • The Dead of Summer (Anders Knutas #5)
  • Den dubbla tystnaden (Anders Knutas, #7)
  • Den farliga leken (Anders Knutas, #8)
  • Det fjärde offret (Anders Knutas, #9)
  • Den sista akten (Anders Knutas, #10)
  • Du går inte ensam (Anders Knutas, #11)